10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackNaylorPE

Feb 15, 2005
Visit site
Faith in Apple Jack, faith in Apple. Everyone is waiting for the update that will fix all the iPhone's (many) ills. And because its Apple they know, deep in their hearts, that it will come. Their child-like belief is endearing really.

True to form, a non repsonsive response. Answer the question. I went through all the trouble to make it easy by putting it in bold and all.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
I use it all the time for business. Its an unintrusive way for my office to communicate with me while I am on appts in the field.

i know, i know.....email is no longer a preferred method of business communication. it's all about sms/mms/chat, right?

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
On an inter-office level YES! Email is still preferred for communications with other offices, at least in my proffession

Yep, email is 'official' and chat is adhoc. If you want to ask a quick question or give a quick response, or discuss with 5 people about an issue, chat is great. Doing that in email is no where near as efficient.

JackNaylorPE

Feb 15, 2005
Visit site
You can unlock a GSM Treo and use it with any GSM SIM card. The iPhone is totally locked to AT&T with absolutely no other choice.

1. Sprint is not GSM. Nor is Verizon. Both had their exclusive periods with the Treos.

2. My 650 was locked to AT &T when I bought it, the unlocked version was $300 more.

3. You could use an internet service to unlock ya Treo but the legal ambiguities are such that I wouldn't pursue them.

4. I did unlock my Treo from AT&T after I owned it 3 months. We don't know as yet whether this functionality will be provided with the iPhone however the ease at which the SIM card is removable certainly suggests that they didn't add that extra mechanical device for no reason whatsoever.

5. Apple will be releasing the iPhone on other carriers.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
they will be in position to do what Palm and MS haven't done......provide a stable, uncomplicated, intuitive UI based unit with no "kludge" like experiences.

Your faith in Apple is endearing, but not supported by the facts. Have you seen the 23 step ring tone kludge, or the e-mail to MMS gateway kludge, or the bookmarklet "open link in new tab kludge" or the delete e-mail account to delete all mail kludge etc etc.

Not to mention that the iPhone's development environment (MobileSafari) seems far from stable.

But keep the faith Jack, keep the faith.

Surur

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Eh... what happened to the user posts on the iphone sucking? All I have is theoretical stuff *shakes vHead at 20 pages on the definiton of a smartphone and tomes of courtroom jargon by online monkiers*

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I also like chat more than phone calls because you have a log of the conversation, you can forward it, refer to it later, use it for evidence if necessary. "This freak-of-nature told me to do it! Look, read the chat log!"

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
True to form, a non repsonsive response. Answer the question. I went through all the trouble to make it easy by putting it in bold and all.

Do you disbelieve me then? You dont think the people who bought the deficient iPhone did so because they think Apple will fix the problems later? You need to go read a few mac forums.

Surur

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
1. Sprint is not GSM. Nor is Verizon. Both had their exclusive periods with the Treos.

2. My 650 was locked to AT &T when I bought it, the unlocked version was $300 more.

3. You could use an internet service to unlock ya Treo but the legal ambiguities are such that I wouldn't pursue them.

4. I did unlock my Treo from AT&T after I owned it 3 months. We don't know as yet whether this functionality will be provided with the iPhone however the ease at which the SIM card is removable certainly suggests that they didn't add that extra mechanical device for no reason whatsoever.

5. Apple will be releasing the iPhone on other carriers.

You still can unlock a GSM Treo, and Apple has a 5-year exclusivity deal with AT&T in the states. You can swap out the SIM to put it in another phone (maybe), sell the iPhone, or put it in another iPhone. But you can't put a prepaid GSM in it when you go overseas, for example, so you would have to use AT&T's roaming charges.

For CDMA, that is a limitation of that technology that you can't swap out something like a GSM card, not a design by the OEM. Palm did make Treos available to the different carriers so if you do want a Treo you still have a choice of carriers, not so with the iPhone.

BTW, you can have your carrier unlock your phone, just tell them you are going over seas. If they are cool they will do it for free, if not you might pay a fee. The phone will work whatever way you unlock it though.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Eh... what happened to the user posts on the iphone sucking? All I have is theoretical stuff *shakes vHead at 20 pages on the definiton of a smartphone and tomes of courtroom jargon by online monkiers*

Here's one.

mswlogo 07-19-2007 03:40 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fling with iPhone is over

FYI: I posted this on the Apple forums and they deleted it.

I really do wish it wasn't on AT&T. I live in eastern MA for the record. I loved the device even with issues, but I couldn't get past AT&T.

===================================================

I didn't mind living without features I had on the sprint mogul (ppc 6800). I thought it was a good trade for what the iPhone added.

My coverage driving to work around home was worse than sprint. My wife was way worse at work. It would work near a Window but not at her desk without it being garbled. The sprint phone would work in her pocketbook INSIDE an all steel desk.

The plans were so much cheaper for sprint too. With no special discounts from either. Sprint was 30% cheaper. It was cheaper than the plan I had prior with sprint.

AT&T Family plan of 2 phones 550 minutes, data, nights start at 7 is $97.00
Sprint Family plan of 2 phones 550 minutes, data, nights start at 7 is $70.00

Right now it's $75.00 but sprint said I could still get the $10.00 data plan which brings it down to $70.00. I could also get insurance for $7.00 a month. But I got the new Sprint phone so cheap I may pass on it now.

I noticed if I got 4 bars or less on the iPhone the conversation was often garbled. 4 Bars according to "Field Test" is a poor signal level. I think AT&T really rigs there meters to give you a false impression of good signal.

I was also told by a friend that another third party found AT&T to be the worst for dropped calls. And the thridparty that supplied the data that AT&T quotes as "fewest dropped calls" has requested AT&T stop misrepresenting the data.

AT&T was pretty nasty when I said I was returning the iPhone. They didn't know I swapped the phone and extended the return date by doing so (thank god I did it took a good while for the coolness to pass and reliability to focus in on). I told them that but they still ensisted I could not return it. I did and I didn't even pay restocking fee. Two AT&T reps blurted this out with out my really asking.

One other nasty is. When I returned my wifes Razor I didn't want to cancel the line until I got the # ported back. So he said sure keep the SIM card. But when I returned the iPhone Apple refused. So they still have my Activated SIM card which is wrong. That card is ME (my line) which is not canceled yet.

This SIM thing makes me very uncomforable too. I think because Apple is getting a cut there are no discounts at all. And to keep things locked they are violating the normal protocal with SIM cards. They have defeated the advantage SIM cards have.

I also found new Sprint Moguls on Ebay for $99.00 with contract and new line. I had previously paid $400.00. Since I have to create a new line I qualify. I won't mind paying full price for the next phone that replaces Mogul. iPhone should hopefully really push the competition.

One other thing that drove me insane on iPhone is. It's supposed to be the best "iPod" (an audio device) yet it's very impolite to audio devices around it because of GSM. I also thought iPhones (modern iPods) had optical output (minitoslink) but they don't (even though some web sites advertise a minitoslink cable for iPods). No iPods or iPhones have optical output.

I thought Apple might add voice command. But there is no button on the phone for it. So I was concerned Voice Command would never come around on this version of iPhone.

This was insane. More money, no insurance, maybe never get Voice command, poor Voice reliability on GSM (for me and my wife) and made computers, TV's and car radios go nuts. Not all the time but it shouldn't at all. This is nuts, I gotta shut the phone off for noise free operation on my Meridian very expensive audio system.

I don't mind the EDGE speed at all. But it bugged me calls went to Voice mail while I was using it.

I've also been reading 3G is a battery pig. I was planning to stick with AT&T and iPhone. But current 3G devices have serious battery issues. My wifes AT&T V3xx Razor was horrible on battery. It's my understanding it's because it has the 3G. And she doesn't do data. Not even a text message. It wouldn't last a day.

Also while in the store returning my wifes razor. A lady was buying a 2G Razor (V3). She had 5 bars. I had 5 bars. But she could not make a call to activate it. I couldn't make a call either. The sales guy said all the 2G phones run like crap since the 3G tower went in. WTF is that all about. It may be the reason I'm having issues. Maybe I'm driving by 3G towers.

Another issue was with AT&T. I tried to resolve it. All phones drop calls now and then even my Sprint phone. But I was getting some dropped, some garbled, some one way. But I had dropped calls. Everytime I called AT&T their computer said I had no dropped calls.

None of the issues above could get fixed with a software update.

I'll be watching for a CDMA or V2 or V3 of iPhone. Apple (the engineers did a great job). The Marketing guys that cut the deal with AT&T didn't.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=33174

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Here's a good one - the iPhone only stores a certain number of text messages, and when your inbox gets full you can not receive any more. So simple and efficient, so Apple.

ianbeerent 07-16-2007 12:02 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SMS Inbox Full

For a device that has 8 gb of internal storage space, I thought it wouldn't have any problems storing my text messages (like my f****** razr did)

... sadly enough, I am getting a warning message that says "sms inbox almost full, delete old messages"

whyyy?!?!??

is there any way to get around this? how many can it store?? i haven't seen anything about this in the other forums / or in the manual.... ugh. This sucks.

epochblue 07-16-2007 12:19 PM

Not being a big text-messenger myself, is it possible this limit is on the network and not your phone? If so, just delete some of the message - the iPhone has a 'Clear' button in the upper right-hand corner of the messages screen that makes getting rid of many at a time REALLY simple.

ianbeerent 07-16-2007 12:21 PM

yeah i know deleting them is easy... i just don't want to.

i'm pretty sure the network doesn't save the messages? it's just your phone's ability to store them...

Tumeg101 07-16-2007 12:24 PM

why don't you want to delete the messages?? Are you going to use them as reference sometime in the future?? lol, just delete them

epochblue 07-16-2007 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tumeg101 (Post 3925490)
why don't you want to delete the messages?? Are you going to use them as reference sometime in the future?? lol, just delete them

Agreed. ;)

mrtune 07-16-2007 12:25 PM

Interesting. I text message alot too, but always clear out conversations after about a week. Looking like Apple put a cap on the number of available stored text messages, or more likely a cap on the file size?

I'm gonna stop clearing them out and see how long it takes to fill...

EricNau 07-16-2007 12:35 PM

Granted, I'm not a big texter, but I've never deleted a text message on my RAZR ...I think there are about 650 total on there right now.

I never delete my emails either.

It's come in handy more than once before! :)

elg23 07-16-2007 12:37 PM

i had a suspicion of this myself... i think apple put a cap on sms storage space, along with many other things.. i think they did this simply for the ipod function of the phone... this way, they can say that there is 7.24gb of storage in itunes, and that will never change, because everything that you do on the phone is set on how much it can hold... so that 7.24gb number will never change, and if you fill it up to 7.24gb of music, the phone can still recieve sms, email, etc because they have their own storage space that you cant touch.. not sure how you could get around this...

i remember reading an article that said something about how ridiculous the iphone is because it has a 700mb operating system.. that isnt true, that is just how much space is left for things other than music, photos, and video... the rest is saved for the os, sms, contacts, email, etc... seems like sms is one of the things that didnt get enough storage space...

ianbeerent 07-16-2007 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elg23 (Post 3925555)
i had a suspicion of this myself... i think apple put a cap on sms storage space, along with many other things.. i think they did this simply for the ipod function of the phone... this way, they can say that there is 7.24gb of storage in itunes, and that will never change, because everything that you do on the phone is set on how much it can hold... so that 7.24gb number will never change, and if you fill it up to 7.24gb of music, the phone can still recieve sms, email, etc because they have their own storage space that you cant touch.. not sure how you could get around this...

i remember reading an article that said something about how ridiculous the iphone is because it has a 700mb operating system.. that isnt true, that is just how much space is availible for the ipod on the phone, the rest is saved for the os, sms, contacts, email, etc

ughhh!!! this is so frustrating. So what if i sync it to my iTunes... will it save all my old texts? (even the ones i have to delete off of my phone?)

this is on topic, but a little bit different... is there any way to delete individual texts in a thread? because i could delete some of the old texts my gf texted... but i don't want to lose the stuff she sent yesterday, you know what i mean?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tumeg101 (Post 3925490)

i just want to keep them for reference, it comes in handy more than you would think. (like, classic drunk-texted messages... i never want to delete those. c'mon.)

epochblue 07-16-2007 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianbeerent (Post 3925579)
this is on topic, but a little bit different... is there any way to delete individual texts in a thread? because i could delete some of the old texts my gf texted... but i don't want to lose the stuff she sent yesterday, you know what i mean?--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AFAIK, there isn't.... :(

sonictonic 07-16-2007 10:30 PM

You should let Apple know what ya think:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html#mn_p

sunday888 07-16-2007 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricNau (Post 3925538)
Granted, I'm not a big texter, but I've never deleted a text message on my RAZR ...I think there are about 650 total on there right now.

Are you serious?!? My Moto PEBL could hold maybe 30 SMS messages before it got full. 650? Wow!!

ruutiveijari 07-17-2007 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunday888 (Post 3927405)
Are you serious?!? My Moto PEBL could hold maybe 30 SMS messages before it got full. 650? Wow!!

Even my 50 euro Nokia can hold over 200 SMS messages.

Karpfish 07-17-2007 02:23 AM

one thing I love about my BB Curve is that the limit is, well, non-existent. I had well over 2,000 txts on my phone until yesterday. I also keep all my old emails on it, they do come in handy. I got an email from a newspaper editor(I'm a photographer) a while ago and I needed to email him about something, so I just searched my inbox and got the email.

spyz 07-17-2007 10:20 AM

I mean is there really a reason to keep all those text messages? I mean you paid for them so Im sure you want to keep them but cmon how many you need.

ianbeerent 07-17-2007 01:50 PM

so apparently, it filled up yesterday. But, all it said was "inbox almost full, please delete messages". It never actually told me it was full. Also, it let me send messages, but I couldn't get any back.

Wow. Wow. I really love my iPhone, but the texting just sucks

tamakin 07-17-2007 03:11 PM

you're crazy..i love the texting on this device

badtz 07-18-2007 05:21 PM

This really bites! Does anyone know the total number of SMS the phone can hold?

ianbeerent 07-19-2007 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badtz (Post 3935199)
This really bites! Does anyone know the total number of SMS the phone can hold?

it's such BS that apple doesn't say a number....
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=330380

Ah... why would Apple want to confuse people with numbers. I mean, we dont even know the mAh rating of the battery...

Surur

Status
Not open for further replies.