Gracias for the clarification; I just lump all the that 3G-ey stuff together.

UMTS is the technology, HSDPA is the protocol, and blame Wikipedia for any errors ;-)

Alls I know is I want mo' faster!
    Me too. I want it from Palm. I want it with POS.

I got 3Mbps second on my iPhone over Wi-Fi today and 176Kbps over EDGE. Broadband Reports reports 126Kbps over EDGE over iPhones across all tests.
    07-11-2007 04:19 PM
    And T-Mobile is using a different frequency for UMTS (I believe the European band, but maybe not) so phones like the Treo 750 will not work on it. Maybe the Hermes, not sure.
    Quad band phones are now pretty common. We will see converged devices before we see converged networks. This will allow most of us to have whatever combinations we want.
    07-11-2007 04:21 PM
    I agree the mythical update seems a bit too good to be true, but without it the functionality holes remain also. And with increased functionality comes increased complexity.

Surur
    So youve determined the device will suck either way? How shocking!
    07-11-2007 05:31 PM
    So youve determined the device will suck either way? How shocking!
    I dont mind increased complexity, so it would not suck for me. There is a range, and at present its not on my side of the curve.

Jobs put up this graph in the keyboard, saying the iPhone is smart AND easy to use, but he removed many of the things which makes it smart, so I really think it belongs in the SE quadrant with the other feature phones.

Providing more options will invariably move it over to where the rest of the smartphones reside.

Surur
    07-11-2007 06:19 PM
    I dont mind increased complexity, so it would not suck for me. There is a range, and at present its not on my side of the curve.

Jobs put up this graph in the keyboard, saying the iPhone is smart AND easy to use, but he removed many of the things which makes it smart, so I really think it belongs in the SE quadrant with the other feature phones.

Providing more options will invariably move it over to where the rest of the smartphones reside.

Surur
    Yes, this is RDF at it's best...everyone wants the upper right quadrant.

But the argument is flawed.

"smart", to me is more capable. The Treo is more "capable that the iPhone (today) So it should be "smarter.

And as far as ease of use, a regular phone with hard buttons is "easier" to use that an iPhone - no screen to touch/turn-on, or button to press. Just dial the digits and press talk/green button. Done.

Also, does anyone notice that Jobs put the iPhone in the farthest corner and height - That the iPhone can't get any better - its' the smartest and easiest to use. But that really isn't true (see Meredith Viera).
    07-11-2007 06:33 PM
    Yes, this is RDF at it's best...everyone wants the upper right quadrant.

But the argument is flawed.

"smart", to me is more capable. The Treo is more "capable that the iPhone (today) So it should be "smarter.

And as far as ease of use, a regular phone with hard buttons is "easier" to use that an iPhone - no screen to touch/turn-on, or button to press. Just dial the digits and press talk/green button. Done.

Also, does anyone notice that Jobs put the iPhone in the farthest corner and height - That the iPhone can't get any better - its' the smartest and easiest to use. But that really isn't true (see Meredith Viera).
    I did notice - found it funny myself though I'm sure somebody out there has it down in the Book of Jobs
    07-11-2007 07:02 PM
    Did you notice the other smartphones score 0 on smarts? At least they are not too far into negative numbers

Surur
    07-11-2007 07:07 PM
    That chart is just plain stupid.
    07-11-2007 07:13 PM
    Is that chart authentic?

No wonder every house in america has a PC and one rarely finds a mac in the wild, and even if you do see one they also have a PC and/or some program that makes the mac think it is one.
    07-11-2007 07:25 PM
    Is that chart authentic?
    Authentic? Yes. Accurate? Only for those in the RDF.

Surur
    07-11-2007 07:50 PM
    It's obvious Jobs was the stoner of the group
    07-11-2007 08:13 PM
    Btw gadgeteer did a review - he loves it as a feature phone..but not as a smartphone - found engadget's review more thorough myself though:

Gadgeteer review
    07-11-2007 08:15 PM
    Quad band phones are now pretty common. We will see converged devices before we see converged networks. This will allow most of us to have whatever combinations we want.
    Quad band phones are so common they don't even make new gsm phones without them. Quad band gsm that is. We are talking about UMTS, which are dual band, but are not produced as quad band att, since there hasnt been a need.
    07-11-2007 08:15 PM
    Perhaps some improved axis names?

07-11-2007 08:44 PM
    She not he.

Btw gadgeteer did a review - he loves it as a feature phone..but not as a smartphone - found engadget's review more thorough myself though:

Gadgeteer review
    07-11-2007 08:47 PM
    I still see non-quad band phones from Nokia and SE. They just don't bring them into the U.S.

Quad band phones are so common they don't even make new gsm phones without them. Quad band gsm that is. We are talking about UMTS, which are dual band, but are not produced as quad band att, since there hasnt been a need.
    07-11-2007 08:48 PM
    on the iPhone you simply press the phone button and then the keypad button. if you want to see your recent calls there is a "recent" button that shows you your missed and outgoing calls. the missed calls are highlighted in "red." i'm not sure how someone couldn't tell the difference between black or red other than the color blind. if so, there is a tab marked "missed" if that's all you want to see.
    So it's 2 or maybe 3(if the backlight is out) presses instead of 1. That's like the WM5 touchscreen phones that have the keyboard hidden.

Recent calls can be in or out. According to some posters, there's no way to tell which are outgoing and which are incoming. Sometimes people need to remember. And this is usually marked on most phones in some way.
    07-13-2007 06:28 AM
    you do have the option of never locking the device which would omit the sliding to unlock feature. then you press the SMS button, then msg button and the keyboard pops up.

is that really all that time consuming, onerous, or difficult to do?
    Similar to the 8125 with the keyboard closed, and the like. Not really easier IMO. But I've done it before.
    07-13-2007 06:36 AM
    Had my first safari crash today. I had multiple webpages open and was going back and forth. Safari crashed and went back to the home screen. I didn't have to turn the device off or anything. I simply restarted Safari and went on my merry way.
    Just curious, but are people remembering to clear out the cache after extensive browsing? I wonder if that has something to do with Safari crashes. Just a thought.
    07-13-2007 06:55 AM
    Just curious, but are people remembering to clear out the cache after extensive browsing? I wonder if that has something to do with Safari crashes. Just a thought.
    I tend to clear it once a day and Usually have 6-7 tabs open all the time. Have had one crash to the Home screen so far.
    07-13-2007 07:39 AM
    Recent calls can be in or out. According to some posters, there's no way to tell which are outgoing and which are incoming.
    yes, recent calls can be in or out! and guess what, it actually labels them as such. they're smartly labled "incoming" or "outgoing."

those posters that you reference either never bothered to check or don't own an iPhone.
    07-13-2007 09:35 AM
    yes, recent calls can be in or out! and guess what, it actually labels them as such. they're smartly labled "incoming" or "outgoing."

those posters that you reference either never bothered to check or don't own an iPhone.
    Yes they're labeled, but you have to select each call individually to see which it is. A simple color coding of incoming and outgoing would be better.
    07-13-2007 09:48 AM
    and to make it even easier, since missed calls are highlighted in red you only have to concentrate on those in black!
    07-13-2007 10:26 AM
    USA Today reports that early iPhone adopters are overwhelmingly happy with their iPhones.

In one of the first such studies, 90% of 200 owners said they were "extremely" or "very" satisfied with their phone. And 85% said they are "extremely" or "very" likely to recommend the device to others, says the online survey conducted and paid for by market researcher Interpret of Santa Monica, Calif. The firm surveyed 1,000 cellphone users July 6-10.

Of course, early adopters are a special population and may not reflect the satisfaction of later consumers as a whole. Some other interesting statistics that came from the studies are included:

51% of buyers were switching to AT&T from another carrier
    35% of carrier switchers paid an early termination fee (avg $167) to switch
    3 of 10 were first-time Apple customers.
    for 4 of 10, the iPhone was their first iPod
    New iPhone owners expected to pay about $35 more a month than their previous cellphone.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireles...#uslPageReturn
    07-13-2007 10:28 AM
    USA Today reports that early iPhone adopters are overwhelmingly happy with their iPhones.
    People are overwhelmingly too fat and not fit enough. Does that make it right? People buy "newspapers" in scary numbers only to read about Paris Hilton & the like. Does that mean I should?

iPhone is a pretty but fatally crippled smartphone. Not even if 101% of iPhone users thought it was the second coming would it make it half as capable for my actual needs as my 680.

Yes, I know Surur has been posting anecdotal evidence of iPhone horror-stories, but I've always thought that most iPhone users will be too undemanding (or even technically-challenged!) to notice either the design flaws or bugs.
    07-13-2007 10:45 AM
3,194 ... 2829303132 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD