10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
Overall I've been amused by this thread, but this is just plane wrong

Now that Apple uses Intel chips this is an easy comparison.

MacBook Pro - Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2gig ram, 120gig 5400 hd, iNvidia 8600 128mb VRam, $1999

Dell - Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2gig ram, 160gig 5400 hd, InVidia 8600 256mb VRam, $1375

So lets see, $600 dollars more for a Macbook Pro, weaker video card, smaller harddrive, crappy 90 day warranty vs 1-year for the Dell, and that's with a display and battery upgrade to match the MacBook.

And this is for the pricy Dell (compared to HP and others).

The "Apple tax" is even more obvious with desktops.

Edit: Sorry, about 25 pages behind, still catching up. Just broke rule #1, read entire thread before posting.

Don't worry, llarson's already been thoroughly discredited around here. We all know he doesn't actually read other people's posts, he just skimms things and then writes emotional responses.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Yep oalvarez i think you misinterpreted tirk - he meant that you should expect treo users in a treo forum not to be overtly positive about the iPhone, not that you can't talk about it because this is a treo forum ....

Bruckwine, whatever you want to interpret and believe is fine with me. Tirk et.al. give it a good attempt. Soon enough it will be the handful of you discussing nothing.

Good evening.

dgoodisi

Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
As said before at least theoretically they can send updates..as malesta stated it's probably what has always held back smaller companies like Palm - the need to have it OK'd by the carriers...maybe, just maybe that will all cahnge now.

A key feature of Windows Mobile 6 is automatic updates. Does this now mean that Microsoft pioneered this feature, or can Apple still claim credit even though the iPhone was released after the first Windows Mobile 6 device?

http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/faqs/6/professional/winupdate.htm

JackNaylorPE

Feb 15, 2005
Visit site
Its obvious to oalvarez if the iPhone does not have it its an unimportant feature, but if iPhone does have it, its great.

Seems the reverse is just as true true from the other side.....if the iPhone doesn't have it, it's critical. If the iPhone does it better it's not significant.....pots and kettles.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Bruckwine, whatever you want to interpret and believe is fine with me. Tirk et.al. give it a good attempt. Soon enough it will be the handful of you discussing nothing.

Good evening.

Well oalvarez that is your choice - I was just pointing out that he never said you can't have the kind of posts you want here - just he didn't think you should expect a majority to agree with you. I just thought it didn't make sense to argue over a miscommunication!

JackNaylorPE

Feb 15, 2005
Visit site
I agree it's not really a smartphone. But Steve Jobs thinks it is

Why do so many people have an obsession with labels ? It is what it is. Who's definition of smart phone are we using. Are we to have 23 different labels for each possible combination of features ?

Here's the first definition I hit on a yahoo search.

"A generic name for voice centric mobile phones with information capability. The Ericsson R380 Smartphone is an example of such a Symbian OS phone."
www.polyphonic-ringtones-ring-tones.co.uk/glossary.html

here's the second......notice the use of the word "often as in "not always"

"A smartphone is generally considered any handheld device that integrates personal information management and mobile phone capabilities in the same device. Often, this includes adding phone functions to already capable PDAs or putting "smart" capabilities, such as PDA functions, into a mobile phone."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone

It simply is what it is and what it does. it's like arguing that the iCar isn't a vehicle cause it doesn't have: (pick 1 or any combination)

-4 wheel drive
-Seating capacity for 7
-Automatic transmission

If it gets you from where you are to where you wanna be, using a man made device that moves it's a vehicle. Why was the Crackberry accepted as smartphone when they just combined e-mail and phone. ? If it combines voice, e-mail and internet access, that's smart enough for 99% of the population. The 0.5% of gadget geeks and 0.5% who actually need and efficiently use all these other "required to maintain life on the planet" features should be confident enough in their choice not to invest substantial portions of their time to denigrate other people for not buying what they don't need and buying the best device for what serves their personal needs.

For all the alleged time saved with these wonderful devices, most waste more than that learning how to use them, spending hours tweaking them and trolling forums to denigrate anyone else who has made a different choice. The iPhone has outsold any other device on the planet in a weekend. There's no big rush to return them and their users are overwhelmingly satisfied, get over it already.

I wouldn't use one because it doesn't fit my particular needs. Music on a handheld, like IM, is something I never quite understood nor had a desire for, so one of it's biggest strengths is something I would never use. But I feel no compulsion to trash a device just because it doesn't fit my particular needs. As long a there is choice in the market, I have nothing to complain about.

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
No sure of the rest of yuor Dell config but

Overall I've been amused by this thread, but this is just plane wrong

Now that Apple uses Intel chips this is an easy comparison.

MacBook Pro - Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2gig ram, 120gig 5400 hd, iNvidia 8600 128mb VRam, $1999

Dell - Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2gig ram, 160gig 5400 hd, InVidia 8600 256mb VRam, $1375

So lets see, $600 dollars more for a Macbook Pro, weaker video card, smaller harddrive, crappy 90 day warranty vs 1-year for the Dell, and that's with a display and battery upgrade to match the MacBook.

And this is for the pricy Dell (compared to HP and others).

The "Apple tax" is even more obvious with desktops.

Edit: Sorry, about 25 pages behind, still catching up. Just broke rule #1, read entire thread before posting.

Does the Dell have a Wireless card? What size screen? Software included?

Look forward to your answers.

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
CountChocula Strikes again!

Don't worry, llarson's already been thoroughly discredited around here. We all know he doesn't actually read other people's posts, he just skimms things and then writes emotional responses.

All you ever seem to do is post these whinny post Count? Step up and add something to the cause?

You going to bark all day little doggie or are you going to bite!!

ruff ruff ruff

See my answer to his post and try not to be to whiny in your response.

Talk about discredited...

Slingbox

Oct 27, 2006
Visit site
Questions,
1)Can you teather the iphone to notebook to gain internet..If so how are edge speeds?
2)How much does it cost for handset protection for the iphone?

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
Mikec making another educated thoughtful and incitful contribution...

Seems Jack forgot about Tickle Me Elmo....

(The iPhone and Elmo are both toys, so it's a fair comparison.)

Other then Bruckwine and Surur and the Diva the rest here seem to find emotional gratification in making personal attacks on posters and trashing the iPHONE.

Hope we can get back to useful post. I enjoy hearing what people think are the short comings of the iPHONE but Tiruk, MikeC and CountChocula (okay personal attack on my part only human) only add personal childish post of the "ha ha your dumb for using the iPHONE LOSER" type.

So to get us back on a more adult level of discussion, it has been mentioned that Apple is coming out with some fixes and updates to the iPHONE.

In your opinion when do they need to get these out to show people they are serious about making the iPHONE a player as a business tool.

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
I feel a troller post here

Questions,
1)Can you teather the iphone to notebook to gain internet..If so how are edge speeds?
2)How much does it cost for handset protection for the iphone?

I think you know the answer to at least 1 of these Sling.

As of now you can not tether the iPHONE to another computer to use as a modem.

AT&T does not offer any insurance. Apple is offering extended Apple care but not theft or damage insurance. Safeware has told me thye plan on offering theft and loss insurance soon. Several companies are underwriting this type of insurance now but I think I will wait for safeware.

Slingbox

Oct 27, 2006
Visit site
Call me stupid but I didn't know answers to both questions asked.
Thanks for the fast response and I must add...That really sucks that they offer no insurance for your device.

Phil C

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
As I understand it...

Call me stupid but I didn't know answers to both questions asked.
Thanks for the fast response and I must add...That really sucks that they offer no insurance for your device.

Phil C

AT&T seems to be phasing out insurance on TREOs too.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Other then Bruckwine and Surur and the Diva the rest here seem to find emotional gratification in making personal attacks on posters and trashing the iPHONE.

Hope we can get back to useful post. I enjoy hearing what people think are the short comings of the iPHONE but Tiruk, MikeC and CountChocula (okay personal attack on my part only human) only add personal childish post of the "ha ha your dumb for using the iPHONE LOSER" type.

So to get us back on a more adult level of discussion, it has been mentioned that Apple is coming out with some fixes and updates to the iPHONE.

In your opinion when do they need to get these out to show people they are serious about making the iPHONE a player as a business tool.

I think by September/October - if they want business ppl to say buy these for Christmas they need to show them it can do business quick..because I'm sure HTC and others will have newer models out...if they wait until after the new year or even too close to Nov/Dec it'll be a bit late to advertise such new "smarter" features...

Not sure how they'll do it though with Leopard coming in October (and I may get my MBP next yr to make sure I get Leopard personally unless someone comes out with commercial rather than hack mac emulation for PC)...what I find funny is hearing about this moving of engineers from one project to another - Apple (or any other company palm aisde :D ) should just hire MORE (temp.) staff to meet deadlines. Then again good engineers might be scarce?!

Slingbox

Oct 27, 2006
Visit site
AT&T seems to be phasing out insurance on TREOs too.
AT&T sucks really bad if thats the case.Im so very glad I never sighed on to that joke of a company a few years back.
I came across an article a few min ago that says that there charging your monthly bill more to use that entertainment center

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
hmm

llarsen,

I think you meant insightful...

why are your panties in such a bunch?

I like the iPhone...not locked-to-a-carrier-$600-no-placeable -battery like, but like nonetheless.

it is a toy...not that that is a bad thing - but it's an IPOD - music, video - entertainment, not work.

Toys are good.
But companies don't buy/give these out. (unless you are Apple) or you are in the entertainment biz.

Get over yourself and the jPhone.

It's not ATTAP.

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
yes sorry insightful...

llarsen,

I think you meant insightful...

why are your panties in such a bunch?

I like the iPhone...not locked-to-a-carrier-$600-no-placeable -battery like, but like nonetheless.

it is a toy...not that that is a bad thing - but it's an IPOD - music, video - entertainment, not work.

Toys are good.
But companies don't buy/give these out. (unless you are Apple) or you are in the entertainment biz.

Get over yourself and the jPhone.

It's not ATTAP.

Mikec,

Do you think people don't read through your sad excuse for sarcasm and insults?

Toy=iPHONE
Phone=Treo, or any other WM device
Toy=for children
Phone=For serious adults

Not that it matters, as everyone is different, but my business did pay for mine and my coworkers who wanted them. I make very good money making commercials as an account executive. My company is a very well respected company doing what we do.

I believe you are the one who needs to Get over yourself and stop making statements that you personally feel apply to you and therefore should apply to everyone.

I also think you mean No Replaceable Battery right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice