The Eten looks interesting, except thats its $900 and has a really terrible looking dpad/joystick. Also, without a usable on screen keyboard how are you suppose to type?
    See, the Eten's high end features, (including the supper high dpi screen) has moved it out of your price range. Thats the effect that HTC has been trying to avoid.

How do you know how much extra a high-res. screen will cost? I doubt your numbers. I will try to find the link, but somebody broke down an iPhone and found it only cost about $300 (maybe less), to build.
    pdaparts sells the iPhone screen for $139. It sells refurbished VGA screens for the Dell X50v for $119, and refurbished QVGA Dell screens for $89. Of note however is that Dell is notorious for using cheaper screens. The Hp IPAQ 4700 had a much higher quality screen, and probably costs significantly more.

Surur
    08-03-2007 01:14 PM
    I'm sorry Surur, but the Universal is way to big to use as a cellphone. When somebody calls you, you actually have to open that thing up to see who is calling. I dont get how anybody could use this as their phone.
    It was my only phone for at least 15 months. I understand some-one invented bluetooth, and that some bluetooth headsets have displays. Great inventions, those.

Surur
    08-03-2007 01:18 PM
    It was my only phone for at least 15 months. I understand some-one invented bluetooth, and that some bluetooth headsets have displays. Great inventions, those.

Surur

First of all, I am not a fan of bluetooth.

Second of all, are you telling me, when your phone rings, you take out your bluetooth headset, look at the number on the id, put it back into your ear, and then answer the call? Is this you system? That stinks. no thanks.

Strange that my wifes palm tx didn't cost $900. My old zodiac didn't cost $900, my iPhone didn't cost $900. They all have high-res. screens.
    08-03-2007 01:22 PM
    I think Ollie was just bored with his iPhone and wanted a new toy. Of course he probably wouldn't admit that
    whatever to you too. and it was you who just labeled the HTC Mogul "a toy."
    08-03-2007 01:26 PM
    First of all, I am not a fan of bluetooth.

Second of all, are you telling me, when your phone rings, you take out your bluetooth headset, look at the number on the id, put it back into your ear, and then answer the call? Is this you system? That stinks. no thanks.
    VS The phone rings, you take out your iPhone, look at the screen, answer the call, and then put it to your ear. I dont really see the difference. Is it the difference between the display resolutions?

Strange that my wifes palm tx didn't cost $900. My old zodiac didn't cost $900, my iPhone didn't cost $900. They all have high-res. screens.
    But the Palm Z2 only cost $100, vs $400 for a T5 for example. Some of that is the screen.

Surur
    08-03-2007 01:29 PM
    All devices including the iPhone are toys if you don't need them and you just buy them "because you can"
    08-03-2007 01:33 PM
    VS The phone rings, you take out your iPhone, look at the screen, answer the call, and then put it to your ear. I dont really see the difference. Is it the difference between the display resolutions?
    I wonder which system most people in the world use? If your way was so much better, than wouldn't most people be doing that. I hate bluetooth headsets. They are uncomfortable, and do not sound as good as using the regular earpiece. I could never use a device that I needed to rely on a bluetooth headset to identify contacts on incoming calls. How small are those little screens anyway?

But the Palm Z2 only cost $100, vs $400 for a T5 for example. Some of that is the screen.
    $400 vs $900 is still a large difference.
    08-03-2007 01:34 PM
    You must not live in an area where you can get pulled over for using a cell phone. BT headsets are a necessity if you drive in Chicago.
    08-03-2007 01:38 PM
    You must not live in an area where you can get pulled over for using a cell phone. BT headsets are a necessity if you drive in Chicago.
    I'm going to quote Ellen Degeneres here. "Anything that requires two hands to do, your brain should be in on it too".

I don't make calls when I drive.
    08-03-2007 01:41 PM
    I wonder which system most people in the world use? If your way was so much better, than wouldn't most people be doing that. I hate bluetooth headsets. They are uncomfortable, and do not sound as good as using the regular earpiece. I could never use a device that I needed to rely on a bluetooth headset to identify contacts on incoming calls. How small are those little screens anyway?
    Bluetooth headsets are not unpopular, you know. In fact, its the only bluetooth device the iPhone can use.

Surur
    08-03-2007 01:45 PM
    Bluetooth headsets are not unpopular, you know. In fact, its the only bluetooth device the iPhone can use.

Surur
    Thats one more than I want to use.

Never said they were unpopular, just not the most popular way to use a cellphone.
    08-03-2007 01:47 PM
    I'm going to quote Ellen Degeneres here. "Anything that requires two hands to do, your brain should be in on it too".

I don't make calls when I drive.

That's a good point.
    08-03-2007 01:49 PM
    I would also question the relevance of a super high resolution screen on a cell phone or business orientated device.

Sure it "looks nice" (cool, sweet, etc.) and in general I'm okay if a device offers a high resolution screen, but at the end of the day most cell phones/smartphones do not need a high resolution screen.
    Interesting, your posted this on another forum.....
    I think the Kaiser is really a great device. The camera is fantastic and the specs are all there (could use a higher rez screen though).
    You seem to wanted a higher res. screen here.
    08-03-2007 01:51 PM
    Thats one more than I want to use.

Never said they were unpopular, just not the most popular way to use a cellphone.
    I think, in general, phones are getting bigger. There was a time when they were getting smaller, but with the multimedia impetus devices are now thinner, but larger. This has made bluetooth more popular again.

The iPhone is part of this trend, but the Nokia N95 is not exactly a small phone either, and neither is the LG Shine, Chocolate, MotoRzir etc.

Surur
    08-03-2007 01:55 PM
    All devices including the iPhone are toys if you don't need them and you just buy them "because you can"
    yes Mal, once again you're right.
    08-03-2007 02:07 PM
    I think, in general, phones are getting bigger. There was a time when they were getting smaller, but with the multimedia impetus devices are now thinner, but larger. This has made bluetooth more popular again.

The iPhone is part of this trend, but the Nokia N95 is not exactly a small phone either, and neither is the LG Shine, Chocolate, MotoRzir etc.

Surur
    perhaps, but the universal is way beyond the acceptable size limit of a cell phone.
    08-03-2007 02:18 PM
    perhaps, but the universal is way beyond the acceptable size limit of a cell phone.
    In UK it was actually moderately popular, and if you were in a mall you stood a good chance seeing 2-3 (when being held up to the face they were pretty distinctive )

Surur
    08-03-2007 02:29 PM
    Sure, anything is a toy when a kid plays with it.
    08-03-2007 02:34 PM
    Sure, anything is a toy when a kid plays with it.
    yep, spinning, derision, redirection....what you're all so good at. oh, and of course, hypocrisy.
    08-03-2007 02:47 PM
    (when being held up to the face they were pretty distinctive )

Surur
    I bet.

Never released in the U.S. Can't see it being popular here.
    08-03-2007 03:32 PM
    yep, spinning, derision, redirection....what you're all so good at. oh, and of course, hypocrisy.
    You take everything way too seriously.

BTW, my latest toys are Legos My son is 5 so I'm playing legos constantly.

Why people can't deal with something they play with being called a toy is weird to me. My Treo is sometimes a toy, and sometimes a business device. I don't care if someone calls it a toy.
    08-03-2007 03:43 PM

Why people can't deal with something they play with being called a toy is weird to me. My Treo is sometimes a toy, and sometimes a business device. I don't care if someone calls it a toy.
    My Universal is a tool, my HTC Touch is a toy.

Surur
    08-03-2007 04:04 PM

yes, we take it all too seriously when you're joking and we're too lighthearted when your genuinely serious. funny how it works that way.
    08-03-2007 04:36 PM
    yes, we take it all too seriously when you're joking and we're too lighthearted when your genuinely serious. funny how it works that way.
    When have I accused you of being lighthearted? You live in a world of illusions! (as do we all)
    08-03-2007 05:03 PM
    first 3rd party gui application on iPhone: Terminal

that's gui as in non-web-app

08-03-2007 06:17 PM
3,194 ... 9394959697 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD