10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
I still say the million unit mark as of Tuesday is inflated. Someone wants to say the magic phrase "1 million in a week".

you questioned Goldman Sachs' integrity in regards to their 700,000 sales estimate. actually, you said they had lost their integrity.

given the 1mm estimates that are circulating, are you going to grant them their integrity back? or were they so heineously wrong with their level?

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
These reports are coming from other forums, including Apple's own. I was over there. There has to be something to it. Perhaps you cannot multi-task too much or whatever, but something is making phones crash.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Phone Diva, i know you're smarter than this; don't believe everything you read in this silly thread.

if you ask any of us owners who post here will tell you that we still yet to experience a crash, or at least i'm fairly certain of it.

i'm not sure if it was your concern or not but navigating is simple once you learn the finger taps (they are posted on Apple's iPhone web page as are the instructionals/faq's, etc).

regards
i am not absolutely certain but I don't think I have had anything like a crash.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
These reports are coming from other forums, including Apple's own. I was over there. There has to be something to it. Perhaps you cannot multi-task too much or whatever, but something is making phones crash.

i don't disbelieve what you are saying. i'm sure you can find many here who have problems with their Treos even today let alone when they first came to market. my experience to now has been zero crashes. let me try making the device do all sorts of things at once and i'll get right back to you.

regards

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Safari and iPod running together seem to crash on quite a few people. But I wouldn't test it if I were you!

Mail app also crashes for some. Or causes the PC(when trying to sync) to crash.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Safari and iPod running together seem to crash on quite a few people. But I wouldn't test it if I were you!

Mail app also crashes for some. Or causes the PC(when trying to sync) to crash.

ok. playing a song, have google maps open, i opened email, attached a photo and sent it, and have 3 different browser tabs open.

no crash.

i know, i know, 1 out of 1 million, right?

regards

ps: have synch'd numerous times now with my PC and zero crashes.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Oalvarez, are you implying either I or those posters are making up those threads? DESPITE your own experience you are going to have to accept the device does crash, and for some people quite a lot.

Surur

stroths

Apr 16, 2006
Visit site
Every phone with a more complex OS like the iPhone, Treoes, other WM Phones, etc can and will crash. The iPhone will likely crash less than the others for now. The WM and PalmOS phones often crash because of some 3rd party software. Of course, we all know this.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
you questioned Goldman Sachs' integrity in regards to their 700,000 sales estimate. actually, you said they had lost their integrity.

given the 1mm estimates that are circulating, are you going to grant them their integrity back? or were they so heineously wrong with their level?

Well, I think most investment banks have lost thier integrity, so I actually wrote my view in reverse. I still think them pumping up Apple pays dividends in their other business.

While the research and investments sides are supposed to be separate, I know how flawed this works in practice.

With each passing day, they get closer to the mark. I guess I will wait for Apple's 10-K and see what comes of that.

If they are selling that many, then good for them. I just think there a little exaggeration going on...

Apple is targeting 10M iPhones by 2008. Some analysts say it may hit 45M in two years.

(By means of comparison, they estimate 91M laptop computers sold this year, growing to 137M in 2010. Let's three-split the difference and say 107M in 2008.)

950M cell phones sold in the 2006 world market....Apple's target 1% of the market (10M) - how do you get there with only one carrier in the US and two in Europe?

No doubt, iPhone is a kick in the pants for the industry. I think if the had issues unlocked phone and also CDMA versions on Sprint and Verizon, they would make the 10M...but given the current structure, I have to wonder (unless Europe goes hog wild and by them by the truckload.)

Not saying this isn't possible, just trying to make the projections work.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
The refrain I have been hearing these past few weeks has been "I would give up third party apps for a stable, reliable device." Well, it does not look like the iphone is living up to its side of the deal.

Surur

jlczl

Jan 21, 2004
Visit site
Oalvarez:

In the past you've been very critical of the size of many smartphones. Can you comment on the feel and size of the iPhone compared to your Pearl? TIA

JackNaylorPE

Feb 15, 2005
Visit site
Apple was smart to recognize they needed something very slick & pretty (even if it lacked many standard features on other smartphones) to grab the nontechie masses.

Apple also recognizes that:

1. There are "nontechie masses".
2. There are no "techie masses". While very vocal, the techies numbers are nothing to get excited about.

A non techie wants to hang a picture on a wall, he will go out and buy a hammer. A techie will go out and buy a Binford 2000 air hammer with 2.4 cuft pnuematic chamber, 300 nail cartridge capacity, adjustable spring trigger blah blah blah. The first guy gets home hangs his piture and watches the baseball game 2 minutes later while the first guy is still RTFM'ing trying to figure out how to set it up.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Oalvarez, are you implying either I or those posters are making up those threads? DESPITE your own experience you are going to have to accept the device does crash, and for some people quite a lot.

Surur

nope, i believe them all. in all honesty i really only care about my experience. that's why i went out and bought one so i could see for myself what was, and what wasn't.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Oalvarez:

In the past you've been very critical of the size of many smartphones. Can you comment on the feel and size of the iPhone compared to your Pearl? TIA

to be clear, i have been critical of consumer choices (e.g., given the same device features and user needs) in that i don't understand why someone would prefer big and bulky over slim and more trim. having said that, we've seen a large number of individuals here at TreoCentral actually make that type of switch.

as for the feel and size of the iPhone and how it compares to that of the Pearl:

size: the iPhone is less thick, about 3/8in wider, and about 1/2in. taller. you can convert the measurements into volume and create more drastic differences i'm sure. either way it doesn't matter all that much to me.

feel: the iPhone feels much more thin than the Pearl in hand. it also feels more substantial as it does take up more hand space. the Pearl has a cheap feel to it, perhaps it's due to the materials and lesser weight. the Pearl is easy to manipulate in hand and in fingers, the iPhone less so (you can toss the Pearl around in your hands, it is quite light). in pocket there is only a marginal difference between the two due to the slim design of both devices. the iPhone feels much less heavy and bulky than my Treos of old (forget pocketing a 6600!! as i once did.....for the record, i don't carry any of these on my waist and i will never do so). the iPhone feels extremely solid and it does have a feeling of quality given the aluminum back and glass front. the base also feels solid given the hard plastic cap that serves as the speaker and antenna cover.

the biggest difference (and one that many might forget) is how "seemless" the device feels. there are no real protruding buttons, no flywheels/jogwheels/5way buttons....NONE when you really think about it....it really is a work of art from a design perspective.

regards

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
For the past week I've been using a iPhone along side my curve to see which one I like better. After this short test period I have come to a few conclusions....

1. The blackberry does email, IM (none for iPhone yet),and makes phone calls better.

2. I still prefer to use the iPhone.

I actually think I can type far faster now on the iPhone than I could on the curve. The screen just blows my mind away (my coworkers 8125 win Mobile device looks like ancient technology).

If you like web browsing on your phone, nothing comes close. (I can care less about flash support).

Apple needs a better email client, add iChat (jivetalk is coming soon though), and pump up the volume on phone calls a little, and I will be very happy.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
For the past week I've been using a iPhone along side my curve to see which one I like better. After this short test period I have come to a few conclusions....

1. The blackberry does email, IM (none for iPhone yet),and makes phone calls better.

2. I still prefer to use the iPhone.

I actually think I can type far faster now on the iPhone than I could on the curve. The screen just blows my mind away (my coworkers 8125 win Mobile device looks like ancient technology).

If you like web browsing on your phone, nothing comes close. (I can care less about flash support).

Apple needs a better email client, add iChat (jivetalk is coming soon though), and pump up the volume on phone calls a little, and I will be very happy.

From your post, it actually makes the Curve look more useful. Read again what you wrote.

Status
Not open for further replies.