I think Wall street is reacting more to the 33% rise in mac sales and 22% rise in Ipod sales, than the IPhone sales of 1 million per quarter projected (which is about what Palm sells).

Surur
    If you think the stock would have taken off with any bad iPhone news, then you are crazy.
    07-25-2007 07:05 PM
    If you think the stock would have taken off with any bad iPhone news, then you are crazy.
    Its impossible to have bad iHope news until after the point of sale. I dont think any sales reports are disclosing the returns. It will be the next quarter profits that tell what the public thinks of the iHope.
    07-25-2007 07:08 PM
    Iphones making their way into the office. :

Ahhhh.. The future`s lookin bright...

)--In what amounts to a warning shot at Research in Motion Inc. (RIMM), Apple Inc. (AAPL) said Wednesday that businesses are expressing an interest in outfitting their work forces with iPhones. So far, about 270,000 of the Apple's combination cellphone, music player and Internet cruising device have been sold. A large percentage have been purchased for use as personal phones. But as Oppenheimer alluded to Wednesday, now corporations, which generally favor RIM's Blackberry device, are also taking an interest in the device. "We already have a number of corporate customers that are piloting the iPhone," said Apple Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer. "They have told us they're very happy with the results so far." Also Wednesday, Apple tried to set aside fears that sales of the iPhone, which contains a music player, is cannibalizing sales of Apple's iPod, which is a standalone digital music player. Oppenheimer said there was "absolutely no evidence" that was happening....
    07-25-2007 07:08 PM
    iPhone news is only moderately good. Its nowhere close to those breathless projections made over the launch weekend. Wasn't Apple supposed to have already sold a million iPhones in the launch week?

Surur
    07-25-2007 07:14 PM
    Iphones making their way into the office. :

Ahhhh.. The future`s lookin bright...

http://custom.marketwatch.com/custom/tdameritrade-com/html-story.asp?guid={0392e8c0-b6dc-4ac4-8fc5-88a42db788eb}
    I wonder how the iPhone now being completely hacked will influence those decisions.
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/25/i...s-have-opened/

Surur
    07-25-2007 07:17 PM
    I think Wall street is reacting more to the 33% rise in mac sales and 22% rise in Ipod sales, than the IPhone sales of 1 million per quarter projected (which is about what Palm sells).

Surur
    Its about what what Palm sells? lol. Treos are available on numerous carriers WORLDWIDE and they MAYBE match the iphone sales from only one single carrier over just a the past few weeks? That` s pathetic.

The iphone is putting the treo to shame.
    07-25-2007 07:23 PM
    270,000 sold in the first 30 hours. Most stores (maybe all) completely out of stock by Sunday night. The sounds very impressive to me. It must almost be fairly impressive to Wall Street as their stock is up over 4 in after hours trading. One thing is certain, MikeC shouldnt give up his day job do to product sales analysis.

Here are some of his highlights

and my favorite...

*Edit - Stock is up over 11 points in after hour trading. Guess the Street loved those number after all.

I never said I was analyst...I don't try to predict the market, only observe it.

My statements we accurate at the time they were stated.

The Street is repsonding to the 1M by 9/30 and target for 2008, not the 270K.

And quite frankly, I think are including online orders in that, so again it's high, but not insane high. that accounts for the discrepancy with the AT&T numbers. (my view).

They sold very well. 270K is a rational number, unlike the 2x-3x higher predictions.
    07-25-2007 07:23 PM
    I wonder how the iPhone now being completely hacked will influence those decisions.
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/25/i...s-have-opened/

Surur

Cool your engines. Apple is reportedly due to release a patch in the coming weeks, just like microsoft has done in the past with security issues, surur.

From a business standpoint, I would think windows users are quite accustomed to operating systems being completely vulnerable to hackers, worms, viruses and the like by now. Has that hurt microsoft`s sales in the workplace?
    07-25-2007 07:28 PM

Surur
    iPhone news is only moderately good. Its nowhere close to those breathless projections made over the launch weekend. Wasn't Apple supposed to have already sold a million iPhones in the launch week?

Surur
    270,000 sales in 30 hours isnt very good? When did Apple ever state they would sell 1 million units in a week?
    07-25-2007 07:29 PM
    Observe the headlines. The iPhone hardly features, except to say "Forget the iPhone." This surge is due to Apple's other business.

Apple 3Q Profit Surges More Than 73 Pct.
    AP (Wed 7:13pm)
    Apple quarterly profit rises on Mac strength
    Reuters (Wed 7:06pm)
    [$$] Boeing, Amazon Pace Stock Gains
    at The Wall Street Journal Online (Wed 7:06pm)
    [$$] Apple Earnings Surge 73% On Strong iPod, Mac Sales
    at The Wall Street Journal Online (Wed 6:45pm)
    [audio] Andrew O'Day's Money Markets & More for July 26 [4.2 min]
    at MarketWatch (Wed 6:44pm)
    Apple profit surges 73% on strong Mac, iPod sales
    at MarketWatch (Wed 6:39pm)
    Business Highlights
    AP (Wed 6:12pm)
    [$$] Stocks Advance, Overcoming Nerves
    at The Wall Street Journal Online (Wed 6:07pm)
    Wall Street pulls off a winner
    at CNNMoney.com (Wed 6:04pm)
    Forget The iPhone
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=aapl

Surur
    07-25-2007 07:30 PM
    270,000 sales in 30 hours isnt very good? When did Apple ever state they would sell 1 million units in a week?
    Why did Apple have to say it? The analysts were far from shy in saying the same. And remember that they did not sell out in those 30 hours. People could walk in on Saturday and just buy one without any queues. That 270 000 could be the present peak in demand.

Surur
    07-25-2007 07:33 PM
    No one ever said that Apple said that.

That was from here:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/07/...startNumber=20

But I posted that earlier today; obviously you don't read the posts.
    07-25-2007 07:33 PM

Surur
    Unless I missed something, that 1 million number is for the FIRST quarter, not "per quarter." Presumably they expect a ramp, so matching palm in their first quarter of sales would be pretty impressive.
    07-25-2007 07:37 PM
    No one ever said that Apple said that.

That was from here:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/07/...startNumber=20

But I posted that earlier today; obviously you don't read the posts.
    After seeing how factually incorrect they were yesterday, i stopped reading most of them.
    07-25-2007 07:43 PM
    Why did Apple have to say it? The analysts were far from shy in saying the same. And remember that they did not sell out in those 30 hours. People could walk in on Saturday and just buy one without any queues. That 270 000 could be the present peak in demand.

Surur
    Perhaps, but by the end of the weekend, almost every apple store and AT&T store were out of stock. Not bad for a $600 device locked to one carrier.

To make something a success, does it have to completely sell out in 30 hours. Could it be the apple was smart enough to have supply equal demand?
    07-25-2007 07:47 PM
    I never said I was analyst...I don't try to predict the market, only observe it.

The Street is repsonding to the 1M by 9/30 and target for 2008, not the 270K.
    You should read your first sentence, before making your second sentence.
    07-25-2007 07:49 PM
    After seeing how factually incorrect they were yesterday, i stopped reading most of them.
    Then this one will really tickle you.

IPhone sales/traffic SLOW and 3G in November-CIBC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I observed this last week at my local Apple store and posted here but it seemed my store was the exception at the time but according to the research report from CIBC it is becoming more common:

"Based on our store checks, we believe that demand for the iPhone has seen a significant decline in the past 10 days," analyst Ittai Kidron told clients. "We have noticed decent inventories at stores, and thin demand at best. In fact, most Apple store visitors were not looking at the device and only a very small subset bought it."

Which is what I saw - nobody even looking at the IPhone but buying/looking at Macs like crazy.

Additionally, the CIBC report says that 3G is coming fast. . .like NOVEMBER:

Given the weakness in demand, the analyst said he wouldn't be surprised to see AT&T and Apple step up their marketing efforts around iPhone in the near future. He added that "checks suggest Apple is actually looking to introduce a 3G version of the iPhone for the U.S. market in November, ahead of the holiday season and earlier than currently expected."
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._in_cards.html
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=3337

Surur
    07-25-2007 07:50 PM
    Yet you repsonded to them?

Sounds like your thought process is "retar...", well, I don't want to start that one again...
    07-25-2007 07:50 PM
    Perhaps, but by the end of the weekend, almost every apple store and AT&T store were out of stock. Not bad for a $600 device locked to one carrier.

To make something a success, does it have to completely sell out in 30 hours. Could it be the apple was smart enough to have supply equal demand?
    That is just not true. There were plenty left after the initial surge. There was a slowdown mid-week, and then the second shipments arrived. People around here have no problem getting an iPhone if they want it.

As for a success, I don't think anyone disputes it was a successful launch
    (although not up to the hyped level predicted).
    07-25-2007 07:53 PM

Therefore 6 months of pent up demand = 270 000? And after selling 270 000 in one day they expect it to settle down to 8000 per day for the next 3 months?

Surur
    07-25-2007 07:53 PM
    You should read your first sentence, before making your second sentence.

I thought you didn't read my posts?

Observation and comment. You should really take up the English language and comprehension. It would make serving those fries more exciting for ya.
    07-25-2007 07:56 PM
    Therefore 6 months of pent up demand = 270 000? And after selling 270 000 in one day they expect it to settle down to 8000 per day for the next 3 months?

Surur
    Exactly...there was huge demand ahead of the release...but if it's not sustained, it doesn't matter.

I would agree with thier view. The local Apple Stores here are not selling as many iPhones as they did in past weeks. (at least according to the person there I spoke with today.)
    07-25-2007 07:59 PM
    Then this one will really tickle you.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=3337

Surur
    A CIBC analyst goes into an apple store and sees few people looking at the iphone displays and uses this as a partial basis for saying iphone sales are slowing. If this isn't proof enough why nobody should listen to these guys, then nothing is.
    07-25-2007 09:16 PM
    Exactly...there was huge demand ahead of the release...but if it's not sustained, it doesn't matter.

I would agree with thier view. The local Apple Stores here are not selling as many iPhones as they did in past weeks. (at least according to the person there I spoke with today.)

Well thats good enough for me. MikeC goes into an apple store and is told iphone sales are slowing. Do you work for CIBC?
    07-25-2007 09:17 PM
    I thought you didn't read my posts?

Observation and comment. You should really take up the English language and comprehension. It would make serving those fries more exciting for ya.
    Nice mature response. Of course you totally avoided the implication that you have no idea why the stock went up today.
    07-25-2007 09:19 PM
3,194 ... 6566676869 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD