10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Just like iTunes has grown and become more, such is the path of Safari and such.

Apple is creating/growing the "platform on the platform", so they can rule it all.
I'm uncomfortable with this approach;

Apple realizes that this layer will eventually become good enough to displace native personal computer apps.
But Apple and Google seem keen on it.

It just seems a way to kill bandwidth though as if Youtube is doing that enough...

I would rather a hybrid approach: native apps that access some information, like concerted RSS readers. But that's me...

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
because you think so?

I think that while the numbers appear low it's important to remember that activations while important don't equal sales.

Because of their historical record.

I can show you countless examples of analyst of completely blowing it, predicting things (based on their "in-depth" research) that turned out to be so wrong it wasn't even funny.

I thought no was buying "unactivated" iPhones :). So activations to me = true users.

I am sure Apple is spinning their numbers as we speak, so that they look a lot better. It's not like they haven't weaseled before before (ex. backdating scandal).

Now, as I have stated, we need to get the data for all of July to get an indication of the numbers.

But still, no one predicted 150K in that first weekend...it was all in the 500K to 1M range. Reality sucks for fanboys.

The real question is this - after the uptake in July, will the growth continue a the hyped pace? Will they hit the 18 month mark?

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
^ right, right.

that's funny, all of the analysts i know get paid lots and lots of money for being right more times than being wrong.

hey, thanks for your "lesson" though.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
^ right, right.

that's funny, all of the analysts i know get paid lots and lots of money for being right more times than being wrong.

hey, thanks for your "lesson" though.

Analysts are provably wrong more often than they are right. A study done a few years ago showed that the majority of stocks (i forget the number. something like 75 or 80%) get "outperform" ratings by analysts.

In other words, the consensus analyst opinion is that 3/4 of stocks will do better than the average stock. Think about it.

treobk214

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
Mikec,

While you mention reality sucks,
I'd say it sucks pretty hard for PALM fanboys in general. The past 3 years have been pretty embarrassing for the company on many levels.

In apple's case, the 150 - 200,000 sold spans over just the past few weeks on one SINGLE carrier - which is pretty darn good. I'd say the 400 - 500,000 number might well be achieved within the year, which is reasonable. However everyone wants all the results to happen right away or else they consider a prediction to be a failure. The usual suspects here can't wait to jump at every opportunity to do so. This is a case in point. Give it 6-12 months, and those predictions will probably come pretty close.

I'm curious. What were PALM's predictions before each successive product? If any were made, how close did THEY come I wonder, despite being available on MANY different carriers?

I think the reality of THAT probably sucks a great deal more in the scheme of things..

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
This thread is about Apple though, not Palm, correct? I doubt few here would disagree Palm has been disappointing us over the last few years. Are there any 'fanboys' left really?

treobk214

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
....and particularly since RIMM is consistently beating the living daylights out of palm in general in the corporate market.

Amusingly, that's the very sector palm was going after with their "business" smartphones. They've failed miserably when you compare the prevalence of blackberries to treos in the corporate arena.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
But Apple and Google seem keen on it.
Not just Apple and Google but Microsoft and others too according to Michael Mace:

If in the future we're in a situation where the apps can run on any device via the browser, the traditional OS companies lose most of their power. This cuts the heart out of Microsoft -- and it does something similar to Apple as well.

I think Apple's action is an example of a company that depends on the OS-centric model trying to prepare itself for the Web-centric world. The other competitors working this issue include:

--Microsoft Silverlight
--Adobe Apollo (or whatever they call it these days)
--What Sun is trying to do with Java
--Firefox 3's offline apps support
--Maybe Google Gears (although it's pretty rudimentary at the moment)
--And now maybe Apple with Safari
Interesting that there's OS X and Windows versions of both Safari and Silverlight. Is Linux the common enemy?

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Mikec,

While you mention reality sucks,
I'd say it sucks pretty hard for PALM fanboys in general. The past 3 years have been pretty embarrassing for the company on many levels.

In apple's case, the 150 - 200,000 sold spans over just the past few weeks on one SINGLE carrier - which is pretty darn good. I'd say the 400 - 500,000 number might well be achieved within the year, which is reasonable. However everyone wants all the results to happen right away or else they consider a prediction to be a failure. The usual suspects here can't wait to jump at every opportunity to do so. This is a case in point. Give it 6-12 months, and those predictions will probably come pretty close.

I'm curious. What were PALM's predictions before each successive product? If any were made, how close did THEY come I wonder, despite being available on MANY different carriers?

I think the reality of THAT probably sucks a great deal more in the scheme of things..

This thread is about Apple though, not Palm, correct? I doubt few here would disagree Palm has been disappointing us over the last few years. Are there any 'fanboys' left really?

....and particularly since RIMM is consistently beating the living daylights out of palm in general in the corporate market.

Amusingly, that's the very sector palm was going after with their "business" smartphones. They've failed miserably when you compare the prevalence of blackberries to treos in the corporate arena.

I must say you're consistent treobk214...this thread was going good until you started to drag it back into the same old "but Palm" cliche. This thread is in the "other handhelds" and is not about Palm..there are plenty of those on the main boards. It's not a thread about RIMM either unless it directly affects why the iPhone may stink or not (see the OP). Can you try and not to meander so for the sake of continuity (unless your aim is to garbage the thread) - all we'll end up with is the usual tired posts on Palm, the Foleo etc rather than the discussion on apple's new product!

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Analysts are provably wrong more often than they are right. A study done a few years ago showed that the majority of stocks (i forget the number. something like 75 or 80%) get "outperform" ratings by analysts.

In other words, the consensus analyst opinion is that 3/4 of stocks will do better than the average stock. Think about it.

yes, and? are you saying that "most" equity analysts are proven wrong? placing an "outperform" on the majority of stocks years ago would have been a great bet up to now.

i still want to see a report saying that most equity analysts are "wrong." that was the posters claim.

as for stock picking contests (dart-throwers), they're hardly testament.

Kupe, you have no clue.

back to the iPhone....we want to keep this thread "on topic." lets see what Apple has to say today

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
But still, no one predicted 150K in that first weekend...it was all in the 500K to 1M range. Reality sucks for fanboys.

People were predicting 1 million sold within the first 30 hours? Thats how long AT&Ts and Apples Quarter lasted for initial sales. Would that even be possible? Did they even have the stock to sell 1 million in the first day and a half? I doubt it. 146,000 activations over 30 hours sounds pretty good to me. I think a weeks worth of sales will be a better indicator, but I'm not even sure we will find that out with Apples announcement.

MikeC is licking his chops to pounce on any Apple bad news (typical for him), but maybe a little bit of common sense should prevail here. Lets wait for Apples numbers before you can call the launch a failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox