10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeze22

Sep 18, 2006
Visit site
You know Microsoft-watch is actually like enron-watch? You know, not exactly friendly?

I have refrained in the main from posting blog articles, as I dont see them as real users, but rather people trying to grandstand. I have a few however that may tickle your fancy. Just ask.

Surur

I have actually warmed up to many of the criticisms of the device, and do believe that many users refuse to admit to them.

I am keeping it and love the aspects of the iphone work well. I hope I am not foolish in waiting for a very serious and comprehensive upgrade. It will be to ebay at a loss (and on to a Blackberry or Nokia) if the next upgrade doesnt include a file system, streaming internet, customizable email and a more versatile calendar app (as in, detailed week view at very least). Automatic OTA syncing of calendars/contacts/email/bookmarks to .mac will be a very well-loved bonus.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
That's just speculation. The Palm commercial software is a testament that there is a market for mobile applications. And seeing that the iPhone charts new ground with UI there are lots of compelling uses for 3rd party apps. Especially considering the iPhone didn't ship with an astoundingly large number of native apps.

God knows I have paid for my share of third party apps. I was surprised at how many of them I could replace from the web, once freed from Blazer.

I do not intend to retire my Treo 650 just because I have an iPhone but the only application that I can do on my Treo that I cannot do on my iPhone is ebooks. Since I no longer buy paper books and read only on my Treo, that is a very important application.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
The need for mobile, internet enabled apps on Palm OS is driven by the fact that Blazer sucks. My most used apps on my 650 were single purpose apps like DA, flightstatus, etc. I don't need apps like that because i have a real browser now. Not only that, but Safari on my iPhone loads full webpages faster than blazer could load the mobile version of the same page.
I concur and confirm. Which reminds me, I need to find and bookmark the web page to subsitute for the Metro NYC subway navigator.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
God knows I have paid for my share of third party apps. I was surprised at how many of them I could replace from the web, once freed from Blazer.

I do not intend to retire my Treo 650 just because I have an iPhone but the only application that I can do on my Treo that I cannot do on my iPhone is ebooks. Since I no longer buy paper books and read only on my Treo, that is a very important application.
I'd need at least an upgrade to the calendar app, and the very fact you would keep that tiny Treo screen to read ebooks is absurd when you have that big, beautiful iPhone screen that should be able to display ebooks wonderfully but doesn't. If the apps that were included were comprehensive and complete (and far more numerous) I'd have less concerns, but I'd still want the ability to shop around for applications that work the way I want them to, with the features I want. And there is no good reason why this can't be done on an iPhone.

Besides that, how will you use your web apps on a plane? I guess you won't.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
While no one is saying the Web 2.0 programs will have the breadth and depth of what we have on the Treo, lets remember that the market for Treos is only 500,000 a year. Four outta five peeps using phones in my family won't take a Treo or anything like it for free simply because it's "way more than they need or want". There's just not that many programs that a regular joe / jane would want or need that can't be replaced by Web 2.0

Its funny that you are so obsessed with the significance of iPhone sales, when you dont even know how Treo's are selling.

FYI in the last 12 months around 2.5 million Treo's were sold to consumers. A bit more than 500 000. I guess 5 times more people than you thought thinks the Treo comes close to what they want, and some of those probably want it to do even more.

Surur

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Its funny that you are so obsessed with the significance of iPhone sales, when you dont even know how Treo's are selling.

FYI in the last 12 months around 2.5 million Treo's were sold to consumers. A bit more than 500 000. I guess 5 times more people than you thought thinks the Treo comes close to what they want, and some of those probably want it to do even more.

Surur

Jack, you've been pwned.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Do people just make up numbers? It surely is impressive that the iPhone did 1/5 of Palm's whole business in one weekend, why the need to exaggerate past that? It will be interesting to see how long it takes Apple to sell 2.5 million iPhones.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
I don't think it's fair to compare 12 months of Treo sales with 5 days of iPhone sales.
Apple's forecast is $7 Billion in revenue from iPhone sales in 2007. And $15 Billion in 2008.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I don't think it's fair to compare 12 months of Treo sales with 5 days of iPhone sales.
Apple's forecast is $7 Billion in revenue from iPhone sales in 2007. And $15 Billion in 2008.

Who is comparing them in a way that is unfair? I don't get what you thing was wrong. No one was directly comparing iPhone sales and Treo sales in total based on two different time frames. I was just saying that Apple had such a huge launch and it will be interesting to see how that pans out for a yearly total. Some movies for instance have great launches and great runs, while others have great launches and then die. Which will it be? I'm sure it won't die but will it reach Apple's projections with such a hefty price and lots of limitations? Launches are exciting, 6 months after launch is less so. iPhone 2.0 launch won't be as huge as 1.0

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site

Where are you pulling these number from?

$7B in iPhones sales in 2007?...that's about 11M iPhones.

I can pretty much guaran-effing-tee you that is not going to happen this year.

And about 25M iPhones sold in 2008? Hmm...

Now if they are including the cut of service fees from AT&T, Vodafone/T-Mobile, etc., maybe that juices it a bit...but those number seem awful high.

Even the speculators are saying less:

http://ce.seekingalpha.com/article/40856

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Who is comparing them in a way that is unfair? I don't get what you thing was wrong. No one was directly comparing iPhone sales and Treo sales in total based on two different time frames. I was just saying that Apple had such a huge launch and it will be interesting to see how that pans out for a yearly total. Some movies for instance have great launches and great runs, while others have great launches and then die. Which will it be? I'm sure it won't die but will it reach Apple's projections with such a hefty price and lots of limitations? Launches are exciting, 6 months after launch is less so. iPhone 2.0 launch won't be as huge as 1.0

Duuuuudee! You need faith in jPhone 2.0! It will be the gPhone, as god is even greater than Jesus.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site

Its a comparison Jack made, who claimed the iPhone sold more in a weekend than any other device on the planet in a year.

The iPhone has outsold any other device on the planet in a weekend.

Thats the effect of the RDF in action.

Surur

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Its a comparison Jack made, who claimed the iPhone sold more in a weekend than any other device on the planet in a year.

Thats the effect of the RDF in action.

Surur

If you say it, they will believe....

These aren't the droids you're looking for...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen