10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
this whole thread is crap. it should be expected to find some "thread crapping" on the dung that was originally laid when you created this post.
From wikiedia

"Trolls can be existing members of a community that rarely post and often contribute no useful information to the thread, but instead make argumentative posts in an attempt to discredit another person, concentrating almost exclusively on facts irrelevant to the point of the conversation, ....."
Huh.

So here at TC we can just decide on our own when to thread crap and troll, based on if we think the topic is worthy or not. That's good to know :thumbsup:

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
We have that thread already Oal...

This whole iPhone-hating thread really gets you, it's hilarious.

this thread is ridiculous and you know it. not only do you know it, most anyone reading it knows it. it's silly in nature. garbage in, garbage out.

what is hilarious is the difficulty you have with these kinds of posts. and the authority which you try to claim is even more funny.

others seem to enjoy the original poster's silliness then one might imply that they would surely enjoy other's attempts. right? or is it only a one-way street around here?

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Posting negatives about Windows Mobile makes you a troll, but posting negatives about the iPhone does not?
exactly!

This thread is about posting negatives about the iPhone, hence the title (can you read?)

Is that ambiguous in anyway?

We have a thread on posting negatives about WM, so yeah...that makes someone a troll. :rolleyes:

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
exactly!

This thread is about posting negatives about the iPhone, hence the title (can you read?)

Is that ambiguous in anyway?

We have a thread on posting negatives about WM, so yeah...that makes someone a troll. :rolleyes:

Calm down Malatesta. Its only a cell phone. Try putting down your Moto Q and going outside. Its a nice day out in NY. Maybe go to the park.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Calm down Malatesta. Its only a cell phone. Try putting down your Moto Q and going outside. Its a nice day out in NY. Maybe go to the park.
Thanks for your concern, but
(a) I'm at work/on break
(b) It's Long Island, it's as ugly as the people
(c) I don't use the Moto Q anymore, just the 700wx
(d) I'm on the phone with Sprint, waiting...lol

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Here's a really good thread.

mcdj 07-18-2007 10:46 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name the 5 things you miss most about your previous phone.

My last phone was the lovely little Nokia 6300. I love my iPhone, but there are things I do miss about the 6300, and pretty much every other modern phone I've had. I've decided that the iPhone's added benefits outweigh the things I miss, but I still miss 'em.

1. SMS/email/missed call indicator via cool flashing blue lights.
The Nokia case (which I also really miss) was brilliantly designed not to hide the side lights. I could look at the phone without even touching it and know within seconds if I'd received a call/text/email. With the iPhone, if I'm not around to hear/feel the sound/vibration, or if the sound decides not to play (my sound seems to time out after a period of inactivity), I'm forced to take the phone out the case and press a button (at the minimum). A repeating sound option sure would alleviate some of this inconvenice.

2. One touch speed dialing.
Favorites is swell and all, but click the home button/slide to unlock/tap the phone icon/tap favorites/tap phone number doesn't hold a candle to speed dial. Favorites also makes me a little nervous. I've tapped the wrong phone number more than once.

3. One handed operation.
There's not a whole lot I can do entirely with one hand on the iPhone. I was trying to take a photo today, from a high angle with one hand. I was sure I was gonna drop it. The camera button is very awkwardly placed. Nevermind texting or web surfing. The iPhone is about 10% bigger than I'd like it to be...my fingers just can't reach diagonally across the screen for that one tap needed to make something happen. I find myself regularly stopping on the street, putting down what I'm carrying, or putting it under my arm, and continuing what I was doing on the phone.

4. Copy/paste.
If an itty bitty Nokia can do it...

5. Java games.
I'm 39 and I like silly little games. I had Lumines, Bejeweled (REAL Bejeweled), Air Hockey, Pinball, etc. I played them while waiting for a train, while on the train, in cabs, even in the bathroom (sorry). Watching movies on the iPhone is awesome of course, but sometimes you don't wanna pay attention to a story, you just wanna mash some buttons. Even if Apple opens up the phone to developers, it will be a very long time before there are anywhere near the amount of games for the iPhone that there are for the rest of the Java-enabled phone world.

There are other things I miss, like custom ringtones and stuff, but with the exception of copy/paste, which I'm hopeful will show up in an update, I've tried to focus here on things that it seems like I'll just have to learn to do without, until maybe the next iPhone.

Your turn.

Gonzlobo 07-18-2007 10:59 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My $1200. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdj (Post 3936103)
5. Java games.
I'm 39 and I like silly little games. I had Lumines, Bejeweled (REAL Bejeweled), Air Hockey, Pinball, etc. I played them while waiting for a train, while on the train, in cabs, even in the bathroom (sorry). Watching movies on the iPhone is awesome of course, but sometimes you don't wanna pay attention to a story, you just wanna mash some buttons. Even if Apple opens up the phone to developers, it will be a very long time before there are anywhere near the amount of games for the iPhone that there are for the rest of the Java-enabled phone world.

Your turn.

Try diamenty.iphone.pl

siurpeeman 07-18-2007 11:03 PM

1. not worrying about dropping it.

2. not worrying about people wanting to see and play with it.

3. no custom ringtones (apple, fix this!).

overall, though, i'm very satisfied with my iphone. to echo what a lot of people say, it's really the first phone that i ever really liked. it's something i can really see owning for a really long time (possibly the duration of the contract).

FreeState 07-18-2007 11:03 PM

Not worrying I would lose it
The sticker my partner put on the back of it (it was a practical joke)
My background picture of Moby and me I cant get to download - stupid picture mail you cant access

thats it there is not 5 things I miss about it! It was a POS.

coolbreeze 07-18-2007 11:16 PM

Dont have a list, but the lack of a todo list is mind boggling. The number one thing I miss about my old phone.

megfilmworks 07-18-2007 11:18 PM

1. Not much
2. Very Little
3. Even Less
4. Nothing
5. Dropping it on purpose

opticalserenity 07-18-2007 11:18 PM

PUSH email. Right now it takes about 8-12 minutes to get my supposed Yahoo Push email. :-(

roland.g 07-19-2007 12:10 AM

The slider.
The feel.
Custom Ringtones and Alarm Music.
The slider.
The feel.

I had a Nokia 8801 slider. Nice weight, stainless steel. Slider bearings made by BMW or Mercedes-Benz, I forget which. It opened and closed so nicely. Still have it and as it is unlocked I can throw my AT&T Sim in there, but I don't see any reason too.

#6. The thing was basically unscratchable, screen and body. All stainless steel, not a single mark on it after almost 2 years.

timotheezz 07-19-2007 12:18 AM

Came from an LG nV from Verizon.

1) MMS
2) Video Capture (even though it sucked)
3) Zoom/Flash on Camera
4) Dual screen (well not really, iPhone's is one massive screen)
5) Ability to SMS multiple contacts

I grabbed the LG the other day and pretended to send a text. It felt literally yucky (dunno how else to describe) to type on it.
I have to press hard on these keys? WTH?
It doesn't auto-correct? Huh?!!

Nearly 3 weeks with the iPhone, and I love typing on it. Texting and e-mailing is awesome. It's literally touch typing at its finest.

Nall 07-19-2007 12:30 AM

1) J2ME games
2) bluetooth
3) download and manage files
3) MMS
4) SMS w/ multiple recipients

CyberGeek 07-19-2007 12:35 AM

1) Being able to dial a number right after unlocking it.

And that's my entire list. That phone was lame.

Goldenbear 07-19-2007 12:50 AM

Still have the old SLVR L7 as a backup...

1) Voice Dialing
2) Custom ringtones (even though it only worked sometimes - yeah, phone sucked)
3) Voice Dialing
4) No worries about scratches
5) Did I mention Voice Dialing?

Having said that, there's no way I'd willingly go back to a "normal" cell phone (or even one of the not-so-smart phones).

zap2 07-19-2007 01:39 AM

Not having to care about it....my old phone was terrible. Its screen had be broken since '06.......very happy with a phone I can see who is calling me on

synth3tik 07-19-2007 01:53 AM

I really miss how crappy my old phone was:(

keithpetey 07-19-2007 02:01 AM

i miss the way my old phone and i would connect on another level.

right when i would be in the middle of a important call, it was like it almost knew that it was a perfect time to drop a call.

charging it all time. it was kinda like caring for a child in a way. it was so needy. always hungry for more. in fact i named him, Sam Sung.

once i got really trashed and hung up on this girl and started talking **** about her to my friend, but good old Sam...he knew that she wanted to hear it so he kept her on the line and actually put her on speakerphone. how thoughtful.

dealing with good ol sprint customer support...the phone conversations usually went along these lines.

me: i want to throw more money at you.
them: you do?...uh well...ummm...im gonna have to extend your contract for an additional 2 years.
me: *click*

ricgnzlzcr 07-19-2007 02:12 AM

1. GAMES. I really need this because sometimes I'm in areas with no signal and in which I don't want to watch videos. It doesn't have to be anything too complex (although that would be welcome), but something that can keep me busy for 1 minute or 60 minutes.

2. 3rd party apps. I can't stand the web apps. I was in the hospital the other day and had no connection so immediately I had no internet, phone, or any apps to play with except notes and calendar. I want apps on my phone.

3. No crashing. Although this is very very minor.

4. The money in my pocket. Very expensive but worth it.

5. The stares. I'm not very fond of attention from strangers so when I whip this sucker out everyone notices and I'm not a fan of that.

kellen 07-19-2007 02:23 AM

Miss the SD card reader and thus the ability to use it as a storage device.

Things I dont miss is the treo 650 resetting every 1/2 hour, the format of the web browser, and the bulkiness of it (iphone nearly the same size, but seems sleeker and better).

Just ordered a treo 750 from AT&T, as my contract was up. Going to sell that to subsidize my iphone.

mrat93 07-19-2007 02:29 AM

In no perticular order:

1. MMS
2. Video recording.
3. Now I use the iPhone even when there's a faster, easier way to do something (I use the iPhone for internet or email when the computer's right in front of me or I'm a minute from home)
4. Games
5. Absolutely nothing :D , RAZRs suck!

Kamera RAWr 07-19-2007 03:10 AM

Hmmm... I don't even remember what I liked or disliked about my old mobile phone... Last one I owned was 6 years ago... it is iPhone that brought me back from the brink :eek:

digitalfx 07-19-2007 08:07 AM

1. 3G
2. Exchange support
3. 3G (Simultanious voice/data)
4. better applications
5. copy/paste

jamesarm97 07-19-2007 08:26 AM

1) Notes that I can enter on the PC/Mac and sync. It really sucks to have to type all my notes on the phone.

2) No To-do list (don't give me the web 2.0 to-do list crap. I have tried twice to use them and both time I had no signal way back in the grocery store).

3) eWallet / Secure storage of important numbers / accounts / settings, etc. I used this all the time on my pocketPC to store my ssn numbers, bank accounts, webpages / username passwords, other useful important info. (I will not use the web 2.0 app to store such important info, and it takes forever for the page to load, if I have a signal when I need it).

4) Cut and Paste

5) Local storage and file viewer. I need to put on some PDF's and Word documents that I can view at any time. A good eBook reader would also be nice.

- James

lilnyc 07-19-2007 08:28 AM

1. 3G (not b/c of speed as much as dual data/talk capability)

2. Search

3. Specific tones differentiating between calls and incoming data

4. Voice dial from my bluetooth headset (not AT&T's service)

5. Obscurity. No one was like, "Oooh, the Cingular 8525!! Let me see!"

Overall, I don't miss it. Otherwise, I wouldn't have sold it.

cdd543 07-19-2007 08:29 AM

1. blackberry email..messages were always there
2. gps on 8800

JoJoCal19 07-19-2007 08:46 AM

1. EVDO
2. Custom Ringtones
3. Ability to watch TV via Sling Player

Well thats about it....

tobefirst 07-19-2007 08:48 AM

I came from a Sony Ericsson w810i, so you know where I'm coming from.

I miss the battery life the most. I could get 5-6 DAYS on my w810i. The iPhone needs to be charged every other day.

I miss the one touch dialing. "Favorites" is cool and all...but not the same thing.

Bluetooth file browsing.

That's about it. (Anyone wanna buy a great phone?)

dwm 07-19-2007 08:52 AM

1. Time Display without clicking a button, unlocking the phone, etc. Perhaps they could find room for a small black and white LCD info panel.

2. Notification of missed calls, new messages, etc. without clicking a button, unlocking the phone, etc. Another use for a small LCD info panel that is always visible even when the phone is locked. But a flashing LED would work.

3. One-Touch Calling. I don't know how they could do this physically, but maybe replace the functionality with voice recognition of ten or so Favorites.

4. Custom Ringtones. From mp3, aac, and particularly midi.

5. File Explorer. Via Bluetooth.

Perhaps Apple should add ONE more button somewhere to indicate that you want to use the phone function immediately and then display the keypad for dialing and if you press one of the number buttons long enough it will dial a Favorite associated with that number (like on my old Motorola).

dr_lha 07-19-2007 08:56 AM

I had/have a SE T637, here's what I "miss" about it (if I really missed it that much I could put the SIM card back in it!)

1. Loud SMS alert volume (my #1 problem with iPhone).
2. Bluetooth sync/file transfer (although USB is fine)
3. Customizable rings/alerts
4. Increasing ring sound (ring gets louder the longer I don't answer)
5. Louder volume during calls

That said, I love my iPhone! :)

Sobe 07-19-2007 09:01 AM

I miss my $600 and the $45 monthly bill.

Other than that, nothing.

killmoms 07-19-2007 09:03 AM

About all I miss from my hacked Verizon RAZR is how easy it was to put custom ringtones on. But now that I can get them on my iPhone, it's not as big a deal. Oh, I guess it's annoying that multi-part texts from Verizon users just get truncated (or how long messages from me to them get split up into two). I don't know if that's an iPhone thing or an AT&T thing, but either way it needs to get fixed.

Lixivial 07-19-2007 09:27 AM

Well, let me count the ways...

The 96x65 pixel resolution monochrome display. Snake never looked so good. I became a master at the scrolling pinball game, too; so much so that I could balance the ball on the bumpers and it would be unmovable.

The bug where I'd receive the same text message hundreds of times until I powercycled the phone. If I didn't do this in time, it'd overwrite my old messages due to its limited storage capacity. It would also fail to notify me of new messages. Never had to worry about nostalgia or tracking conversations!

The UFO-esque way the backlight worked. Four lights behind a semi-transparent shell made the phone look like a UFO in the night sky. Made me look super high tech.

The insanely strong vibrate function. Half the time it was louder than the ringtone.

The always helpful predictive text. It really worked better than the iPhone's. I mean, you know. I was trying to write "This phone is really cool." and it was accurately turned into, "This are thing **** crumb."
I love Nokia, and I truly miss my Nokia 2285. I can't wait to have this discussion about the iPhone in the future, because I'm already lining up thoughts on the matter. :)

slffl 07-19-2007 09:45 AM

Not having to worry about dropping and breaking it.

lawcomic 07-19-2007 10:01 AM

From my Treo 650, I miss:

1. Third party apps, mainly Ultrasoft's Datashield
2. Custom ringtones
3. One touch/speed dial
4. A visual indicator that i missed a call or text (without having to "wake" the phone) via flashing LED
5. Battery life/knowledge I could easily replace the battery
****** Also adding *********
6. Video camera
7. Ability to sync notes to desktop

Still very happy with the decision, despite all the above.

CyberGreg 07-19-2007 07:16 PM

The five things I miss most about my old SE K550i;

1. I could take my phone out anywhere and no one gave a crap

2. I managed my Internet time much better because I had a whopping 1MB/month transfer

3. I didn't waste time sending text message because it was such a pain typing text on a friggin number pad

4. I only needed to sync my address book once because I hardly used my phone

5. Putting custom ringtones and themes was very easy through bluetooth

:cool:

voicegy 07-19-2007 08:01 PM

I miss my old RAZR because it...

1. Took video as well as still shots.
2. Handled custom ring tones.
3. Folded very slim and unfolded longer than the iPhone.
4. Seemed to have kept a longer charge.
5. Fit easy on my hip holster.

Would I take it back? Hell no.

mokeiko 07-19-2007 08:10 PM

The five things I miss about my Treo650:

1. Constant notifications for sms, email, etc.

2. Push email

3. Ftp

4. Download any file locally

5. Ability to access work email

mokeiko

ctakim 07-19-2007 09:52 PM

Nothing, because I still have to lug the pitiful sucker around!! As long as the iPhone can't play nice with Microsoft Exchange, I have to keep my Treo 750 around. Hurry up with the Exchange access, please! Yes, I have two phones with me all the time.

uscmatt 07-19-2007 10:13 PM

From my 2-year old Verizon Samsung flip phone, I miss:

1. Reassembling it every time i drop it. Kinda reminds me of Legos which were pretty fun.

2. Using Verizon's $4.99 "internet" option. I could get you a movie time in seven minutes, no problem.

3. Biting the antenna while i was deep in thought.

4. The excitement of a battery charge that lasted 20 minutes of talk time. Cuts down on listening to the gf's "hard" day at work.

5. When it was cold outside, the screen would keep my ear warm.

cdd543 07-19-2007 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slffl (Post 3937461)
Not having to worry about dropping and breaking it.

That is a big one. I find myself rather paranoid about damaging it.

mcdj 07-19-2007 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscmatt (Post 3940363)
1. Reassembling it every time i drop it. Kinda reminds me of Legos which were pretty fun.

2. Using Verizon's $4.99 "internet" option. I could get you a movie time in seven minutes, no problem.

4. The excitement of a battery charge that lasted 20 minutes of talk time. Cuts down on listening to the gf's "hard" day at work.

LOL @ every one of these.

Anthony8720 07-20-2007 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeState (Post 3936128)
Not worrying I would lose it
The sticker my partner put on the back of it (it was a practical joke)
My background picture of Moby and me I cant get to download - stupid picture mail you cant access

thats it there is not 5 things I miss about it! It was a POS.

Just resize that picture in photo shop, then add it to your iPhoto librarary and sync it. Then, just set it as a wallpaper like you normally would.

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscmatt (Post 3940363)
From my 2-year old Verizon Samsung flip phone, I miss:

About #2. I can locate a theater, get showtimes, and have the phone dial the theater and buy the tix within 1-2min on vznavigator (which beats the crap out of google maps), and oh yeah, it would then give me turn by turn directions using GPS. Love the iphone, but I just had to throw that in there. And yes, I pay 99 a month for verizons premium plan...but throw in atnt's rediculous taxes, and im basically paying 10more a month for gps, mms, and dozens of channels of broadband content through vcast. I mean, i was watching an episode of dirty jobs the other day while waiting at the doctors office...if i still had my iphone, i would be watching youtube. No comparison. Yeah, if you can't tell already, i had an iphone and returned it..waiting for some real functionality out of such a pretty device.

beate 07-20-2007 03:27 AM

1. MP3 Ringtones
2. Voice calling
3. Battery would last 5-8 days (of course I used the phone maybe once a week)
4. My perfect case, of which I have one unused one as I bought an extra.
5. I really liked the way the Razr felt in my hand and the sense that it was indestructible.

Daremo 07-20-2007 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberGeek (Post 3936294)
1) Being able to dial a number right after unlocking it.

And that's my entire list. That phone was lame.

You can actually do that on the iPhone. Before you put it to sleep, the last screen up should be the keypad. Press the top sleep button, and the next time you unlock it, the keypad is the first screen to pop up.

joekix 07-20-2007 04:22 AM

i had the original motorola rokr (itunes phone)

things i miss:

1. the ability to throw my phone around and not care about it.

2. text messaging multiple people at one time & mms

3. taking video

i guess that's it.

Daremo 07-20-2007 04:24 AM

1. MMS. There's no excuse to NOT have a basic feature on almost every phone on the market today. I miss this feature more then ANYTHING. I would use this almost daily to send photos to family members of my daughter, or using it for work related issues. I know people say "Well, you can email it" BUT, not everyone I send images too have easy access to internet, but they DO have their phone with them.

2. Custom Ringtones. Again, this is something a MUSIC player should have.

3. LOUD ring volume. I miss most calls if the TV is on. I can never hear this.

4. Bluetooth file browser. This needs to have a disk mode. 8 gigs and no file transfers, saving images from emails, or saving downloaded content? Come on...

5. Multiple person text messages.

I miss my $1200 on 2 phones, and they are missing so many basic features. Damn, I love this phone, but it REALLY needs an update already.

PowerFullMac 07-20-2007 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithpetey (Post 3936548)
i miss the way my old phone and i would connect on another level.

right when i would be in the middle of a important call, it was like it almost knew that it was a perfect time to drop a call.

charging it all time. it was kinda like caring for a child in a way. it was so needy. always hungry for more. in fact i named him, Sam Sung.

once i got really trashed and hung up on this girl and started talking **** about her to my friend, but good old Sam...he knew that she wanted to hear it so he kept her on the line and actually put her on speakerphone. how thoughtful.

dealing with good ol sprint customer support...the phone conversations usually went along these lines.

me: i want to throw more money at you.
them: you do?...uh well...ummm...im gonna have to extend your contract for an additional 2 years.
me: *click*

Funnyest thing I heard all week lol!

dukeblue91 07-20-2007 09:37 AM

Nothing.
I love the iPhone for what it is.

PowerFullMac 07-20-2007 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdd543 (Post 3940473)
That is a big one. I find myself rather paranoid about damaging it.

Watch the first video here: http://www.hacktheiphone.com/iphone_videos.html

elg23 07-20-2007 09:55 AM

1. smaller size
2) bt file exchange
3) games
4) normal ringtones... the iphone has horrible ringtones (who the hell uses crickets?!) the only normal one is marimba... i just want a normal modern sounding phone ring (something like "old phone" but more modern)

other than that, the iphone blows it away...

David R 07-20-2007 10:11 AM

1) Password safe. I can keep several pins and passwords that I need to know but hardly ever use so I don't remember them.

2) Copy and paste. I didn't realize how much I did it until I got the iPhone

3) 3rd party apps. There is some truly useful stuff out there. "Web 2.0" apps don't cut it. I don't want to have to use Safari for apps that don't belong in there. And if Wi-Fi is not available, those apps are painfully slow or simply not available because of my location.

4) Games. Helps keep busy in quiet environments since I don't normally carry headphones with me.

5) Custom ringtones. I like to choose loud, but normal sounding, ringtone. No music, no voices, no happy melodies, just a loud tone type thing of my choosing so that I know it's *my* phone.

DylanG 07-20-2007 10:45 AM

Voice dialing is the only critical feature I miss.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=331490

Surur

JackNaylorPE

Feb 15, 2005
Visit site
The main reason to get the iPhone.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1205403

right now the IPhone is at an all time high for WOW factor. EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE wants to see it when I have mine on. Total strangers stop me and ask about it. I haven't gotten this much attention over a phone since my old I95 limited...now there was an attention getting phone! Modded up with matching lightup battery and custome mp3 ringtones, man it was a lady catcher! BUT the IPhone has surpased even that!! So if you like being the new guy with the latest gadgets, and love the attention, then that is just another reason to get the IPhone.

Then the converse must also be true....same attitude, different device. Funny thing is those who "fit the pictures" are snickering at the other guy and feeling all smug about it no matter what side they are on not realizing that they are all painted with the same brush, only a different color paint.

right now the IPhone is at an all time high for WOW factor. EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE wants to see it and peeps no longer pay attention to me and my [insert other phone name here]. Total strangers no longer stop me and ask me about it. I don't get any attention over my phone anymore...before the iPhone, my phone was an attention getting phone! Modded up with glittered case and custom mp3 ringtones, man it was a lady catcher! BUT the IPhone has surpased my phone for wow factor. So if you like being the new guy with the latest gadgets, and love the attention, but are stuck in an existing contract with your carrier, then that is just another reason to go on every phone forum you can find and trash the IPhone.

In summary, (last day of vacation so will have less free time). IMO, the following isn't really debatable unless you are a "phone fundamentalist" looking forward to a heaven with 72 virgins all holding your chosen smartphones in each hand when you die.

A phone is a tool ! A tool that is the best possible thing for you, doesn't make it the best possible tool for everyone.

A tool doesn't have to have all the features that you need (or better said want) to make it a perfect tool for other people....even a lot of people. Smartphones had 6% of the US market in 2006. If the market grows 20% in 2007, that means it would be a whopping 7%. That means 94% of the people last year (93% this) decided that the features many of us treasure were not important enough for 94% of people to lay down their cash. Accept it...smartphone users (defined in the context I am using as Treo like devices ...I have learned it is necessary to repeat all "fine print" in every post) are a small minority. Note however that the Q is not in that treo like category and as the largest selling smartphone in that 6%....it's a pretty safe bet that actual numbers for Treo like devices sold last year in the US are under 5%. But regardless the point isn't whether it s 5, 6 or 7%....it's small.

How long spec and feature lists are is unimportant. The only thing that is important is whether the tool accomplishes the tasks you want it to and whether it does that in an efficient manner.

The iPhone doesn't do a lot of things. One can make a list of things a phone doesn't do for any product on the market. If it does what you need it to do, buy it. If it doesn't don't. Because any tool doesn't do all the things you want it to do (or sometimes better said think you want it to), doesn't make it suck....it's just the wrong tool to pick in your situation. A feature is only important if you actually use it.

Every phone in history has been released with bugs. Anyone spending more than 10 minutes on this forum will learn that at least 35% (it's a guess, I didn't perform a statistical analysis so please lets not argue the number) of the threads here are about problems and bugs. Bugs generally get fixed. MS has released over 102 individual SP3 bug fixes for XP (an OS going on 6 years of age) Palm often takes a year or more to get updates out. If you are going to judge Apple, judge them by the same criteria as you judge everyone else. Make list of bugs found in the 1st generation of a product you want to wave the flag for before you start comparing.

A major motivator for some people buying the iPhone will be to impress their friends. This is not a new phenomenon. This has been true for every impact making gadget ever made.

Any device may perform better than another in a specific areas. The reverse may be true in another area. The weight given to each advantage / disadvantage is user dependent.

Personally, I won't get an iPhone, the 650 is a better fit for me. That doesn't make the iPhone suck. It doesn't make iPhone users retards. It is a groundbreaking device that will cause a paradigm shift in the industry.

1. The bar for UI's has been raised.
2. The bar from web browsing on a handheld has been raised to a level I certainly couldn't even imagine.
3. The iPhone brought a whole new subset of users into the device category. The apparent size of this subset is bigger than many thought it would be.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Then the converse must also be true....same attitude, different device. Funny thing is those who "fit the pictures" are snickering at the other guy and feeling all smug about it no matter what side they are on not realizing that they are all painted with the same brush, only a different color paint.

right now the IPhone is at an all time high for WOW factor. EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE wants to see it and peeps no longer pay attention to me and my [insert other phone name here]. Total strangers no longer stop me and ask me about it. I don't get any attention over my phone anymore...before the iPhone, my phone was an attention getting phone! Modded up with glittered case and custom mp3 ringtones, man it was a lady catcher! BUT the IPhone has surpased my phone for wow factor. So if you like being the new guy with the latest gadgets, and love the attention, but are stuck in an existing contract with your carrier, then that is just another reason to go on every phone forum you can find and trash the IPhone.

In summary, (last day of vacation so will have less free time). IMO, the following isn't really debatable unless you are a "phone fundamentalist" looking forward to a heaven with 72 virgins all holding your chosen smartphones in each hand when you die.

A phone is a tool ! A tool that is the best possible thing for you, doesn't make it the best possible tool for everyone.

A tool doesn't have to have all the features that you need (or better said want) to make it a perfect tool for other people....even a lot of people. Smartphones had 6% of the US market in 2006. If the market grows 20% in 2007, that means it would be a whopping 7%. That means 94% of the people last year (93% this) decided that the features many of us treasure were not important enough for 94% of people to lay down their cash. Accept it...smartphone users (defined in the context I am using as Treo like devices ...I have learned it is necessary to repeat all "fine print" in every post) are a small minority. Note however that the Q is not in that treo like category and as the largest selling smartphone in that 6%....it's a pretty safe bet that actual numbers for Treo like devices sold last year in the US are under 5%. But regardless the point isn't whether it s 5, 6 or 7%....it's small.

How long spec and feature lists are is unimportant. The only thing that is important is whether the tool accomplishes the tasks you want it to and whether it does that in an efficient manner.

The iPhone doesn't do a lot of things. One can make a list of things a phone doesn't do for any product on the market. If it does what you need it to do, buy it. If it doesn't don't. Because any tool doesn't do all the things you want it to do (or sometimes better said think you want it to), doesn't make it suck....it's just the wrong tool to pick in your situation. A feature is only important if you actually use it.

Every phone in history has been released with bugs. Anyone spending more than 10 minutes on this forum will learn that at least 35% (it's a guess, I didn't perform a statistical analysis so please lets not argue the number) of the threads here are about problems and bugs. Bugs generally get fixed. MS has released over 102 individual SP3 bug fixes for XP (an OS going on 6 years of age) Palm often takes a year or more to get updates out. If you are going to judge Apple, judge them by the same criteria as you judge everyone else. Make list of bugs found in the 1st generation of a product you want to wave the flag for before you start comparing.

A major motivator for some people buying the iPhone will be to impress their friends. This is not a new phenomenon. This has been true for every impact making gadget ever made.

Any device may perform better than another in a specific areas. The reverse may be true in another area. The weight given to each advantage / disadvantage is user dependent.

Personally, I won't get an iPhone, the 650 is a better fit for me. That doesn't make the iPhone suck. It doesn't make iPhone users retards. It is a groundbreaking device that will cause a paradigm shift in the industry.

2. The bar from web browsing on a handheld has been raised to a level I certainly couldn't even imagine.
3. The iPhone brought a whole new subset of users into the device category. The apparent size of this subset is bigger than many thought it would be.

800 words again! Your post is too long to read, but I would be surprised if any of our bricks ever impressed the ladies. They are not fashion phones like the iPhone.

Surur

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site

Agreed (except I hate when people use the word "retards").

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner