It's actually true that I've been on here for years. I used to post extensively in the treo 650 forums
    Extensively...97 posts. :hmm:

Let ya off the hook, just kidden cmair. Welcome to the forums.
    07-09-2007 01:57 AM
    Extensively...97 posts. :hmm:

Let ya off the hook, just kidden cmair. Welcome to the forums.
    This is iPhone statistics/math.
    07-09-2007 02:11 AM
    This is iPhone statistics/math.
    07-09-2007 02:13 AM
    Surur,

Although you say you don't want to pollute phonedifferent.com forums, it seems you "have no credibility" over there, according to cmaier.

I found that comment interesting, since you don't post over there much.
    But he posts over here, and I've owned a treo 650 and been a member of this site for many years.
    Which is why I specifically do not rely on "credibility" I would think our iPhone owners are in fact relying on credibility when they tell us they never experienced a crash at all.

If they want to challenge anyone's credibility, why dont they go after the many many people who had problems. I notice llarson for example is a macrumours forum member, but he has not gone into threads and told people they must be imagining their crashes and are cherry-picking.

Surur
    07-09-2007 02:18 AM
    oalveraz,

Calling for mommy? I would have pegged you for much older, given your posts, which are generally articulate.
    07-09-2007 10:58 AM
    "The dog ate my login ID"

Yea, the system just changes dates randomly.
    07-09-2007 10:59 AM
    Last time I checked in it seemed everyone was starting to get along. I guess it was just a figment (sp?) of my imagination. Oh well, let the show go on (I'm thoroughly enjoying it).

To stay on topic, another thing I don't like about the iPhone is that my corporate acct gets stripped of it's discounts if I buy one.
    07-09-2007 11:20 AM
    Please post all iPhone related items to the Phonedifferent forums.
    But all the OMG P0n1ez!!! (iPhone) users will cry if we do that.
    07-09-2007 11:35 AM
    This is completely made up to make your point seem more valid. Are you remotely psychoanalyzing an entire group of unidentified individuals? This is just rambling.

Who are these people who have "buyers remorse"? It's like you are reifying metaphors.
    Give me another explanation for someone spending 2-3 hours a day searching the internet for bad postings and then reposting them in as many places as possible.
    07-09-2007 04:23 PM
    Give me another explanation for someone spending 2-3 hours a day searching the internet for bad postings and then reposting them in as many places as possible.
    Boredom?

Surur
    07-09-2007 04:46 PM
    Do I really need to explain that to someone with 5,300+ posts in 2 years (many of which are of this length)?
    07-09-2007 04:53 PM
    Which is why I specifically do not rely on "credibility" I would think our iPhone owners are in fact relying on credibility when they tell us they never experienced a crash at all.

If they want to challenge anyone's credibility, why dont they go after the many many people who had problems. I notice llarson for example is a macrumours forum member, but he has not gone into threads and told people they must be imagining their crashes and are cherry-picking.

Surur
    Had my first safari crash today. I had multiple webpages open and was going back and forth. Safari crashed and went back to the home screen. I didn't have to turn the device off or anything. I simply restarted Safari and went on my merry way.
    07-09-2007 06:38 PM
    Had my first safari crash today. I had multiple webpages open and was going back and forth. Safari crashed and went back to the home screen. I didn't have to turn the device off or anything. I simply restarted Safari and went on my merry way.
    If that is how crashing apps are handled (how they are supposed to be in OS X) then WTF won't Apple allow 3rd party apps? Apps crash, even the bundled web browser. So what? Now let someone make some decent PIMs for the damn thing.

One huge strength for Palms are the PIM apps. I'm a PDA user still, I want my phone top be a great PDA, more so than a great phone.
    07-09-2007 06:44 PM
    Do I really need to explain that to someone with 5,300+ posts in 2 years (many of which are of this length)?
    LOL
    07-09-2007 06:49 PM
    If that is how crashing apps are handled (how they are supposed to be in OS X) then WTF won't Apple allow 3rd party apps? Apps crash, even the bundled web browser. So what? Now let someone make some decent PIMs for the damn thing.

One huge strength for Palms are the PIM apps. I'm a PDA user still, I want my phone top be a great PDA, more so than a great phone.
    That's how it happened with me today. As far as OS X, I don't know. I don't own a Mac.
    07-09-2007 06:51 PM

As a Windows user, I do not know how OS X apps fail. I know that Windows apps fail to the "blue screen of death," and require a re-boot (on my sytem that takes minutes, not seconds or tens of seconds). I know that Treo (POS) apps fail, a half dozen times a day, to a reset or a hard stop that requires a reset, tens of seconds.

The only iPhone app that I have had "fail" is Safari. It does not require a reset or a reboot, only a restart of Safari, a second or two. The choice seems clear to me. What am I missing?
    07-09-2007 06:58 PM
    Here's an amusing quote. Kinds of reminds me of Windows 95.

YES: Cycle on/off daily

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by siurpeeman
    that's interesting. that's something i hadn't noticed before. but i gotta ask, why would you ever want to turn it off??

Originally Posted by motorazr
    I turn mine off just because it seems to loose performance if I leave it on for days (aka the last week, noticed today the performance loss)...
    I was having service issues and AT&T told me all of their phones should be cycled on/off once per day. Especially if you travel a lot with a cell phone.

The tech guy said it helps the phone re-register the SIM with a cell tower and clears out registrations which could begin to build up and make the phone harder to connect to cell towers properly.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=326053

Surur
    07-09-2007 07:00 PM
    Here's an amusing quote. Kinds of reminds me of Windows 95.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=326053

Surur
    wait!!!! If I turn it off, I can extend battery life? How cool is that!!!

So, If I had removed my battery from the Treo I could have saved its life too? $599 later and now you tell me!
    07-09-2007 07:05 PM
    wait!!!! If I turn it off, I can extend battery life? How cool is that!!!

So, If I had removed my battery from the Treo I could have saved its life too? $599 later and now you tell me!
    Misunderstanding central?

yepper soft reset fix it without a problem...What is happening is probably alot of software all running in the background at once....Doing a soft reset everything is working fine...Probably not a bad idea to soft reset anyway every know and then...

Originally Posted by Dermot81
    I think its a memory issue. I've noticed if I'm doing several things concurrently (especially multiple pages in safari), the chances of a home screen revert increase dramatically.
    That makes sense. I don't think there's a way to completely close out of an app after using it, so the would naturally pile up in the cache and resolve after a reboot, which everyone seems to be doing.
    This is unacceptable to me. I have used Windows Mobile devices for years, and they've typically required reboots every other day to run smoothly. Now, my Apple phone has to be rebooted every day to remain remotely stable?

It's a great phone, but Safari crashing both randomly and reproducibly (trying to search on the Apple trailers site, for instance) is a major failing of one of the core functions of this device. This had better be solved via a very quick update from Apple!
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=325013

Sounds like the iPhone needs a lot more maintenance than was promised originally.

Surur
    07-09-2007 07:10 PM
    That's how it happened with me today. As far as OS X, I don't know. I don't own a Mac.
    Well that's one up on OS X 10.4.10! When Tiger crashes it does something akin to the BSOD..you get the Black Screen of Type telling you to power down....so that's a plus for the iPhone (though I DID see three posts at least where they had to hard reset cuz they couldn't get past the apple icon).
    07-09-2007 07:31 PM
    Well that's one up on OS X 10.4.10! When Tiger crashes it does something akin to the BSOD..you get the Black Screen of Type telling you to power down....so that's a plus for the iPhone (though I DID see three posts at least where they had to hard reset cuz they couldn't get past the apple icon).
    That may well be true. I just haven't had to do a hard reset yet. I'm trying to give it a good workout too because if it becomes a pain, I want to know before my 14 days are up!
    07-09-2007 07:33 PM
    As a Windows user, I do not know how OS X apps fail. I know that Windows apps fail to the "blue screen of death," and require a re-boot (on my sytem that takes minutes, not seconds or tens of seconds). I know that Treo (POS) apps fail, a half dozen times a day, to a reset or a hard stop that requires a reset, tens of seconds.

The only iPhone app that I have had "fail" is Safari. It does not require a reset or a reboot, only a restart of Safari, a second or two. The choice seems clear to me. What am I missing?
    Have you ever owned a treo 680? This crash several times a day seems to be associated with the 650 (and the 30? MB ROM)..my treo 680 crashes maybe twice a week...if at all!Just curious...
    07-09-2007 08:04 PM
    Have you ever owned a treo 680? This crash several times a day seems to be associated with the 650 (and the 30? MB ROM)..my treo 680 crashes maybe twice a week...if at all!Just curious...
    With my 680 it has only crashed because of Agendus and DialByPhoto. Oh, also Opera Mini4, but that's a beta (Agendus is a perpetual beta though).
    07-09-2007 10:20 PM

My point is that if an iPhone crashes gracefully, ie doesn't bring the system down and require a reset, then what is this crappy excuse that 'no 3rd party apps' is for stability and security? If it it OS X it should be really secure to start, allow 3rd party apps already! Of course I think Apple wants to make money off any additional functionality and will limit others to web apps (of those are just so wundaba, nein?) This is my personal gripe against the iPhone, all other limitations etc are 'whatevers' to me, the one ling that kills it for me is there is no 'real' way to extend it's functionality. The BT implementation is further evidence of this needless neutering. And WTF is up with the headphone jack? As a Mac fan and gadget lover, this pisses me off mightily.
    07-09-2007 10:26 PM
    This is my personal gripe against the iPhone, all other limitations etc are 'whatevers' to me, the one ling that kills it for me is there is no 'real' way to extend it's functionality.
    I'm with you on this one, but i'm sure we'll see third party apps in the thing at some point.

The BT implementation is further evidence of this needless neutering.
    True, but i'll bet that Apple didn't add support for stereo bluetooth because their own Apple branded bluetooth headphones arent ready yet. When they are a simple software update can enable the rest of the bluetooth features that should have been there already.

And WTF is up with the headphone jack? As a Mac fan and gadget lover, this pisses me off mightily.
    Another issue for me, but a $10 headphone jack extender fixes the problem...
    07-09-2007 10:43 PM
3,194 ... 2425262728 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD