Oalveraz, I'll save you the time. Search for "broken antenna" on TC.

Review the threads...there are maybe 6 people who have dropped the Treo and had the antenna break off due to a drop. And that's since the Treo 600.

Wow...that seems like such a big problem (at least with according to the search).

Next time you want to assert some tripe, I suggest you be ready to back it up.

(Archie, is that you?)
    08-19-2007 11:40 PM
    I see the stupidity is still going on.
    08-20-2007 12:11 AM
    iPhone users feeling stupid ... I thought that was their natural state...

Akira1980
    macrumors member

Join Date: May 2007 I am waiting for Apple to relase the update that will enable ringtones through iTunes. Funny thing is that people expect the custom ringtones on the iPhone. And when I tell them iPhone doesn't have it. They are like, . And the next few words are, "But doesn't it sync with iTunes?" And I have to tell them although it syncs with iTunes and play all the songs, the songs can not be used as ringtones. I feel kind of stupid everytime I have to repeat that.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=343994

Surur
    08-20-2007 05:52 AM

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=343994

Surur
    Perhaps we are but we are blissfully ignorant. The nice thing about being senile is that we do not notice.
    08-20-2007 08:52 AM
    And I have to tell them although it syncs with iTunes and play all the songs, the songs can not be used as ringtones. I feel kind of stupid everytime I have to repeat that.
    It would probably be easier to explain pending "gender reassignment" surgery than to explain why your music/entertainment phone can't use the music it's designed to play as its own ringtone!
    08-21-2007 01:21 PM
    It would probably be easier to explain pending "gender reassignment" surgery than to explain why your music/entertainment phone can't use the music it's designed to play as its own ringtone!
    Yep, that is just STUPID that it doesn't allow that.
    08-21-2007 01:50 PM
    the thing is that some users out there could care less if they could assign their latest boyz to men clip to their ringers. it might seem stupid that the iPhone doesn't allow for such but customized ringers beyond what the iPhone already offers seems almost sophmoric in my opinion. but i do understand that some out there might want that option so either they would have to wait for an update or keep what they currently have.

they're ringtones for crying out loud......
    08-21-2007 06:45 PM
    the thing is that some users out there could care less if they could assign their latest boyz to men clip to their ringers. it might seem stupid that the iPhone doesn't allow for such but customized ringers beyond what the iPhone already offers seems almost sophmoric in my opinion. but i do understand that some out there might want that option so either they would have to wait for an update or keep what they currently have.

Actually, the real issue is not whether people feel if they are necessary or not (a diversion from the issue) but rather that there is no real reason offered as to why such a simple feature is absent. It's not as if the iPhone is incapable of doing this it just was not implemented, presumably on purpose (does anyone really believe Apple spent years making this and the topic of ringers never arose in development?)

Fact is, even the simplest flip phones have this feature and people have become very accustomed to it (it's even a big money maker). With 4-8gb of music, it is not surprising to for people to connect the dots between their music and ringers, noticing something missing that their $50 old phone could do.

The big question though is of $$: IF Apple enables this in the future, will it be open or iTunes restricted e.g. you have to buy each ringer. I presume the latter.
    08-21-2007 07:19 PM
    winded!
    08-21-2007 07:42 PM
    Get ready Surur for 1.02 stories (even Engadget lost their backup) :evil:

08-21-2007 07:54 PM

See, this is why you get called an appologist.
    08-21-2007 08:26 PM
    3 things:

-Oalveraz silent on his Treo antenna breaking assertion, I supposed admitting he got his bluff called by asserting a falsehood.

- Apple update comes out...just bug fixes.

- Apple selling refurb units, $100 off. This to me is big news, indicating they are not selling as many as thought and getting a lot of returns. Who sells refurb phones, esp after being out less than two months? (I know Sprint gives them as warranty replacements...) I think this is a downscale move by Apple, but I guess we will see.
    08-21-2007 08:46 PM

Personalized phones anyone? And yes, they're important to some for that very reason. And also to assign different ringtones to different callers.

No other manufacturer seems to have a problem letting people personalize their phones. Usually it's the carrier who does the stupid DRM thing with your ringtones, which makes me wonder if ATT and Apple(since they own DRM iTunes) together didn't have a hand in this deliberately, meaning that feature was left out on purpose.
    08-21-2007 09:37 PM
    3 things:

-Oalveraz silent on his Treo antenna breaking assertion, I supposed admitting he got his bluff called by asserting a falsehood.

- Apple update comes out...just bug fixes.

- Apple selling refurb units, $100 off. This to me is big news, indicating they are not selling as many as thought and getting a lot of returns. Who sells refurb phones, esp after being out less than two months? (I know Sprint gives them as warranty replacements...) I think this is a downscale move by Apple, but I guess we will see.
    Is that true, refurbs for $100 off? Those may be returns that were cleaned up, but if they're in good shape, not a bad deal for the 4GB.

Some people have started selling their used one for $100 off on CL also.
    08-21-2007 09:40 PM
    I don't think the refurb iPhones are any indication of bad sales etc. Apple always offers refurbs, I bought an iPod refurb'ed when they were selling like hotcakes.
    08-21-2007 09:46 PM
    braj...thanks for the info...I never saw the refurb iPods, but wasn't looking for them.
    08-21-2007 10:15 PM
    See, this is why you get called an appologist.
    i did say "it might seem stupid that it can't"

hardly appologist....read more closely next time, thanks!
    08-21-2007 11:40 PM
    i did say "it might seem stupid that it can't"

hardly appologist....read more closely next time, thanks!
    Of course that wasn't the whole quote:

it might seem stupid that the iPhone doesn't allow for such but customized ringers beyond what the iPhone already offers seems almost sophmoric in my opinion.
    You are so FOS. If this was Palm we're talking about you'd slam them.
    08-21-2007 11:44 PM
    3 things:

did you by any chance see how many views some of the "broken antenna" related threads received? did you notice how many users out there actually were looking for second party manufacturers of antennas as trying to get one from Palm usually incurred having to submit the device for repair? and for crying out loud, the comment regarding "the antenna not breaking off" was in jest....go ahead, pull up my original comment (if not the original poster's comment regarding the iPhone's glass screen cracking) and you'll see that you're trying to make something out of nothing.

"falsehood"

antenna's breaking off do happen....hardly a falsehood. keep trying.
    08-21-2007 11:47 PM
    Of course that wasn't the whole quote:

You are so FOS. If this was Palm we're talking about you'd slam them.
    no, Braj, you're full of it, but keep trying if it makes you feel better.

Dutch is right, the stupidity continues.
    08-21-2007 11:48 PM
    Personalized phones anyone? And yes, they're important to some for that very reason. And also to assign different ringtones to different callers.

you CAN assign different ringtones, you make it seem as though one can't. you just can't assign a boyz to men ringtone to a specific caller, and once again i will repeat that it seems stupid that one can't. i personally don't care to, the choices that are available to me seem sufficient, but then again, i don't use them.
    08-21-2007 11:51 PM
    oalveraz, you are such a liar, it's pathetic.

You were not joking on the antenna comment...you just didn't expect to get pwned so fast.

Who care about thread views? That is completely irrelevant.

Less than 6 (actually I think 4) cases of people dropping their Treo and breaking antenna of of how many millions sold?

Yes, it's a falsehood because you implied the problem was a common, known issue. It is not.

No need to try again - the first time was enough to show you were wrong.
    08-22-2007 01:07 AM
    And by the way, the use of ringtones is hardly sophomoric...it's big business.

Face it...Apple excluded it until they could figure out a way to make you pay for them.

But hey, they are just maximizing profit...the fact they got the Euroboys to cough up 10 percent of call and data revenue is a testament to their focus.

The fact they milked AT&T did surprise me, but to see the Euro telecomm bend over was surprising.

I wonder how long before Nokia, Sony, and the other start wanting a cut.
    08-22-2007 01:19 AM
    you CAN assign different ringtones, you make it seem as though one can't. you just can't assign a boyz to men ringtone to a specific caller, and once again i will repeat that it seems stupid that one can't. i personally don't care to, the choices that are available to me seem sufficient, but then again, i don't use them.
    Yeah, the incredibly LAME ones Apple saw fit to provide you with. :thumbsdn:

I would like the option to have a $500-$600 phone ring as I want it to! Just like my phones that costs even less allow you to!
    08-22-2007 02:07 AM
    And by the way, the use of ringtones is hardly sophomoric...it's big business.

Face it...Apple excluded it until they could figure out a way to make you pay for them.

But hey, they are just maximizing profit...the fact they got the Euroboys to cough up 10 percent of call and data revenue is a testament to their focus.

The fact they milked AT&T did surprise me, but to see the Euro telecomm bend over was surprising.

I wonder how long before Nokia, Sony, and the other start wanting a cut.

Nokia and Sony better not start with that :censored: !!
    08-22-2007 02:10 AM
3,194 ... 108109110111112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD