10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Well I will post about it:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aCEvYp0icVtQ&refer=home

146K activations...sold maybe 200K in first weekend.

A wee shy of 500K-1M, eh?

I told ya those numbers were suspect.
Dang, I wanted to post about those retarded numbers. :p

Surur said something about Apple releasing numbers on Wed? So we might get a better idea of what they actually were.

Not sure what to make of it: that's still a lot of phones in 2 days. OTOH, if you go by all the analyst predictions and the expectations, it seems far below the half million projected.

It will be interesting to see a graph based on the number of sales over a few days, in other words to see if that was the peak (those 2 days) or maybe it held consistent. Or rather, maybe they've hit 500 thousand one week later...

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Dang, I wanted to post about those retarded numbers. :p

Surur said something about Apple releasing numbers on Wed? So we might get a better idea of what they actually were.

Not sure what to make of it: that's still a lot of phones in 2 days. OTOH, if you go by all the analyst predictions and the expectations, it seems far below the half million projected.

It will be interesting to see a graph based on the number of sales over a few days, in other words to see if that was the peak (those 2 days) or maybe it held consistent. Or rather, maybe they've hit 500 thousand one week later...

Still, that is way below the hype.

No doubt it's a lot of phones...and I am sure online orders were big too.

I think we need to see July's numbers to get a better feel.

Still, it's a black eye (relative to the hype), and the Street is responding.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
I know they were under expectation, but that is a lot of cell phones to sell (actually be activated) in about 48 hours. I wonder if any other phone has sold that much in its first two days. We will know a lot more tomorrow after Apple posts their earnings. I would be surprised if the hadn't sold over 350,000 yet.

I bought my iPhone on-line on June 30th. Didn't get it for a few days after, so mine didn't count in that number.

MarkY

Oct 27, 2004
Visit site
Where's the name calling? Spirited opinion? Yes. Calling poeple on the truth? Yes.

Humor (some argue in bad taste)? Yes.

But no one is saying "You're a ___________________"
On this page alone, see posts 1528 and 1534. While no profanity is being used, it just seems like a lot of this is getting personal and straying OT. Of course I don't have to read any of it and suppose I won't after this. Carry on ;)

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
On this page alone, see posts 1528 and 1534. While no profanity is being used, it just seems like a lot of this is getting personal and straying OT. Of course I don't have to read any of it and suppose I won't after this. Carry on ;)

I think you are missing the context; braj made a joke (whether or not people want to take it that way), and 1534 was downstream follow-on from that.

1528 was just observational to the behaviors.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I can't believe nobody even posted about the just announced low sales numbers for the first weekend.

I would not want to gloat and look stupid in 2 days time when Apple releases the full week numbers. We shall see. If full weekend numbers are less than 300 000, or the full week numbers are less than 500 000 I will call it a failure, not because the numbers are not actually great (because they are) but because of the difference between the numbers and the much hyped expectations.

Surur

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
I would not want to gloat and look stupid in 2 days time when Apple releases the full week numbers. We shall see. If full weekend numbers are less than 300 000, or the full week numbers are less than 500 000 I will call it a failure, not because the numbers are not actually great (because they are) but because of the difference between the numbers and the much hyped expectations.

Surur

I see what your saying, but if Apple sells 400,000 units in a weeks time, you consider it a failure? I don't believe apple ever mentioned how many units they would sell in the first week.

I do agree though that people should be careful here about over reacting to 2 days of activations.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Where's the name calling? Spirited opinion? Yes. Calling poeple on the truth? Yes.

Humor (some argue in bad taste)? Yes.

But no one is saying "You're a ___________________"

i guess it's all up to interpretation and context

I'm convinced at least some iPhone users are retards :D Just because you are happy with it doesn't make you one though.

i suppose MarkY is pointing to basically the same......i'd say give it a rest to those who continue to use this connotation.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I see what your saying, but if Apple sells 400,000 units in a weeks time, you consider it a failure?

400 000 is much less than the expected 1 000 000

To give an interesting alternate perspective, the Samsung Blackjack sold 500 000 in 3 months, and was considered a roaring success because of this.

Surur

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
400 000 is much less than the expected 1 000 000

To give an interesting alternate perspective, the Samsung Blackjack sold 500 000 in 3 months, and was considered a roaring success because of this.

Surur

It's all about managing expectations. Apple could have set the bar low but they probably wanted the biggest splash possible. Had they said they were aiming @ 100,000 and hit 300,000 it would have looked like an enormous success. @ 300,000 from a market penetration perspective it is huge, no doubts about it, but they made their bed and Wall Street will be saying they failed to meet expectations.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
It's all about managing expectations. Apple could have set the bar low but they probably wanted the biggest splash possible. Had they said they were aiming @ 100,000 and hit 300,000 it would have looked like an enormous success. @ 300,000 from a market penetration perspective it is huge, no doubts about it, but they made their bed and Wall Street will be saying they failed to meet expectations.

What was the bar that apple set for first week sales? Havn't seen that reported anywhere.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I see what your saying, but if Apple sells 400,000 units in a weeks time, you consider it a failure?
I think what Surur said is accurate: 400,000 is certainly still very high and if they didn't break any records that'd be extraordinarily surprising.

But it's all context

(a) In terms of market predictions/expectations: meet, exceed or fall below?
(b) Trend: did they peak that weekend and the sales dwindled? Did they peak that weekend but sales held consistent at a relatively high level? Did they not peak till mid week? Fill in X scenario here, etc. etc.

Obviously (a) is just snapshot but (b) will be more interesting as we'll may begin to see some long-term predictions.

Personally, I think sales will be strong but below expectations. I also think with the rapid advancement of the industry as a whole, it'll be difficult for Apple to remain "fresh" in the market as more and more devices (with new features, cheaper, more stylish) flood the market in the coming months.

Apple can counter that by (1) releasing a lower-level device in 6 months (2) a 3g device next year (3) "Big" software updates that significantly improve the device with new functions along with correlating promotion of the new "revision".

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
The overinflated numbers reported by the press from the first two days is the same sort of group-think that makes you want to go invade a country for no good reason! ;) A slam-dunk, if you will. :(

Still, it's possible over 500,000 phones were sold in the first two days, but AT&T's abysmal sign up process prevented the new owners from actually getting online. You might say the AT&T weak link retarded the whole process. :p

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Still, it's possible over 500,000 phones were sold in the first two days, but AT&T's abysmal sign up process prevented the new owners from actually getting online. You might say the AT&T weak link retarded the whole process. :p

AT&T claimed only 2% of buyers had activation problems.

Surur

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
What was the bar that apple set for first week sales? Havn't seen that reported anywhere.

You're right, that was analysts, Jobs predicted 10 million in the first 18 months. I misspoke. Still, I do believe Apple generated the hype that generated the estimates.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
146,000 "activations" for less than two days of sales. i'm sure we'll see a different number come this wednesday (3q07 earnings). i'm not saying good nor bad, just saying that the number that will hopefully be reported on wednesday to be materially different.

having said that, lets see if this helps push them to release fixes/updates and perhaps even a 3G device sooner than later.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
The overinflated numbers reported by the press from the first two days is the same sort of group-think that makes you want to go invade a country for no good reason! ;) A slam-dunk, if you will. :(

All just conjecture at this point. AT&T's numbers reflect on what happened, but don't tell the story. (Personally, the few people I know with iphones, including my 2, were activated after AT&T's quarter ended).

Personally, I'm hoping Apple announces 500,000 or more sales in the first week, for no other reason than the enjoyment of watching all the analysts who initially predicted huge sales, and now have dropped their predictions to absurdly low levels, having to scramble again to explain themselves. (I'm looking at you, Piper Jaffrey. Remember what you did in 1998? Yeah, I didn't think so.)

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
AT&T claimed only 2% of buyers had activation problems.

Surur

I'm sure ma bell ain't undercounting one iota.

(BTW: by the same line of logic where a bunch of complaints about crashes on line means all iphones crash, I say a bunch of people complaining about activation problems means no one could activate :)

Status
Not open for further replies.