10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
If that is how crashing apps are handled (how they are supposed to be in OS X) then WTF won't Apple allow 3rd party apps? Apps crash, even the bundled web browser. So what? Now let someone make some decent PIMs for the damn thing.

One huge strength for Palms are the PIM apps. I'm a PDA user still, I want my phone top be a great PDA, more so than a great phone.
As a Windows user, I do not know how OS X apps fail. I know that Windows apps fail to the "blue screen of death," and require a re-boot (on my sytem that takes minutes, not seconds or tens of seconds). I know that Treo (POS) apps fail, a half dozen times a day, to a reset or a hard stop that requires a reset, tens of seconds.

The only iPhone app that I have had "fail" is Safari. It does not require a reset or a reboot, only a restart of Safari, a second or two. The choice seems clear to me. What am I missing?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Here's an amusing quote. Kinds of reminds me of Windows 95.

YES: Cycle on/off daily

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by siurpeeman
that's interesting. that's something i hadn't noticed before. but i gotta ask, why would you ever want to turn it off??

Originally Posted by motorazr
I turn mine off just because it seems to loose performance if I leave it on for days (aka the last week, noticed today the performance loss)...

I was having service issues and AT&T told me all of their phones should be cycled on/off once per day. Especially if you travel a lot with a cell phone.

The tech guy said it helps the phone re-register the SIM with a cell tower and clears out registrations which could begin to build up and make the phone harder to connect to cell towers properly.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=326053

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
wait!!!! If I turn it off, I can extend battery life? How cool is that!!! :rolleyes:

So, If I had removed my battery from the Treo I could have saved its life too? $599 later and now you tell me!

Misunderstanding central?

yepper soft reset fix it without a problem...What is happening is probably alot of software all running in the background at once....Doing a soft reset everything is working fine...Probably not a bad idea to soft reset anyway every know and then...

Originally Posted by Dermot81
I think its a memory issue. I've noticed if I'm doing several things concurrently (especially multiple pages in safari), the chances of a home screen revert increase dramatically.

That makes sense. I don't think there's a way to completely close out of an app after using it, so the would naturally pile up in the cache and resolve after a reboot, which everyone seems to be doing.

This is unacceptable to me. I have used Windows Mobile devices for years, and they've typically required reboots every other day to run smoothly. Now, my Apple phone has to be rebooted every day to remain remotely stable?

It's a great phone, but Safari crashing both randomly and reproducibly (trying to search on the Apple trailers site, for instance) is a major failing of one of the core functions of this device. This had better be solved via a very quick update from Apple!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=325013

Sounds like the iPhone needs a lot more maintenance than was promised originally.

Surur

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
That's how it happened with me today. As far as OS X, I don't know. I don't own a Mac.

Well that's one up on OS X 10.4.10! When Tiger crashes it does something akin to the BSOD..you get the Black Screen of Type telling you to power down....so that's a plus for the iPhone (though I DID see three posts at least where they had to hard reset cuz they couldn't get past the apple icon).

Denny Crane

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Well that's one up on OS X 10.4.10! When Tiger crashes it does something akin to the BSOD..you get the Black Screen of Type telling you to power down....so that's a plus for the iPhone (though I DID see three posts at least where they had to hard reset cuz they couldn't get past the apple icon).

That may well be true. I just haven't had to do a hard reset yet. I'm trying to give it a good workout too because if it becomes a pain, I want to know before my 14 days are up!

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
As a Windows user, I do not know how OS X apps fail. I know that Windows apps fail to the "blue screen of death," and require a re-boot (on my sytem that takes minutes, not seconds or tens of seconds). I know that Treo (POS) apps fail, a half dozen times a day, to a reset or a hard stop that requires a reset, tens of seconds.

The only iPhone app that I have had "fail" is Safari. It does not require a reset or a reboot, only a restart of Safari, a second or two. The choice seems clear to me. What am I missing?

Have you ever owned a treo 680? This crash several times a day seems to be associated with the 650 (and the 30? MB ROM)..my treo 680 crashes maybe twice a week...if at all!Just curious...

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Have you ever owned a treo 680? This crash several times a day seems to be associated with the 650 (and the 30? MB ROM)..my treo 680 crashes maybe twice a week...if at all!Just curious...

With my 680 it has only crashed because of Agendus and DialByPhoto. Oh, also Opera Mini4, but that's a beta (Agendus is a perpetual beta though).

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site

My point is that if an iPhone crashes gracefully, ie doesn't bring the system down and require a reset, then what is this crappy excuse that 'no 3rd party apps' is for stability and security? If it it OS X it should be really secure to start, allow 3rd party apps already! Of course I think Apple wants to make money off any additional functionality and will limit others to web apps (of those are just so wundaba, nein?) This is my personal gripe against the iPhone, all other limitations etc are 'whatevers' to me, the one ling that kills it for me is there is no 'real' way to extend it's functionality. The BT implementation is further evidence of this needless neutering. And WTF is up with the headphone jack? As a Mac fan and gadget lover, this pisses me off mightily.

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
This is my personal gripe against the iPhone, all other limitations etc are 'whatevers' to me, the one ling that kills it for me is there is no 'real' way to extend it's functionality.
I'm with you on this one, but i'm sure we'll see third party apps in the thing at some point.

The BT implementation is further evidence of this needless neutering.
True, but i'll bet that Apple didn't add support for stereo bluetooth because their own Apple branded bluetooth headphones arent ready yet. When they are a simple software update can enable the rest of the bluetooth features that should have been there already.

And WTF is up with the headphone jack? As a Mac fan and gadget lover, this pisses me off mightily.
Another issue for me, but a $10 headphone jack extender fixes the problem...

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
I too wish it has a2dp, but considering the lack or removable battery I think I'm better off. I also had to buy that stupid adapter.

You do not have to reset the phone every day. In fact, I would even call that statement absurd. AT&T says that about ALL their phones, as is stated in the quote, for network purposes. Far from necessary.

It should also be known that you can close apps on the iPhone. Its very easy too, and one-handed! :)

I'm done for now. Please, carry on...

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site

That might've been true for Windows98 and Me, but application crashing rarely if ever causes a BSOD in XP or Vista (not that I really like either of those either, but at least get your facts straight). The only things that reliably cause a BSOD in XP are driver or hardware related (graphics drivers are known to do this). If an application crashes or freezes in XP, you can almost always just close it with the task manager and return to the desktop.

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
I'm with you on this one, but i'm sure we'll see third party apps in the thing at some point.
Pure speculation at this point. I'm also sure Palm will release a non-incremental new Treo at some point. I'm not holding my breath though.

True, but i'll bet that Apple didn't add support for stereo bluetooth because their own Apple branded bluetooth headphones arent ready yet. When they are a simple software update can enable the rest of the bluetooth features that should have been there already.
And that supposedly makes it ok? It just proves how money-grubbing they are and how much they want to nickel and dime you all to death.

Another issue for me, but a $10 headphone jack extender fixes the problem...
Nickels and dimes, my friend. They'll get you in the end.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
And that supposedly makes it ok? It just proves how money-grubbing they are and how much they want to nickel and dime you all to death.

Nickels and dimes, my friend. They'll get you in the end.

you know, if you listened to yourself you would have bought their stock a long time ago.

let me guess, you did.

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
you know, if you listened to yourself you would have bought their stock a long time ago.

let me guess, you did.

There are companies that I would never buy stock from even if it's a guaranteed increase, because I cannot morally support them as a company. It's not all about personal gain, sometimes it's what you stand for.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site

I do own a 680. I agree it does not crash; the battery does not last long enough. It does not even make a good paper weight.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
There are companies that I would never buy stock from even if it's a guaranteed increase, because I cannot morally support them as a company. It's not all about personal gain, sometimes it's what you stand for.

I agree with Cramer; investing is about the money. That said, I do not own Altria; for me the line is somewhere between Altria and Anheuser-Busch. Apple is clearly on the "morally" right side of that line. They make money for their investors by selling a quality product at a price that the consumer stands in line to pay. Hell, I even own Microsoft.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Those iPhone crashes must be annoying. I hope it does not damage Apple's reputation.

hekidnappedher 07-10-2007 06:47

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

iPhone crashes to home screen...ALOT

I notice that the iPhone crashes to the home screen many times if I am on a particular site that takes a while to load and after about 15-20 seconds...BOOM...crashes to home screen. This happens whether the iPod is playing music or not.

Rebooting the phone does seem to solve the problem temporarily in most cases...but then there are times where rebooting doesn't help at all.

This is sure as hell not a hardware issue because there are threads with tons of people claiming the same thing happens to them.

Hopefully apple will release a update to fix this well known glitch. Until then, keep on rebooting until apple decides to find and fix this!

sunnybwoy 07-10-2007 07:57

I have the same problem and is getting worse.to the point that I think I might return it tomorrow but if apple doesn't hurry up they might lose another one.

alex310 07-10-2007 12:59

Do the reset guys, you wont lose no data, hold down the power & the button under the screen till a screen pops up saying slide to turn off, slide it, then turn it back on, fixed the problem on my phone and one other person I heard of. Good luck guys!

drmrw 07-10-2007 13:07

The iPhone doesn't crash......it suddenly has a change of heart about the program its running....
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1198441

Surur

meyerweb#CB

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site

What are you missing? The fact that on my 700P Blazer hasn't "failed" in weeks. It crashes perhaps once a month or so. And my 700P hasn't reset in a couple of weeks, and typically resets (or needs me to do a reset) less than once a month. I'll take that over Safari crashes multiple times a day.

And I honestly can't remember when I last saw a BSOD. I'm sure it was back on Windows 2000--I don't think I've ever gotten one under XP.

Even if my Treo did reset once a day, I'd put up with it for the dramaticly better feature set Palm includes compared to the iPhone. It's really kind of sad that Palm devices did more, in many ways, 10 years ago than the iPHone does today. Other than a flashy interface, the iPhone is significantly less capable than my 700. I mean, really: no tasks at all (and don't tell me a web site is a reasonable alternative), no searching in contacts, weak calendaring capabilities, especially compared to 3rd party apps like Datebook. And there will never be a datebook for the iPhone, will there?. That may be the biggest issue of all for the iPhone. You'll never see the kind of capabilities 3rd party apps provide for Palm and Windoze devices, thanks to Steve Job's penchant for closed platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro