10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I cant imagine though how on a windows mobile device (except the treo) it would be much easier. You have to slide out the keyboard and rotate the device before you can start typing.

The Treo is not the only device with an exposed keyboard, and the device has auto-complete from contacts in many fields, e.g. the To: fields in the e-mail address.

Surur

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Blackjacks, and the Q is a Windows Smartphone device. No offense to any smartphone users here but YUCK. The blackberry you can start typing on the exposed keyboard to bring up the contact.

Most Windows Mobile devices (not smartphone edition) do not have exposed keyboards. I would argue that its not really easier to find a contact on one of these.

But then what's the point in bringing that up then? It's like saying my kid isn't ugly because your kid is uglier.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
The Treo is not the only device with an exposed keyboard, and the device has auto-complete from contacts in many fields, e.g. the To: fields in the e-mail address.

Surur

FWIW, iphone does autocomplete in To: fields of emails and SMS messages. But not when dialing. (That sort of inconsistency drives me nuts). If dialing worked like sending an sms (top line is a text box, bottom third is switchable from numeric to alphabetic keypad, and, as you type, matches appear in-between them) it would be pretty sweet. (Note, too, that it searches by first or last name in sms or email auto-fill, but not in dialing when you use the alphabetic bar on the right side).

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Wait a second....why if anybody here has an opinion that doesnt agree with a negative iPhone comment get labled as an "Apologist".

Hey, you wait a second! I take back my apology! How was my comment in any way a negative iPhone comment? I'm factually discussion the features and you are throwing out apologistic fanboy nonsense, where any statement that doesn't glorify the iPhone is called 'negative' :D

(I hope you understand my sense of humor, I'm not really bashing you. Though you are wrong :p )

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
FWIW, iphone does autocomplete in To: fields of emails and SMS messages. But not when dialing. (That sort of inconsistency drives me nuts). If dialing worked like sending an sms (top line is a text box, bottom third is switchable from numeric to alphabetic keypad, and, as you type, matches appear in-between them) it would be pretty sweet. (Note, too, that it searches by first or last name in sms or email auto-fill, but not in dialing when you use the alphabetic bar on the right side).

I'm sure all those little things will be patched in time. I'm more concerned about the things that appear to go against Apple's paradigms, by making the device more complicated, like third party apps.

Surur

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site

Surur

not that it matters, but I can't think of another commercially avaible device in the U.S. With an exposed keyboard.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I'm sure all those little things will be patched in time. I'm more concerned about the things that appear to go against Apple's paradigms, by making the device more complicated, like third party apps.

Surur

I'm willing to bet there will be third party apps, but, sadly, that they will follow the ipod model and only allow a small handful of developers to produce the software and only allow it to be available on itunes.

If they add flash, allow adding icons to the "home screen" that link to urls, and add something like google gears, I'll be happy enough. If they add more links to internal databases from web applications, even better.

I've been coding iphone webapps for a couple of weeks, and a lot is possible, but if they would just make a few changes some really nice stuff could be done. If an application can be run without network connectivity and could store its data locally and interact with other iphone apps (and if we could hide the damned toolbar) the end user wouldn't know the difference between a native os-x app and a web app. I do think they will make some of these changes as well.

I'd still prefer a real sdk ala palm or wm.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
not that it matters, but I can't think of another commercially avaible device in the U.S. With an exposed keyboard.

HP Ipaq 6925
hp-6900.jpg

http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/phones-devices/all-phones/?_requestid=47720

Surur

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Even as a demonstration-release, MS's Deepfish is not too far off from what Safari can do.

Demo

I've been using it for months now and even though it's just a "technology preview" (not even an alpha or beta for release) it works quite well. There is a security issue with server-side handling, so that is one thing that will need to be considered.

Never heard of this....will have to get up to date!

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
How is that Nokia browser? I had heard it was very comparable to Safari. Apple got praises for a 'first' but was it really?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I'm willing to bet there will be third party apps, but, sadly, that they will follow the ipod model and only allow a small handful of developers to produce the software and only allow it to be available on itunes.

If they add flash, allow adding icons to the "home screen" that link to urls, and add something like google gears, I'll be happy enough. If they add more links to internal databases from web applications, even better.

I've been coding iphone webapps for a couple of weeks, and a lot is possible, but if they would just make a few changes some really nice stuff could be done. If an application can be run without network connectivity and could store its data locally and interact with other iphone apps (and if we could hide the damned toolbar) the end user wouldn't know the difference between a native os-x app and a web app. I do think they will make some of these changes as well.

I'd still prefer a real sdk ala palm or wm.

From scanning the forums there appears a way to encode a whole web page/app in a single URL, which can be stored in a single bookmark. Clunky, with workable.

Surur

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
From scanning the forums there appears a way to encode a whole web page/app in a single URL, which can be stored in a single bookmark. Clunky, with workable.

Surur

Still not clear how one could store data client-side that way unless one could add bookmarks from javascript. It does, however, allow storing an entire javascript application, including embedded images, in a single bookmark, which is a step in the right direction.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Bad memories surur Bad memories lol

:) Ive got one actually. Pretty reliable device,, bad battery with GPS, but good without, good one-handed support, widcomm bluetooth stack, large 3 inch screen, flip-cover (so rare these days).

Bit chunky, but I like it :) So far no device has all the same features on the market yet.

Surur

Postal

May 5, 2006
Visit site
That's great and all, except that:
...3) Your post is off-topic for this thread and trolling.

Trolling? Offtopic? Listen, CountBuggula, this entire thread is stupid. In another year Palm will have gone the way of the eight-track. Find something new to biotch about and get a life.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
what i find amusing; the last couple of pages are full of discussion centered around the working aspects of safari's successes, flick gestures working well enough, and the iPhone's autocomplete capability.

pleasantly surprised that we're not seeing pages and pages of copied material combatting some of either Mobileman's or CMaier's somewhat positive commentary. apparently these are now considered "on topic" and allowable as opposed to the converse.

good to see

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
what i find amusing; the last couple of pages are full of discussion centered around the working aspects of safari's successes, flick gestures working well enough, and the iPhone's autocomplete capability.

pleasantly surprised that we're not seeing pages and pages of copied material combatting some of either Mobileman's or CMaier's somewhat positive commentary. apparently these are now considered "on topic" and allowable as opposed to the converse.

good to see
You apparently missed our praise of their level-headiness and the fact they actually bring something to the table to discuss/debate as opposed to your trolling or Postal's obvious non-addition to this thread.

Slingbox

Oct 27, 2006
Visit site
Trolling? Offtopic? Listen, CountBuggula, this entire thread is stupid. In another year Palm will have gone the way of the eight-track. Find something new to biotch about and get a life.
I think you need to flush your post in your avatar and get on topic.If you have dislike for this thread don't post.
Anyway....good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR