10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
But this guy seems to be of the same mind frame as many here.

Are you guys really so filled with hate and loathing of a phone like this guy is to have spent hours developing a site like this.

WOW!

Everyone likes to throw out the phrase "Fan Boy" for an iPHONE fanatic.

For you guys here like Mikec, CountChocula, Tirik and Surur how about "Militant-Loathers" for you iPHONE haters.

When have I said I hate the iPhone? Evidence please...don't spout out my opinions without some backup.

On the contrary, I have said a lot of good about it.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
What is speculation ? Not sure which part you are addressing.

1. That Apple announced that they will provide support for Web 2.0 3rd party apps

[http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu6PRT...ww.apple.com/pr/library/2007/06/11iphone.html
[/B]

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/11/apple-announces-3rd-parties-can-write-web-2-0-apps-for-iphone

2. That many of our beloved Treo apps can be replaced by web pages....examples previously given.

There is no "web 2.0 standard". It's a blanket term that covers a collection of protocols.

JackNaylorPE

Feb 15, 2005
Visit site
Not all apps can be replaced by web pages. It's just not the same thing. Primarily the calendar is a big disappointment on the iPhone (to me) and I would want/need a local app for that. What if you have no net connection? Also if you have to download the web apps via EDGE you aren't always going to have the best experience. Not to mention games would be more robust if they were native (yeah, so what, I like games).

No one said all apps.....just most things people use. I gave the example by taking the most popular apps in the "6 most essential treo apps" thread. Though I have many useful apps, I can safely so I often go a month w/o using most of them.

I also have no problem with EDGE and don't see how it's an advantage where their is no infrastructure for anything else....and that's the case over 95% of the US. I'm in the nations 22nd largest major metro area....no 3G here. Closest spot is about 12 miles away and it's a tiny one....and it's not my carrier.

It's not a device that will fill everyone's needs....heck it doesn't fill my own. But I don't feel the need to trash it because it I made a different choice. To many people, with their set of needs, nothing else comes close. ....and given that set of needs, I have to agree with them. The internet experience is simply amazing for handheld tho I credit Safari more than the hardware.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
It is also a testament to the fact that many 3rd party apps cause serious stability issues with the PALM OS.

Through out my years of using Palm OS based devices I found many apps to cause serious user stability issues.

With my last Treo I had to stick with just Snapper Mail, which caused some issues but was such a great mail app I lived with it, and KINOMA.

The more you add the more problems you have and less productive the phone is.

Now th iPHONE has gone to far the other way in my opinion so there needs to be a balance somewhere between the two.

If not the iPHONE will soon lose out to other developers.

"Through out my years of using Palm OS based devices I found many apps to cause serious user stability issues."

I agree with this statement so much I could hug you (sorry for the visual). Palm OS and apps are as unstable as a 3 year old after 10 pixies sitx.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Dude, he's not even in the game. The iPhone is a model. You wanna argue how good your phone model of choice is doing, you list sales for the particular model, not the model line.

Does one argue against Treo sales by listing all devices sold by blackberry including the ones that don't even have phones ? Why not Nokia.

Does one argue that the Toyota Camry wasn't the best selling car in America by arguing how many cars GM sold ?

Does one argue about Wii success in the marketplace by listing all sales of PS1, PS2 and PS3 combined ?

If you wanna argue about who hit the most home runs, you don't compare A-Rod with the Cincinnatti Reds. We have one guy prancing about feeling all good about himself, with you right in step saying A-Rod's 32 home runs sucks because the Reds hit 132 home runs. Yeah Dunn has 25 and Griffey ahs 24 but the only number that counts is the guy who hit 32. You don't get to add Dunn, Griffey and all of their teammates together when asked who is the MLB HR Leader.

Jack,

You both are spinning accordingly and presenting your side.

(I am not arguing the iPhone sold more than any other phone during the release weekend; again, there has never been an event like that).

I think the issue is comparing a weekend to an annual basis.

Let's see how many "Treos", Blackberries" and "HTC"s sell in 2007 and 2008, and how many "iPhone", and then compare.

I'm not saying Apple won't be huge - I'm just saying you have to be on the same page. (arguing different models and stuff is a red herring).

JackNaylorPE

Feb 15, 2005
Visit site
It is also a testament to the fact that many 3rd party apps cause serious stability issues with the PALM OS.

Through out my years of using Palm OS based devices I found many apps to cause serious user stability issues.

With my last Treo I had to stick with just Snapper Mail, which caused some issues but was such a great mail app I lived with it, and KINOMA.

The more you add the more problems you have and less productive the phone is.

Now th iPHONE has gone to far the other way in my opinion so there needs to be a balance somewhere between the two.

If not the iPHONE will soon lose out to other developers.

Apple went for what it perceived as the "highest impact" market. A new device needs to make a splash and they have far exceeded their wildest expectations.

I think next they gotta go for the mass market, the peeps who won't shell out $600. Same strategy that Palm used with the Lowrider.....less stuff, less features, lower price. The aim here is to post huge sales numbers.

Next I think they will go for a higher end device. This will coem last for the very reasons you mention. To be a success it's gotta blow away the glitz of WM and exced the simplicity of Palm OS while still maintaining the stability Apple is known for. This is a tall order.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Subject is not one company's total business versus another. It's the sales of one particular model versus that of any other particular model. To determine who has the most popular phone, one needs to look at model sales not sales of an entire line. Otherwise we'd be talking about RIM instead of Palm.

Off the top of my head, there are currently 6 Treo models actively being sold. I came up with the number by giving Palm the benefit of the doubt and dividing 3 million Treos by 6 (I guessed 575k per quarter x 4 and rounded way up) . No, not at all scientific and prolly subject to variation by market choices but it's all we got with the data at hand.

I also find it ironic regarding the complaints of Apple not releasing sales figures.....I don't see Palm doing it either outside their quarterly fiscal reports but they still don't do model by model breakdowns.

Jack,

This is a specious argument. Treos are Treos, and so are Blackberries.

Take the total number sold, and that gives you a picture.

This is not like comparing the Toyota Camry to all the cars sold be GM.

(the car analogy does not work).

iPhones are iPhones, Treos are Treos, and BB are BB - for general market measurement, it works jsut fine. Dividing up among models is not important at the macro level.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
e70_web8.gif

:D

Surur

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Point being ? If the device support 3rd party programs based upon "a blanket term that covers a collection of protocols, then it supports 3rd party programs.

Point being a.) Apple RDF, and b.)they are NOT 3rd party apps, as defined by how apps are used on smartphones (ex. user installed able client apps)

Now if we are changing the defn of 3rd party app, then that's a different dicussion.

local application =! web service.

And as for the most commonly used apps:

-Email
-Chat
-PIM

Those many people need day in and day out.

I think the iPhone will eventually have and SDK and stuff, but it will just take some time.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Jack, maybe you could do with more precision in your statements. Saying the market for Treo's are only 500 000 without saying which model, on which carrier, and then complaining about your statements being misinterpreted is just whining. I dont read mind. Write down what you mean, dont keep us guessing.

Surur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods