10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
AT&T seems to be phasing out insurance on TREOs too.

I bought my first cell phone twenty years ago. It was the size and weight of a brick; its battery weighed more that a modern digital cell phone. It cost $1500- down from $3000- only a year earlier.

Cell phones are now consumables; we use them up. I have at least a dozen old ones; I can touch four from where I sit. I hope to be able to replace both my Treo 650 and my iPhone in less than a year. We do not insure consumables. Hell, I do not buy optional warranties, much less insurance. [I admit that I sometimes use my American Express card because it covers loss or damage for 90 days.]

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I thought the iPhone was supposed to have NONE?

As Benjamin Franklin used to say about iPhone owners: "Those who give up third party apps for stability deserve neither third party apps nor stability." :D :D :D

Surur

Seriously, I want the freedom to do what I want with my device. This is my one issue with the iPhone. Give me Liberty or give me a Treo! This really does fit into the net neutrality issue and Apple and ATT controlling what you can do with your device beyond it's own technical limitations is not the direction I want to see mobile computing head.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Oh my - looks like somebody's inferiority complex just got stepped on. Talk about reading something into an email. You think adults can't have toys? You think adults who work hard can't play? Why would you equate "toy" with "children?" Do you really have such an overwhelming lack of confidence? Have we discovered the root to your seemingly contrary nature around here? ;)
Hear, hear! If I am not a serious adult I have only months to years to become one. One of the things that I am serious about is toys.

JackNaylorPE

Feb 15, 2005
Visit site
Doesn't quite trickle of the tongue as nicely, does it?

Sales figures are published by year. Read RIM's finacial reports, read Plam's, read anyones. I have previously said the same thing while being more explicit several time shere.....didn't think it was necessary to include "the fine print" saying the same thing in every single post. It's the kind of thing that "goes without saying" unless you are trying to divert attention from a failed point. Go back and read, I didn't use the word "ever". I am going by industry standards and convention in which sales figures are quoted yearly.

The original x-box sold 3.5 million in its first year, the Wii sold 3 million in only 6 months, as did the PS2 and the XBox 360. The Sikekick sold 1.1 million in 2006. You know even the Zune also sold a million in one year.

Wasn't aware this was a gaming console forum. Sarcasm won't account for your failure to produce source showing a single device covered under the rules of the forum for discussion in this section that has sold 1 million units.

I found this saying T-Mobile sold 172k in 3rd quarter

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu85Sq...otal+sales+2006&d=epikcurnPEGF&icp=1&.intl=us

But for the sake of argument, lets say 1) you can produce a source. and 2) over a million iPhones doesn't exceed the 1.1 million figure...

The statement gets revised to:

"The IPhone has sold as many units over a weekend than the biggest selling device* ever did in 10.9 months" .... yeah like that puts the two in the same category.

* concentrate now, we are in "other handhelds" section remember... discussion of gaming consoles, timex watches, blenders, Tamagotchi and toys ya get with McDonalds Happy Meals not relevant.

Its not an impressive number.

Not impressive despite essentially matching in a weekend your claimed smarphone sales champion sidekick sales for a year ?

And tell that to AT&T stockholder drooling over a new 570 million dollar revenue stream. Tell that to the competing carriers whose customers paid the $167 average price to get out of existing contracts.

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
whmurray see other posts

Hear, hear! If I am not a serious adult I have only months to years to become one. One of the things that I am serious about is toys.

The word toy has been used to describe the iPHONE and those who use it in a demeaning way.

Many here have equated the purchase of the iPHONE to the purchase of a "Tickel Me Elmo" and those who bought the iPHONE as children who took it in the A** and are simple morons for making such an absurd purchase.

From your post you seem to have the means to buy several rather expensive smartphones as well as the iPHONE.

By many on this forum your purchase of the iPHONE marks you as a less then intelligent consumer and person.

The opinions of those who say this doesn't really offend me but to see it time after time and gets in the way of the reason for this thread and is tiresome.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Sales figures are published by year. Read RIM's finacial reports, read Plam's, read anyones. I have previously said the same thing while being more explicit several time shere.....didn't think it was necessary to include "the fine print" saying the same thing in every single post. It's the kind of thing that "goes without saying" unless you are trying to divert attention from a failed point. Go back and read, I didn't use the word "ever". I am going by industry standards and convention in which sales figures are quoted yearly.

Wasn't aware this was a gaming console forum. Sarcasm won't account for your failure to produce source showing a single device covered under the rules of the forum for discussion in this section that has sold 1 million units.

I found this saying T-Mobile sold 172k in 3rd quarter

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu85Sq...otal+sales+2006&d=epikcurnPEGF&icp=1&.intl=us

But for the sake of argument, lets say 1) you can produce a source. and 2) over a million iPhones doesn't exceed the 1.1 million figure...

The statement gets revised to:

"The IPhone has sold as many units over a weekend than the biggest selling device* ever did in 10.9 months" .... yeah like that puts the two in the same category.

* concentrate now, we are in "other handhelds" section remember... discussion of gaming consoles, timex watches, blenders, Tamagotchi and toys ya get with McDonalds Happy Meals not relevant.

Not impressive despite essentially matching in a weekend your claimed smarphone sales champion sidekick sales for a year ?

And tell that to AT&T stockholder drooling over a new 570 million dollar revenue stream. Tell that to the competing carriers whose customers paid the $167 average price to get out of existing contracts.

I'm not the one who included multimedia device. How about sticking to your own definitions.

Surur

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
All I can say is see:

http://www.systemshootouts.org/shootouts/desktop/2006/0809_dt3200.html

http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/features/macproprice/index.php

http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33576

The machines aren?t identical each has a few advantages but I think they?re fairly comparable in terms of the needs of a power user.

Come on guys this is the oldest Mac vs. Windows argument ever. How it ties into the iPHONE I am not sure except a lot of the people here hate anything Apple.

Like you said, they're not identical. In fact, each one of those articles compares computers that aren't even close. Funny how each one puts an Apple with a geforce 7300 (entry level - integrated consumer chipset) graphics card against a Dell with a Quadro graphics card, meant for professional 3d rendering (not gaming). So the only way to even out the price war is by loading way more expensive components on the PC side. Gee that's responsible reporting right there.

Show me a Mac that I can buy for less $$$ than an honest-to-goodness exact duplicate in components on the PC side, then you'll have a convincing argument.

tirk

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
The opinions of those who say this doesn't really offend me but to see it time after time and gets in the way of the reason for this thread and is tiresome.

Surely the reason for this thread was to point out what "sucks" about the iPhone?

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

JackNaylorPE

Feb 15, 2005
Visit site
Jack, Can you point to a source for the "million" activations? The onyl place I saw this was a blog with no backup.

AT&T may have posted it, but I have not seen it.

My son heard it first flipping the channels on the TV cable box on one of those geek technology shows and told me about it.

looking at Yahoo now, this is the 1st hit I got

http://www.waitingforiphone.com/2007/07/05/att-activates-over-1-million-iphones/

"This news comes from a full-time staffer in ATT Mobilty?s Commerce Group who chose to remain anonymous.

It's tough to get any "solid documented" info like from peeps willing to go on record since publishing such might not be in company's best interests....like WM versus palm OS Treo shipments....Palm refuses to answer. For example it's indicated on the same site that Apple's agreement with Euro carriers requires them to ship in Europe once they reach 1 million sales here. That may be a bit more than apple can handle and may wish to dance a few days before initiating that step.

However, one can usually judge the validity of "unnamed sources" by the outcry of counter claims. To me the lack of anyone jumping up to say "No, it's not true leads me to believe that most believe it is. I wouldn't bet the ranch on it, especially with the anti apple fervor, but the lack of pundits willing to go on record as saying it's not true apparently has them convinced also.

I note that Apple store still says 2-4 weeks and the 4 stores here all have no stock and huge waiting lists that are not really waitings list as "no reserving".

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
This news comes from a full-time staffer in ATT Mobilty’s Commerce Group who chose to remain anonymous:

Apple will stop selling the iPhone and start selling the iShoe after Steve Jobs saw a rerun of Get Smart. "You really can't go wrong with a shoe phone, and it will be an industry first. But you have to take your socks off to get Multitouch to function."

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
You hit it Tirk

Surely the reason for this thread was to point out what "sucks" about the iPhone?

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

No to slam people who buy them.

Lets talk about the iPHONE and its faults thats what I come here for.

But many others like Mikec and CountChocula like to slam the people who own them and seem to have little to say on the phone itself.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
No to slam people who buy them.

Lets talk about the iPHONE and its faults thats what I come here for.

But many others like Mikec and CountChocula like to slam the people who own them and seem to have little to say on the phone itself.

I think they slam apologists who act like the iPhone is the be-all, end-all of mobile devices. mikec and even surus have made compliments about the iPhone, it is it's limitations that they criticize. You are taking way more offense than I believe was intended by that 'toy' comment BTW.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
I find it ironic that one of the appealing things about the iPhone is that it does what it does well out of the box. No tweaking, hacking, or configuring is really needed like PalmOS and WM devices.
What's ironic is that the hacker community is working hard on kludging and hacking functionality in to the iPhone to make it do what PDAs do. Like a file system, custom ring tones, you name it.
In the end, if you want all of that stuff, you'll most likely end up hacking the iPhone way more than ever would a WM or PalmOS PDA.

Slingbox

Oct 27, 2006
Visit site
hmm the tPhone uses WM and has more features so it seems in the video but hey......apple may be watching the video and learning something.The tPhone will give apple a run for the money when it hits the states lol lol..
Load up the t-mobile sim and enjoy

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
hmm the tPhone uses WM and has more features so it seems in the video but hey......apple may be watching the video and learning something.The tPhone will give apple a run for the money when it hits the states lol lol..
Load up the t-mobile sim and enjoy

Will it really hit the 'states? I thought it would be for the Asian market which also has things like counterfeit Jeep Cherokees etc. Apple surely would file a lawsuit.

Slingbox

Oct 27, 2006
Visit site
It will be sold with online vending .They will be floating all over the States.T-mobile does not ask what you put that sim card in so apple will have no case.

Slingbox

Oct 27, 2006
Visit site
I find it ironic that one of the appealing things about the iPhone is that it does what it does well out of the box. No tweaking, hacking, or configuring is really needed like PalmOS and WM devices.
What's ironic is that the hacker community is working hard on kludging and hacking functionality in to the iPhone to make it do what PDAs do. Like a file system, custom ring tones, you name it.
In the end, if you want all of that stuff, you'll most likely end up hacking the iPhone way more than ever would a WM or PalmOS PDA.
If hackers could stick WM5 or 6 in that puppy building into the user interface hmmm I would pick one up...Im not to crazy about the battery deal .Maybe thats why apple locked that battery up so if you did swap out with hack OS they nail you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR