According to Reuters:
    Rival Palm Inc. said it could post a small loss and lower revenue this quarter due to slow sales and fears that the iPhone could hurt demand for its Treo smartphones.

"It's likely that as people try (the iPhone) out, there may be some stall in our sell-through," Palm Chief Executive Ed Colligan told Reuters on Thursday.
    Anybody camping out waiting to buy a Foleo?
    06-29-2007 09:36 AM
    According to Reuters:
    Rival Palm Inc. said it could post a small loss and lower revenue this quarter due to slow sales and fears that the iPhone could hurt demand for its Treo smartphones.

"It's likely that as people try (the iPhone) out, there may be some stall in our sell-through," Palm Chief Executive Ed Colligan told Reuters on Thursday.
    Anybody camping out waiting to buy a Foleo?
    Yep. Even Colligan anticipates loss of treo demand due to the iphone. There ya go, folks.
    06-29-2007 09:40 AM
    It might not have been this way had Palm put out something more mainstream than the 680, which WAS supposed to be their mainstream Treo, but ended up being a 650 update mainly. They even lost money to RIM. Those mainstream BBs added up to big RIM profits! Palm cannot break out of it's long time mold.
    06-29-2007 10:01 AM
    According to Reuters:..."It's likely that as people try (the iPhone) out, there may be some stall in our sell-through," Palm Chief Executive Ed Colligan told Reuters on Thursday...
    You think?

I wonder if the Tyrannosaurus looking up at the oncoming comet thought "there may be some stall on our growth patterns"
    06-29-2007 10:02 AM
    heh even so its not particularly smart to say it.
    06-29-2007 10:09 AM
    I would have thought the Treo, by virtue of its design, would have divested itself of the fashion-conscious buyers attracted by the Iphone. I think they will be fine.

Surur
    06-29-2007 10:11 AM
    Well they tried to get fashion conscious with the 680, but it didn't work.
    06-29-2007 10:16 AM
    Ed had better wake up and deal with the loss of revenue caused by lack of support and poor quality control for existing Palm products (700p, 755, etc.) Word of mouth and bad press can cost quite a bit.

DOES NOBODY AT PALM USE THEIR PHONES? HOW CAN SUCH GLARING PROBLEMS AS THE EXTRANEOUS DTMF TONE GET THROUGH QA AND BETA TO THE FINAL RELEASE PRODUCT???!
    06-29-2007 10:17 AM
    So much (so far) for the notion that iPhone would drive the whole smartphone market. It seems that RIM caught most of it, or so they'd have you believe at least:

"I think [Apple] did us a great favor because they drove attention to the converged appliance base. We think the attention given to [the iPhone] and its impact on the dynamic has been overwhelmingly positive for us," said Jim Balsillie, co-CEO at RIM, in a conference call on Thursday.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...ntsrc=hm_topic

With 70%+ increases in sales and profit he may have a point.
    06-29-2007 10:45 AM
    Or maybe the pent up demand for push email, slowed by the litigation that RIM worked out, drove their sales? Remember all the talk of Palm racing into the breach left by the RIM litigation just fizzling away?
    06-29-2007 11:42 AM
    I'm sure the more consumer-friendly product line up isn't hurting either.
    06-29-2007 11:56 AM
    RIM up more than 20% today. PALM down about 3.5%, AAPL up 2.5%, currently.
    06-29-2007 12:04 PM
    Who cares what Ed says? I've met and spoken with him, and he is clueless. He should be put in a time capsule and sent back to 1990s and sell Compaq servers - he probably do that well.

He has been running Palm into the ground.
    06-29-2007 12:05 PM
    Who cares what Ed says? I've met and spoken with him, and he is clueless. He should be put in a time capsule and sent back to 1990s and sell Compaq servers - he probably do that well.

He has been running Palm into the ground.
    so it seems what Palm needs (needed long ago) is a new CEO...
    06-29-2007 12:08 PM
    Now, I'm hearing the EDGE uses are reporting a boost in their download rates to 200 kbps. And, there's a supposed announcement for Monday that Europe will be getting a 3G iPhone towards the end of the year.
    06-29-2007 12:32 PM
    Now, I'm hearing the EDGE uses are reporting a boost in their download rates to 200 kbps. And, there's a supposed announcement for Monday that Europe will be getting a 3G iPhone towards the end of the year.
    Great. I'll be paying eXpansys an extra $200 over US retail for a 3G iPhone.

NOT!
    06-29-2007 02:06 PM
    so it seems what Palm needs (needed long ago) is a new CEO...
    Anyone else want that thankless job?
    06-29-2007 02:33 PM
    Sounds kind of like working for Jerry Jones as head coach of the Cowboys.
    06-29-2007 03:14 PM
    Those who keep complaining about what Palm has failed in should take over, if they have the CEO qualifications of course. Maybe then we can get something truly exciting from Palm for a change in about 3 yrs.! The Foleo was the big announcement this quarter???? It bombed. They're barely talking about it on the news, if at all! Palm failed to grab the right amount of attention again, due to another blah product introduction.
    06-29-2007 05:50 PM
    Yep. Even Colligan anticipates loss of treo demand due to the iphone. There ya go, folks.
    Every phone carrier is having that fear regardless if they are a smartphone developer.

I still think apple is going to lose out in the end though... I think people will be over all disapointed in this version of the iphone.
    06-29-2007 06:51 PM
    Every phone carrier is having that fear regardless if they are a smartphone developer.

I still think apple is going to lose out in the end though... I think people will be over all disapointed in this version of the iphone.
    All speculation. There will always be some, as with ANY new phone, who will express disappointment with this or that, but nevertheless, the iphone will be an outstanding success. No phone pleases everybody, as you know, so naturally there will be some detractors as well as proponents.
    06-29-2007 07:12 PM
    Met him, good guy--Colligan will carefully monitor the virtual keyboard & its software: if iPhone users are comfortable and type as fast or faster -- then the tactile keyboard is facing hard times. The potential gain in screen area is too valuable. As a matter of fact Palm ought to construct a working Treo with extra screen real estate and virt keybd.

iPhone reminds me so much of Sony's TH-55 wifigoodness. If only, eh Sony?

Thinking of all the apps on this Treo and everything the Treo is doing. iPhone isnt close, yet and Steveo won't come close to Treo apps until Rev 3 or 4 (if we're lucky). Smack them palms together and get to work.
    06-29-2007 11:56 PM
    Really? I read this and cannot help thinking of the iPod and the MP3 industry. The early adopters & techies were 'comfortable' with the existing MP3s and were focused on specs. Along came Apple which focused on usability, stylishness and the cool factor. The rest of the world LOVED it.

The story seems to be repeating itself in the phone world. It's amazing how different the iPhone related discussions are on the techie & non-techie forums. We talk specs, they talk usability and convenience. The iphone just seems to make sooo much sense to them while we indulge ourselves by comparing it to our smartphones - which they don't have, by the way. Or have and simply hate.

Apple has obviously put alot of thought into this and though they may have some hiccups, they've changed the phone handset world forever. And we all benefit whether or not we eventually buy the iPhone. The bar has been raised and if the evolution of the iPod and other MP3s is anything to go by, we're in for some pretty interesting times. May the games begin!
    06-30-2007 01:26 AM
    Really? I read this and cannot help thinking of the iPod and the MP3 industry. The early adopters & techies were 'comfortable' with the existing MP3s and were focused on specs. Along came Apple which focused on usability, stylishness and the cool factor. The rest of the world LOVED it.

The story seems to be repeating itself in the phone world. It's amazing how different the iPhone related discussions are on the techie & non-techie forums. We talk specs, they talk usability and convenience. The iphone just seems to make sooo much sense to them while we indulge ourselves by comparing it to our smartphones - which they don't have, by the way. Or have and simply hate.

Apple has obviously put alot of thought into this and though they may have some hiccups, they've changed the phone handset world forever. And we all benefit whether or not we eventually buy the iPhone. The bar has been raised and if the evolution of the iPod and other MP3s is anything to go by, we're in for some pretty interesting times. May the games begin!
    While I certainly don't think the iPhone will be a failure, a comparison to the iPod is a bit weak, if only b/c they are limited to just 1 carrier in the U.S. and lots of people won't drop $200 for ETF and $600 for a phone, plus a more expensive, slower data plan.

That's the difference here: iPods did not require a contract or carrier, hence they were more ubiquitous and easier to adopt. Some "techies" love the idea of the iPhone, a lot of regular people don't give a single thought to it e.g. a bunch of friends of mine, all in their 20's, see no need for anything beyond a basic flip phone.
    06-30-2007 01:35 AM
    Alot of people outside the USA pay full price $500+ for their phones. And for that we get really good reature-rich phones not available in the USA. If Apple releases an unlocked version in the near future, the international market just might outsell the USA.
    06-30-2007 01:50 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD