10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Maybe they skimped on the RAM? I couldn't find RAM and processor specs on Apple's site. But the crashing makes me wonder. So where are those specs?

P.S. Why are we the only 2 in this thread, LOL???

Scott R

Oct 29, 2001
tapland.com
I get a chuckle out of some of the usability things. Apple has this reputation for great usability, but I don't think it's well deserved. Jobs likes eye-candy. And he equates good usability with minimalist hardware design. He's still never caved into adding a second button to his mice.

I read something recently that indicated that several Apple folks tried to convince him to put more buttons on the iPhone but he held firm. I also read someone happily state that the iPhone didn't have any menus. Is that really a good thing? The funny thing is, even they know that some level of customization is needed for the built-in apps. So now instead of doing that via a menu option within the app, you've got to go to a central "control panel" from the home screen to access configuration settings for all of the apps. Sounds like a menu to me...it's just not located conveniently. And what about non-configuration less-commonly-used app features? Well, these are "handled" in one of two ways: 1) Some sort of finger stroke reveals them (e.g., to bring up the delete button on a contact), which is clever, or 2) They're simply left out (which is more often the case).

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
music crashes frequently while browsing and some

I think the music crashing was only occurring on certain sites - digg and tuaw so far.

A repeatable bug i found while trying to ppst a comment ontuaw was that typing response was sluggish and pressing delete multiple times in sucession caused the delete button to get "stuck" and delete the entire field. Weird. This hasn't happened here.

And the music just crashed again. It happened when I rotated from horizontal to vertical i think.

And sometimes tje spell fixing doesnt work.

Have any of these things happened to anybody else?

Have any of these things happened to anybody else?

Yes. Just look around the net at the iPhone forums. It's a little bit of a mess.

The phones are locking up in just about every mode. Often a full reset helps, but sometimes not. And Jobs is worried about third party software making it unstable? He should've given them away to his employees months ago so he could get things fixed.

The biggest deal appears to be with WiFi. Secure nets require some twiddling to get working.

Ah, the thrill of being first in line with new gear.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=322394

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Maybe they skimped on the RAM? I couldn't find RAM and processor specs on Apple's site. But the crashing makes me wonder. So where are those specs?

As I said a long time ago, I'm sure the device is RAM constrained - what mobile device isn't? I'm sure aggressive memory management is causing any of these Itunes crashes while browsing the web.

P.S. Why are we the only 2 in this thread, LOL???

We may be the only ones posting, but many people are reading.

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Security glitch found with iPhone - thief will run up your bill

Looks like a passcode ain't going to stop a thief from running up your bill. Aparently I just discovered that if you have a passcode on your iPhone, like I do, and you click the Emergency Call tab before entering your passcode you can dial any number you'd like, not just emergency 911. I hope Apple patches this.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3845930#post3845930

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
EDGE - Only for email! :(

Well, EDGE is *great* at email. No problems.

However, I find the web and even the maps pretty disappointing. It's ok for that 1 time a month you *have* to find something now. Otherwise, I think the Safari portion isn't too useful, unless you're at home on wifi and then you have computer.

For email though, iphone and edge are great, but that isn't exactly 21st century.

I'm a little disappointed. I love apple stuff, but this thing is just ok so far.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3846121#post3846121

Apparently you cant switch of pictures on the iPhone browser either.

Surur

Scott R

Oct 29, 2001
tapland.com
I opined yestersday as to how useful an iPhone-focused forum would be. Because the device is fairly closed and un-customizable, what would there be for iPhone users to talk about? Showing off photos they had taken?

But reading this thread reminds me of something I totally forgot about and demonstrates why an iPhone-focused forum can still be successful: it will be a place for people to come together to help eachother troubleshoot the bugs they're experiencing.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I opined yestersday as to how useful an iPhone-focused forum would be. Because the device is fairly closed and un-customizable, what would there be for iPhone users to talk about? Showing off photos they had taken?

But reading this thread reminds me of something I totally forgot about and demonstrates why an iPhone-focused forum can still be successful: it will be a place for people to come together to help eachother troubleshoot the bugs they're experiencing.

Seeing as you cant modify the device in any way I think thats rather pointless. They have to wait on the great Steve in the sky to fix it.

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Originally Posted by smash
2. Why can't I do [obvious task]?
Numerous times I've run into problems with not being able to do very simple tasks... the iPhone's simplicity actually makes it MORE complicated.

~~ Example:
I got an e-mail from a company I'd ordered car parts from concerning an issue I'd had, they asked me to take a photo. I jumped at the opportunity to test out the phone's camera (yay!) and was pleased with the quality. I then went back to the Mail section (after taking the picture) and clicked 'Reply', wrote a short note, then went to attach the picture. Wait... you CAN'T ATTACH THE PICTURE! There's no option, since there's no visible file-system.

I then back-tracked to return to the 'Camera' section via the Main menu... clicked the icon I assumed was 'Send this photo' (there are no popup 'text-tool-tips' to help you [as far as I know], so you can only guess what certain buttons do if they're vaguely represented by their icons) and was presented with options to either 'Use as Wallpaper', 'Email Photo' (ding ding ding!), or 'Assign to Contact' -- which I'm sure will sync with your Address Book back to your Mac, very cool.

After choosing the E-mail option, I was presented with a blank message, not including his e-mail address or any of what I'd typed before. Of course he's not in my Address Book, so I had to go back to the Mail section, write his e-mail address on my hand (since you can't copy and paste??) with a PEN.... analog style (wtf!!), then type it in manually into that new message with a new subject. Is this a joke? How is that productive at all... shame on you Apple.
How do you send multiple photo attachments in an email then, if the only way to email a photo is by going to the photo app and selecting a photo and clicking email?

Some of your complaints such as this one are very valid and I hope Apple does something to fix them.

By biggest gripes are the lack of bluetooth syncing, no file manager, no MMS, and if what you're saying is true how you can't just add attachments like you can in every other mail app then that sucks too.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3846383#post3846383

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I am probably in the minority, but I'm really not crazy about my iPhone and here's why - the keyboard sucks. I don't have big fingers and I'm having a hell of a time typing on the thing. two thumbs for me definately isn't working. I have to use a single finger and even then at the far edges of the keyboard it's a crapshoot.

Sure, the thing has the "wow" factor. I took it with me last night to a local pub and people couldn't keep their hands off it. I'm just not sure it's going to replace my Blackberry Pearl for me right now, especially not at the price. It may go back soon, I'm just not sure - going to give it more time. It's freaking beautiful though, I will give apple credit, it is an amazing device, I'm just not sure that it will suit my needs. I'm not happy with the speed of Edge either.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3846742&postcount=33

Surur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member