10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
again, it is NOT ommitted! the calls are labeled incoming or outgoing but you have to tap on the call to get that information. the information is there. i'm simply asking if having to tap the screen is all that difficult or time consuming. someone said it would save a lot of time. how much time?
If a phone has information available on it, yet requires me to take extra action to access it (over the other common phones I've used), then as a feature it is less useful. Your claim that the information can be eventually accessed through sufficient user action characterizes it more as a defect than a feature. It is simply a usability issue Apple failed to address.

As to your seemingly important "time" metric: If I can do something one-handed, instantaneously, with a glance, on one phone and another phone requires my full attention for a few seconds (and probably 2 hands), then I would have to label that time difference thusly: AN ETERNITY!

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
again, it is NOT ommitted! the calls are labeled incoming or outgoing but you have to tap on the call to get that information. the information is there. i'm simply asking if having to tap the screen is all that difficult or time consuming. someone said it would save a lot of time. how much time?

the information is there in this case, it is not missing some expected capability.

Personally it wouldn't be a problem as I only get about 10-20 calls a day..but I can see it being a problem for someone who gets say 50 or more calls while they're in a 3 hr conference meeting - that's 50 swipes potentially.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
"sufficient user action"...if that's how you want to refer to it, ok!

i call it a screen tap. you know, like one might do on their tiny Treo screen. and yes, it gets done one handed and takes me maybe one second to do.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Personally it wouldn't be a problem as I only get about 10-20 calls a day..but I can see it being a problem for someone who gets say 50 or more calls while they're in a 3 hr conference meeting - that's 50 swipes potentially.

all of those 50 calls would be highlighted in red suggesting that they were "missed calls."

i can see the difficulty that some are having with this issue and most of those are non-owners of the device.

whatever

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
all of those 50 calls would be highlighted in red suggesting that they were "missed calls."

i can see the difficulty that some are having with this issue and most of those are non-owners of the device.

whatever

I thought the issue was, at the end of the day, how to tell how many were incoming, outgoing and missed? My bad - poor example! No problem with missed calls so it's just the other two that ppl like Pone Diva have a problem with theoretically!

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
I believe this to be the other devices forum where most all non-Treo devices are discussed. Do you want to argue that too?

But you're right, I'm pretty much done with wasting my own time here.

tirk

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
I believe this to be the other devices forum where most all non-Treo devices are discussed. Do you want to argue that too?

No, because that's not contradictory to what I said! :rolleyes:

Let me put it another way, would it be nice to go into, say, an Apple aficionados site and start saying they don't know what they're talking about because they don't use Treos? We use Treos here, but we can still have an opinion about something we've chosen not to use.

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
If your intention was to try and convince us that iPhone's kludgey approach to tagging and displaying call history is really useful, then you're right - you're wasting your time. :shake:

fkpalm

Feb 20, 2002
Visit site
I decided not to buy one because i feel my treo 750 does so much more but according to usa today 95% of the people that have iphones are very happy.

Fred

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I decided not to buy one because i feel my treo 750 does so much more but according to usa today 95% of the people that have iphones are very happy.

Fred

Apparently removing the tyranny of choice makes people happy. Thats why Utopia is communist ;)

Surur

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
It's a common feature, found on nearly every phone in the industry - including one of the worst phones ever: the moto T720. It is a convenience that, when omitted, becomes an unnecessary annoyance. The lack of the capability indicates iPhone software was designed and implemented by MP3 player coders...as are several other "features" of the iPhone. It's certainly not the end of the world - it's just yet-another-example of the "phone of the future" missing some simple yet expected capabilities from 5 years ago.

I think this is an overstatement.

Bob calls me, per se, and I speak to him, then go about my business. If I want to know what time he called me later on, I can easily see it because I know he called me. Because I picked up the phone.

I could understand if it didn't say missed calls, but if I spoke to the person, whether they called me or I called them, I usually know the difference.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com

Fred

Because people who own WM phones are educated enough to know that the iPhone is a step down, functionally speaking maybe? I see very few people saying "Man, this phone does half of what my Treo did" because if they did their homework, they would've known that a month ago.

You are not wrong in your statement, and that 95% stat has nothing to do with that.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Zorn
Serious iPhone texting flaw

Here is something I just figured out today, and I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before but I find it to be a serious problem with the iPhone. Apparantly, it doesn't take very much to fill the SMS inbox, and the phone will prompt you to delete some previous messages because the inbox is almost full. I decided to ignore those prompts, thinking since the phone has 8GB of space, it must be able to cope. Big mistake. If you ever let the iPhone's SMS inbox get "full" (whatever full means, since the phone has so much space), it clogs ALL phone functions. You will not receive any further text messages until you clear out old ones, and you will not receive any voice mail. I learned this the hard way after missing calls, voice mails, and text messages from a friend who needed a ride to the airport this morning. There's also no way to set how much space you dedicate for text messages. This is a potentially serious flaw in that if you text quite a bit, and don't think to delete old conversations, your phone will choke up on new calls/voicemails/texts.

I've been fine with ALL the other compromises the iPhone forces you to make, but I think above all it will be this flaw that could make me sell my iPhone. My BlackBerry could keep texts from the previous 6 months and not have to delete them, I have had the iPhone barely 2 weeks and it's already got its memory filled with texts? That's beyond ridiculous.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1201579

He's an interesting post, and I dont know if his interpretation is true or not, but the reaction of the other posters in the thread is rather scary (basically amounting to "Why do you want to keep so many texts in any case"). Its almost as if a Borg-like Applologist group think is going down there.

Surur

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
This IS Treocentral, not Phonedifferent, or iPhonecentral or whatever, so that's to be expected. :rolleyes:

No, because that's not contradictory to what I said! :rolleyes:

Let me put it another way, would it be nice to go into, say, an Apple aficionados site and start saying they don't know what they're talking about because they don't use Treos? We use Treos here, but we can still have an opinion about something we've chosen not to use.

Yep oalvarez i think you misinterpreted tirk - he meant that you should expect treo users in a treo forum not to be overtly positive about the iPhone, not that you can't talk about it because this is a treo forum ....

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1201579

He's an interesting post, and I dont know if his interpretation is true or not, but the reaction of the other posters in the thread is rather scary (basically amounting to "Why do you want to keep so many texts in any case"). Its almost as if a Borg-like Applologist group think is going down there.

Surur

that IS a serious flaw though wrt not having access to the 8 GB no matter what app you're using...of course as with everything else a simple software update will solve that in no time ;)

dgoodisi

Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
Overall I've been amused by this thread, but this is just plane wrong
I believe if you add on the hardware that Macs come with standard to a PC the price would be comparable.
Now that Apple uses Intel chips this is an easy comparison.

MacBook Pro - Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2gig ram, 120gig 5400 hd, iNvidia 8600 128mb VRam, $1999

Dell - Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2gig ram, 160gig 5400 hd, InVidia 8600 256mb VRam, $1375

So lets see, $600 dollars more for a Macbook Pro, weaker video card, smaller harddrive, crappy 90 day warranty vs 1-year for the Dell, and that's with a display and battery upgrade to match the MacBook.

And this is for the pricy Dell (compared to HP and others).

The "Apple tax" is even more obvious with desktops.

Edit: Sorry, about 25 pages behind, still catching up. Just broke rule #1, read entire thread before posting.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
yep

Apple Tax....sounds so harsh...how about "Privileged User Assessment".

It sounds much nicer.

Fanboys love to claim Apple and PC prices are comparable, but that is just plain hogwash.

The same is true with all their products and software.

But maybe that is why their stock is at 130 and others are lower...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen