I reserve the right to have 'Cocaine' play when certain friends of mine call

oalvarez is the ultimate fanboy, he can't admit this is one of the things that truly sucks about the iPhone. And just because it may have 10 things (more or less) that suck doesn't mean it isn't a great phone for some people. But it does suck that you don't get this simple feature on a $600 phone. WhyTF not?
    08-22-2007 02:13 AM
    I guess being 5 years ahead means in 5 years phones won't let you use your music collection as ringtones :shake:
    08-22-2007 02:15 AM
    What's really funny is Nokia's built in ringtones put Apple's to shame. They sound way better and they STILL allow you to use your own ringtones! SE won't give you many but you can use whatever you want from an installed memory card, another thing Apple decided we didn't need.

:thumbsdn: again.
    08-22-2007 02:20 AM
    Correction from previous post:

It did NOT surprise me to see AT&T get bent by Apple, but it did surprise me the Euroboys followed suit.
    08-22-2007 03:05 AM
    So besides feeling stupid, iPhone users also have reason to feel nervous... very nervous...

coolbreeze
    macrumors regular

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had to restore, and lost countless notes, all my visual voicemails, settings, etc. No my phone wasn't hacked.

Buyer beware. Apple either needs to fix the broken update process or give us a reliable way to back things up (i.e. integrate notes with the computer).

This is great. I had so many work notes, names, to-do lists.

Not sure what I'm going to do now. They are gone forever. For once I wish I still had my blackerry. At least it was solidly reliable with data/syncing/backing up/etc.

Edit: I was reading more on this, and as many have mentioned, it seems Apple decided to trash people's phones who added ringers, etc with ifuntastic, etc. I wasn't one of them, but here's my concern. SO WHAT if people wanted to put a silly ringtone on their phone. Apple decides to get revenge by WIPING their notes, voicemails, etc. Not cool, and certainly not cool if you use the phone for business. No, you shouldn't hack a business phone, but Apple shouldn't retaliate to this extreme. Imagine if in the future you load an "unsigned" app or something, innocently update to 1.1.4 or something, and BAM, everything's gone. It would have been one thing if Apple stated clearly "if you hacked your iPhone, all software updates will erase notes, voicemail, etc, etc."

...or they could have simply allowed us to make a working backup. I'm not referring to the iTunes copy that suddenly disappears during the update either.

Now, wonder why this happened to my phone? Makes me nervous, that's for sure.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=164

Surur
    08-22-2007 10:32 AM
    Why would anyone want native Apps? To some, the answer comes to mind rather easily.

- - Games, but No IM App Yet

scotty588 08-15-2007 03:22 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Games, but No IM App Yet

Don't get me wrong games are fun, but I am really dying for an iChat app. I haven't used "jailbreak" on my phone yet, but if someone comes out with an IM app I think I might. If people can make these games I am sure this is possible. Just my 2 cents.

AHDuke99 08-15-2007 05:38 PM

http://www.beejive.com/iphone/

scotty588 08-15-2007 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one3 (Post 4053171)
    http://www.beejive.com/iphone/

I am well aware of the many web apps for IMing. I am talking about actual apps that sit in the menu of the phone.

cmaier 08-16-2007 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty588 (Post 4053451)
    I am well aware of the many web apps for IMing. I am talking about actual apps that sit in the menu of the phone.

What would be the advantage of a native app over a web app like the new meebo client or beejive?

I always use web clients on my desktop for IM, so i'm just wondering. The only thing I can think of is a native client could at least turn off the screen and "wake up" on an incoming chat or something, but I'm imagining the radio polling is burning more battery than the screen.

The General 08-16-2007 12:03 PM

Quote:

Steve1496 08-18-2007 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmaier (Post 4056346)
    What would be the advantage of a native app over a web app like the new meebo client or beejive?

I always use web clients on my desktop for IM, so i'm just wondering. The only thing I can think of is a native client could at least turn off the screen and "wake up" on an incoming chat or something, but I'm imagining the radio polling is burning more battery than the screen.

I can think of several off the bat:
    -Multitasking
    -Screen wake/sleep
    -Better integration
    -Easy network reconnect in the event of a drop. Similar to what FlickIM has, but can usually be implemented better natively.
    -Faster UI

kwjohns 08-18-2007 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve1496 (Post 4064184)
    I can think of several off the bat:
    -Multitasking
    -Screen wake/sleep
    -Better integration
    -Easy network reconnect in the event of a drop. Similar to what FlickIM has, but can usually be implemented better natively.
    -Faster UI

-Notification of a received IM via a popup, tone or vibrate.
    -Don't have to download the images that make up the interface everytime you connect (could file under faster UI)

IDANNY 08-18-2007 08:32 PM

Not to mention the web apps disconnect you if you have your phone on standby. A phone app wouldnt do that.

racemize 08-20-2007 10:13 AM

it's needed for the notification (i.e., vibrate on receive like an sms or email message).
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=342307

Surur
    08-22-2007 10:44 AM
    Well, there is one way to deal with critisms... ignore it.

cmaier 08-11-2007 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by The General (Post 4035924)
    There are people who haven't jailbreak'd?

What are you talking about? You've managed to blow this way out of proportion. You're reading between the lines and putting words in my mouth. Web apps are trash, period. That's all they are, straight up garbage. Every last one of them. Are you just bitter because you've wasted a lot of time on this junk?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=335882

Did you make those?

If you want to develop good programs, then write native apps. There are more people who have jailbreak'd and use these new native apps than there are people who want to look at this web 2.0 nonsense.

I'm not making a political statement at all. What I'm saying is that we don't need 30 different BeJeweled web apps, especially since they are all garbage.

I don't care whether or not you think my opinion is silly. It's silly of you to say something like that.

So, I will repeat:

I think web apps are absolutely useless garbage that need to disappear. None of them serve any purpose whatsoever, and they all half work. If you want to make an application, write a native one.
    Rather than read any more of your childish nonsense, I'll just add you to my ignore list. You clearly have nothing worthwhile to say.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/printthread.php?t=340337

Surur
    08-22-2007 11:29 AM
    iPhone who?

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news...s.php?id=14618

Even at 500 euros, it will still be cheaper to get a free smartphone and one of these cards than a crippled iPhone.

Surur
    08-22-2007 11:43 AM
    Even an iphone user such as myself can admit that it is pretty sad to see all of the fanboys stick up for obvious drawbacks.

Who would want a native IM client? LOL

Why would you want more ringtones? LOL

Or the classic....Why did you buy it ASSUMING you would be able to do these things that EVERY OTHER PHONE does? <---My favorite.
    08-22-2007 11:47 AM
    Yep, no expandable memory sucks. The iPhone does have lots to like, but all the things that suck seem to be marketing decisions on how to maximize profits for Apple. (No expandable memory means you buy a new 16 GB model, then a 32, then a 64...) Sure this makes sense for their business but the degree this is true for the iPhone seems beyond any other phone. It is unnecessarily crippled in some areas until Apple figures out how to make another buck. That leaves a bad taste in my mouth and makes all the good aspects a little less so.
    08-22-2007 11:52 AM
    Even an iphone user such as myself can admit that it is pretty sad to see all of the fanboys stick up for obvious drawbacks.

Who would want a native IM client? LOL

Why would you want more ringtones? LOL

Or the classic....Why did you buy it ASSUMING you would be able to do these things that EVERY OTHER PHONE does? <---My favorite.
    Thanks Patty for your honesty.
    08-22-2007 11:53 AM
    There is a lot of talk about how frequently people replace phones, but just look how many Treo 650 users there still are. They will be able to ride the SD train for a long time to come still.

Surur
    08-22-2007 11:56 AM
    There is a lot of talk about how frequently people replace phones, but just look how many Treo 650 users there still are. They will be able to ride the SD train for a long time to come still.

Surur
    I think it's reasonable to want to replace a $50 phone very frequently, but a $600 phone should have some legs.
    08-22-2007 12:03 PM
    Was that our own cmaier calling it nonsense that someone wants real apps instead of web apps?

Sure the guy was a bit vocieferous, but hey, for $600 and a locked carrier for 2 years, I think you have the right to be.

I think the update wiping people's phones will be a bigger issue as time goes on...I lose all my contacts, etc. without a backup and I am one pissed camper.

But you know what, you shouldn't be upset - because it's just a toy. A pretty toy, no doubt, but still a toy.
    08-22-2007 01:58 PM

Surur
    I'm not so sure about that. I'm sure manufacturers look at SD cards now as a storage device for digital cameras primarily. Almost every new phone in the last 3-4 years use mini or micro cards.

Sure people still have 650's, and I believe the 680 uses standard SD cards as well. I still think cameras are the primary destinations of SD cards now.
    08-22-2007 02:05 PM

I think the update wiping people's phones will be a bigger issue as time goes on...I lose all my contacts, etc. without a backup and I am one pissed camper.

But you know what, you shouldn't be upset - because it's just a toy. A pretty toy, no doubt, but still a toy.
    SO FAR, the only issues reported have been with those who have hacked their phones. And you ALWAYS have outlook on your PC as a backup for the important stuff.

As far as a toy, you can say that if it makes you feel better. I still use it more than my treo, after 2 months now, and I never attempt to belittle the Treo by calling it a brick, toy, obsolete (in many ways), etc. The treo can be so much more than what it is, just check other phones on the market. The same could be said about the iphone, obviously. But we live with what we have, and I choose to live with the iPhone. Believe me, when I need Slingbox, I use the Treo. I even keep it in my car most of the time so I can switch the SIM real quick. But it rarely happens, even after I put wm6 on the Treo.
    08-22-2007 02:11 PM
    Sure people still have 650's, and I believe the 680 uses standard SD cards as well. I still think cameras are the primary destinations of SD cards now.
    Sure, SD cards (and even CF cards) are saved by the huge camera market, but that does not really make a difference to their usability and availability, and in fact the huge size of pictures these days give a great impetus for increasing capacity and speed, and the large market helps prices go down, so devices with SDHC card slots are in an amazing win-win situation.

Surur
    08-22-2007 02:15 PM
    SO FAR, the only issues reported have been with those who have hacked their phones.
    There are some people who are reporting having to do a restore even if they did not hack their phone, even for ring tones.

Surur
    08-22-2007 02:17 PM
    Well, there is one way to deal with critisms... ignore it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/printthread.php?t=340337

Surur
    Give me a break, Surur. The guy was speaking in hyperbole. Anyone who's used pickleview, fumbleview, beejive or iphone-meebo or the like knows that not all web apps are "garbage." And he started out by blasting some poor guy for posting a link to a game he wrote, and he hadn't even tried the game.

A lot of web apps are of questionable value, but the guy just kept spouting more and more vague generalizations while refusing to discuss the details of the app he was talking about. If you posted the entire thread people would see that I suggested if he was trying to make a political statement about lack of 3rd-party API support, that's fine, but he should avoid picking on a poor guy who was just trying to supply a free game to iphone users.
    08-22-2007 03:58 PM
    Why would anyone want native Apps? To some, the answer comes to mind rather easily.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=342307

Surur
    Surur, please don't misquote me by implication. I didn't say "why would anyone want native Apps?" I desperately want native apps, and, in fact, I'm early in the process of writing one (and, off-topic, the unpublished iphone sdk's are quite elegant compared to palm or windows. i really hope they make these official).

My only question was about a native IM client since, as I pointed out, I always, even on a PC, use a web-based IM client. I had already pointed out the obvious issue with integration into the alerts system, and I was honestly wondering if there were other reasons a native IM client would be preferable. (Personally, if my phone/computer is off, i don't WANT people to see me on-line for IM, so having it run only when the browser is running is okay for me, but that's just me. Note - it continues to run in background tabs, so it's an issue of whether the phone is in standby or not. And, as pointed out in the thread, some of the clients don't disconnect you on standby - they just mark you as away).

If you read the thread, the only reason they came up with for a native IM app is the reason I mentioned - integrating it into the alerts. I guess "faster UI" (but i'm not sure what they mean - it's pretty instantaneous in meebo-iphone), and multitasking (i'm not sure on that - it seems to me that meebo stays running and working when i leave the browser, but, of course, when an incoming chat comes in i don't get an alert).

One they left off is integration into the contacts database.

Anyway, my question was legitimate, and you mis-summarizing is pretty weak.
    08-22-2007 04:09 PM
    Was that our own cmaier calling it nonsense that someone wants real apps instead of web apps?

Sure the guy was a bit vocieferous, but hey, for $600 and a locked carrier for 2 years, I think you have the right to be.

Mike, why don't you read the whole thread to see what I actually said. Some poor dude makes the effort to write a game and provide it for free to iphone users, and some ***** calls it garbage and mouths off, without ever even trying the game. It was uncivilized and uncalled for. As I pointed out to him, if he wants to blast Apple for not allowing 3rd party apps, that's one thing, but don't pick on a poor guy who is just trying to make the best of what we currently have to work with.

By the way - I've applied a total of 4 updates to my 2 iphones (2 each) without losing any data at all. I updated my treo 650 twice and lost no data either. However my treo lost data all on its own at least 4 times (I'd turn it on and find it had mysteriously reverted to factory defaults). I'm guessing the iphone problems are not very widespread beyond people who've jailbreaked (i've been following the boards at least as closely as surur). If it happened to me, I'd be pissed, but as long as it isn't happening very often, I don't expect much of a backlash - it took years of unreliability PLUS complete lack of innovation and constantly changing marketplans before it caught up to Palm :-)
    08-22-2007 04:19 PM
    I'm not so sure about that. I'm sure manufacturers look at SD cards now as a storage device for digital cameras primarily. Almost every new phone in the last 3-4 years use mini or micro cards.
    Indeed. So you just buy a micro or min and use the free adapter you usually get with them.

I use an mini-SD exclusively on my 700wx but it's in the SD adapter. Looks and works the same.

I'll probably bump to micro-SD soon if these 16gb chips are out in the next 8 months or so to get a bit of a price drop. I feel confident microSD will be around for awhile and adaptable to any device I use.
    08-22-2007 04:20 PM
    Surur, please don't misquote me by implication. I didn't say "why would anyone want native Apps?" I desperately want native apps, and, in fact, I'm early in the process of writing one (and, off-topic, the unpublished iphone sdk's are quite elegant compared to palm or windows. i really hope they make these official).

So, how's that virtual memory doing?

Surur
    08-22-2007 04:24 PM
    However my treo lost data all on its own at least 4 times (I'd turn it on and find it had mysteriously reverted to factory defaults).
    ah, I remember when that happened with my 650. I just left the house and jumped on the train and turned on my 650. It kindly did a soft-reset on it's own and lost all my databases. Now all my registered programs were expired trials and I lost just about everything. Good times. lol
    08-22-2007 04:25 PM
    Indeed. So you just buy a micro or min and use the free adapter you usually get with them.

I use an mini-SD exclusively on my 700wx but it's in the SD adapter. Looks and works the same.

I'll probably bump to micro-SD soon if these 16gb chips are out in the next 8 months or so to get a bit of a price drop. I feel confident microSD will be around for awhile and adaptable to any device I use.
    I just bought a 4GB SDHC microSD card for 33 (about $55 without tax). Really nice.

Surur
    08-22-2007 04:27 PM
3,194 ... 109110111112113 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD