Since llarson is convinced I never actually contribute anything except point out his many spelling errors, lies, or blatant failure to read a post before making a derisive response to it, here you go:

What laptop that's less than 5 years old hasn't shipped with internal WiFi? Just in case that's not clear enough, yes to the first question. Can be configured with 802.11a/g/n. The screen size is 17" 1900x1200. Software: Microsoft Works but can be customized with whatever flavor of Office you want. Plus a bunch of other bundles stuff like CD burning software, etc. Anyways, you can check it all out yourself right here. I'm pretty sure that's the laptop he was referring to.
    omg! this thread is bookmarked on my 700wx!
    I haven't laughed so much in a long time!

hey llarson, where r u?

I can't blame him though, I guess I would hide to if I just found out that apple has been a** raping me for years and the soarness just started kicking in...

hey where's the great surur??
    please don't stop still sir! i'm really enjoying the onslaught of facts about apples $PHONE, I think the appologist are starting to see they really got suckered into bending over and taking one for the team!
    07-16-2007 09:37 AM
    Many say that WM devices have alot of catching up to do hmmm
    They couldn't be farther from the truth so it seems.The cracker jack iphone has a great screen with pretty user interface and no guts.This is not a put down of owners but hey..you got taken.To convince your self otherwise...your taken your self for a ride going no were.

Phil C
    07-16-2007 09:59 AM
    Seems Jack forgot about Tickle Me Elmo....

(The iPhone and Elmo are both toys, so it's a fair comparison.)
    Not if you can manage to stay on topic, that being smart phones. Tho most people who on one can't seem to stop playing with it, their most frequent thing to do with ther Treo / Crackberry / HTC / Sidekick being showing it of and saying "isn't my gadget cool, doesn't that make me cool"
    07-16-2007 10:16 AM
    Many say that WM devices have alot of catching up to do hmmm
    They couldn't be farther from the truth so it seems.The cracker jack iphone has a great screen with pretty user interface and no guts.This is not a put down of owners but hey..you got taken.To convince your self otherwise...your taken your self for a ride going no were.

Phil C
    I love it when people assume they know whats best for other people. I would take my iPhone over any win mobile device any day. But, thats just me.
    07-16-2007 10:23 AM
    Exaggerate much?

Surur
    So stay on topic [this is the other handhelds section] and prove me wrong. 1 million iPhone activations and there'd be many, many more if people could simply get their hands on them. My son has been trying and the four stores he has gone to have waiting lists in the thousands. To qualify as a device in the iPhone's or this forum sections category and to be fairly compared, it must have

-restricted sales to US only as eurasian carriers can't release until after specific sales quotas have been reached in US.
    -it must be suitable for discussion in this section of the forum being a smart phone / multimedia device
    -it must be a single model / year, not combining sales over the entire model's years or combining sales different models with same / similar names.
    07-16-2007 10:37 AM
    So stay on topic [this is the other handhelds section] and prove me wrong. 1 million iPhone activations and there'd be many, many more if people could simply get their hands on them. My son has been trying and the four stores he has gone to have waiting lists in the thousands. To qualify as a device in the iPhone's or this forum sections category and to be fairly compared, it must have

-restricted sales to US only as eurasian carriers can't release until after specific sales quotas have been reached in US.
    -it must be suitable for discussion in this section of the forum being a smart phone / multimedia device
    -it must be a single model / year, not combining sales over the entire model's years or combining sales different models with same / similar names.

Jack, Can you point to a source for the "million" activations? The onyl place I saw this was a blog with no backup.

AT&T may have posted it, but I have not seen it.
    07-16-2007 11:16 AM

So instead of saying:

The iPhone has outsold any other device on the planet in a weekend.
    You meant to say:

The Iphone sold more in a weekend than any other single smartphone or multimedia device has sold in one year in the US?
    Doesn't quite trickle of the tongue as nicely, does it?

The original x-box sold 3.5 million in its first year, the Wii sold 3 million in only 6 months, as did the PS2 and the XBox 360. The Sikekick sold 1.1 million in 2006. You know even the Zune also sold a million in one year. Its not an impressive number.

Maybe you want to reserve the grandiose claims for when the full year results come in?

Surur
    07-16-2007 11:18 AM
    Not if you can manage to stay on topic, that being smart phones. Tho most people who on one can't seem to stop playing with it, their most frequent thing to do with ther Treo / Crackberry / HTC / Sidekick being showing it of and saying "isn't my gadget cool, doesn't that make me cool"
    Oh, _that_ type of device. ;-)

Yes, it's a bit hard compares, as rarely has there been a hyped sales event/weekend such as the iPhone. It was almost like opening weekend for a movie.

I bet it did sell more than any other phone in it's first weekend release (has any other phone be released in this way? I don't think so.)

The majority was online, and not in stores. I think the onlin orders have been arriving last week.

I have never seen someone show off thier phone - although I get questions about my Treo and people call is a Blackberry.

As for showing off iPhones, I am in Apple-ville central and have seen a whooping two in the wild. I assume this number will rise, but I find it odd there are so few seen (in comparison to the posts on other forums.)
    07-16-2007 11:22 AM
    please don't stop still sir! i'm really enjoying the onslaught of facts about apples $PHONE, I think the appologist are starting to see they really got suckered into bending over and taking one for the team!
    Here's something funny to ponder upon.

At MacRomors they had to open up a whole new forum, the iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting forum, as the regular iPhone forum was getting overrun with complaints, problems and "negativity".

Interestingly none of the other Apple devices (MacBook, AppleTV, Ipod, Mac Pro etc) has the honour of this privilege.

Even funnier is that it hardly seems to make a difference to the number of complaints cluttering both forums, no matter how fast the mods move them "out of sight".

Surur
    07-16-2007 11:53 AM
    llarsen,

The meds are in the little bottle on the left...

I highly doubt you company bought anybody iPhones, especially some salesperson who is feeling a little Napolean.

The more you have to justify how accomplished you are at your job, the more everyone knows the trvth (read into it whatever you want).
    - Talking on iPhone
    - Basement
    - Mom's house
    - Worlds of Warcraft
    - Dortios and Redbull
    - Jessica Alba
    - Astroglide

Am I getting warm yet?

If I had tried.

I really hope some of the more mature people here can get Mikec to stay on topic and stop these personal attacks.

I guess Mikec has nothing to add to the conversation. Mikec maybe you can learn a little something form the words of Mark Twain- "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
    07-16-2007 12:07 PM
    Since llarson is convinced I never actually contribute anything except point out his many spelling errors, lies, or blatant failure to read a post before making a derisive response to it, here you go:

What laptop that's less than 5 years old hasn't shipped with internal WiFi? Just in case that's not clear enough, yes to the first question. Can be configured with 802.11a/g/n. The screen size is 17" 1900x1200. Software: Microsoft Works but can be customized with whatever flavor of Office you want. Plus a bunch of other bundles stuff like CD burning software, etc. Anyways, you can check it all out yourself right here. I'm pretty sure that's the laptop he was referring to.

All I can say is see:

http://www.systemshootouts.org/shoot...09_dt3200.html

http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/feat...rice/index.php

http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33576

The machines arent identical each has a few advantages but I think theyre fairly comparable in terms of the needs of a power user.

Come on guys this is the oldest Mac vs. Windows argument ever. How it ties into the iPHONE I am not sure except a lot of the people here hate anything Apple.
    07-16-2007 12:28 PM
    omg! this thread is bookmarked on my 700wx!
    I haven't laughed so much in a long time!

hey llarson, where r u?

I can't blame him though, I guess I would hide to if I just found out that apple has been a** raping me for years and the soarness just started kicking in...

...A** this and Bend over that and the soreness (as CountChocula likes to point out it isn't soarness).

With people like this as friends Bruckwine , Diva and Surur I am sure your points will be taken seriously.

But back to the iPHONE.

New web based app - A web application called SeeqPod lets you listen to music files publicly available on the internet. Point your iPhone to SeeqPod.com/iPhone and start clickin'.

Only heard from on other on the issue of timely releases fro updates tot he iPHONE. When is it to late to release fixes and or an update.
    07-16-2007 12:37 PM
    Here's something funny to ponder upon.

At MacRomors they had to open up a whole new forum, the iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting forum, as the regular iPhone forum was getting overrun with complaints, problems and "negativity".

Interestingly none of the other Apple devices (MacBook, AppleTV, Ipod, Mac Pro etc) has the honour of this privilege.

Even funnier is that it hardly seems to make a difference to the number of complaints cluttering both forums, no matter how fast the mods move them "out of sight".

Surur
    Surur are you saying the Palm OS and the WM OS have not need for troubleshooting tips or these other OS's don't have people complaining?

Are you saying the iPHONE has many more complaints then Palm or WM OS.
    07-16-2007 12:41 PM
    Surur are you saying the Palm OS and the WM OS have not need for troubleshooting tips or these other OS's don't have people complaining?

Are you saying the iPHONE has many more complaints then Palm or WM OS.
    I thought the iPhone was supposed to have NONE?

As Benjamin Franklin used to say about iPhone owners: "Those who give up third party apps for stability deserve neither third party apps nor stability."

Surur
    07-16-2007 12:48 PM

As Benjamin Franklin used to say about iPhone owners: "Those who give up third party apps for stability deserve neither third party apps nor stability."

Surur
    And as another great American said,

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs:thumbsup:

07-16-2007 01:14 PM
    AT&T seems to be phasing out insurance on TREOs too.
    I bought my first cell phone twenty years ago. It was the size and weight of a brick; its battery weighed more that a modern digital cell phone. It cost $1500- down from $3000- only a year earlier.

Cell phones are now consumables; we use them up. I have at least a dozen old ones; I can touch four from where I sit. I hope to be able to replace both my Treo 650 and my iPhone in less than a year. We do not insure consumables. Hell, I do not buy optional warranties, much less insurance. [I admit that I sometimes use my American Express card because it covers loss or damage for 90 days.]
    07-16-2007 01:27 PM

Surur
    Seriously, I want the freedom to do what I want with my device. This is my one issue with the iPhone. Give me Liberty or give me a Treo! This really does fit into the net neutrality issue and Apple and ATT controlling what you can do with your device beyond it's own technical limitations is not the direction I want to see mobile computing head.
    07-16-2007 01:33 PM
    Oh my - looks like somebody's inferiority complex just got stepped on. Talk about reading something into an email. You think adults can't have toys? You think adults who work hard can't play? Why would you equate "toy" with "children?" Do you really have such an overwhelming lack of confidence? Have we discovered the root to your seemingly contrary nature around here?
    Hear, hear! If I am not a serious adult I have only months to years to become one. One of the things that I am serious about is toys.
    07-16-2007 01:36 PM
    Doesn't quite trickle of the tongue as nicely, does it?
    Sales figures are published by year. Read RIM's finacial reports, read Plam's, read anyones. I have previously said the same thing while being more explicit several time shere.....didn't think it was necessary to include "the fine print" saying the same thing in every single post. It's the kind of thing that "goes without saying" unless you are trying to divert attention from a failed point. Go back and read, I didn't use the word "ever". I am going by industry standards and convention in which sales figures are quoted yearly.

The original x-box sold 3.5 million in its first year, the Wii sold 3 million in only 6 months, as did the PS2 and the XBox 360. The Sikekick sold 1.1 million in 2006. You know even the Zune also sold a million in one year.
    Wasn't aware this was a gaming console forum. Sarcasm won't account for your failure to produce source showing a single device covered under the rules of the forum for discussion in this section that has sold 1 million units.

I found this saying T-Mobile sold 172k in 3rd quarter

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu85SqJ...p=1%26.intl=us

But for the sake of argument, lets say 1) you can produce a source. and 2) over a million iPhones doesn't exceed the 1.1 million figure...

The statement gets revised to:

"The IPhone has sold as many units over a weekend than the biggest selling device* ever did in 10.9 months" .... yeah like that puts the two in the same category.

* concentrate now, we are in "other handhelds" section remember... discussion of gaming consoles, timex watches, blenders, Tamagotchi and toys ya get with McDonalds Happy Meals not relevant.

Its not an impressive number.
    Not impressive despite essentially matching in a weekend your claimed smarphone sales champion sidekick sales for a year ?

And tell that to AT&T stockholder drooling over a new 570 million dollar revenue stream. Tell that to the competing carriers whose customers paid the $167 average price to get out of existing contracts.
    07-16-2007 01:49 PM
    Hear, hear! If I am not a serious adult I have only months to years to become one. One of the things that I am serious about is toys.
    The word toy has been used to describe the iPHONE and those who use it in a demeaning way.

Many here have equated the purchase of the iPHONE to the purchase of a "Tickel Me Elmo" and those who bought the iPHONE as children who took it in the A** and are simple morons for making such an absurd purchase.

From your post you seem to have the means to buy several rather expensive smartphones as well as the iPHONE.

By many on this forum your purchase of the iPHONE marks you as a less then intelligent consumer and person.

The opinions of those who say this doesn't really offend me but to see it time after time and gets in the way of the reason for this thread and is tiresome.
    07-16-2007 01:56 PM
    Sales figures are published by year. Read RIM's finacial reports, read Plam's, read anyones. I have previously said the same thing while being more explicit several time shere.....didn't think it was necessary to include "the fine print" saying the same thing in every single post. It's the kind of thing that "goes without saying" unless you are trying to divert attention from a failed point. Go back and read, I didn't use the word "ever". I am going by industry standards and convention in which sales figures are quoted yearly.

Wasn't aware this was a gaming console forum. Sarcasm won't account for your failure to produce source showing a single device covered under the rules of the forum for discussion in this section that has sold 1 million units.

I found this saying T-Mobile sold 172k in 3rd quarter

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu85SqJ...p=1%26.intl=us

But for the sake of argument, lets say 1) you can produce a source. and 2) over a million iPhones doesn't exceed the 1.1 million figure...

The statement gets revised to:

"The IPhone has sold as many units over a weekend than the biggest selling device* ever did in 10.9 months" .... yeah like that puts the two in the same category.

* concentrate now, we are in "other handhelds" section remember... discussion of gaming consoles, timex watches, blenders, Tamagotchi and toys ya get with McDonalds Happy Meals not relevant.

Not impressive despite essentially matching in a weekend your claimed smarphone sales champion sidekick sales for a year ?

And tell that to AT&T stockholder drooling over a new 570 million dollar revenue stream. Tell that to the competing carriers whose customers paid the $167 average price to get out of existing contracts.
    I'm not the one who included multimedia device. How about sticking to your own definitions.

Surur
    07-16-2007 02:04 PM
    All I can say is see:

http://www.systemshootouts.org/shoot...09_dt3200.html

http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/feat...rice/index.php

http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33576

The machines arent identical each has a few advantages but I think theyre fairly comparable in terms of the needs of a power user.

Come on guys this is the oldest Mac vs. Windows argument ever. How it ties into the iPHONE I am not sure except a lot of the people here hate anything Apple.
    Like you said, they're not identical. In fact, each one of those articles compares computers that aren't even close. Funny how each one puts an Apple with a geforce 7300 (entry level - integrated consumer chipset) graphics card against a Dell with a Quadro graphics card, meant for professional 3d rendering (not gaming). So the only way to even out the price war is by loading way more expensive components on the PC side. Gee that's responsible reporting right there.

Show me a Mac that I can buy for less $$$ than an honest-to-goodness exact duplicate in components on the PC side, then you'll have a convincing argument.
    07-16-2007 02:18 PM
    The opinions of those who say this doesn't really offend me but to see it time after time and gets in the way of the reason for this thread and is tiresome.
    Surely the reason for this thread was to point out what "sucks" about the iPhone?

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
    07-16-2007 02:31 PM
    Jack, Can you point to a source for the "million" activations? The onyl place I saw this was a blog with no backup.

AT&T may have posted it, but I have not seen it.
    My son heard it first flipping the channels on the TV cable box on one of those geek technology shows and told me about it.

looking at Yahoo now, this is the 1st hit I got

http://www.waitingforiphone.com/2007...llion-iphones/

"This news comes from a full-time staffer in ATT Mobiltys Commerce Group who chose to remain anonymous.

It's tough to get any "solid documented" info like from peeps willing to go on record since publishing such might not be in company's best interests....like WM versus palm OS Treo shipments....Palm refuses to answer. For example it's indicated on the same site that Apple's agreement with Euro carriers requires them to ship in Europe once they reach 1 million sales here. That may be a bit more than apple can handle and may wish to dance a few days before initiating that step.

However, one can usually judge the validity of "unnamed sources" by the outcry of counter claims. To me the lack of anyone jumping up to say "No, it's not true leads me to believe that most believe it is. I wouldn't bet the ranch on it, especially with the anti apple fervor, but the lack of pundits willing to go on record as saying it's not true apparently has them convinced also.

I note that Apple store still says 2-4 weeks and the 4 stores here all have no stock and huge waiting lists that are not really waitings list as "no reserving".
    07-16-2007 02:32 PM
    This news comes from a full-time staffer in ATT Mobilty’s Commerce Group who chose to remain anonymous:

Apple will stop selling the iPhone and start selling the iShoe after Steve Jobs saw a rerun of Get Smart. "You really can't go wrong with a shoe phone, and it will be an industry first. But you have to take your socks off to get Multitouch to function."
    07-16-2007 02:46 PM
3,194 ... 3233343536 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD