10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
People's needs differ, and there ain't nothing wrong with that :)

I currently have an E61 so you'll guess that text input is important to me too, but whether an iPhone would be good enough in that respect I really couldn't say. The reviews of the keyboard have been more positive than I expected, but some certainly don't get on with it. I'd really like it to at least be sufficient for my needs (because of all the benefits I've noted above) but it would definitely be something I'd be looking to test. Perhaps by the time it comes to the UK the landscape keyboard will be available in all apps? That would be a good thing imo.

The screen real estate is valid for entertainment (surfing, movie, music) and just maybe business (easier to read text? but then doesn't the virtual kb take up half the screen anyway when writing?) marcol, but for someone like me the real reason I first got a cellphone 11+ yrs back was for emergency calling (i.e. car breaks down, someone needs me asap)...the phone function seems to take too many steps to reach..with my treo at home all I have to do is start typing, rather than wait for a few swipes and THEN the kb come sup...I think in v2 of this thing they must have TWO buttons at least side-by-side - the HOME button and a dedicated PHONE one! Swiping is cool but not as quick as pressing "phone"

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Yes, most of the time I just press the call button to get to the call screen! And I also get a list of the last numbers dialed or received. I've seen where people say you can't differentiate between which was dialed and which was received on the iPhone, only missed calls.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Yes, most of the time I just press the call button to get to the call screen! And I also get a list of the last numbers dialed or received. I've seen where people say you can't differentiate between which was dialed and which was received on the iPhone, only missed calls.

Didn't know that - I think Apple will be "borrowing" a few more pdate features from smartphones then (uother than the ringer switch ;)) like green and red colour-coded call listing.

As said before at least theoretically they can send updates..as malesta stated it's probably what has always held back smaller companies like Palm - the need to have it OK'd by the carriers...maybe, just maybe that will all cahnge now.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Didn't know that - I think Apple will be "borrowing" a few more pdate features from smartphones then (uother than the ringer switch ;)) like green and red colour-coded call listing.

As said before at least theoretically they can send updates..as malesta stated it's probably what has always held back smaller companies like Palm - the need to have it OK'd by the carriers...maybe, just maybe that will all cahnge now.

It will be funny when their first update bricks 5% of the iPhones. Imagine 50 000 people screaming all at once.

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Some apple fanboys are revolting too.

bluesman87
macrumors member

Wow...i am so disappointed

So i stood in line for two hours on launch day and got my hopes up that this toy would live up to the hype, and i am sorely disappointed. I am blown away by the fanboy response here and how people are overlooking the simplest things that are wrong with this thing. First, safari is pathetic. No saving documents, no flash and it CRASHES all of the time. You can't listen to the ipod and surf because it crashes constantly. The iPod is decent, but it constantly has problems deciphering whether its in landscape mode or not and i feel like when i am walking around with it i have to hold it a certain way so it doesn't go into coverflow. The headphone jack is ****ing pathetic as well! Why is it recessed? None of my headphones work with it, and the belkin adapter is large and inconvenient. The call quality is decent, but so low that people are constantly tell me that they cant hear me, and i have to hold it a certain way. The mail app and the phone itself seem to be the only usable and reliable programs. The wifi on mine does not connect to some routers, and my answer from the people is that it all depends on the router and how it is set up. Come the **** on! Apple says its not a watered down and i laugh historically at this, as that is exactly what it is. Edge is a smack in the face, and unless you are using low bandwidth websites like facebook or macrumors, it takes FOREVER to load. The widgets are elementary and quite laughable in my opinion. The phone function is the only thing that seems to be without problem, and I can't even begin to tell you how 'un-apple' this thing feels to me. I had the original iPod, and remember plugging it into my iBook and everything loaded and i unplugged it and that was it. I had to download software, and figure out how to load my media onto the device because it does not do drag and drop. If apple really was testing this thing for 5-6 months, I am blown away that they did not catch some of this ****. Either they did and are playing the business card and waiting to update it to continue sales, but for those of us that are out half a grand are stuck with a buggy piece. I am also blown away by the fanboy support of this. People are defending it like its near perfect, and it is far from it.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=326866

Surur

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Some apple fanboys are revolting too.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=326866

Surur

This is so lame. Looking around the macrumors forums for somebody that is dissapointed with the iPhone and posting it here with the caption "Some apple fanboys are revolting too". Its really getting quite pathetic. We understand that you hate the iPhone, but the depths that your going to to show your disapproval is getting a little strange.

disclaimer: I support POS devices, Win. Mobile devices, and Blackberrys for my company. At this time I prefer my iPhone (close second is the blackberry curve).

There are things I would like added to the iPhone. If future updates do not add them I would consider switching. It would have to be to a device with a nice big screen, with resolution above 320x240, and be thin. Also, I dont want to see any start menus, or have to edit a registry. Maybe WM7

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site

on the iPhone you simply press the phone button and then the keypad button. if you want to see your recent calls there is a "recent" button that shows you your missed and outgoing calls. the missed calls are highlighted in "red." i'm not sure how someone couldn't tell the difference between black or red other than the color blind. if so, there is a tab marked "missed" if that's all you want to see.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
I'm always texting or calling someone, Marcol. Since the keyboard/pad is always there, that actually helps.

you do have the option of never locking the device which would omit the sliding to unlock feature. then you press the SMS button, then msg button and the keyboard pops up.

is that really all that time consuming, onerous, or difficult to do?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
on the iPhone you simply press the phone button and then the keypad button. if you want to see your recent calls there is a "recent" button that shows you your missed and outgoing calls. the missed calls are highlighted in "red." i'm not sure how someone couldn't tell the difference between black or red other than the color blind. if so, there is a tab marked "missed" if that's all you want to see.

You know, on WM 6, when you press the phone button, you are immediately faced with a list of your recent phone calls, and you can type in some-one's name to search their number straight away.

iPhone is pseudo-easy. Sure, for the general public its fine, but after a week all the inefficiencies will be very obvious.

Surur

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
for someone like me the real reason I first got a cellphone 11+ yrs back was for emergency calling (i.e. car breaks down, someone needs me asap)...the phone function seems to take too many steps to reach..with my treo at home all I have to do is start typing, rather than wait for a few swipes and THEN the kb come sup

the phone function takes the push of the "phone" icon...if you last were using the keypad you're ready to dial. if you were last on favorites then you could possibly call right from there.

as for typing, if you're in SMS or email, all you have to do is press the new msg icon and the keyboard automatically pops up.

just trying to show that it's not as difficult or cumbersome as some may think.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
wow

If Merlyn_3D is returning his, that says a lots. He makes some very good points, esp. about GSM and carrier lock.

I wonder how many more "test drive" iPhones will be returned?

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
This picture has been posted a few times here:

cmdpreviewinwebbrowserkv7.jpg

What Jobs is actually talking about in that section of the keynote is input.

Marcol, thanks for this. It would seem that this would go to refute claims that he was "comparing" the iPhone to the devices shown on the media board to imply it was a smartphone like the rest of them as opposed to comparing just the keyboard and screen space.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
If Merlyn_3D is returning his, that says a lots. He makes some very good points, esp. about GSM and carrier lock.

I wonder how many more "test drive" iPhones will be returned?

right. he didn't care for the lack of 3G, closed system, and the fact that there wasn't a second reminder for calendar alerts. he loved the keyboard. he states that he hopes for 3rd party app capability and would be back if it offered GPS and 3G.

what does that really say? for him the current version wasn't worth the money to him.

but for some reason we're led to think that it is some telling indicator of the device itself. it is nothing new, just someone's opinion.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
hahahaha

Denny, marcol,

Nice RDF attempt, but Jobs was making a comparison to smartphones, and positioned it was such.

It wasn't only about screen real estate, but a better virtual keyboard, which enhanced smartphone functionality.

Why even compare to these devices, Why not compare to other phones, like razr, Samsungs, etc?

Because his was aiming at these devices.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
well

oal, it may be merl's view that he will wait for version 2 or 3 or whichever meets his needs.

I don't think he experience is the only one.

If it takes Apple 2 years to address these things, that is along time in the tech world.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
the phone function takes the push of the "phone" icon...if you last were using the keypad you're ready to dial. if you were last on favorites then you could possibly call right from there.

as for typing, if you're in SMS or email, all you have to do is press the new msg icon and the keyboard automatically pops up.

just trying to show that it's not as difficult or cumbersome as some may think.

Well as I've never had one I'mg going on forum posts and reviews (like Pogue's) - and sorry i meant "dialing" not typing (I was talking about dialing a number by jus tunlocking then starting on my treo in comparison). Anyway one day i shall see...but I hope that the kinks will be out then. Btw as an owner how is the battery life with all systems go (wifi bt, etc)?

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Marcol, thanks for this. It would seem that this would go to refute claims that he was "comparing" the iPhone to the devices shown on the media board to imply it was a smartphone like the rest of them as opposed to comparing just the keyboard and screen space.

Perhaps..but that was the keynote..on the website before June 29th there was just a sheet that had all those PLUS the iPhone in a comparison of some (not all features)...he may have been using that chart in the slide at WWDC for screen real estate (or implying it was a msartphone), but the infamous chart was certainly comparing several things in addition to the screen, and only for smartphones. Sorry guys I just think Jobs is a d**k and that's separate and apart from any of Apple's products!

This was the corrected chart which most consumers would've seen as many didn't attend WWDC '07 (after the wifi booboo with the n95):
iPhone_Competitive_2.jpg

Here's some other chart someone made:

thumb-iphonecompare.png

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Btw as an owner how is the battery life with all systems go (wifi bt, etc)?

battery: beyond one day given my usage. right now i'm mainly using it on the weekends as i still carry my Blackberry during the work week. the battery life seems ample given the amount of time the screen is on given the amount of browsing and calling i might do on a given weekend day.

and for whatever it's worth, i can have multiple browser pages open, an ipod song playing, google maps downloading and yet to experience a crash or need to reset. like i've said, maybe i'm just one of the fortunate ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen