10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Let's face it, guys. The noise in this thread is getting kind of high.

Yep, it isn't exactly civil right now. I posted a 'rocks' thread just for some balance. Head over there to glorify the iPhone if you like :) The weekend is here and the negativity in this thread from all sides (me included) harshes my mellow. It seems pointless to post more in this thread until it gets back on topic.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Yep, it isn't exactly civil right now. I posted a 'rocks' thread just for some balance. Head over there to glorify the iPhone if you like :) The weekend is here and the negativity in this thread from all sides (me included) harshes my mellow. It seems pointless to post more in this thread until it gets back on topic.

"harshes my mellow" - excellent line.

samkim

Sep 27, 2004
Visit site
If you disagree with my reasoning, feel free to educate me. I am open to such information, despite your condescending tone.

You made an opinion, and presented it as fact. In the absence of info, I presented a contrarian view. Feel free to post evidence to support your view.

1.) Please define the early 90s. 91? 92? 93? Instead of me reading your mind, why don't you be specific? You said "since", so let's just say 1992-2007 - 15 years. I posted a link that shows 8 of those years, she was off the mark. Over 50% of the time. Please present your case.

2.) Yes, they do contradict your point. Present your case.

3.) Please go ahead, no excuses needed.

Re: calling me names, I will refrain from name calling, as I am giving you a chance to repsond.
1. Apparently you define opinion as anything you're not familiar with. Or have to google.
2. Projecting one market index is a very minor part of her job, which involves a more nuanced assessment of broader market conditions. Her directional guidance is much more meaningful to asset allocation decisions than these arbitrary numbers, but people analyze the numbers because they are easy to latch on to.
3. Your CXO link showed she was off for 2 to 4 years for her S&P projections, not 8 years as you claim. The author of that report ignored the 90s because that data didn't support his argument.
4. The 10/2002 CNN article on the JWA site describes the same few years. The author also incredulously describes AJC's S&P target of 1150 in 12 to 18 months - a rise of 47%. The S&P hit 1146 in 16 months.
5. Your iTulip link shows a period of 9 months. Why would you even post this? Do you understand why I said you're tiresome? You post over and over and over again, disputing a very safe statement, which is widely accepted to be true. (Again, none of the writers you cite contradict my point.) As I said, AJC is a "perpetual bull." She didn't see the bear market at the turn of the century, and so she was criticized for a couple of years. You cherry pick articles about those years, and act like you said something I didn't know. She has a 7 figure income because she's got a great deal of credibility among professional investors based on her track record.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
1. Apparently you define opinion as anything you're not familiar with. Or have to google.
2. Projecting one market index is a very minor part of her job, which involves a more nuanced assessment of broader market conditions. Her directional guidance is much more meaningful to asset allocation decisions than these arbitrary numbers, but people analyze the numbers because they are easy to latch on to.
3. Your CXO link showed she was off for 2 to 4 years for her S&P projections, not 8 years as you claim. The author of that report ignored the 90s because that data didn't support his argument.
4. The 10/2002 CNN article on the JWA site describes the same few years. The author also incredulously describes AJC's S&P target of 1150 in 12 to 18 months - a rise of 47%. The S&P hit 1146 in 16 months.
5. Your iTulip link shows a period of 9 months. Why would you even post this? Do you understand why I said you're tiresome? You post over and over and over again, disputing a very safe statement, which is widely accepted to be true. (Again, none of the writers you cite contradict my point.) As I said, AJC is a "perpetual bull." She didn't see the bear market at the turn of the century, and so she was criticized for a couple of years. You cherry pick articles about those years, and act like you said something I didn't know. She has a 7 figure income because she's got a great deal of credibility among professional investors based on her track record.

1.) Why so arrogant? I gave you a chance to politely respond, but instead you continue with the name calling.

Again, you don't define the early 90's. You still did not provide any evidence to back up your claim. You only critique what I posted. Um, that is does not prove your assertion.

2.) We were talking about analyst and the market, and now you shift to different topics, downplaying her indexing and talking about asset allocation and other stuff...you go off-topic. Extra unrelated sentences do not make your point.

3.) Please read post #1775 again. I never said she was wrong all 8 years, as you claim. I said MOST. The evidence holds, and you need read more carefully before asserting false statements of what I said.

4.) You post makes no sense. AJC predicted 1325-1400 for the end of 2002. The actual number was 880. She, and many others, were wrong bigtime.
http://agorareport.com/weekly_report.htm
How can you debate that?

5.) I understand you like no bad info on AJC, and ignore it when faced with it. It you want to pick some of your own data, go right ahead. It seems you get tired when you can't back up claims you make.

I'm sure AJC makes much more that seven figures, and I am sure she is an asset to GS. That still does not prove your point.

samkim

Sep 27, 2004
Visit site
1.) Why so arrogant? I gave you a chance to politely respond, but instead you continue with the name calling.
You keep making false statements. I respect people who don't make any false statements.

Again, you don't define the early 90's. You still did not provide any evidence to back up your claim. You only critique what I posted. Um, that is does not prove your assertion.
I don't have to prove anything. You're the one who attacked me without evidence.

2.) We were talking about analyst and the market, and now you shift to different topics, downplaying her indexing and talking about asset allocation and other stuff...you go off-topic. Extra unrelated sentences do not make your point.
It's the same topic. My point was that you narrowed the focus to a minor part of her job. Even by that measure she did well.

3.) Please read post #1775 again. I never said she was wrong all 8 years, as you claim. I said MOST. The evidence holds, and you need read more carefully before asserting false statements of what I said.
Yes you did. Read post #1831.

4.) You post makes no sense. AJC predicted 1325-1400 for the end of 2002. The actual number was 880. She, and many others, were wrong bigtime.
http://agorareport.com/weekly_report.htm
How can you debate that?
I didn't. As I said, she was wrong for a few years. But then she was right again.

5.) I understand you like no bad info on AJC, and ignore it when faced with it.
Again, no. I said she was right more than she was wrong. She's a perpetual bull; she was right through the 90s, wrong in the bear market for a few years, and then right again. This is common knowledge. You're disputing this by pointing at what everyone knows.

Since we're OT, I'll give you the last word. If you're consistent, you'll make another false claim, but I'll try to let it go. I look forward to more iPhone posts.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
You know, this bickering is turning me of my own thread.

Anyway, here is something a bit more on-topic.

I'm bored so I'll rant about the Calculator now

cowboy1964 07-28-2007 07:58

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm bored so I'll rant about the Calculator now

Amateur stuff to say the least. No delete. No Clear Entry. No square root.

An enhanced calculator to replace the stock one should be the first "real" app. someone creates. It should be easy enough once the ability to create apps. comes along. Once again, it's disappointing that Apple couldn't do it right to begin with. It makes one wonder how many programmers they actually have. A single newbie intern in a week should have been able to create something better than this.

FuzzyClam 07-28-2007 12:38

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess all the programmers that it took to make the thing work at all wasn't enough for you. The calculator's a real profit generator for Apple so they should spend heavily to make sure it works to your spec.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1211147

I see the apologists is in full swing, but when was the last time you saw a calculator without a CE button? And no % button either? It sure looks pretty though, doesnt it?

cmdpreviewinwebbrowserox2.jpg

I guess this is due to Jobs's phobia of buttons. Who will ever need a square root button? Surely less than 5 % of people. I wonder why a user should care about Apple's profit generators however...

Unfortunately this does not explain why the calculator does not save state properly...

At least you can load a new calculator apps anytime you want, cant you... cant you...

Surur

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
And no % button either? It sure looks pretty though, doesnt it?
Surur

I must say the calculator is lame....but I guess they don't think your average iPhone buyer needs to crunch figures.

maybe the average iPhone user knows how to calculate % using division? ;) just a thought, but definitely not an excuse for a % button being omitted. as for number crunching goes, i do all of that at work on the PC.

sxtg

Jun 7, 2004
Visit site
An enhanced calculator to replace the stock one should be the first "real" app.

Why do people keep insisting that apple will open it for 3rd party apps? Is that the last frontier of hope for this V 1.000000000000001 Godsend?

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I think they didn't include the extra features because it would take away from the simplicity of the interface. Which is exactly what appears to be wrong with the iPhone. In an effort to make it simple to use, they made it too simple. This would be 100% ok had they let 3rd parties develop more apps. And my buying one 100% hinges on them adding 3rd party access, which they have shown no indication of doing. Apple (Stevo?) is particularly stubborn to admit when they were wrong about something, so my guess is the iPhone will sit back without this constant innovation from its usersbase while other platforms play catch-up with their own interfaces. Will Apple see the light before others make slick interfaces? I doubt it.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Jawbone vs. Apple bluetooth

I now have one of each, so I can give a little bit of a comparison.

The apple is clearly smaller and lighter. The audio quality is about the same from each (so far). I can't really tell them apart.

I'm not real happy with the fit of either, but at least, because of the earhook, the jawbone doesn't fall off.

Jawbone is less sensitive to distance from the iphone (to be expected, i suppose, due to its increased size). The difference is not much, though. I still think that people who are disappointed with the ability to roam far from the phone are used to much bigger earphones.

People on the other end of the call don't seem to have a preference, but I haven't yet tried the jawbone in a high-noise situation.

Pairing was easy (just holding a button for a few seconds) but not as easy as the apple (which just needs to be placed in the same dock as the phone to pair). For some reason I didn't have to enter a code on the iphone, despite directions in the jawbone documentation.

So far my wife prefers the apple, and i prefer the jawbone, primarily due to fit issues. (my ears are such that in-ear phones always fall out unless they have compressible foam tips). The jawbone come with 4 ear hooks and 4 ear pieces, but it really comes down to two sizes of each (2 each for left and right ears).

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I think they didn't include the extra features because it would take away from the simplicity of the interface. Which is exactly what appears to be wrong with the iPhone. In an effort to make it simple to use, they made it too simple. This would be 100% ok had they let 3rd parties develop more apps. And my buying one 100% hinges on them adding 3rd party access, which they have shown no indication of doing. Apple (Stevo?) is particularly stubborn to admit when they were wrong about something, so my guess is the iPhone will sit back without this constant innovation from its usersbase while other platforms play catch-up with their own interfaces. Will Apple see the light before others make slick interfaces? I doubt it.

I think the real reason is that building security has improved:

http://www.pacifict.com/Story/

Personally, if it ain't an HP-48 emulator, I ain't interested in using it, anyway. (And for those of you complaining about lack of a "%" key, you are either mathematically illiterate or, more likely, calculator heathens who labor under the mistaken belief that calculators also need "=" keys. This is the only proper calculator keyboard (and it ain't got no %):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:HP48G.jpg

I started writing my own RPN web-based calculator but stopped to focus on games. Maybe I'll get back to it.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
The calculator is obviously a minor issue, but with no clear entry and no backspace key, when you make any mistake in keying you will have to start all over again. This is emblamatic of how Apple makes things more complicated by making them too simple.

And with no 3rd party apps there is no way of fixing these issues either.

Surur

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
There certainly is a way to fix the calculator problem. There are plenty of third party web-based calculators, and since these are generally javascript rather than server-based, they can either be cached or stored in a bookmark using the data: trick (there's already a website, pagemarks (? can't remember), where you can create these bookmarks from html pages, pdfs, word docs, etc.)

Yes, not ideal, but "no way of fixing these issues" is not entirely accurate.

sxtg

Jun 7, 2004
Visit site
I think the real reason is that building security has improved:

http://www.pacifict.com/Story/

Personally, if it ain't an HP-48 emulator, I ain't interested in using it, anyway. (And for those of you complaining about lack of a "%" key, you are either mathematically illiterate or, more likely, calculator heathens who labor under the mistaken belief that calculators also need "=" keys. This is the only proper calculator keyboard (and it ain't got no %):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:HP48G.jpg

I started writing my own RPN web-based calculator but stopped to focus on games. Maybe I'll get back to it.

Maybe V 2.0000000000001 will just come with a pencil and a pad of paper :rolleyes:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
The calculator is obviously a minor issue, but with no clear entry and no backspace key, when you make any mistake in keying you will have to start all over again. This is emblamatic of how Apple makes things more complicated by making them too simple.

And with no 3rd party apps there is no way of fixing these issues either.

Surur
Use Google. Google is your friend.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
There certainly is a way to fix the calculator problem. There are plenty of third party web-based calculators, and since these are generally javascript rather than server-based, they can either be cached or stored in a bookmark using the data: trick (there's already a website, pagemarks (? can't remember), where you can create these bookmarks from html pages, pdfs, word docs, etc.)

Yes, not ideal, but "no way of fixing these issues" is not entirely accurate.

Yeah, but me personally, I don't want to use web apps. I want full 3rd party apps. I want all the types of apps I have on my Palm: a music sequencer, photo editing, more advanced datebook, IM app of my choice, games, and anthing else I see released that seems useful and interesting. And IMO all these could be done spectacularly with the iPhone and multitouch. It just seems like such a waste of potential. I'll just wait and see what happens in the next year or so, my 'best bet' is that Apple will make my next device but that really hinges on real 3rd party support.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
braj - that's a different issue.

limiting discussion to calculator, a web-based calculator stored on the iphone would be virtually indistinguishable from a native calculator, the main difference being you need to click more times to get to it and the bottom of the calc would have the web toolbar (many apps, mine included, eliminate the addressbar).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2