10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
So please explain this comment when AT&T announced their iPhone activations in the first 30 hours of sales.

Anyway, I look foward to your future analysis and first hand observations of how iPhone sales are slowing down after your next trip to the local mall.

Let me see if I can make it any clearer:

- Hype around iPhone sales was stratospheric
- On 7/3, many analyst were saying 300, 500, 700K sales in first weekend
- iPhone Fanboys start claiming 1M in first week
- Reality come in AT&T announcement of 147K activates.
- Fanboys hopes dashed, hence the "sucks" comment.

Now this is not to be construed with Apple's overall performance, which is good. Nor should it be construed as the iPhone having a sucky launch - I have said many times they will sell a ton of them. I also think they sold at an unprecidented rate; as you may recall if you read earlier posts, this product was lauched like a movie, and unlike other product before it.

Now I don't know if Apple's 270K makes the iPhone fanboys (I think I will start delineating between Apple/Mac fanboys and iPhone fanboys, as they seem to be a varied breed). I would say that the market likes those numbers, but I would also say the strength of the Mac and iPod sales were the real bump for that quarter.

The next two quarters will be very interesting.

And yes, if you own Apple stock (I do), seeing the company double in less that a year is nice.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
From the Apple Conf. Call today, during the questions and answer part near the end.....

"How many iPhones did AT&T stores have left over?" Most of their stores were stocked out, but there were still some in transit to AT&T at the end of quarter. 270K includes some AT&T store iPhones."

You sure you don't work for CIBC MikeC?

Nope, don't work for them. "Most stores" do not equal all stores.

By the way, we should say in the same temporal realm when discussing iPhone availability; there were less available during the first several days, but this week, they are no hard to come by.

I know staying on topic is hard for you, but try. Jumping around makes you seem incoherent.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Nope, don't work for them. "Most stores" do not equal all stores.

By the way, we should say in the same temporal realm when discussing iPhone availability; there were less available during the first several days, but this week, they are no hard to come by.

I know staying on topic is hard for you, but try. Jumping around makes you seem incoherent.

Wow, you have really changed tour tune in a couple of days. To bad you didn't write this a few days ago when you wouldn't have to explain your past comments with back tracking.

You still have failed to answer how apple could have sold 1 million units in the first 30 hours when there weren't even that many available.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
You gotta love it mobileman. The windows fanboys like mikeC were chomping at the bit for apple to report dismal sales of the iphone with comments like "reality sucks for apple fanboys" just prior to the earnings reports.

It didn't happen, and in fact apple's stock exploded on the news so now they try backpeddling with comments like ," well I never said this or never said that" or "yeah, the iphone sales were amazing but not "insanely amazing". pfft. Come on. Who's kidding who?

You just have to laugh at it, all the way to the bank if you're invested in apple as well. :)

For a first stab at the cellphone industry, the iphone is an absolute hit. period. Whether the sales matched predictions 100% perfectly or not, it's still a success and will only expand that success as it is made available to other carriers in both Europe and Asia in the coming year or so.

The 'doze fanboys would love to have been able to boast such a positive showing with WM smartphones on just a single carrier like this.

They can't, hence their constant displays of apple envy.

Pure entertainment, I say.

You're a surfer too, I see.

I am not a Windows fanboy or any other fanboy. I was not rooting against Apple (I own thier stock, remember), but only commenting on the iPhone sales vs hype.

If there is anyone spinning or being revisionist, it's the Appologists.

(I really should says iPhone apologists. It's apparent that's the rabidity of the iPhoniacs pales compared to Mac fanboys)

I love seeing Apple stock go up. But that doesn't mean some healthy discussion around the hype vs reality isn't warranted.

I am not backpeddling one bit. Show the posts and prove it, instead of false claims.

(Is that you again Archie?)

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Granted, the stock's explosive run up was also due to the impressive mac / ipod sales this quarter, but would not have been as remarkable had investors not perceived the iphone's numbers to be promising as well.

I think everyone agrees with this (more or less); the iPhone sales were seen as expected (or promising, as you call it.)

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
The 'doze fanboys would love to have been able to boast such a positive showing with WM smartphones on just a single carrier like this.

They can't, hence their constant displays of apple envy.
Really?

I for one could care less if WM does well or not. I like it, but at the end of the day...we're talking about a phone here. I'm hardly invested emotionally at all with my phone, the brand or the OS. If symbian were actually available on Sprint, or the Iphone or POSII or any other device, I'd try it out in a jiffy.

I think this is what separates Apple users from the rest of the world--that emotional-level commitment to their devices and branding, where any critique is perceived as "envy". It would appear from the forums that a lot of people here like WM but don't gush at numbers, stock or even bat an eye at "analyst" reports; it's only important to those who need to prove something or make up for some other deficiency (look at me! I'm psychoanalyzing like Jack...)

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Positive bias exists. "Almost all" is an exaggeration.

Part of the bias is due to the relationships between investment banks and their clients. Since companies rewarded investment banks for good coverage, analysts had to balance the needs of fund managers (who read their reports) with the needs of the corporations. That was diminished somewhat a couple years back through rules changes, but I'm sure it still exists in some form.

Most of the rest can be explained by the fact that analysts choose which companies they cover. Analysts generally don't waste their time covering stocks that no one owns or wants to buy. So of course they'll have positive ratings for the majority of stocks they cover. There's little point in spending countless hours and resources studying a company they've told their clients not to own - unless that company is a significant competitor to a more highly rated one.

You're correct in that performance is generally measured against major stock indexes, such as the S&P; and certainly every stock in the S&P 500 is covered by some analyst. But your claim of a mathematical proof that most analysts must be incorrect is wrong. Let's say there are 300 analysts, and each of them covers 30 stocks; they cover all 500 companies in the S&P, but not evenly. It's mathematically possible (though extremely unlikely) for all 300 analysts to beat the S&P. For example, they could each pick 2 underperformers along with the top 28 stocks.

To answer your question, Abby Joseph Cohen, Goldman's perpetual bull, has been right more often than wrong since the early 90s.

I suspect that you're confusing analysts with fund managers. It's well known that the majority of fund managers underperform the market average. But they're a different group of people, and their jobs and objectives are completey different.

I'm not aware of any comprehensive study of analyst performance (not bias) over a long period of time.

You mean this Abby Joseph Cohen?

http://www.itulip.com/awards.htm

and this one?

http://www.jwafinancialgroup.com/articles/Where_have_all_the_gurus_gone.html

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Wow, you have really changed tour tune in a couple of days. To bad you didn't write this a few days ago when you wouldn't have to explain your past comments with back tracking.

You still have failed to answer how apple could have sold 1 million units in the first 30 hours when there weren't even that many available.

I am changing nothing. You continue to lie without the posts to back it up. I have mentioned this twice, but since you can't do it, it's evident you just make up anything.

I never stated Apple would sell 1M in 30 hours (that is a complete invention by you). It was a whisper number for first week sales (source already cited), plus a blog post form an Apple fanboy citing an AT&T source. Don't shoot the messenger, surfer.

Just because you find it easier to lie than read, does not make your statements correct, surfer.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I think this is what separates Apple users from the rest of the world--that emotional-level commitment to their devices and branding, where any critique is perceived as "envy".

I think that comes from the premium price you pay for Apple stuff, and the need to justify that cost results in overboard defensiveness. I personally think the cost is worth it for most Apple products (except for mice, keyboards and stuff like that, they rip your *** with those). My old Powerbook is still going strong as a useful part of the family after 5 years (never have I had those kinds of legs on a Windows lappy). I told my wife we should give it to her dad last night and she protested loudly, saying, 'no, mine' like a 4 year old :)

Anyhow, it's the people that aren't secure with thier purchases I'm guessing are the most adamant about Apple being wholy superior to anything else.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
I think that comes from the premium price you pay for Apple stuff, and the need to justify that cost results in overboard defensiveness. I personally think the cost is worth it for most Apple products (except for mice, keyboards and stuff like that, they rip your *** with those). My old Powerbook is still going strong as a useful part of the family after 5 years (never have I had those kinds of legs on a Windows lappy). I told my wife we should give it to her dad last night and she protested loudly, saying, 'no, mine' like a 4 year old :)

Anyhow, it's the people that aren't secure with thier purchases I'm guessing are the most adamant about Apple being wholy superior to anything else.

Agree; there is a insecurity that many (at least those on Inet forums) around their Apple products. It's wierd. I like a lot of stuff Apple make, but I don't feel the need to bunch my panties when someone pooh-poohs my iPod, Mac, etc.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
I am changing nothing. You continue to lie without the posts to back it up. I have mentioned this twice, but since you can't do it, it's evident you just make up anything.

I never stated Apple would sell 1M in 30 hours (that is a complete invention by you). It was a whisper number for first week sales (source already cited), plus a blog post form an Apple fanboy citing an AT&T source. Don't shoot the messenger, surfer.

Just because you find it easier to lie than read, does not make your statements correct, surfer.

I can see why your upset. You went a little overboard with your comments about the AT&T activations, and now realize your negativity about the initial sales was unfounded. Instead of admitting you were wrong about your comments, you lash out and accuse me of lying (I only quoted what you posted).

You have posted continuously about failed expectations from analysts about not meeting the 1 millions sold point in the initial weekend. When I replied back with some common sense that its not even possible, you again try to distance yourself from your comments. You even go so far to try to further your assumption with first hand reports and a conversation with a salesman at your local apple store (probably a teenager making just above minimum wage). Very sad.

On top of that, you love to through around the term fanboy. I suppose to you I am an apple fanboy because I like my iPhone (its the only apple product I own). I'm sorry MikeC not everybody is going to agree with your opinions.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
On top of that, you love to through around the term fanboy. I suppose to you I am an apple fanboy because I like my iPhone (its the only apple product I own). I'm sorry MikeC not everybody is going to agree with your opinions.

I believe he made a distinction between Apple Fanboys and iPhone apologists :D

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
So much for that intuitive interface.

Delete swipe is unreliable

DylanG 07-24-2007 05:22 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delete swipe is unreliable

Anyone have a tip for making this work consistently. About half the time I either do a little scroll or end up going into the message. I feel like a tard.

plumbingandtech 07-24-2007 05:31 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

me too.

I iwsh they would do an update with a "delete all" option already :(

powerocool 07-24-2007 05:52 PM

I found that if you swipe from half way and make sure your finger swipes off the screen then it works better.

eescabar 07-24-2007 06:46 PM

Wirelessly posted (ipwn: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3)

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerocool
I found that if you swipe from half way and make sure your finger swipes off the screen then it works better.

I found the opposite to be true. Start at the beginning of the message and swipe half way. Seems to work best for me

It is a pain to delete only one email at a time. I had to start filtering all me email via gmail. I get a dump truck full of spam from a via a non- profit address that fowards to me!!!!

SheepNutz 07-24-2007 09:26 PM

For me, it seems to work better if I do it faster as opposed to slower.

DylanG 07-26-2007 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerocool (Post 3957885)

Thanks. This is working well for me now.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=333513

Surur

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site

True, and I never begrudge the "quality" of Apple products. They are svelte and high end to that extent. That's actually how I view the Foleo in comparison to say the Asus EEE (to divert the topic by way of analogy).

I guess I find it odd since I've never experienced that branding-loyalty that people have, as if it's an extension of themselves.

To get cliche...

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your :censored: khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing :censored: of the world.

At least now if I defend Palm I feel like I'm cheering for the underdog, where the odds are against them. Apple used to be like that now arrogance and elitism have taken over.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
I can see why your upset. You went a little overboard with your comments about the AT&T activations, and now realize your negativity about the initial sales was unfounded. Instead of admitting you were wrong about your comments, you lash out and accuse me of lying (I only quoted what you posted).

You have posted continuously about failed expectations from analysts about not meeting the 1 millions sold point in the initial weekend. When I replied back with some common sense that its not even possible, you again try to distance yourself from your comments. You even go so far to try to further your assumption with first hand reports and a conversation with a salesman at your local apple store (probably a teenager making just above minimum wage). Very sad.

I'm not upset; just discussing. Seems like you are projecting you own emotions in this.

"Overboard?" Everyone was suprised the AT&T numbers. Not sure how commenting that 147K is not 700K is "overboard". Again, your grip on reality is tenuous at best.

You are making stuff up; I'm not lashing out (again, your emotional projection), just correcting you misstatements. You are claiming I said things that I never said. If I am wrong, then post the proof (actually, others would have done it for you.)

You are a surfer, plain and simple.

Again, the 1M in a weekend is a figment you invented. Re-read the posts; I was not asserting that as my opinion, but what had been bounced around. (again, your comprehension skills are lacking).

So I make a comment about visiting an Apple Store, and you trash the employees? The ones I know are pleasant and helpful. What do wages have to do with it (other than showing you look down on people making less money than you (which I suspect is comprised of an allowance from mommy and daddy). Oh, and your elitist tendancies.

You are awful sensitive on "fanboy"; sounds like I was right, there are Mac/Apple fanboys, and there iPhone fanboys (which I will now refer to iPhoniancs, as they seem a bit crazy).

No one has to agree with my opinions; again, some projection going on there.

You are wound up way, way too tight. Go rub one out to your favorite fantasy and you'll feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox