10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Here's an interesting post, not for the topic, that has been covered before, but for the convoluted reasoning of the final poster trying to shift the blame for the deficiency from Apple to AT&T.

When will I be able to listen to music via bluetooth?
TheScavenger 07-19-2007 07:55 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When will I be able to listen to music via bluetooth?

Do you think Apple will release a firmware update that will allow me to listen to music on my iPhone via bluetooth?

Josh

Sobe 07-19-2007 07:56 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't see it happening any time soon, but I don't have any real information one way or the other.

mpw 07-19-2007 07:59 PM

I wonder whether it'll feature on iPods first, just to give them a sales advantage, then appear on the iPhone once Apple think they've fleeced the consumer as much as they can.

TheScavenger 07-19-2007 10:01 PM

I already have the Plantronics 590A bluetooth headphones. They come with a bluetooth adapter. It is just annoying to have to use the adapter with the iPhone which has bluetooth of course.

Josh

Anthony8720 07-20-2007 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheScavenger (Post 3939884)
Do you think Apple will release a firmware update that will allow me to listen to music on my iPhone via bluetooth?

Josh

I think this is the deal on this one. AT&T is the absolute worst when it comes to content. They have no music downloading service (which is prob why apple chose them among other things), so they don't carry stereo bluetooth headsets. I bet they worked out a deal with apple to have them not support the profile. For as long as apple is with AT&T, i think the iphones bluetooth will be crippled. Which is really weird, since AT&T is known for full featured bluetooth phones, while verizon is known for crippled phones. Now, all new verizon phones support obex and stereo bluetooth and DUN and you name it...strange turn of events. What kills me, is that all the iPhone would have needed is a few basic functionalies. Such as GPS, fine no 3G yet (I agree, i want battery life), and full featured bluetooth, mms, a camera with actual functions such as zoom and VIDEO!. I'm sure there are many more, but at least by adding those things, next to no one could complain about it. The worst part is that they all seem like trivial obvious additions. I would love to read through the reasoning for leaving all this out.
(some posts removed for brevity's sake)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=331832

Surur

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
I don't see any logical reason for crippling a stereo bluetooth profile. Other PDAs support.
I think the reason for no additional BT support has more to do with limitations on multi tasking (just guessing). Either that or it was a complicated feature that they could not fit in the release schedule (therefore future update.) And knowing Apple they figured 99% of their target customers would not use this feature and wouldn't miss it in the initial release... taking the "keep it simple" approach.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I don't see any logical reason for crippling a stereo bluetooth profile. Other PDAs support.
I think the reason for no additional BT support has more to do with limitations on multi tasking (just guessing). Either that or it was a complicated feature that they could not fit in the release schedule (therefore future update.) And knowing Apple they figured 99% of their target customers would not use this feature and wouldn't miss it in the initial release... taking the "keep it simple" approach.
It could also just be QC on their part. I don't think Jobs is satisfied with the quality of A2DP on devices so is not offering it as a feature. That and they probably want their own headset to sell along with it, which is not ready as of yet.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site

Probably right, but I never used that feature on my blackberry or windows mobile device anyway. That might be because those devices didn't support music over bluetooth, or that listening to music on either of those devices was such a chore anyway, I never did it. Again, it would be nice to have, but I certainly do not miss not having it.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Either that or it was a complicated feature that they could not fit in the release schedule (therefore future update.) And knowing Apple they figured 99% of their target customers would not use this feature and wouldn't miss it in the initial release... taking the "keep it simple" approach.

I'm sure its this part. There are many obvious features such as MMS and Video recording which were omitted for no obvious reason, but can be explained by a rushed launch.

Surur

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
I'm sure its this part. There are many obvious features such as MMS and Video recording which were omitted for no obvious reason, but can be explained by a rushed launch.

Surur

So if I never used either of those features, am I allowed to like the iPhone?

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
lol, of course you are.

No one here, or at least myself, don't begrudge people for actually liking what they invested in. It's perfectly fine. I'm also not interested in trying to convert people to another device.

All this thread is about is schadenfreude: taking the iPhone down a notch or two. We could do that with any device, but honestly, does the 700wx or Moto Q garner that much attention for negatives when there is no hype around them as is?

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
lol, of course you are.

No one here, or at least myself, don't begrudge people for actually liking what they invested in. It's perfectly fine. I'm also not interested in trying to convert people to another device.

All this thread is about is schadenfreude: taking the iPhone down a notch or two. We could do that with any device, but honestly, does the 700wx or Moto Q garner that much attention for negatives when there is no hype around them as is?

schadenfreude?

I agree that the iPhone has received an immense amount of publicity and interest. I wonder if that has more to do with the loyal apple fan base than anything else. Say what you want but the beautiful multi touch screen has never really been done before. For some, thats not enough to buy one. The iPhone has clearly become this years cool product. I think that bothers alot of people.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site

You have my blessing.

jesus-didnt-die.jpg

Surur

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
schadenfreude?

I agree that the iPhone has received an immense amount of publicity and interest. I wonder if that has more to do with the loyal apple fan base than anything else. Say what you want but the beautiful multi touch screen has never really been done before. For some, thats not enough to buy one. The iPhone has clearly become this years cool product. I think that bothers alot of people.
Actually, I have no firm hatred of the iPhone, just regrets, which I've mentioned before:

-no 3g
-not open to 3rd party apps
-not on Sprint

If it did all of those I would have bought one and tried it out, I'm certainly not "above" using one. But simply put, for what I like to do on my devices and my network, I can't use the iPhone. So, for me those are things that bug me. But I have no issue with the 75% of people who were already on AT&T picking up a new phone.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Games? More frustrated iPhone users.

Why no iphone games? :p

princealfie 07-18-2007 02:03 PM

Why no iphone games? :p

Just wondering why the ipod games won't work with the iphone? I thought that the iphone has a better graphics chip?

nbs2 07-18-2007 02:17 PM

Because there is no click wheel.

Me1000 07-18-2007 02:22 PM

Graphics processing has nothing to do with it,
it would be like trying to run a game for Windows on a Mac Pro,
2 entirely different platforms

ChandlerXJ 07-18-2007 02:43 PM

don't worry, games are coming.

ricgnzlzcr 07-18-2007 03:01 PM

I really need the games to start coming in. I was in the hospital for a long time last night with no signal whatsoever. I really needed some quick entertainment.

ghall 07-18-2007 03:19 PM

I actually see no reason why the iPhone can't have a simulated clickwheel for iPod games. It could work, if implemented correctly.

Me1000 07-18-2007 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghall (Post 3934711)
I actually see no reason why the iPhone can't have a simulated clickwheel for iPod games. It could work, if implemented correctly.

sure it could, but it would be like trying to run an xbox game on windows,
2 entirely different platforms,

so either updates are required for the game, or the iPhone needs an emulator...

zap2 07-18-2007 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Me1000 (Post 3934501)
Graphics processing has nothing to do with it,
it would be like trying to run a game for Windows on a Mac Pro,
2 entirely different platforms

bad example...a Mac Pro can run Windows games easy....although iPhone could run iPod games if apple put out some support(like with boot camp)..so maybe it was a good example

Sobe 07-18-2007 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zap2 (Post 3934898)
bad example...a Mac Pro can run Windows games easy....although iPhone could run iPod games if apple put out some support(like with boot camp)..so maybe it was a good example

yeah they sold you a phone that can hold several gigs of movies, music, and audio books.

I'm sure soduku and tetris are at the top of their list...

kdarling 07-18-2007 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghall (Post 3934711)

Sure, as long as there's enough space on the touchscreen leftover for the display section... which for iPod games should be true.

Edit: Hmm, now the oddball 320x480 kind of makes sense. Cut it in half vertically and you get a 320x240 video ipod, plus a second like area for "controls".

D1G1T4L 07-18-2007 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sobe (Post 3934970)
yeah they sold you a phone that can hold several gigs of movies, music, and audio books.

I'm sure soduku and tetris are at the top of their list...

You can almost bet it is close. Something else they can sell us in iTunes just like they have done with our iPods. It is on that list don't worry ;)

Plus this touch screen is just screaming for a port of Bejeweled.

As far as simulated touch wheel? NOOOOO Lets keep moving forward and not back. Let them make touch screen versions of the games.

[G5]Hydra 07-18-2007 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D1G1T4L (Post 3935448)
Plus this touch screen is just screaming for a port of Bejeweled.

diamenty/

You can stop screaming now :p

D1G1T4L 07-18-2007 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [G5]Hydra (Post 3935466)
diamenty/

You can stop screaming now :p

I'm not screaming :p

Talk to the screen.

Having games that are not depended on Edge/Wifi is more what I was referring too.

kdarling 07-18-2007 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D1G1T4L (Post 3935448)
As far as simulated touch wheel? NOOOOO Lets keep moving forward and not back. Let them make touch screen versions of the games.

Depends, of course. Some games like TicTacToe, Chess and the like would be fine as touch. Basically anywhere you'd normally use your hand, or pencil etc to move or mark.

Others like Tetris would be awful, because you don't want your fingers covering the action. That's also when buttons will be missed the most, since people are used to resting their fingers lightly on game controls between pushes.

D1G1T4L 07-18-2007 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdarling (Post 3935499)
Depends, of course. Some games like TicTacToe, Chess and the like would be fine as touch. Basically anywhere you'd normally use your hand, or pencil etc to move or mark.

Others like Tetris would be awful, because you don't want your fingers covering the action. That's also when buttons will be missed the most, since people are used to resting their fingers lightly on game controls between pushes.

Same could be said with the virtual keyboard. ;)

Tetris with buttons on the screen would work fine IMO.

Of course there are those who like the keyboard and those who don't so guess we will have to wait and see what Apple does.

OrleansMac 07-18-2007 11:25 PM

As I said with ringtones, I expect games to come very soon to the iPhone.

I don't want complicated/long games but just simple & fun ones such as solitare

AJsAWiz 07-19-2007 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D1G1T4L (Post 3935473)
I'm not screaming :p

Talk to the screen.

Having games that are not depended on Edge/Wifi is more what I was referring too.

It's my understanding that all iPhone apps (games included) are web based.:apple:

pr5owner 07-19-2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrleansMac (Post 3936189)
As I said with ringtones, I expect games to come very soon to the iPhone.

I don't want complicated/long games but just simple & fun ones such as solitare

dopewars?

zap2 07-19-2007 07:25 PM

give me some Snood, and I'd be happy!

OrleansMac 07-19-2007 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zap2 (Post 3939776)
give me some Snood, and I'd be happy!

Oh Snood. Good one.

Dopewars? If its fun, bring it on! :D

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=331309

Surur

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Games? More frustrated iPhone users.

Surur

My favorite part from the post you quoted is....

"I really need the games to start coming in. I was in the hospital for a long time last night with no signal whatsoever. I really needed some quick entertainment. "

I guess 8 gigs worth of music, movies, and podcasts doesn't count.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site

"I really need the games to start coming in. I was in the hospital for a long time last night with no signal whatsoever. I really needed some quick entertainment. "

I guess not.

Surur

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site

Not when what you want is to play a game.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
There are grades of fanboys?

tomad 07-19-2007 07:59 PM

apple censorship?

I posted on Apple's forum my experience with my i-phone becoming inoperable after 15 days. The Apple store has sent it back for repairs. I posted how I felt it was poor customer relations to make me pay the $30 loaner fee for a $600 phone that is only two weeks old. I can understand that there is always going to be some defective units coming off a production line - I happened to be unlucky this time and got one. I had also faxed a letter to apple customer service and got one call stating they would send me a case for the phone and a second follow up call asking if that was satisfactory. $30 is nothing to me. It is the principal. I am a long time apple user (since the early 80"s) and currently we have in our household 3 mac computers, 3 i-pods, and the i-phone. When I was in the apple store the manager on duty pulled up my records and stated that he saw I was a good customer but couldn't override the policy charging the $30.

Had lots of quick responses to my post (all but 1 positive) but Apple removed it. Now I believe what I've heard and read - you can't voice anything negative about them or their products on their website.

Yes I will continue to be an Apple fan and buy their products, (I still think they're the best) but the blind loyalty I've had all these years is gone.

dfnj123 07-19-2007 08:03 PM

people on apple's forums = extreme fanboys

pr5owner 07-19-2007 08:33 PM

WTF under 30 days and they didnt pay the loaner fee?

with my company if any product is defective within 30 days that is DOA to us,

we pay for shipping (BOTH WAYS) give them a new product and ship 1 day fedex, they get a new product before he/she even ships the defective one back on OUR fedex account.

that is bad customer service IMO. if it was over 30 or 45 days i could see that they would want to charge you, but under 2 weeks!!!!

FreeState 07-19-2007 09:17 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong asking for $30 on a loaner.

On a side note, do not take this personally, just an observation - but why is it there are always post here from first time poster that claim to be long time Apple users and supporters but they always seem to spell the name of the product they purchased wrong? Hint: its not spelled I-phone, I-pod or I-mac. Just a pet peeve of mine I guess.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=331836

Surur

meyerweb#CB

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
"I don't think there's anything wrong asking $30 for loaner...."

There's no limit to excuses some people will make for Apple, is there? If my Treo died in less than 2 weeks, I expect to walk out with a new phone, not a loaner. And I'd sure as heck not be willing to pay because Palm / Sprint / whoever sold me a defective device.

Apple's arrogance knows no bounds.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Most companies have employee brochures, procedure manuals etc. Most companies don't write them, they use boilerplate's or the "borrow" one from a company they used to work for. I consult to many large engineering firms and have to deal with them on a daily basis. Means of communication and other protocols are established and means of communication defined. Our work is also reviewed by regulatory agencies. Again communication here is defined by rules.

1. Contact with regulatory agencies is limited to phone, written and e-mail communication. Phone contact is limited to M-W-F mornings and T-T afternoons. All communications if significance must be in writing or e-mail.

2. Contact with partnering engineering firms is limited to written, e-mail and phone communication.

Part of this is for legal and liability reasons, part of it is to maintain written records but the biggest part of it, strange as it may seem, is that people have to actually get work done between 9 to 5 and if repeated "doodlle-doots" are going to keep interrupting them that can't happen. That's why many offices and the regulatory agencies limit phone call contact to certain hours....so people can get work done.

Think about it, I have soemone sitting here designing a bridge girder for a bridge near your house. It requires a fair amount of concentration. As he is working my way through the calculations, he hears "doddle doot"...."Honey can ya bring home milk and bread ?' .... after answering, peep backs up a few steps to restablish his train of thought ....."doodle doot" ..... "yo dude, we still going out to McGagles after work....it''s dollar shots night" Answers no ..... gets back to work......"doodle doot" ..... "Hey where's the spec for the County Road 35 job ?" .... "In the library" ....."now where the hell was I again....crap, I better start over ?"

Heck many offices still have a "no personal phone calls policy". We are a bit informal and allow personal calls but since they are obvious and abuses can be monitored. IM not so. About half the firms I do business with limit phone calls to certain hours.... before 10 am or after 3 pm unless there is a particularly urgent matter. My doctor has the same policy, I do business with over a dozen law firms, they have the same policy. Our accountants have the same policy.

Our profession requires continuing education (36 hours per year). I teach courses on Network Safety (Protecting your network from outside attack, intrusion and employee theft / mishaps) and Intraoffice and Interoffice Communications (Limiting your Liabilities). In teaching the course, I have encountered no firms which list IM as an acceptable form of communication in the Office Manuals. More than half specifically prohibit.

Now there are industries such as sales where it might be useful but if I'm responsible for the bottom line , it would be strictly in house only. Anyone routinely using AOL IM to get milk and bread messages, sports scores, "water cooler" type discussions on the latest TV episode" would be canned.

I am on vacation.

In other words you couldn't come up with anything to counter the logic with, so adopted SPR (standard playground response). This easier for you ?

Mike: "Your phone sux, it doesn't have ringtones"

Jack: "I don't use ringtones, I find them obnoxious and annoying"

Mike: "Well your phone is still suckie cause now they have a 23 step hack that lets you add ringtones"

Jack: "I still don't like ringtones, and will not be doing the 23 step hack cause I still find them obnoxious and annoying. I think people who use ringtones should have to pay a tax for annoying the general public."

Mike: "Aha....see even your vendor knows the phone sux.....they are coming out with a patch which adds ringtones"

Jack: " I still find them obnoxious and annoying, I will never apply the patch unless it is packaged with something I do need and will never even consider give up my screen, my UI and my web experience for something as meaningless as ringtones.

Mike: "yeah....well....ya phone still sux....and ....oh yeah....you're retaded"

Jack,

Thanks for the laborious post about engineering firms.

It's called time management. If you can't do it, dont blame the technology.

If this is your vacation, I have one word: lame.

As for you playground response you desire, I'll pass; I'm sure you are all too familiar with playgrounds from your own lonely past. Don't involve me in your imaginary conversations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR