10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
As of today, is there any other carrier that provides a cellphone that does simultaneous voice and data other than at&t?

BTW, when I'm on 3G I'm only using the UMTS radio not the GSM one (which is there for whenever I'm out of a 3G area).

Nope, not yet.

The 2nd statement is also correct. Probably why switching between the 2 techs results in a dropped call sometimes. Definitely not perfected yet, and sometimes a full signal drops instantly, for no seen reason.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
And T-Mobile is using a different frequency for UMTS (I believe the European band, but maybe not) so phones like the Treo 750 will not work on it. Maybe the Hermes, not sure.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Gracias for the clarification; I just lump all the that 3G-ey stuff together.

UMTS is the technology, HSDPA is the protocol, and blame Wikipedia for any errors ;-)

Alls I know is I want mo' faster!
Me too. I want it from Palm. I want it with POS.

I got 3Mbps second on my iPhone over Wi-Fi today and 176Kbps over EDGE. Broadband Reports reports 126Kbps over EDGE over iPhones across all tests.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
And T-Mobile is using a different frequency for UMTS (I believe the European band, but maybe not) so phones like the Treo 750 will not work on it. Maybe the Hermes, not sure.

Quad band phones are now pretty common. We will see converged devices before we see converged networks. This will allow most of us to have whatever combinations we want.

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
I agree the mythical update seems a bit too good to be true, but without it the functionality holes remain also. And with increased functionality comes increased complexity.

Surur
So youve determined the device will suck either way? How shocking! :p

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
So youve determined the device will suck either way? How shocking! :p

I dont mind increased complexity, so it would not suck for me. There is a range, and at present its not on my side of the curve.

Jobs put up this graph in the keyboard, saying the iPhone is smart AND easy to use, but he removed many of the things which makes it smart, so I really think it belongs in the SE quadrant with the other feature phones.

iphone_vs_motoq_treo_e62.jpg

Providing more options will invariably move it over to where the rest of the smartphones reside.

Surur

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
I dont mind increased complexity, so it would not suck for me. There is a range, and at present its not on my side of the curve.

Jobs put up this graph in the keyboard, saying the iPhone is smart AND easy to use, but he removed many of the things which makes it smart, so I really think it belongs in the SE quadrant with the other feature phones.

iphone_vs_motoq_treo_e62.jpg

Providing more options will invariably move it over to where the rest of the smartphones reside.

Surur

Yes, this is RDF at it's best...everyone wants the upper right quadrant.

But the argument is flawed.

"smart", to me is more capable. The Treo is more "capable that the iPhone (today) So it should be "smarter.

And as far as ease of use, a regular phone with hard buttons is "easier" to use that an iPhone - no screen to touch/turn-on, or button to press. Just dial the digits and press talk/green button. Done.

Also, does anyone notice that Jobs put the iPhone in the farthest corner and height - That the iPhone can't get any better - its' the smartest and easiest to use. But that really isn't true (see Meredith Viera).

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Yes, this is RDF at it's best...everyone wants the upper right quadrant.

But the argument is flawed.

"smart", to me is more capable. The Treo is more "capable that the iPhone (today) So it should be "smarter.

And as far as ease of use, a regular phone with hard buttons is "easier" to use that an iPhone - no screen to touch/turn-on, or button to press. Just dial the digits and press talk/green button. Done.

Also, does anyone notice that Jobs put the iPhone in the farthest corner and height - That the iPhone can't get any better - its' the smartest and easiest to use. But that really isn't true (see Meredith Viera).

I did notice - found it funny myself though I'm sure somebody out there has it down in the Book of Jobs :D

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Did you notice the other smartphones score 0 on smarts? At least they are not too far into negative numbers :)

Surur

sxtg

Jun 7, 2004
Visit site
Is that chart authentic?

No wonder every house in america has a PC and one rarely finds a mac in the wild, and even if you do see one they also have a PC and/or some program that makes the mac think it is one.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
Quad band phones are now pretty common. We will see converged devices before we see converged networks. This will allow most of us to have whatever combinations we want.

Quad band phones are so common they don't even make new gsm phones without them. Quad band gsm that is. We are talking about UMTS, which are dual band, but are not produced as quad band att, since there hasnt been a need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73