10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

samkim

Sep 27, 2004
Visit site
I think you need to provide a little evidence if you want to state something as fact, rather than your opinion.

Here are the past eight years:

http://www.cxoadvisory.com/gurus/Cohen/

You offered her as an analyst who is right most of the time. Obviously, this is not true, although she may be "more right" (but still wrong) than her peers.
Obviously you fail at reasoning.

1. Since the early 90s. Try reading that a few times. How many years have there been since the early 90s?

2. When you said, "um, apparently not," you were wrong. When you said, "Obviously, this is not true," you were wrong. None of your links contradict my statement that she was right more than she was wrong since the early 90s.

3. I wouldn't mind educating you if your self-confidence weren't so out of line with your actual knowledge.

You're a tiresome person.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Mmmm - even the snazzy UI can not make up for poor voice quality.

- My first iPhone lockup today and reception issue

racer8297 07-27-2007 01:08

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My first iPhone lockup today and reception issue

I've had my iPhone for 11 days today. Today was the first day that I went on a business trip with it. It was a 2 1/2 hour drive each way so I downloaded an audio book. I set off on my trip and started listening to the book. After about 2 hours I started to get phone calls. So, the book fades out and I take the phone call. No problem. I finish the call and the book comes back on. Great! About 10 minutes later I get another call. While I am on that call another call came. I switched back and forth, no problem. I hung up from the last call and quit the audio book by holding the home button until it closed. I went to make call, no problem. After that call I went to make another call but guess what! The phone was totally locked up. I pushed the home button for more than 10 seconds, no response. I tried the sleep button, no response. So, I had to push the sleep and home button at the same time to reboot the phone. After it restarted, it worked normally.

The other issue was the reception. I was in NYC. I notice that on some side street, even though the signal meter show 4 or 5 bars, the person that I am talking to becomes totally garbled. They can hear me fine but I cannot understand a work that they are saying.

Just thought I'd share my observations of the day :)

BIGMERF 07-27-2007 01:18

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

guess ya cant multitask to much..lol.. reception in nyc is funny. sometimes im ok and sometimes im not..may be its the buidings, polution, etc..lol

racer8297 07-27-2007 01:53

I guess my point is that this is a really slick phone but it certainly has some anomalies that need fixing. I can have better conversations on $49.00 phones than this $500-$600 phone. Something is just wrong with that scenario.

I sure hope that they can fix these things with software/firware updates. Or I'm going to be pissed! Right now my inclination is to return this phone (which is my second, BTW) before the 14 days and wait and see if they fix these bugs.

jameskk 07-27-2007 01:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer8297
I've had my iPhone for 11 days today. Today was the first day that I went on a business trip with it. It was a 2 1/2 hour drive each way so I downloaded an audio book. I set off on my trip and started listening to the book. After about 2 hours I started to get phone calls. So, the book fades out and I take the phone call. No problem. I finish the call and the book comes back on. Great! About 10 minutes later I get another call. While I am on that call another call came. I switched back and forth, no problem. I hung up from the last call and quit the audio book by holding the home button until it closed. I went to make call, no problem. After that call I went to make another call but guess what! The phone was totally locked up. I pushed the home button for more than 10 seconds, no response. I tried the sleep button, no response. So, I had to push the sleep and home button at the same time to reboot the phone. After it restarted, it worked normally.

The other issue was the reception. I was in NYC. I notice that on some side street, even though the signal meter show 4 or 5 bars, the person that I am talking to becomes totally garbled. They can hear me fine but I cannot understand a work that they are saying.

Just thought I'd share my observations of the day :)

I would not close applications by holding the home button unless the app is locked up. you said you used this method to close an app for no reason. this forces the app to shutdown and can cause memory leaks (at least it does on OS X when you force quit an app).

ragweed 07-27-2007 02:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskk
I would not close applications by holding the home button unless the app is locked up. you said you used this method to close an app for no reason. this forces the app to shutdown and can cause memory leaks (at least it does on OS X when you force quit an app).

How else would you close an application other than pushing the home button? Or are you differentiating between pushing vs holding?

ferniesp 07-27-2007 02:30

garble

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer8297
I guess my point is that this is a really slick phone but it certainly has some anomalies that need fixing. I can have better conversations on $49.00 phones than this $500-$600 phone. Something is just wrong with that scenario.

I sure hope that they can fix these things with software/firware updates. Or I'm going to be pissed! Right now my inclination is to return this phone (which is my second, BTW) before the 14 days and wait and see if they fix these bugs.

I get the exact same thing and I have had 4 of these phones. I live in Southern Cal where my signal is solid!!!! On the freeway today, total garble with the AT&T tech on the phone. I duplicated this with an Apple tech. They having nothing to say about as they are perplexed. There is no doubt in my mind that the Iphone is subpar as a phone when moving around. If I am in my office or somewhere stationary, the garble is not as bad. I have searched many an online review and the garble talk and volume are very common complaints. In no way will I keep this phone if there is not a fix. I have to have a phone that is consistantly solid while driiving.

If this comes to pass, I will sell my 8 gig to anyone in here for $600.00 shipped. Lets hope it doesn't come to this.

ferniesp 07-27-2007 05:54

Am I missing something here? There are tons of online reviews that talk about the low volume, garble and ambient noise. Are people in this forum so convinced that this Iphone does not have these problems? Don't get me wrong, I love the darn thing when it's working well. The problem I have is that I don't know if I can depend on it for consistant calls. Even in this forum, people start to talk about these problems only to be shot down with the idea that we are deaf and that the Iphone is pefectly fine when it comes to call quality.
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1210304

Surur

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
BT in general is sucky protocol in general. It's been around forever, and never done well (as well as the theory).

Maybe BT 3.0 will solve all our problems....
I do not think that it is a protocol problem. More likely an implementation problem. If it were a protocol problem, it would be necessary to account for the many very good implementations.

My Plantronics stereo phones work very well. They work well with my Treo and my iPod. (When the little thingy finally ships, I expect them to work well with my iPhone. ) They work well for stereo music, switch to the phone when it rings, and automatically go back to music when the call ends. I can walk away from the Treo while wearing it.

Over the last w/e I rode one hundred miles in what one can only describe as a BT BMW. Great implementation.

I think that the problems that we have with BT headsets for phones is a design problem that centers around power management. Designing for light weight, RF power, long life, and quick recharge is difficult. I have a Motorola that uses a AAA battery. If one can stand the weight (I cannot), it has good performance and very long life. I think that one reason the performance of my Plantronics stereo headset it so good that has a big battery at both ends of the BT.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Um, I hate to say this, but if you look at your post that I quoted you were the one that mentioned right after AT&T posted their activations, it was far less than the 500,000 to 1 million estimated. Obviously you were therefore implying that people estimated Apple would sell upwards of 1 million units in the first 30 hours (the length of time the iPhone was for sale in AT&Ts quarter). I have never seen these estimations on the first 30 hours, but clearly you must have. Please post your source for us all to share. Still so very hard to admit that you were wrong. Keep firing away Gordon Gekko, you market analysis is fascinating.

I implied no such thing; again, you are trying (endlessly) to twist and twist.

I posted the source of iPhone estimate several times; the fact you ignore them is unfortunate for you.

Since I never made any predictions, I can't see how I was wrong in stating that initial activations were less than WS analyst forecasts.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
I implied no such thing; again, you are trying (endlessly) to twist and twist.

I posted the source of iPhone estimate several times; the fact you ignore them is unfortunate for you.

Since I never made any predictions, I can't see how I was wrong in stating that initial activations were less than WS analyst forecasts.

Lets connect the dots for Gordon Gekko here.

1. AT&T releases initial Activation numbers for first 30 hours.
2. Gordon claims Apple missed the mark of 500,000 to 1 million sold for first weekend.
3. Gordon claims "Reality sucks for fanboys."
4. Gordon claims iPhone sales are slowing due to his own field research at mall.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Obviously you fail at reasoning.

1. Since the early 90s. Try reading that a few times. How many years have there been since the early 90s?

2. When you said, "um, apparently not," you were wrong. When you said, "Obviously, this is not true," you were wrong. None of your links contradict my statement that she was right more than she was wrong since the early 90s.

3. I wouldn't mind educating you if your self-confidence weren't so out of line with your actual knowledge.

You're a tiresome person.

If you disagree with my reasoning, feel free to educate me. I am open to such information, despite your condescending tone.

You made an opinion, and presented it as fact. In the absence of info, I presented a contrarian view. Feel free to post evidence to support your view.

1.) Please define the early 90s. 91? 92? 93? Instead of me reading your mind, why don't you be specific? You said "since", so let's just say 1992-2007 - 15 years. I posted a link that shows 8 of those years, she was off the mark. Over 50% of the time. Please present your case.

2.) Yes, they do contradict your point. Present your case.

3.) Please go ahead, no excuses needed.

Re: calling me names, I will refrain from name calling, as I am giving you a chance to repsond.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
I do not think that it is a protocol problem. More likely an implementation problem. If it were a protocol problem, it would be necessary to account for the many very good implementations.

My Plantronics stereo phones work very well. They work well with my Treo and my iPod. (When the little thingy finally ships, I expect them to work well with my iPhone. ) They work well for stereo music, switch to the phone when it rings, and automatically go back to music when the call ends. I can walk away from the Treo while wearing it.

Over the last w/e I rode one hundred miles in what one can only describe as a BT BMW. Great implementation.

I think that the problems that we have with BT headsets for phones is a design problem that centers around power management. Designing for light weight, RF power, long life, and quick recharge is difficult. I have a Motorola that uses a AAA battery. If one can stand the weight (I cannot), it has good performance and very long life. I think that one reason the performance of my Plantronics stereo headset it so good that has a big battery at both ends of the BT.

Agreed. Implementations are horrible, but I still think there are issues with the protocol. (maybe an 80/20, 90/10 sort of thing.)

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Lets connect the dots for Gordon Gekko here.

1. AT&T releases initial Activation numbers for first 30 hours.
2. Gordon claims Apple missed the mark of 500,000 to 1 million sold for first weekend.
3. Gordon claims "Reality sucks for fanboys."
4. Gordon claims iPhone sales are slowing due to his own field research at mall.

Connecting dots is for 4 year olds, which may be the extent of your reasoning skills. The above dellusion seems to be growing.

Here are the posts, plain and clear. Reading is what adults do. They address whatever issues you had:

#1618, 1621, 1702.

Unfortunately, instead of recognizing and addressing the content, you want to jump all over me. I'm sorry mommy took away the breast too soon, or that you got picked on at school or whatever reason you are so angry that you've latched onto me.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Mmmm - even the snazzy UI can not make up for poor voice quality.
lol
I can have better conversations on $49.00 phones than this $500-$600 phone. Something is just wrong with that scenario.
Though I've heard that this is the case with a lot of GSM phones here in the U.S., you'd figured VC would be outstanding on this phone. Oh well.

Keep up the posts Surur to return this thread to normal...:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner