10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Would be an interesting experiment. "touch the letter" takes the same amount of time, in theory, as typing the first letter.

After that, the drag/flick would take somewhere around the effort of typing another letter or two.

I'd prefer a typing interface, but not sure the letter-bar is that much worse for most people. (once you get around 100 contacts per a letter, the iphone method gets ugly.)

I've used both. I actually got to use an iPhone for a full day recently.

In theory and practice, the type-to-contact is MUCH faster.

Now, in terms of what is better for most people, that's easy - whatever Apple says is easier. :)

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
well, i still think all they need to do is use the same interface for dialing that they already use for sms, email, and even web autofill.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
mobileman,

Steve Job's couldn't think of another exposed keyboard device other than the Treo...he could think of 3...(BB, Q, and Nokia).

Can't believe you said that...but then again, the rolodex was lost on you.

Flick and spins work great...until you have thousands of contacts (which is not that rare in today's world.

I guess the fact that I was referring to Windows Mobile devices (non smartphone edition) was lost on you. If I wanted to use a device without a touchscreen, it would be a blackberry.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
I've used both. I actually got to use an iPhone for a full day recently.

In theory and practice, the type-to-contact is MUCH faster.

Now, in terms of what is better for most people, that's easy - whatever Apple says is easier. :)

If your device has an exposed keyboard, searching contacts would be much faster. Any other device (with keyboard or not), I cant really see how its any faster.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
If your device has an exposed keyboard, searching contacts would be much faster. Any other device (with keyboard or not), I cant really see how its any faster.

Surely an 'exposed' soft keyboard would be similarly faster, and would allow searching through all the contact fields, not just the name.

Imagine this hypothetical time (feel free to modify if the times appear wrong)

Open app
keyboard already on screen.
tap the first 4 letters of the name - 4 seconds.
tap on the contact to dial.1

Total 5 seconds

vs.

Open

Press the letter you want. 1

scroll through the list, which could be one screen or 3-4 screens. 0-20 seconds
tap on the contact to dial. 1

Total 2 to 22 seconds

The first seems more predictable, and will on average probably be faster.

Surur

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Surely an 'exposed' soft keyboard would be similarly faster, and would allow searching through all the contact fields, not just the name.

Imagine this hypothetical time (feel free to modify if the times appear wrong)

Open app
keyboard already on screen.
tap the first 4 letters of the name - 4 seconds.
tap on the contact to dial.1

Total 5 seconds

vs.

Open

Press the letter you want. 1

scroll through the list, which could be one screen or 3-4 screens. 0-20 seconds
tap on the contact to dial. 1

Total 2 to 22 seconds

The first seems more predictable, and will on average probably be faster.

Surur

i wouldn't even mind if they did it the "iphone way" and put a searchbox at the top of the screen, and didn't pop up the keyboard until you tapped inside the box.

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
This is pretty hilarious. Not true, but funny anyways.

Cupertino, CA – If you want to see the iPhone at an Apple store, be sure to bring some cash. Large crowds flocking to see the iPhone and next generation iPods have forced Apple to begin charging a $5 entrance fee for Apple stores. Many analysts anticipated the move, and expect a positive response from customers.

"Part of the move was to limit crowds to keep the stores safe, but also we wanted to keep the right kind of people in the stores," said vice president of retail outlets, Vince Sciopiano. "By 'right kind of people' I mean true Apple customers with money, willing to pay just to look at our newest wares."

While Apple Geniuses patrol inside the store, Apple "Muscleheads" will guard the window displays and entrances.

For the $5 fee, customers will get an Apple button which will allow them entrance into the store and is used to track the customer's movements. Sciopiano noted that the $5 fee could be applied to purchases on that visit

Customer reaction at a pilot project at the Apple Store in Canoga Park, California was positive. Alexander Hu, an avid Mac user, said, "I don't mind paying $5 to get into the store, if it keeps out the iPhone gawkers and Windows lusers who want to drool over the new Macs."

Not everyone was pleased though. Kyle Martin said, "Five dollars to just walk into the store? It's like they want to be elite snobs or something."

When told of the criticism, Sciopiano said, "That's exactly the case."
From http://www.bbspot.com/News/2007/07/apple-store-to-being-charging-entrance-fee.html

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
There's the JAQ3 and upcoming JAQ4 as well.

Are these commercially available in the U.S. through normal supply chains. I order all handheld devices for my company. We give our employees the option of tmobile, verizon, or AT&T. Ordering the JAQ3 through an internet supplier is not an option in corporate America.

Surur, the HP device that you posted is no longer being offered (at least that I can find, or my AT&T rep can find) through business channels. Anyway, I hated that device. It had a nice big screen screen, but the resolution was still 240x240. Another thing that I found interesting talking to my AT&T guy is how bad he says the treo 750 is selling compared to the 8525.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Are these commercially available in the U.S. through normal supply chains. I order all handheld devices for my company. We give our employees the option of tmobile, verizon, or AT&T. Ordering the JAQ3 through an internet supplier is not an option in corporate America.

Surur, the HP device that you posted is no longer being offered (at least that I can find, or my AT&T rep can find) through business channels. Anyway, I hated that device. It had a nice big screen screen, but the resolution was still 240x240. Another thing that I found interesting talking to my AT&T guy is how bad he says the treo 750 is selling compared to the 8525.

In your version of corporate American, it may not be possible. But for many companies, if it's sold, you can buy it.

MobilePlanet still offers it.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
In your version of corporate American, it may not be possible. But for many companies, if it's sold, you can buy it.

MobilePlanet still offers it.

I would bet less than 1% of Windows Mobile Users in this country use this device. Thats because most people are not going to go to a place like MobilePlanet and buy an expensive device that comes with no support (besides maybe sending it over seas for repair).

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site

Its still on the site at the link I gave. Did you dial 1 866 429-7222 to check? Not that I am trying to sell it to you, its certainly an older device now. I would not mind an update with similar updated features and better design however. This device from ASUS for example.

asus_axxx_rumor.jpg

http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=4010

with QVGA screen HSDPA, SIRF III GPS and 3.2 megapixel camera would be quite nice.

However, an Iphone I am sure is a better iPod/Web surfing device. I would actually argue that this device is a better business phone however, due to hard dial pad, WM6 exchange integration and security features, and GPS, which could orientate a lost business man.

Surur

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Its still on the site at the link I gave. Did you dial 1 866 429-7222 to check? Not that I am trying to sell it to you, its certainly an older device now. I would not mind an update with similar updated features and better design however. This device from ASUS for example.

asus_axxx_rumor.jpg

http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=4010

with QVGA screen HSDPA, SIRF III GPS and 3.2 megapixel camera would be quite nice.

However, an Iphone I am sure is a better iPod/Web surfing device. I would actually argue that this device is a better business phone however, due to hard dial pad, WM6 exchange integration and security features, and GPS, which could orientate a lost business man.

Surur

You wouldnt have to argue it, you would be right. Windows Mobile devices are better business devices than the iPhone. I just really really wish that WM wasnt stuck on QVGA devices for so long, and a UI refreash is long overdue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods