T.Go to the links that surru has posted and read read read. You will find 90% of the negative feed back is from the iphone user.
    And that differs from treocentral exactly how ? Aren't most of the threads here "My Treo won't do this", "Treo is dead", "Goodbye Treo", "My Treo crashes". How easy we forget. When the 650 came out, what were most of the threads talking about. Hell, one had to buy volume care just to be able to hear anyone, yeah....geez a phone which you can't hear people, what a product by comparison ! Remember the Palm SD card giveaway cause as delivered people couldn't fit anything on its new file system.

As a Treo user I am well aware of its faults. Every phone out there has faults. These faults are most common soon after its release. What's that old adage about throwing the first stone ? How many of us would be willing to live with our Treos w/o the 3 system upgrades, an SD card, Volume care, Crash and all the other little doodads it to to make it a devices we were happy with....well acceptably happy with ?
    07-22-2007 01:18 PM
    I have no problem with you posting in genuine responses to the issues raised here against the iPhone. If someone complains that the email doesn't work well enough and you have a response to address that, fine. No troll.

But when you ignore the argument and instead of addressing the iPhone's shortcomings you post a list of gripes people have with WM or Treos or anything else, it's called misdirection, and it's trolling.
    My mistake for ever coming back here after a year. No change whatsoever. You don't answer any questions except to cry "troll" and you know my posting was a direct response and raised the question of whether posting miles of iPhone forum complaints is any more reason to avoid iPhone than countless complaining about your precious Treo.

Adis children. Hopefully some day the wild dog pack around here will get its collective heads out of the sand (or wherever it is they keep them) and realize their feckless opinions are only as valid as the means with which they defend them.

Your record as gutless wonders is unblemished. But just for once try to explain why Surur's posts (another half dozen since my alleged "trolling") of miles of iPhone complainers is a more valid argument against the iPhone than the countless threads in this forum pointing out the defects of the entire Treo line. There are far more than 10 things that absolutely suck about any converged device.

My bet is the only response will be more howls of "trolling" and maybe even deleting this post...Fire away...gone for good...
    07-22-2007 01:26 PM
    800 words again! Your post is too long to read, but I would be surprised if any of our bricks ever impressed the ladies. They are not fashion phones like the iPhone.
    You have a future in politics.

1, You never answer the question
    2. You have no response to any points raised in the posts you respond to.
    3. You try and divert attention away from the fact that you have no counterpoint to any fact shown to be undebatable.
    4. You complain about post lengths when you routinely double the length of the ones you complain about. The post you complain about (1235) takes up one screen on my laptop. The one above (1234) by you required me to scroll down 11 times to view.

So yes, complain about my post length when the one above you made is 11 times longer. Then again why not, the length complaint is as unsupportable as your comments. Tell me again, specifically ... why did you need to quote my entire post if you weren't going to address even one statement contained in that quote ?
    07-22-2007 01:26 PM
    My wife is being treated for brain cancer. I suppose you have better suggestions for how I spend my time between doctor visits.
    Best of luck with the treatment.
    07-22-2007 01:27 PM
    Hell, one had to buy volume care just to be able to hear anyone, yeah....geez a phone which you can't hear people, what a product by comparison !

At least you can install volumecare. Poor iPhone users are stuck waiting for an update.

- My quest for more volume update

clayk 07-18-2007 08:36 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My quest for more volume update

I thought I would post an update on my speakerphone volume issue. I arranged for Apple to send me a loaner. It arrived today. I have a sound level meter so I took some measurements. My current ringtone is Old Phone. At maximum volume the speaker puts out 89 db. I then called time and temperature, set the speakerphone to max volume and it measured 66 db.

The loaner phone from Apple measures exactly the same. So I am now skeptical that the volume can be increased, but I am still hopeful. I will test the fixed phone when it returns and post the results.

On a side note, I convinced Apple to waive the $29 fee for the loaner. It took a while, but I just kept talking (very politely of course) pointing out that it was a bad policy and they finally relented.

I also tested the sound level of my old Razr. Ringtone was 98db and speakerphone was 88db.

clayk 07-20-2007 10:30 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got my phone back this morning. They really just sent me a new one. It is a bit louder. Ringtone was 97 db (up from 89db) and speaker phone was 78db.

Clay

FreeState 07-20-2007 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clayk (Post 3941991)
    I got my phone back this morning. They really just sent me a new one. It is a bit louder. Ringtone was 97 db (up from 89db) and speaker phone was 78db.

Clay

So the speaker phone went down?

Julien 07-20-2007 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clayk (Post 3941991)

Clay

What is the distance of measurement, sound meter brand, A or C weighted and room parameters?

clayk 07-20-2007 03:03 PM

The volume of the speaker phone went up, from 69 to 78

The distance was very close, about 10 inches. I kept it the same distance on both tests. I realize that is much closer than you would use the phone, but I am comparing Apples to Apples. The room was fairly quiet, the radio shack meter I used registered 54 db background noise. The weighting was set on "C" but I have no idea what that means.

Clay
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=331444

Surur
    07-22-2007 01:28 PM
    Agreed (except I hate when people use the word "retards").
    My reference was to a previous quote where the word was used to indicate the iPhone user. It was done so to indicate the the irrationality behind the vehemence of those attacking iPhone users. I would apologize to anyone who took offense for repeating it.
    07-22-2007 01:31 PM
    Regarding the lack of support for WAV attachments, one of the beautiful things about OS X on the the desktop is the integration and access to all your media throughout all the native applications. Sadly this same integration didn't make it into the iPhone. I was really hoping for this as it makes it so much easier to use your media effectively.

The thing is with 3rd party support all the shortcomings of the device could have been resolved. I bet you would see the majority of them address already actually. That's just sad, so much potential, it's like a speed-limited Ferrari.
    07-22-2007 01:32 PM
    And that differs from treocentral exactly how ? Aren't most of the threads here "My Treo won't do this", "Treo is dead", "Goodbye Treo", "My Treo crashes". How easy we forget. When the 650 came out, what were most of the threads talking about. Hell, one had to buy volume care just to be able to hear anyone, yeah....geez a phone which you can't hear people, what a product by comparison ! Remember the Palm SD card giveaway cause as delivered people couldn't fit anything on its new file system.

As a Treo user I am well aware of its faults. Every phone out there has faults. These faults are most common soon after its release. What's that old adage about throwing the first stone ? How many of us would be willing to live with our Treos w/o the 3 system upgrades, an SD card, Volume care, Crash and all the other little doodads it to to make it a devices we were happy with....well acceptably happy with ?
    I don't come across alot of threads /WM palm-WX that users are chatting about not having the features needed.A2dp was the big complaint but my friend hannip made that available hacking into the Verizon wx
    .I think this comes down to the basics Jack.The future phone does not live up to it's blue ribbon so many users are finding out when viewing links that surur has provided.
    I'm sure it's helped many that were thinking of going ipod phone make there decision.
    This is a really great thread with no bull...just great lnks to real life iphone users post.
    We must not forget about the Apple fan boys that post in the thread as well.We can only hope that there denial of facts will end.
    07-22-2007 01:40 PM
    As for you playground response you desire, I'll pass; I'm sure you are all too familiar with playgrounds from your own lonely past. Don't involve me in your imaginary conversations.
    Pass ? ....you did no such thing. A "playground response" is when you ignore everything that was said and make an unrelated response, usually in insult in a vain attempt to address the loss of pride in losing an argument.

"The basket doesn't count because your foot stepped outta bounds before ya shot". "Er....em..... ya mother dresses you funny"... or....."you have a lonely past."

You did it, again, in exemplary form.

And just to again address the lack of logic on that sentence. A playground is a place where numbers of children gather. Hard to be lonely in a group of kids. The lonely child was the one inside playing with his atari.....when that kid grew up, he replaced his atari with a smartphone and used it to try and get people to notice him.
    07-22-2007 01:47 PM
    Best of luck with the treatment.
    While I appreciate the late sentiment, your previous comment still sticks in my mind.

Mike C: "If this is your vacation, I have one word: lame."

Braj: "No frickin' doubt"
    07-22-2007 01:54 PM
    Sounds like people are floundering around, looking for magic answers for their travails. I thought the iPhone was meant to free people from these problems?
    So the basis of your beef with the iPhone is that in Generation 1 of the OS with no patches, it has many of the same problems as WM5 and WM6 ?
    07-22-2007 01:59 PM
    So the basis of your beef with the iPhone is that in Generation 1 of the OS with no patches, it has many of the same problems as WM5 and WM6 ?
    I think the ipod phone was sold on not having these problems and was going to crush WM....like that could ever happen lol lol
    The phone from the future as apple has layed out to there customer in the present is,
    Music player
    Phone
    Web browser

What does the iphone lack???? more and more we are finding out from the users that have been seen in links.
    07-22-2007 02:08 PM
    Also wourth noting Jack

I don't hate Apple or love WM

Bottom line...What device OS gives you more options with freedom and the basic functions no Phone/ppc/smart phone should be without?
    WM

Can apple catch up to WM??? Ofcouse they can but hey man don't try to sell me a gold ice cub that melts after a few weeks.
    Will WM improve the UI??? Sure they will...apple gave them a jump start in the right direction
    07-22-2007 02:20 PM
    Your record as gutless wonders is unblemished. But just for once try to explain why Surur's posts (another half dozen since my alleged "trolling") of miles of iPhone complainers is a more valid argument against the iPhone than the countless threads in this forum pointing out the defects of the entire Treo line.
    Talking about things in this thread other than iPhone problems = Off Topic

Starting arguments about the existence of this thread = Trolling

Responding directly to or disputing the iPhone complaints in Surur's posts or the specific conclusions drawn from them = Strongly Encouraged

Surur's posts = Entertainment
    07-22-2007 02:34 PM
    Jack,

I am sorry to hear about your wife. I have lost people close to me to cancer, and it sucks.

It is obvious that neither braj nor I knew anything about that. Again, "vacation" has a happy connotation. If you said you were taking time off to care for a sick relative, it would not have gotten the same response.

That said, I can understand the anger you are expressing and how it is coming out in this forum.
    07-22-2007 04:44 PM
    Of course not. My issue is the way the device was over-hyped, even by Apple. It was portrayed as the device to deliver people from the Evils of PalmOS and WM. As far as I am concerned its still running on the hype from the last 6 months, and the reality of its limitations have not set in yet. I am doing my small bit to help that process along.

Re:Your wife. I am sorry she is ill, and I hope she makes a speedy recovery. I hope you dont take offense at me taking the opportunity to press the point of why we want multi-functional devices, to help us with word AND help keep us entertained when we have inevitable down time.

Surur
    07-22-2007 04:50 PM
    Jack,

The term "retards" was never used in this thread context of calling iPhone users that name.

Don't state a falsehood in order to explain away your use of a term.
    07-22-2007 04:51 PM
    Some more users chaffing under the iPhone yoke.

Sorting Contacts on iPhone wind415 07-22-2007 21:26

Sorting Contacts on iPhone

Does anyone know if there is a way to sort the contacts on a iPhone so that it sorts by company or a way to look up by company. I have more than 2000 contacts in my phone and the only way for me to look up a company is to remember the contact name that it is filed under.

Also, I am having troubles downloading pdf attachments in my email. Any suggestions.

Fray Adjacent 07-22-2007 21:42

Nope. They're all in one big long list.

Maverick05 07-22-2007 22:14

i have trouble with PDF email attachments too but what I mean by troble is that it is sooo slowbecause of the edge connection. What do you mean/ are you referring to when you state that you are having trouble

ragweed 07-22-2007 22:31

Does anyone know if there is a way to sort the contacts on a iPhone so that it sorts by company or a way to look up by company. I have more than 2000 contacts in my phone and the only way for me to look up a company is to remember the contact name that it is filed under.
    Unfortunately not. This is one area where WM is really superior. Hopefully Apple addresses this in a future s/w upgrade.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1207046

Surur
    07-22-2007 05:35 PM
    I guess the reason the iPhone is easier to use is because there is just less you can do.
    07-22-2007 06:15 PM
    If you have a lot of contacts, WM is way, way faster.

I think I would go batty scrolling through hundreds or thousands of contacts manually.

Here's the thing...most people don't remember numbers...they remember the name (either first or last).

Only being able to get to them via rolodex interface, while pretty, can be slow and trying.

I bet Apple introduces a "spell-to-contact" function, like WM now has, and people will says, "Wow, look how innovative Apple is."
    07-22-2007 06:27 PM
    I guess the reason the iPhone is easier to use is because there is just less you can do.
    Too true. Embrace the Apple way and all will be good.

Surur
    07-22-2007 06:28 PM
    If you have a lot of contacts, WM is way, way faster.

I think I would go batty scrolling through hundreds or thousands of contacts manually.

Here's the thing...most people don't remember numbers...they remember the name (either first or last).

Only being able to get to them via rolodex interface, while pretty, can be slow and trying.

I bet Apple introduces a "spell-to-contact" function, like WM now has, and people will says, "Wow, look how innovative Apple is."
    That's like many of the reviews I read of the iPhone, stuff that other devices have done for years the reviewers looked on amazed at Apple like they were the innovator and said (for example with threaded SMS) "everyone should do it like this!". The pretty packaging and lack of knowledge of what other devices are actually capable of lead to many comments like that.
    07-22-2007 06:36 PM
    Surur,

LOL at the VOTD picture.
    07-22-2007 06:55 PM
    That's like many of the reviews I read of the iPhone, stuff that other devices have done for years the reviewers looked on amazed at Apple like they were the innovator and said (for example with threaded SMS) "everyone should do it like this!". The pretty packaging and lack of knowledge of what other devices are actually capable of lead to many comments like that.
    I'm sure Apple will do it prettier. In the e-mail program for example, when you delete an e-mail it curls up and slips into the trash container. This is what everyone considered a wonderful UI. I consider these superfluous animations a waste of time.

Like this new iPhone owner says:
    (the iPhone is ...) Slow to delete a message; it shows some damn animation which is cute the first time, but jeez, get this damn thing out of the way; not useful for someone who gets hundreds of emails a day
    http://paulenglish.com/2007/07/i-got-iphone.html

Surur
    07-22-2007 06:57 PM
    That update cant come soon enough...

Great points.... Though I love my phone, there are a few things that deflate it's greatness for me.

No multiple person SMS. Wouldn't be too big of a deal if I could cut n paste the message, but I can't do that either. So I have to type "meeting is cancelled" 20 times in a row?

No MMS. The one thing I used the most with my Moto. Now I get SMS's from Att telling me to go to some website and type code in to receive it. The SUPER weird thing is people on ATT can't send me MMS at all, but if your another carrier, I get a message to view it on the web. That baffles me.

Deleting long text sucks. When I reply to an email and want to delete the copy, I can't highlight and delete. I have to hold the delete button and wait way to long listening to little clicks.

The audio adapter IS a joke. In the apple store where the iPhones are hooked up to real headphones, they look like a bunch of walkie talkies with the adapters sticking out of them. I can't believe they overlooked this. Anyone have any luck making the hole bigger?

Call log doesn't say incoming or outgoing. Sure you can get it with a tap, but why not put a little up or down arrow. Big display, plenty of room for it.

I can't wait to see what they address in the first update.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...=322382&page=6

Surur
    07-22-2007 07:21 PM
3,194 ... 5354555657 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD