They buy the iPhone because they are technically challenged

Surur
    07-13-2007 11:42 AM
    lol that was low surur lol
    07-13-2007 11:55 AM
    In one of the first such studies, 90% of 200 owners said they were "extremely" or "very" satisfied with their phone.
    I knew it. Extremists make up the single biggest iPhone purchasing category. Where is the phone for the reasonable moderates?
    07-13-2007 11:57 AM
    :

• 51% of buyers were switching to AT&T from another carrier
    • 35% of carrier switchers paid an early termination fee (avg $167) to switch
    • 3 of 10 were first-time Apple customers.
    • for 4 of 10, the iPhone was their first iPod
    • New iPhone owners expected to pay about $35 more a month than their previous cellphone.
    Honestly and this is no joke or to down you llarson
    I feel sorry for you and the poll.
    I could debate and debate but it would do no good.You seem very smart yet not thinking about what apple has taken away form you.

Your stuck with edge speeds.
    A pretty user interface.
    nice screen..I will give the iphone that.
    No option for 3rd party apps.
    No way to take out the darn battery.

Your smart you know the deal man.
    07-13-2007 12:05 PM

Surur
    Well, that is one way to describe them, not particularly charitable, but otherwise reasonable

Perhaps it would be more useful to say that, if they had any expectations, they were formed more by what Apple promised than by experience with some other device. For example, one persistent complaint is the absence of visibility into and use of the file system. Apple never led anyone to expect one, though the iPod has one. Few phone users, non-PC users, would expect one or even know what to do with it.

Another one is the absence of third party apps. Apple explicitly disclaimed any such apps. As a committed user of DA, and a beta tester of the newest feature-rich version, I expected to really miss it. However, after a little practice with google/m with its auto link to maps and maps to contacts, I hardly miss it at all.

I have concluded that many of the Treo appps that I have come to rely on compensated for the speed of Blazer and the Treo screen. With Safari, I do not need the BART trip planner, the New York City cross streets, or the NYC subway planner. There are perfectly acceptable web app substitutes. I still miss the ereader but I have even gotten over Splash Shopper.

As a command line user, I had to be dragged screaming and kicking to Windows. On the other hand Windows makes the computer useable and useful for toddlers and the elderly.

The iPhone will introduce many to the smartphone who might not have gotten there by another path.

I am not ready to give up my 650GSM. I still hope for a POS/GSM device. However, it better be at least as powerful the iPhone.

How satisfied one is with the iPhone, or any other gadget, is a function of one's expectations.
    07-13-2007 12:16 PM

Surur
    Glib little comment like this are so beneath you. :thumbsdn:

whmurray is mostly right. This is a question of expectations, not promises. Almost all of the smartphone geek complaints have been about what the iPhone doesn't have that our precious WM5/6, Palm, RIMM, or Symbian devices do have. Apple did not promise Exchange push; Flash; file explorer; or any number of these other features. From friends I know, and reports I've read, they did produce a good phone, great iPod, and very good web experience (on WiFi, not EDGE). At the same time, all of us pedestrian EDGE users who are not in 3G markets got a nice kick in the seat to our EDGE experience (mine still average 75-100% better than before the iPhone release on my Blackjack).

In fact, some of you same critics would claim I'm technically challenged for accepting a smartphone device in preference to an 8525 or other "true" power user device. Well, guess what, it does what I need better than the 8525 I had for two weeks; and is still "good enough" to keep me out of the iPhone camp.

Let's just stop putting down the iPhone crowd as technically inferior, because I know a lot of certified techno geeks who have jumped on its bandwagon. :cheers:
    07-13-2007 01:03 PM
    Of course, early adopters are a special population and may not reflect the satisfaction of later consumers as a whole.
    I'd argue, if anything they tend to be more critical. 1) They "into" this stuff and 2) for many it's about being the 1st on on their block.

51% of buyers were switching to AT&T from another carrier
    New iPhone owners expected to pay about $35 more a month than their previous cellphone.
    So AT&T increased their customer base about 1% in a week...and another 1% increasing their bills by $35....That's a 570 million dollar revenue stream from a weekend's sales. Wonder how many peeps bought AT&T along with their Apple stock.

35% of carrier switchers paid an early termination fee (avg $167) to switch
    So people 1/3 of people were willing to pay $750+ for the device ($600 + $167)

And how many were predicting a non-impact of the iPhone ? Yeah I guess the about to be dumped Motorola CEO Ed Zander was among them. Who gonna win the next market battle Razr2 at $199 or the iPhone2 at $299 ? Call ya broker and place ya bets.
    07-13-2007 01:52 PM
    This is a question of expectations, not promises. Almost all of the smartphone geek complaints have been about what the iPhone doesn't have that our precious WM5/6, Palm, RIMM, or Symbian devices do have. Apple did not promise Exchange push; Flash; file explorer; or any number of these other features.
    Apple raised those expectations though. The small print was there, but the headline said it was better than any existing smartphone.

Which it isn't, as eny fule noes.
    07-13-2007 02:05 PM
    and to make it even easier, since missed calls are highlighted in red you only have to concentrate on those in black!
    My Treo indicates which calls are incoming and which are outgoing while displaying the list. I don't have to look at each item individually to tell.
    07-13-2007 02:19 PM

The iPhone will introduce many to the smartphone who might not have gotten there by another path.
    The iPhone is NOT a smart phone. It's a feature phone with a big screen and a fancy interface. But it's too crippled, functionally, to be a smart phone. The fact that it costs as much as a smartphone doesn't make it one.

MHO, YMMV.
    07-13-2007 02:22 PM
    My Treo indicates which calls are incoming and which are outgoing while displaying the list. I don't have to look at each item individually to tell.
    most excellent! i can understand and appreciate how seriously important it is to know which direction every call came from, and being able to tell right away. i can do with having to tap the screen should i need that critical piece of information.
    07-13-2007 02:38 PM
    The iPhone is NOT a smart phone. It's a feature phone with a big screen and a fancy interface. But it's too crippled, functionally, to be a smart phone. The fact that it costs as much as a smartphone doesn't make it one.

MHO, YMMV.
    Well said...these are some of the reasons beyond fuctionality why some just principally don't like this thing. If it wasn't marketed as the Godfather of smartphones and released as what its suppose to be, the device would be more easy to digest for me. The same situation with "Bubba" fans in the sport of Motocross...this guy was marketed as the best that ever was and didn't deliver against the rider that wasn't, and now Bubba gets it like the iPhone...lol. Live up to the hype and then nobody can say $hit.
    07-13-2007 02:48 PM

MHO, YMMV.
    I totally Agree.It is pretty yet the beauty does not get the job done when it cant even handel the basic task.For many that dropped cash on the future phone seem in denial sticking up for it as the best phone/ppc/what ever they want to call it every released .Very odd to say the least.
    Maybe the cool oalvarez can come down to the lower levels of the TC forums-Slingbox = dirt :cry: and take the time to share his expertise in the current smart phone market..after all He is the most brilliant poster at TC

The great TC god already posted above
    07-13-2007 03:07 PM
    I agree it's not really a smartphone. But Steve Jobs thinks it is
    With 8 hours of talk time, and 24 hours of audio playback, iPhones battery life is longer than any other Smartphone and even longer than most MP3 players, said Steve Jobs, Apples CEO.
    07-13-2007 03:10 PM
    I think there's a thread stating that 2 out of 3 iphone users not being able to get full charge also batt life being around 4 hours.The batt life was supposed to be at 8 hours so the spec sheet reads.There seems to be more marketing then device performance facts.

oops
    I will correct my post
    the spec sheet calls for 8 hours yet some users are getting 6-7hours due to battery charge issues.This cant be good for the long haul.Im sure apple will make a fix
    07-13-2007 05:11 PM
    I agree it's not really a smartphone. But Steve Jobs thinks it is
    It was the only way to get away charging $500-600 for it w/o subsidies...plenty are willing to pay that though esp those who can say they have a smartphone - i just hope that they do implement updates ala OS X/Windows - I shall wait and see how many get through before v2 is out (i.e. how much functionality the phone ends up having for that $600 plus).
    07-13-2007 06:55 PM
    The battery issue is a major issue for Apple. Some forum members said Apple just took their phones and gave them new ones, no questions asked, without much of a conversation to boot! I think 2 out of 3 is an overstatement, but it definitely is an issue.
    07-13-2007 07:01 PM
    The battery issue is a major issue for Apple. Some forum members said Apple just took their phones and gave them new ones, no questions asked, without much of a conversation to boot! I think 2 out of 3 is an overstatement, but it definitely is an issue.
    I think it will remain an issue esp if ppl watch movies on it...wonder how thick it would be if the battery was replaceable - an idea for v2 though Apple seems to abhor swappable batteries. I saw someone post somewhere that it'd be ~ 3mm thicker - is that such a bad thing for a PMP/phone?.
    07-13-2007 07:16 PM
    That's what I prefer, to know without looking at each number individually. Saves a bit of time.
    07-13-2007 09:23 PM
    People are overwhelmingly too fat and not fit enough. Does that make it right? People buy "newspapers" in scary numbers only to read about Paris Hilton & the like. Does that mean I should?

iPhone is a pretty but fatally crippled smartphone. Not even if 101% of iPhone users thought it was the second coming would it make it half as capable for my actual needs as my 680.

Yes, I know Surur has been posting anecdotal evidence of iPhone horror-stories, but I've always thought that most iPhone users will be too undemanding (or even technically-challenged!) to notice either the design flaws or bugs.

We are all stupider for having read that statement, I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
    07-13-2007 10:21 PM
    Honestly and this is no joke or to down you llarson
    I feel sorry for you and the poll.
    I could debate and debate but it would do no good.You seem very smart yet not thinking about what apple has taken away form you.

Your stuck with edge speeds.
    A pretty user interface.
    nice screen..I will give the iphone that.
    No option for 3rd party apps.
    No way to take out the darn battery.

Your smart you know the deal man.
    I'll take this as a compliment regardless of how you meant it.
    07-13-2007 10:23 PM
    That's what I prefer, to know without looking at each number individually. Saves a bit of time.
    yes, of course it saves a bit of time. how much time do you think it really saves? and if you see a call that is not a missed call, do you earnestly not know if you called them or if they called you? if you don't, do you consider it laborious to tap the screen to see if it was incoming or not?
    07-13-2007 11:40 PM
    actually, seeing incoming/outgoing icons on the call log screen is a great help, esp. to those of use who make and receive dozens of calls a day.
    07-13-2007 11:58 PM
    I get so many calls on the list, yes I forget whose calls I received and who I called. I need to tell the difference. The phones I have tell you right from the list.
    07-13-2007 11:59 PM
    you can tell the difference, i just want to make sure that some don't get the impression that you can't. there is a list of recent calls and those that are "missed" are marked as such. i would think that seeing which calls were missed are the most important. if a call isn't missed that means you either picked it up (and most likely spoke to that person) or you called them.

but i do agree with you, immediately (not having to tap) being able to see if a call was incoming or not definitely saves time.
    07-14-2007 12:20 AM
3,194 ... 2930313233 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD