10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
So what is it that you want? A 700p without a keyboard?

I would think lots like having hardkeys to press. Am i angry at palm that they didn't totally gut the keyboard and make it all touch screen? Heck no.

The iphone, if you think about it, has a nicer screen, visual voicemail (that's nice), and the ability to render webpages better while being able to go portrait or landscape by just turning it.

Up til this point, the 700p (and 755p) had the best resolution screen.

I'd love to see a palm version of the iphone. Will it happen? No idea. Not sure if palm is targeting that end of the market, but you'd think so with the silly colors they start releasing Treos in.

I'll say it again though. Apple knows how to market and i hope palm and microsoft were taking notes. Reminds me of AOL back when the internet was very young. Easy interface, expensive, limited and proprietary apps but on a slow network. AOL users got made fun of a lot, but most that signed up are probably your target iphone users..technically not so competent. But if you remember, AOL made a ton of money.

Down the line the aol users got more experienced and went a different route. The same will happen with most iphone users most just becoming aware of what smartphones can do for the first time. This bodes well for the future as Treos were still somewhat a secret from the masses. (at least we still have our slingboxes..the masses hasn't grasped what real smartphones can do yet). Everyone will have to compete a little harder now and we all win in the end.

zeze22

Sep 18, 2006
Visit site
yeah

More and more of the iPHONE haters are resorting to personal attacks. I am amazed at the HATE you guys have for a piece of electronics. Bronxboy, maybe you should step back from the keyboard and breath deeply. I'm sure the "Business connections" you have are deeply impressed by the many Ringtones you can create.

Mine tend to want me to make them money.

Best wishes with your RAZOR...

I'm with you. This thread was never intended to be a serious discussion. The guy who started it is from the UK and has never even seen an iphone, nor have all the critics. One or two say that have "tried" it for a few mins. That is ignorance defined.

The RAZR comparisons are laughable, never serious, and intended simply to provoke.

Given all of the above, it is no surprise that the thread has steadily deteriorated from nonsense to trash.

tirk

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
Rather a selective quote, tirk...

Actually, I disagree. I said they liked the interface, which was the only strongly positive thing in the summary that you posted in toto. What I posted was representative of the article, which said to me "pretty device, lovely UI, not without faults, will be perfect for many people, but it's not a smartphone, and it's been horribly oversold by Apple".

HobbesIsReal#WP

May 2, 2004
www.wmexperts.com
I basically look at phones in two categories:

Phones to Meet Business Needs: If you place the iPhone in this category it is going to get stepped all over as I am sure it will underwhelm and under deliver for meeting the needs of a business person who uses their phone extensively while out of the office.

I personally would never even consider the iPhone as an alternative to a Treo or WM device to meet my business needs. I am too dependent on 3rd party software and don't want to be held down to edge data speeds.

Weekend / Average Consumer Phone Needs: This category I usually look at as a cell phone with added entertainment value, i.e. playing music, videos, streaming, internet webpage access, etc....

I have my business phone and I have a weekend phone that I can take to the beach and not be worried about losing my life if an accident happens. I currently am using the Logic Fusic and does fine for that. I think the iPhone in this view is really cool. If it wasn't banned from CDMA and if it was around $200 I would be seriously tempted.

Summary: It comes down to the same thing as with any cell phone......if the phone can meet the individual needs / wants of that specific customer. Simply list out what you plan on doing with your phone. Then make your list of Pros with all the needs that phone can meet and the Cons that phone cannot do that you would like to be able to do. If there are more Pros and you can live with the Cons, then you will be happy with the phone. If not, then you will be greatly disappointed no matter what phone it is.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I'm with you. This thread was never intended to be a serious discussion. The guy who started it is from the UK and has never even seen an iphone, nor have all the critics. One or two say that have "tried" it for a few mins. That is ignorance defined.
C'mon. Surur posted real people's opinions and write ups (all cited), which was the majority of this thread for awhile but then got sidetracked.

Those are facts.

Why do I need to try one? I can summarize the iPhone in comparison to my 700wx in one sentence, ready?

It does less for a lot more money.

That's it and is all I have to know.

All the anecdotes about Safari crashing, hard resets, low volume, limit functionality and how quickly the device gets boring are just fun to read for those of us who don't believe the hype.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Rather a selective quote, tirk
Actually, I disagree. I said they liked the interface, which was the only strongly positive thing in the summary that you posted in toto. What I posted was representative of the article, which said to me "pretty device, lovely UI, not without faults, will be perfect for many people, but it's not a smartphone, and it's been horribly oversold by Apple".
Do you not understand the word 'quote'?

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Moment of silence, please

It appears Archie has left TC. He left on 6/29, at 5PM, presumably to get his iPhone and enjoy it accordingly.

We hardly knew ya.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Today's Dilemma: Should I return my iPhone back to Apple?

pelicanparts

Okay, here's the story. By all measures, the new Apple iPhone is a revolutionary device, and does almost everything promised by all of the hype. However, it is missing a telephone feature that I consider to be *so* critical, I do not think I can have and use a phone that does not have it.

What is this magical feature you ask? It's a simple BEEP reminder that the phone emits every five minutes or so when you have a voicemail message, or a text message.

Why is this feature so critical? Well, first of all, I don't want to have to physically check my phone everytime I leave it on my desk and then head to the bathroom. If someone calls while I'm out taking care of business, then it will beep and remind me when I get back that I have a voicemail message. Likewise, if the webserver goes down, it sends a text-message email to my phone instantly alerting me to the problem. If I just happen to be away from my phone (like in my house, where my phone is in my office), then it will continue to beep every five minutes until I pick it up and read the message (or clear the new message alert).

The new iPhone surprisingly does not have this feature. My old Motorola i90 did, and so does my (now formerly current) Motorola Razr. The problem is that if the webserver goes down, or there is a problem, there is no reminder to tell me that I have a message. If someone is desperately trying to get in touch with me, and they leave an important voicemail, then I won't know about it until I physically pick up the phone. The phone won't remind me from across the room - I would have to actually look at it.

Likewise, if I'm working late, and then the next morning I'm sleeping in, and people call me with problems with the computers, often I don't hear the first ringer, but I do often eventually hear the reminder beep. It would appear that the iPhone has no such capability which is sad, as that is a necessary, and required function for me in a cell phone.

So, it looks like I may be returning this to the store, as this sortof makes the phone almost a liability in terms of not being able to alert me to important calls and messages.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

-Wayne

mhill0425

i hear the beep often as well if i'm sleeping, but at the same time its not a HUGE deal, just have to check the phone every once anda while(for the work situation, but in that case i carry my phone on me at all times when i'm at work) and there is always the possiblity of them perhaps updating the firmware because that sounds like it would just be a little firmware patch no hardware needed

pelicanparts

Yes, you would think that it would be a very simple coding excercise. However, Mr. Jobs and his team didn't think this necessary. My wife uses that all the time sometimes to find her phone.

The iPhone went back to Apple today as the first one returned to the Manhattan Beach store. They were kind enough to *not* charge me a restocking fee. I think the fact that I returned it within one day was a factor in that...

-Wayne
thehotch

pelican - don't return the phone just yet. Post the issue at apple.com (support tab, then discussions, etc. - just like this one) I'd bet that between this forum and Apple SOMEONE will come up with a solution. There's got to be one because it's too simple of an issue to defeat your American Right to own and enjoy this gadget. I'm thinking of a kind of substitution beep to re-train your brain...
pelicanparts

Too late, it's back at the store. I agree with you that this is a very easy fix, but it doesn't look like it would be fixed until the next release, and who knows when that is going to be. They didn't charge me a restocking fee, if this feature comes out again, then I will buy another one, no questions asked. It's a great product, but I can't risk not seeing a message from my webserver that says "SERVER DOWN".

-Wayne

iknowaboutit

not that serious

rkkeller

None of the BlackBerrys have that either. I think its kind of a
petty complaint.
http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=apple&thread.id=2101

Apple and usability - they should meet. :evil:

Surur

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
Why I hate Windows Mobile article...

http://www.obharath.net/blog/2007/06/25/why-i-hate-my-windows-mobile/

Why I hate my Windows Mobile

With all the hype surrounding iPhone and after reading Apple?s get ready for iPhone page, I thought I will write how disappointed I am with my Windows Mobile phone (i-mate JASJAM running WM5) and Microsoft.

I am using Vista and the program to sync my Vista laptop with my mobile is Windows Mobile Device Center. According to Microsoft,

Windows Mobile Device Center helps you to quickly set up new partnerships, synchronize business-critical information such as e-mail, contacts and calendar appointments, easily manage your synchronization settings, and transfer business documents between your device and PC. #

WMDC

Lets see how it syncs.

1. Contacts: Without Outlook installed on your PC you cant sync your Windows Contacts.
2. Calendar: Without Outlook installed on your PC you cant sync your Windows Calendar.
3. E-mail: Without Outlook installed on your PC you cant sync your E-mail from Windows Mail.

Ok wait, if I install Outlook, I can sync these simple things from my PC to my mobile. But Outlook is not a free program and I don?t care how much it costs. The most expensive Vista already comes with

1. Windows Contacts.
2. Windows Calendar.
3. Windows Mail (Replaced with Windows Live Mail).

Why these features exists in Windows Vista, if I cant sync those to my Windows Mobile. Ofcourse I can do these things directly on any phone not just Windows mobile phone. But check how some of these simple things can be done on iPhone using iTunes both on Mac and PC. And did I say iTunes is FREE. Lets see

iPhone syncs with the address book you already use on your computer ? Address Book or Entourage on a Mac, or Outlook or Outlook Express on a PC.#

iTunes already syncs iPod Contacts with Windows Contacts and I guess it will be same for iPhone.

iPhone uses iTunes to sync with the calendar application you already use on your computer ? iCal or Entourage on the Mac, or Outlook on a PC ? just like it does with your contacts.#

iTunes won?t sync iPod calendar with Windows Calendar currently but I wont be surprised if they allow iPhone to sync with Windows Calendar.

iTunes will make email setup on iPhone a breeze by automatically syncing the settings from email accounts stored in Mail on a Mac or Outlook on a PC.#

I am not sure if iTunes supports automatically syncing the settings from email accounts stored in Windows Mail. But I hope Apple will support those Vista features and beat Microsoft to it when iPhone and new iTunes are released on June 29th.

These are just some of the basic things any smartphone users want to sync with their computer and clearly Microsoft fails with their Windows Mobile. Here is a response from someone in Microsoft to a user who asked how to Sync Vista Windows Contacts to PPC in Windows Mobile newsgroups.

Currently, WMDC does not support sycning of Windows Mail and Windows Contacts. It is something that the feature team is considering for future releases. Currently, WMDC only supports syncing of data with Outlook.

Shame on you Microsoft and Windows Mobile team.

Microsoft and Windows Mobile we work if you PAY more for MORE Microsoft software.

I guess this article shows that WM doesn't work out of the box UNLESS you shell out $$$$ for mor MS software.

What a lousy gimick WM is right Surur.

FLAME ON !!!!!!!!! :mad:

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
His complaint is strange, as near every WM device ships with some for of outlook. A few dont recently, but the vast majority do. Maybe he's just stupid.

Surur

sxtg

Jun 7, 2004
Visit site

With all the hype surrounding iPhone and after reading Apple?s get ready for iPhone page, I thought I will write how disappointed I am with my Windows Mobile phone (i-mate JASJAM running WM5) and Microsoft.

I am using Vista and the program to sync my Vista laptop with my mobile is Windows Mobile Device Center. According to Microsoft,

Windows Mobile Device Center helps you to quickly set up new partnerships, synchronize business-critical information such as e-mail, contacts and calendar appointments, easily manage your synchronization settings, and transfer business documents between your device and PC. #

WMDC

Lets see how it syncs.

1. Contacts: Without Outlook installed on your PC you cant sync your Windows Contacts.
2. Calendar: Without Outlook installed on your PC you cant sync your Windows Calendar.
3. E-mail: Without Outlook installed on your PC you cant sync your E-mail from Windows Mail.

Ok wait, if I install Outlook, I can sync these simple things from my PC to my mobile. But Outlook is not a free program and I don?t care how much it costs. The most expensive Vista already comes with

1. Windows Contacts.
2. Windows Calendar.

Why these features exists in Windows Vista, if I cant sync those to my Windows Mobile. Ofcourse I can do these things directly on any phone not just Windows mobile phone. But check how some of these simple things can be done on iPhone using iTunes both on Mac and PC. And did I say iTunes is FREE. Lets see

iPhone syncs with the address book you already use on your computer ? Address Book or Entourage on a Mac, or Outlook or Outlook Express on a PC.#

iTunes already syncs iPod Contacts with Windows Contacts and I guess it will be same for iPhone.

iPhone uses iTunes to sync with the calendar application you already use on your computer ? iCal or Entourage on the Mac, or Outlook on a PC ? just like it does with your contacts.#

iTunes won?t sync iPod calendar with Windows Calendar currently but I wont be surprised if they allow iPhone to sync with Windows Calendar.

iTunes will make email setup on iPhone a breeze by automatically syncing the settings from email accounts stored in Mail on a Mac or Outlook on a PC.#

I am not sure if iTunes supports automatically syncing the settings from email accounts stored in Windows Mail. But I hope Apple will support those Vista features and beat Microsoft to it when iPhone and new iTunes are released on June 29th.

These are just some of the basic things any smartphone users want to sync with their computer and clearly Microsoft fails with their Windows Mobile. Here is a response from someone in Microsoft to a user who asked how to Sync Vista Windows Contacts to PPC in Windows Mobile newsgroups.

Currently, WMDC does not support sycning of Windows Mail and Windows Contacts. It is something that the feature team is considering for future releases. Currently, WMDC only supports syncing of data with Outlook.

Microsoft and Windows Mobile we work if you PAY more for MORE Microsoft software.

I guess this article shows that WM doesn't work out of the box UNLESS you shell out $$$$ for mor MS software.

:confused: WM wont let me sync these things! Iphone doesn't either, but I hope it will soon??? WTF?

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
A stupid WM user I didn't think they exsisted Surur

His complaint is strange, as near every WM device ships with some for of outlook. A few dont recently, but the vast majority do. Maybe he's just stupid.

Surur

To read your post only stupid people out there are the ones who buy iPHONES.

Again your logic here is fallacious, Appeal to ridicule.

This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because mocking a claim does not show that it is false. This is especially clear in the following example: "1+1=2! That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard are you stupid!"

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site

Or...

You could just use Mail2web or 4smartphone --> Hosted Exchange, which gives you calendar, email, contacts and tasks all for free?

And being OWA, you can access it from any computer, anytime, anywhere. This is what I use.

You could also use Outlook 2003 which does come free with most WM5 devices, Sprint did this with the 6700 and 700wx (2007 seems to a pay program).

There is also GooSync which works with Google Calendar (free).

If you prefer Outlook Express (free with Windows) you could use the addon SyncExpress, which works very well (though it's $17.95).

Really though, when paying $600 + Tax for an iPhone, does anything really matter when it comes to price and savings?

Are you really making an argument for cost here? What does it matter if I'm still paying at least $200 less than an iPhone. A Moto Q is $75 with contract.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
To read your post only stupid people out there are the ones who buy iPHONES.

Again your logic here is fallacious, Appeal to ridicule.

This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because mocking a claim does not show that it is false. This is especially clear in the following example: "1+1=2! That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard are you stupid!"

Your argument is stupid.

His complaint is strange, as near every WM device ships with some form of outlook.

Why is he complaining again?

Surur

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site

With all the hype surrounding iPhone and after reading Apple’s get ready for iPhone page, I thought I will write how disappointed I am with my Windows Mobile phone (i-mate JASJAM running WM5) and Microsoft.

WMDC

Lets see how it syncs.

Ok wait, if I install Outlook, I can sync these simple things from my PC to my mobile. But Outlook is not a free program and I don’t care how much it costs. The most expensive Vista already comes with

1. Windows Contacts.
2. Windows Calendar.

iTunes won’t sync iPod calendar with Windows Calendar currently but I wont be surprised if they allow iPhone to sync with Windows Calendar.

WMDC is actually pretty darn good! I'm glad to see they finally fixed a lot of issues that existed before.

As for the the Outlook issue, you get that either free with some phones and many laptops. Maybe not the newest version, but it will work.

Windows Contacts and Calendar are not currently supported (does anyone read the specs before they jump into something?)

I the whole thing read like someone who hasn't used Windows/Office in a while.(and doesn't read, just assumes)

And he lives in Aussi-land and is an Apple Fanboy.

Shame on him for given the Austrailians a bad name ;-), but kudos to him for holding up the tardanic fanboy reasoning.

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
More failed logic Surur

Your argument is stupid.

His complaint is strange, as near every WM device ships with some form of outlook.

Why is he complaining again?

Surur

Ad Hominem Abusive, Your argument is stupid...is that your answer?

My how the mighty have fallen.

sxtg

Jun 7, 2004
Visit site
I reread the post and I still don't get it. The complainer says that WM wont sync PIM with his Vista and then counters by saying that the iPhone doesn't either yet seems to praise the iPhone because he "bets" they will soon.

This mentality that "the iPhone WILL be, so it IS" is a strange phenomenon to say the least...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods