Colligan anticipates loss of revenue

treobk214

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
Every phone carrier is having that fear regardless if they are a smartphone developer.

I still think apple is going to lose out in the end though... I think people will be over all disapointed in this version of the iphone.

All speculation. There will always be some, as with ANY new phone, who will express disappointment with this or that, but nevertheless, the iphone will be an outstanding success. No phone pleases everybody, as you know, so naturally there will be some detractors as well as proponents.

renn#IM

Mar 6, 2006
Visit site
Colligan has a chance

Met him, good guy--Colligan will carefully monitor the virtual keyboard & its software: if iPhone users are comfortable and type as fast or faster -- then the tactile keyboard is facing hard times. The potential gain in screen area is too valuable. As a matter of fact Palm ought to construct a working Treo with extra screen real estate and virt keybd.

iPhone reminds me so much of Sony's TH-55 wifigoodness. If only, eh Sony?

Thinking of all the apps on this Treo and everything the Treo is doing. iPhone isnt close, yet and Steveo won't come close to Treo apps until Rev 3 or 4 (if we're lucky). Smack them palms together and get to work.

Hellenek

Dec 28, 2006
Visit site
I still think apple is going to lose out in the end though... I think people will be over all disapointed in this version of the iphone.

Really? I read this and cannot help thinking of the iPod and the MP3 industry. The early adopters & techies were 'comfortable' with the existing MP3s and were focused on specs. Along came Apple which focused on usability, stylishness and the cool factor. The rest of the world LOVED it.

The story seems to be repeating itself in the phone world. It's amazing how different the iPhone related discussions are on the techie & non-techie forums. We talk specs, they talk usability and convenience. The iphone just seems to make sooo much sense to them while we indulge ourselves by comparing it to our smartphones - which they don't have, by the way. Or have and simply hate.

Apple has obviously put alot of thought into this and though they may have some hiccups, they've changed the phone handset world forever. And we all benefit whether or not we eventually buy the iPhone. The bar has been raised and if the evolution of the iPod and other MP3s is anything to go by, we're in for some pretty interesting times. May the games begin!

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Really? I read this and cannot help thinking of the iPod and the MP3 industry. The early adopters & techies were 'comfortable' with the existing MP3s and were focused on specs. Along came Apple which focused on usability, stylishness and the cool factor. The rest of the world LOVED it.

The story seems to be repeating itself in the phone world. It's amazing how different the iPhone related discussions are on the techie & non-techie forums. We talk specs, they talk usability and convenience. The iphone just seems to make sooo much sense to them while we indulge ourselves by comparing it to our smartphones - which they don't have, by the way. Or have and simply hate.

Apple has obviously put alot of thought into this and though they may have some hiccups, they've changed the phone handset world forever. And we all benefit whether or not we eventually buy the iPhone. The bar has been raised and if the evolution of the iPod and other MP3s is anything to go by, we're in for some pretty interesting times. May the games begin!
While I certainly don't think the iPhone will be a failure, a comparison to the iPod is a bit weak, if only b/c they are limited to just 1 carrier in the U.S. and lots of people won't drop $200 for ETF and $600 for a phone, plus a more expensive, slower data plan.

That's the difference here: iPods did not require a contract or carrier, hence they were more ubiquitous and easier to adopt. Some "techies" love the idea of the iPhone, a lot of regular people don't give a single thought to it e.g. a bunch of friends of mine, all in their 20's, see no need for anything beyond a basic flip phone.

Hellenek

Dec 28, 2006
Visit site
Alot of people outside the USA pay full price $500+ for their phones. And for that we get really good reature-rich phones not available in the USA. If Apple releases an unlocked version in the near future, the international market just might outsell the USA.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2