10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I'm not sure about that. Many other smartphones have WIFI.

Surur

OK, then conspiracy theory time: Apple made sure to make the phone get online via EDGE as much as possible. But then they also do have the device try and get on WIFI first, so maybe they aren't trying to make it cost you data minutes (only while roaming, lets assume, since most have unlimited data). And the other things always being on (while I agree is limiting your options) are intended to give the richest browsing experience. I get your Points surur, but they aren't nearly as damning as you make them out to be IMO. I want more options myself, but most wouldn't care and maybe be bothered by the added options (scenario Apple is avoiding: 'Why doesn't my iPhone download the whole email? Why can't I display images in Safari?' answer: because the user is an idiot and doesn't remember they changed those settings). It isn't all black and white whether something is good or not but different for each individual. That's what makes the iPhone suck for some and perfect for others. Or make it suck sometimes for one task and brilliant for another. That's life.

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
Requirements is what the device is supposed to have. According to wikipedia
Try rereading my post and the one of yours i was quoting. You stated that all the stuff i said the iPhone does better than a WM was stuff you wanted, but that you had other requirements. I then said:

How is this different than me requiring a big bright screen, a full browser, style, simplicity, a stable OS and everything else the iPhone has over WM devices and wanting open access to the file system, 3rd party apps, 3G? By your logic that makes my requirements higher. In fact your logic is that anything surur requires takes precedence over anyone elses priorities. I think i got your "simple equation" all figured out.

My requirements are simply different than yours. Notice where i separate my requirements from my "wants" the same way you did. It's pretty obvious that at that point a WM device is below my requirements, but that an iPhone would meet them.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
OK, then conspiracy theory time: Apple made sure to make the phone get online via EDGE as much as possible. But then they also do have the device try and get on WIFI first, so maybe they aren't trying to make it cost you data minutes (only while roaming, lets assume, since most have unlimited data). And the other things always being on (while I agree is limiting your options) are intended to give the richest browsing experience. I get your Points surur, but they aren't nearly as damning as you make them out to be IMO. I want more options myself, but most wouldn't care and maybe be bothered by the added options (scenario Apple is avoiding: 'Why doesn't my iPhone download the whole email? Why can't I display images in Safari?' answer: because the user is an idiot and doesn't remember they changed those settings). It isn't all black and white whether something is good or not but different for each individual. That's what makes the iPhone suck for some and perfect for others. Or make it suck sometimes for one task and brilliant for another. That's life.

Apple excels at designing for the clueless user (and enjoys fleecing them in the process).

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Try rereading my post and the one of yours i was quoting. You stated that all the stuff i said the iPhone does better than a WM was stuff you wanted, but that you had other requirements. I then said:

My requirements are simply different than yours. Notice where i separate my requirements from my "wants" the same way you did. It's pretty obvious that at that point a WM device is below my requirements, but that an iPhone would meet them.

Sorry, in what way does no WM device have " a big bright screen, a full browser, style, simplicity, a stable OS .." ?

When you say want you express a desire, I am expressing a requirement.

Surur

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
It isn't all black and white whether something is good or not but different for each individual.
Oh it's black and white for surur, he's right and anyone who likes their iPhone is a moron. He clearly is pained by the iPhone hype and the fact that the phone is a success. People bought them, people love them and they're getting great reviews. He's cemented in his position and unwilling to even consider that someone else may have different requirements for a phone than him, I mean most of us figured this out on page 2. Why do we come back? :brick:

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Apple excels at designing for the clueless user (and enjoys fleecing them in the process).

Surur

Some users are clueless, that's the reality. Or perhaps they don't have the time nor inclination to get as into their gadgets as we do? I'm sure there are brilliant doctors, lawyers etc. that definitely have a clue but no time to figure out how to get a video to play smoothly on a Treo. I want more in a device (3rd party support would give that to me on the iPhone btw), you want more (and have it with your WM devices) but that doesn't mean everyone does. For them it doesn't suck.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Some users are clueless, that's the reality. Or perhaps they don't have the time nor inclination to get as into their gadgets as we do? I'm sure there are brilliant doctors, lawyers etc. that definitely have a clue but no time to figure out how to get a video to play smoothly on a Treo. I want more in a device (3rd party support would give that to me on the iPhone btw), you want more (and have it with your WM devices) but that doesn't mean everyone does. For them it doesn't suck.

Cant argue with that. Hope they dont travel overseas with their iPhone however.

Surur

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
Cant argue with that. Hope they dont travel overseas with their iPhone however.

Surur
I will be and it shouldnt be an issue. International roaming from cingular/att is pretty cheap, especially in europe. When i was in China i could have picked up a local SIM for my 650, but Cingular's international roaming was cheaper. I use IMAP so im not worried about that, who in the world uses POP these days? I was just in Canada with the phone for about 5 days and the extra cost was minimal.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I will be and it shouldnt be an issue. International roaming from cingular/att is pretty cheap, especially in europe. When i was in China i could have picked up a local SIM for my 650, but Cingular's international roaming was cheaper. I use IMAP so im not worried about that, who in the world uses POP these days? I was just in Canada with the phone for about 5 days and the extra cost was minimal.

So you dont agree with this poster then.

powerbook911
macrumors 65816

I feel bad for the original poster. I looked into this, when I got my phone, and I did some math, and I knew overseas use would be almost impossible at those rates.

I'd be scared to turn it on. ha-ha.

I actually thought the fee was $0.015 per kb. So .005 is better than I thought.

600 MB sure is a lot of use. However, even if someone used 100 MB that would be $500 if the above story is true, so even that is crazy, and I couldn't afford that.

AT&T does need to offer an unlimited international plan like they do for blackberry.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=335874&page=2

Surur

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
POP email is only full download (not headers only?) Is that true? (I'm sure someone who is a heavy iPhone email user can correct...)

Don't know about POP. On imap, it only loads attachments when you view the actual message. Sometimes it doesn't load the attachments until you click the particular attachment icon. I haven't studied it extensively to determine whether it makes that decision based on file size or what, but i've only seen it not download-on-message-view when the file was "large." (When it doesn't download it ahead of time, you get a little icon with an arrow pointing downward. Clicking on it results in the icon changing to the iphone equivalent of hour glass, with a progress counter like "1.4 of 1.8MB" that updates until it finishes.)

I'm also not certain it always loads the full text of the message (when on imap). For large messages i've seen it do the "i'm busy" when i click on them, and had the message fill in a couple seconds later. Don't know if it's a rendering delay or a loading delay, but i suspect the latter.

Update: it says "loading" when doing this, so presumably it's grabbing the message at that time, not merely rendering it.

In short, it appears that it is downloading as little as possible until you ask for it, and deciding on its own, based on size, when to grab stuff automatically as opposed to through human interaction.

POP may be different.

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
Oh and you must have missed the last post in that thread where the OP says that ATT fixed the whole situation.

Word travels fast over the internet...

AT&T just called and agreed to waive all charges due to the "miscommunication." I think they have a customer for life now!

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Millions of people use POP...IMAP is not panacea for everything.

I just tried a quick experiment with POP, and it SEEMS to be behaving the same way. I can try more detailed experiments later.

(Note: i, too, use gmail as my main email. I just forward it to an imap server :)

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Oh and you must have missed the last post in that thread where the OP says that ATT fixed the whole situation.

Wont help you though. If data is $5 per megabyte (which is about right for European rates) would it be very wise to use google maps?

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
When the honeymoon is over...

- why iReturned.

garsgadgets 07-31-2007 15:56

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I returned mine too. My reasons were pretty much the same as yours. Once playing with the screen wore off I came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the $$$$. I still get separation anxiety when I see the commercial on tv. boo hoo

ferniesp 07-31-2007 16:03

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by garsgadgets
I returned mine too. My reasons were pretty much the same as yours. Once playing with the screen wore off I came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the $$$$. I still get separation anxiety when I see the commercial on tv. boo hoo

You hit it right on the head with this one. I agree with you 100%. Once the newness or honeymoon is over, the phone really is not that big of a deal. Over time, once the crowds around you gets smaller, the less appeal the phone has. Still, I get separation anxiety when I see the commercials on tv. Maybe you can agree with me that when you are at a dinner table with friends and family, once the demonstration is over....you sort of feel like....ok...what now?
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1211953

Surur

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
Wont help you though. If data is $5 per megabyte (which is about right for European rates) would it be very wise to use google maps?

Surur
That isnt the fee i will be charged though. Reread that thread again, the data rates are disclosed on ATTs website. What's funny is that with an international roaming data plan i'll pay far less than the Europeans on the same network :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro