10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Thanks

Thank you for your kind words. I spent a decade designing microprocessors for companies like Sun and AMD, so it's in my nature to break things down logically and analyze them from a neutral perspective.

If Apple doesn't do a firmware update by the end of august that addresses some of the glaring deficiencies, I may join you guys :) (but probably not. i knew what i was paying for when i forked over my cash, so i don't feel like apple owes me too much beyond bug fixes.)

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Clearly posted by somebody that has never used the iPhone (but won't miss an opportunity to complain about it). You do not need to scroll through every name using the rolodex method. On the right side of the screen, the letters of the alphabet are displayed vertically. You can tap on the corresponding letter to go right to that area in your contact list. If you want to call somebody whose last name starts with "Z", you do not need to scroll through the entire database.

Clearly, this is written by someone who has never used a rolodex. You see there are these little tab as the top for each letter...

Yes, I have used and iPhone, and know how it works.

Before you make false assertions, you should not assume you know what a person has or has not done, and you should understand the analogy before you critique it.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
With all due respect Malatesta, Deepfish has nothing on Mobile Safari. I installed it on a few of my work devices, and while it might be the best WM browser available, it still has a ways to go before it can compete. I'm also wondering how much effort Microsoft will put into developing it further.
It's basic functions are similar i.e. view the whole web site "as is" with controlled zoom.

Now, in current form, it doesn't compare in richness of Safari, but as I stressed: this is a "technology preview" pre-alpha and pre-beta, so a direct comparison of a fully released browser vs. basically a "usable demo" is a bit inaccurate, imo.

I think MS will develop this a lot. It'll be the standard browser for Photon (I'm betting). They wouldn't even have thrown it out there so early if they weren't looking to build off of it and with 3g getting wider and more standard, it actually makes sense as the next evolution of mobile browsing.

and Pattycerts, you're level-headed too, don't feel left out, lol :thumbsup:

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Being able to narrow down a large contact DB based on categories or companies is very 1986. Why Apple didn't do so is very strange actually, as well as the same in the Calendar app. They do seem very half-baked even for a personal device.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
It's basic functions are similar i.e. view the whole web site "as is" with controlled zoom.

Now, in current form, it doesn't compare in richness of Safari, but as I stressed: this is a "technology preview" pre-alpha and pre-beta, so a direct comparison of a fully released browser vs. basically a "usable demo" is a bit inaccurate, imo.

I think MS will develop this a lot. It'll be the standard browser for Photon (I'm betting). They wouldn't even have thrown it out there so early if they weren't looking to build off of it and with 3g getting wider and more standard, it actually makes sense as the next evolution of mobile browsing.

Well, you did say "MS's Deepfish is not too far off from what Safari can do". I definately disagree with you here. The internet browsing experience of Deepfish, still is not what I would call pleasant. I hope MS does develop it further, and with a completely different development team that did Windows Live for WM.

I also think for Microsoft to compete with safari, they need to talk to the hardware suppliers about bumping up screen resolution. Even the mighty Kaiser coming soon is still 320x240. Its tough to compete with Safari like that.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Before you make false assertions, you should not assume you know what a person has or has not done, and you should understand the analogy before you critique it.

Please explain this part of your quote then
I think I would go batty scrolling through hundreds or thousands of contacts manually

Why would I ever need to do this on an iPhone?

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site

It would be easy to have hundreds of contacts starting with really common letters. So hitting 'S' you could still have a gang of thumbing through your phonebook before you get to what you are looking for.

It seems to me that someone at Apple thought the flicking thing was so cool that they would make it mandatory, as opposed to using tried and true methods, they want you to flick as much as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if they begrudgingly put in the letter sorting just because they had to :D

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
It would be easy to have hundreds of contacts starting with really common letters. So hitting 'S' you could still have a gang of thumbing through your phonebook before you get to what you are looking for.

It seems to me that someone at Apple thought the flicking thing was so cool that they would make it mandatory, as opposed to using tried and true methods, they want you to flick as much as possible.

So your trying to tell me you have thousands of people in your contacts list whose name is starting with the same letter? Your right then, you should return the iPhone immediately (if you do own it).

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site

To be fair, those letters on the side are very tiny, and when i click one i frequently miss. So I end up scrolling a couple of letters in either direction. Luckily I only have a few hundred contacts total, but if I had thousands, that could still be a lot of contacts. Luckily the "flick gesture" works well enough that you'd have to have a lot of contacts before it became too horrendous. It would be pretty sweet to be able to launch the keyboard and type a few letters of the name. It would also be nice to be able to type a few digits of a phone number in the phone application and have it find who you meant. It would also be nice if people's photos showed up next to their speed dial entries. Many things would be nice. But I digress.

Search would also be pretty sweet. Search is coming, however (I claim).

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
So your trying to tell me you have thousands of people in your contacts list whose name is starting with the same letter? Your right then, you should return the iPhone immediately (if you do own it).

I'm saying that some letters have more contacts than others. Some people have huge contact lists. I personally don't, but still I like to sort by categories, I have business contacts, personal contacts, recreational contacts, family contacts etc. Some options for the user would be nice. Apologist arguing like yours is against the consumer's interest, why is it a good thing to have no way to sort beyond letter? You think less is more in every instance? Why are you defending this?

One question (and this would make Apple's implementation easier to live with): does the iPhone find a contact when you select 'M' for example based on first, last, and company? If so this is a little better. Sometimes I may forget the contact's name I need to call but remember their company. Does it do this? It would be better of course to be able to see all the contacts that belong to a certain group/organization though, so you can email easier, or place a conference call.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
To be fair, those letters on the side are very tiny, and when i click one i frequently miss. So I end up scrolling a couple of letters in either direction. Luckily I only have a few hundred contacts total, but if I had thousands, that could still be a lot of contacts. Luckily the "flick gesture" works well enough that you'd have to have a lot of contacts before it became too horrendous. It would be pretty sweet to be able to launch the keyboard and type a few letters of the name. It would also be nice to be able to type a few digits of a phone number in the phone application and have it find who you meant. It would also be nice if people's photos showed up next to their speed dial entries. Many things would be nice. But I digress.

Search would also be pretty sweet. Search is coming, however (I claim).

Agreed, letters are small, but I have gotten pretty accurate with them. Not having the keyboard pop up in contact search mode is kind of strange, but I guess I dont have enough contacts where it bothers me to much. As of today I have 574 contacts.

I cant imagine though how on a windows mobile device (except the treo) it would be much easier. You have to slide out the keyboard and rotate the device before you can start typing.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Apologist arguing like yours is against the consumer's interest, why is it a good thing to have no way to sort beyond letter? You think less is more in every instance? Why are you defending this?

Wait a second....why if anybody here has an opinion that doesnt agree with a negative iPhone comment get labled as an "Apologist". Could it possibly be that the something that you find as a problem with the iPhone, other people might not?

FOR MY NEEDS, the sorting is just fine. If I had alot more contacts, I can see where a popup keyboard would help. I don't though, so it's no big deal to me. Don't ever assume that everybody is going to agree with your opinion.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I cant imagine though howon a windows mobile device (except the treo) it would be much easier. You have to slide out the keyboard and rotate the device before you can start typing.

Don't a lot of WM devices have hard keyboards? Blackjacks, Qs, etc? How does this work on a Blackberry, or a Nokia? In fact, it seems hard to find a phonebook on most phones that is as cumbersome as the iPhone's method.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Don't a lot of WM devices have hard keyboards? Blackjacks, Qs, etc? How does this work on a Blackberry, or a Nokia? In fact, it seems hard to find a phonebook on most phones that is as cumbersome as the iPhone's method.

Blackjacks, and the Q is a Windows Smartphone device. No offense to any smartphone users here but YUCK. The blackberry you can start typing on the exposed keyboard to bring up the contact.

Most Windows Mobile devices (not smartphone edition) do not have exposed keyboards. I would argue that its not really easier to find a contact on one of these.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I'm saying that some letters have more contacts than others. Some people have huge contact lists. I personally don't, but still I like to sort by categories, I have business contacts, personal contacts, recreational contacts, family contacts etc. Some options for the user would be nice. Apologist arguing like yours is against the consumer's interest, why is it a good thing to have no way to sort beyond letter? You think less is more in every instance? Why are you defending this?

One question (and this would make Apple's implementation easier to live with): does the iPhone find a contact when you select 'M' for example based on first, last, and company? If so this is a little better. Sometimes I may forget the contact's name I need to call but remember their company. Does it do this? It would be better of course to be able to see all the contacts that belong to a certain group/organization though, so you can email easier, or place a conference call.

It seems to only go by the last name or the "file as" or something. For instance, if I click on "C" i get "Camera 7 Theater" and "Joe C-----" but not "Charles -----."

One nice touch I just noticed - if you press and HOLD the letters on the side, the whole bar highlights, and you can drag your fingers up and down to zip from letter to letter super-quickly. You can go from first entry to last entry with one finger motion. Even better, it has a quantum effect built in, so if you move slowly, it sort of "snaps" from letter to letter, so you don't have to worry about moving too far and skipping past the letter you intended.

But it sucks that if i remember someone's first name and not last, I can't easily get to it without search. (If I only remember their company, chances are I have company in the "file as" field, anyway).

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Wait a second....why if anybody here has an opinion that doesnt agree with a negative iPhone comment get labled as an "Apologist". Could it possibly be that the something that you find as a problem with the iPhone, other people might not?

FOR MY NEEDS, the sorting is just fine. If I had alot more contacts, I can see where a popup keyboard would help. I don't though, so it's no big deal to me. Don't ever assume that everybody is going to agree with your opinion.

OK, for your needs it works fine. Sorry if I offended you, but by making those statements you seem to be saying a more robust way of finding contacts wasn't necessary. "So your trying to tell me..." That sort of language makes it sound that if people aren't doing it your way they must be insane. "you should return the iPhone immediately (if you do own it)." Come on now. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.