llarsen, please review TC terms of use before stating anyone is violating anything.

Before you "flame on", you need to do something flameworthy.
    07-07-2007 01:56 PM
    Maybe that'd have been true in 8th grade, but we're adults here.
    Adults spend day and night between this forum and seeking out critical iPhone posts on the web to copy them here with inane and nasty commentary?....

I check in every few days and can't believe the persistence.

Adults? This is schoolyard behavior with a twist of oddball personality disorder.
    07-07-2007 01:56 PM
    I find it hilarious how this thread is the 5th most popular in the "Other Devices" forum. Isn't there an iPhone forum? Don't you Palm/WM guys have anything else to talk about?

(realizing both parties are just a guilty...but it is funny none the less).

Carry on...
    Of course not...everybody has had their treos from anywhere between 2 months to 10 yrs! Every problem ahs been discussed umpteen times - after getting my treo 680 i wa on this forum straight for about 4 weeks..after that it was occasional as my phone was already set and running.

The iPhone is the new smug arrogant rich kid on the block (well Jobs is the arrogant smug & rich part) who claim they're better than your buddy who you've known for 5 yrs - a buddy who wasn't even trying to pick a fight. In your backyard (treocentral) - you're damn riht it's fun to give the new kid a right ribbing that's well deserved!
    07-07-2007 02:17 PM
    I don't think its fair to pollute the new iPhone forum with a thread negative to the iPhone. Obviously those people have already made their choices. I think its unfortunate that it even shows up in the phonedifferent New Posts list.

Surur
    Mentioned that over there - i think moderators feel there aren't enough members over there yet to justify cutting that site loose from treocentral...these "other handhelds" posts keep it active so to speak.
    07-07-2007 02:19 PM
    I also read that you cant edit calendar appointments on the iphone, but surely that is wrong
    That is incorrect.

I'm a believer the same can be said of the Treo. We have at least a hundred Treo's in our company. They range from the 600 to the 755. We have Palm OS and WM. We have not had a one want to give it up because they are having problems. In fact, when I did a poll of our users, they all stated they had no problems in their daily use.
    What ever you're doing to maintain them keep it up, that is not the normal in my experience.

You are missing the point of the thread again. Its not about my opinion (how much weight does that have in any case?) - its negative experiences by actual users, which is less easily dismissed.
    Most of what you are posting are isolated incidents, not issues indicative of a widespread problem.

This is to counter the hype of the wonderful user experience everybody is proclaiming all over the place.
    That really pains you doesnt it...
    07-07-2007 02:41 PM
    The iPhone is the new smug arrogant rich kid on the block (well Jobs is the arrogant smug & rich part) who claim they're better than your buddy who you've known for 5 yrs - a buddy who wasn't even trying to pick a fight. In your backyard (treocentral) - you're damn riht it's fun to give the new kid a right ribbing that's well deserved!
    why do you use "rich kid" in association with the iPhone? is it necessary?

and what are these rich kids claiming? who is your buddy?

and this new kid, why does he deserve a ribbing? did he insult you?
    07-07-2007 03:06 PM
    The iPhone has brought out the nasty angry people all because Steve Jobs and Apples marketing has played this up to the best PDA phone in existence and years ahead of the competition. And it pisses people off. Even if it were true, it's still rubbing it in. Especially when iPhone people go to a Treo forum and start talking about how it's better than a Treo.
    iPhone people should not look for acceptance amongst a Treo community to validate the iPhone as the best tool. They should expect a backlash. I don't walk in to a mac store and start talking about how my Windows Vista PC is better than what they have there and expect them to agree, I'm going to get nothing but an argument.

It's like when Windows 95 came out and everyone wore those stupid shirts that said "Windows 95 = Mac 89." While funny, it was infuriating because the statement couldn't be further from the truth. Mac 89 couldn't even multitask.

Just as the iPhone does not replace the blackberry and Treos despite Job's extremely smug claims. It doesn't even come close. But the 'sheep' bow down to the Job's God and and say "yes master, fancy UI, ooooh shiny object, oooh yes Steve Jobs is a Genius." OK so I'm exaggerating but that's how iPhone fans sound sometimes.

Don't get me wrong I'm nobody's fanboy and I'm not an iPhone hater. I quite like the iPhone in more ways that I don't. And I did try it for myself, I'm not going on 'what I hear.' It's not for me, at least not in it's current state, so be it. The only reason I visited this thread in the fist place was to add my opinion after trying it for myself.

But even I can't just 'walk away' after the Apple media blitz playing up how the iPhone is solution to the world's cel phone problems.

Maybe I should. Ok unsubscribing now. I can't take this.
    07-07-2007 03:23 PM
    zeze22,

I know you are but what am I? ;-)

I only have three word for the most advanced PDA/phone/pmp that is 5 years ahead of everybody else: Cut and paste.
    07-07-2007 03:30 PM
    zeze22,

I only have three word for the most advanced PDA/phone/pmp that is 5 years ahead of everybody else: Cut and paste.
    Who cares about cut and paste if your phone is crashing all the time (treo 700p), or unusable as a cellphone ( htc 8125). I did use it every now and then on my blackberry (a far better and more reliable platform than either palm or win mobile).
    07-07-2007 03:34 PM
    question, are there individuals claiming that it's a more capable device or are they claiming that they like the device better than some other?

it makes me laugh (and i'm sure it does many others) when i hear that Apple's marketing strategy (and success...check their stock price over the last couple of years and let me know what you see) "pisses them off." it's a marketing strategy, don't let it bother you so.

it is a fancy UI, perhaps one of the best out there right now.
    07-07-2007 03:34 PM
    Who cares about cut and paste if your phone is crashing all the time (treo 700p), or unusable as a cellphone ( htc 8125). I did use it every now and then on my blackberry (a far better and more reliable platform than either palm or win mobile).
    ^^^^The Truth^^^^
    07-07-2007 03:51 PM
    Most of what you are posting are isolated incidents, not issues indicative of a widespread problem.
    We don't know that, do we. Safari crashing seems quite common actually.

Surur
    07-07-2007 04:00 PM
    "Who cares about cut and paste?"

Obviously not people who like re-typing data unnecessarily.

I bet if you did a poll on any pda/smartphoneforum, that function would be highly desired/expected.
    07-07-2007 04:18 PM
    Great argument! So there shouldn't be a feature on the iPhone because you don't like your 700p or 8525.

Brilliant.
    I really dont understand why people that dislike the iPhone spend time posting on iPhone forums, searching the official apple message boards for bad reviews, and posting any negative thing they can find about the device.
    maybe they don't have anything better to do and it makes them feel good
    As to the heroic and sane job or posting relentlessly in this thread to defend the iPhone? Why do you folks care so much that people in this one thread want to rip on the iPhone?

Quit trying to crash the party, skirt over the iPhone forums and have a blast.
    07-07-2007 04:24 PM
    cut and paste is a good feature, no doubt.

it just doesn't seem like it's a requirement. if you don't believe me, ask the 1mm (1MM, 1million, one million) individuals who purchased one.
    07-07-2007 04:26 PM
    Quit trying to crash the party, skirt over the iPhone forums and have a blast.
    ok, you guys continue to have your fun

07-07-2007 04:30 PM
    ok, you guys continue to have your fun
    Great! Maybe we'll see a lot less of this from you guys...

07-07-2007 04:38 PM
    I know that kid...isn't that Archie at the Apple store when he heard they were sold out?
    07-07-2007 04:55 PM
    "Who cares about cut and paste?"

Obviously not people who like re-typing data unnecessarily.

I bet if you did a poll on any pda/smartphoneforum, that function would be highly desired/expected.
    unfortunately, you only quoted half of my statement.
    07-07-2007 05:15 PM
    Great argument! So there shouldn't be a feature on the iPhone because you don't like your 700p or 8525.

Brilliant.

As to the heroic and sane job or posting relentlessly in this thread to defend the iPhone? Why do you folks care so much that people in this one thread want to rip on the iPhone?

Point 1. Once again, read my whole statement. I never said there shouldnt be cut and paste.

Point 2. Kind of like the heroic sane job of posting relentlessly in this thread to slam the iPhone.
    07-07-2007 05:17 PM
    We don't know that, do we.
    Actually since what you are posting are isolated incidents that kinda makes it clear that that is what they are. People would be posting and adding had they had the same issues.

Safari crashing seems quite common actually.
    I wouldn't doubt that many people have had safari crash on them, but it isnt a repeating event. I'd take Safari with a monthly crash over the WM IE or Blazer any day of the week, its the best browser on any device of it's size even without flash, when that gets added it wont even be close.
    07-07-2007 05:21 PM
    I'd take Safari with a monthly crash over the WM IE or Blazer any day of the week, its the best browser on any device of it's size even without flash, when that gets added it wont even be close.
    I will add to that, I will take safari shutting down back to the home screen than the device resets and freezes that are common on POS and Win Mobile devices.
    07-07-2007 05:34 PM
    Point 1. Once again, read my whole statement. I never said there shouldnt be cut and paste.
    Okay mobileman, go for it...

What is your argument in this post exactly:

We're not talking about 700p's here. We're not talking about 8125's and we're not talking about BB's--that's all stuff you added.

So what are you trying to say?
    Point 2. Kind of like the heroic sane job of posting relentlessly in this thread to slam the iPhone.
    Way to make it circular! You're not very good at arguing are you?

So when you guys write:
    I really dont understand why people that dislike the iPhone spend time posting on iPhone forums, searching the official apple message boards for bad reviews, and posting any negative thing they can find about the device.
    maybe they don't have anything better to do and it makes them feel good
    and then I respond with my post, you retort with...

Saying the same thing (paraphrasing) that I quoted you saying! Bravo. :thumbsup:

Yes, the topic of this thread is pointing out things that suck about the iPhone. You are not adding to that discussion.
    07-07-2007 05:38 PM
    Schadenfreude is sweet, isn't it! :evil:
    This has been the best second page followed by the best first page of any thread I have read on this forum in a long, long time. I like apple for their designers' eye, but loathe their arrogance and unctuousness business practices and specious products.
    07-07-2007 05:48 PM
    Its not only on this website that iPhone fans are asking for a break.

thiagofll 07-05-2007 12:46 PM

------------------------------
    Let's give Apple a break...

I, by no means am an Apple fanatic or one of those dorks (no offense) that when people complain about the iPhone respond with "what else do you want? A time machine? A dishwasher?"
    The iPhone is not perfect like EVERY PHONE OUT THERE. In the past 3 months I've had a Blackberry Pearl, a Blackberry 8300 Curve, a Blackberry 8800, a LG Prada and a Nokia E61i. I can honestly say that the iPhone (in my opinion) is not perfect but it is an awesome phone. Safari mobile is the first browser that actually works as if I was using a computer, it is intuitive, easy to switch browser windows, loads pretty much every page on the web.
    The iPod feature works great and sounds just like an iPod.
    Google Maps works great as well and the fact that you can get directions to your friends house just by accessing the address book is a big plus.
    The touch screen is the best I have ever used. I had an LG Prada (which I had paid $700 for), the screen was not as bright, the touch screen sucked, it did not even have a qwerty keyboard, so the phone was pretty much crap for the price.
    The Blackberries are great phones but the browser really did annoy me. The qwerty keyboard on the blackberry is not any better than the iPhones, it is just getting used to.
    If Apple had included the 3G functionality on the phone, as they stated, the phone would be larger than what it is, and of course there would be people whinning about it. Apple is about design and that's what I love about their company.

All the bugs in the phone such as not being able to set your own ringtones, Flash, Safari crashes will be fixed with time.

I think this phone works as stated, the touchscreen is awesome. Try the LG Prada and you will see how great you have it with the iPhone.

I have gotten used to the iPhone already, to the point that, I try to touch my laptop's screen instead of using the mouse.

Apple has delivered what they promised and I am happy with it.
    Bottom line, it is an electronic, nothing is ever perfect specially when design is the main key.

dagomike 07-05-2007 12:57 PM

--------------------------
    As soon as people see the iPhone for what it is and not what it isn't, the better. If it doesn't meet your needs for the price, then wait -- and quit *****ing about choosing to wait.

Chupa Chupa 07-05-2007 12:58 PM

-----------------------------
    I love my iPhone too, but it can be better. I appreciate all the positive criticism on the Web. Hopefully it keeps Apple level headed and intent on fixing the obvious bugs and flaws quickly, and maybe beefing up the available widgets. I don't think this is the time to give Apple a pass. Kudos on a great product, yes, but with an asterisk.

zgh1999 07-05-2007 05:46 PM

-------------------------------------

Originally Posted by dagomike (Post 3877345)
    As soon as people see the iPhone for what it is and not what it isn't, the better. If it doesn't meet your needs for the price, then wait -- and quit *****ing about choosing to wait.

Exactly.

I suspect the some/many of the iPhone basher here work for entities hostile to Apple.

Chip NoVaMac 07-05-2007 09:31 PM

--------------------------------
    Originally Posted by thiagofll (Post 3877290)
    The iPhone is not perfect like EVERY PHONE OUT THERE. In the past 3 months I've had a Blackberry Pearl, a Blackberry 8300 Curve, a Blackberry 8800, a LG Prada and a Nokia E61i. I can honestly say that the iPhone (in my opinion) is not perfect but it is an awesome phone. Safari mobile is the first browser that actually works as if I was using a computer, it is intuitive, easy to switch browser windows, loads pretty much every page on the web.
    -------------------------------

I agree totally! For the past two years I have put up with the Treo 650. Blazer browser was a pain for many reasons. And even with my aging eyes, there are many sites that I can browse without zooming in to read and navigate.

All the bugs in the phone such as not being able to set your own ringtones, Flash, Safari crashes will be fixed with time.
    From your lips to Apple's ears.

The ringtone thing was the biggest disappointment for me. Why have such a great MP3 player that can't play those as ringtones?

Crashes have not been a big issue for me. Yes, a few have happened - but most seemed to be traced to my USB hub (which is powered). But using the USB port on my iMac seems to have cured that.

Flash would be nice, but I have found that I love the simpler sites more after cruising the net on the iPhone...

Apple has delivered what they promised and I am happy with it.
    Bottom line, it is an electronic, nothing is ever perfect specially when design is the main key.
    Amen....

appleintelrock 07-06-2007 01:55 AM

I think that if we gave Apple a break... we'd start to see a decline in what they innovate. Unquestioning consumers use Windows... Apple doesn't deserve a break... it isn't as if they give us free products or something.

BWhaler 07-06-2007 04:32 AM

------------------------------
    I agree.

I think for a 1.0 product, it is pretty incredible. I hope we get a very solid and sizable bug fix soon. The crashing is a bummer.

Then, Apple can add the missing features as need be.

But giving credit where it is due, the iPhone is fantastic.

OrleansMac 07-06-2007 09:03 PM

-------------------------------

Originally Posted by appleintelrock (Post 3880871)
    I think that if we gave Apple a break... we'd start to see a decline in what they innovate. Unquestioning consumers use Windows... Apple doesn't deserve a break... it isn't as if they give us free products or something.

Agreed.

I find that almost all my Apple products are very good, sturdy, and on the mark. I love Apple

But I don't mind giving them quite a bit of criticism because they do a solid job of listening and putting it into effect.

Plus, they have been getting a LOT of great press the last year or so in the media so a little consumer complaints isnt going to get anyone fired.

appleintelrock 07-06-2007 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by OrleansMac (Post 3885124)
    Agreed.

I find that almost all my Apple products are very good, sturdy, and on the mark. I love Apple

But I don't mind giving them quite a bit of criticism because they do a solid job of listening and putting it into effect.

Plus, they have been getting a LOT of great press the last year or so in the media so a little consumer complaints isnt going to get anyone fired.

exactly. EVERYTHING you hear in the media now-adays is almost 100% pro apple. as I've said before, constructive criticism is always needed if improvement is what you're looking for.

sshrivastava 07-07-2007 03:16 AM

I could not disagree more. Apple promised a revolutionary product, and instead delivered a mediocre product with a revolutionary user interface. The $600 iPhone lacks absolutely basic features that other products have had for years and for half the price -- caps lock, multiple SMS recipients, bcc email, tethering, unbundled data plans, and much more. The iPhone has a nice web browser where you can't even set the default magnification, and if browsing the web was THAT important to me I'd do it the right way with my laptop and broadband card.

The iPhone is a big disappointment, but then again I don't drink the same kool-aid as the rest of you. I am a big Apple fan, I have several Macs in my home, and was rooting for Apple throughout this product launch. For those of us who want to actually use the iPhone for internet-based COMMUNICATION and productivity, it falls seriously short. For casual users it's probably the best thing since sliced bread.

OrleansMac 07-07-2007 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by sshrivastava (Post 3886226)
    For those of us who want to actually use the iPhone for internet-based COMMUNICATION and productivity, it falls seriously short. For casual users it's probably the best thing since sliced bread.

I would agree with you on this but I would also say that before I bought the iPhone...I knew it wasn't going to be as much of a work-phone as I wanted it to be.

The battery life imo is terrible BUT I am going to try out what some posters have suggested next weekend and see if battery life gets better (such as turning off wifi, ext...).

I think of it this way....is the iPhone a upgrade for me over my last Cingular phone? Absolutely...

But if someone has a Blackberry and uses it daily and is thinking of switching...I am not sure if I would do it.

Madame Defarge 07-07-2007 03:45 PM

Are we iSheep?

Re: Let's give Apple a break...

While Apple gets an A+ for it's ability to conceptualize a revolutionary device, from what I'm reading on the boards (both here and at Apple support) they get anywhere from an A- to a D- on execution. The battery issue being the biggest concern.

If the battery is a hardware issue and Apple won't replace them for free, then tens of thousands, if not more people will be screwed.

There is no warranty on the battery, even with Apple Care, and it costs $86 to replace them. And people will have to do without their phones.

While the crashes can probably be fixed with eventual software updates, these problems seem like a pretty high price to pay, especially for people who depend on their phones for business, or it's the only phone they have.

Bottom line, if these issues (especially the battery) didn't come up in testing, they need to seriously rethink that process. If they did, they had no business releasing the phone until it was ready.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=325760

(worst apologist posts cut for brevity.)

BTW, the consensus seems to be that Safari does crash a lot.

Surur
    07-07-2007 05:57 PM
3,194 ... 1920212223 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD