The PS3 is an interesting lesson in how past performance is not necessarily a guarantee of future results, and that the public is pretty price sensitive, and how arrogant managers can kill a product.

Surur
    Who is this directed to? All the people in line for the PS3 are now in line at Apple stores.
    06-28-2007 08:23 PM
    is the PS3 reference referring to the PlayStation 3? if so, what has killed that product introduction was the fact that you couldn't play any of your PS2 games on that platform. as a parent, and being fortunate to afford such luxuries, i can say that even i didn't want to spend the required monies for yet ANOTHER platform and ANOTHER library of games.

please forgive me if we're not speaking of the PlayStation3
    06-28-2007 08:28 PM
    is the PS3 reference referring to the PlayStation 3? if so, what has killed that product introduction was the fact that you couldn't play any of your PS2 games on that platform. as a parent, and being fortunate to afford such luxuries, i can say that even i didn't want to spend the required monies for yet ANOTHER platform and ANOTHER library of games.

please forgive me if we're not speaking of the PlayStation3
    In USA the PS3 has 99% PS2 compatibility, in Europe about 60-80%.

Surur
    06-29-2007 02:33 AM
    I also remember the PS3 was late in coming out and even then was incomplete. For $600, shouldn't we have had a completed product?.
    06-29-2007 02:57 AM
    In USA the PS3 has 99% PS2 compatibility, in Europe about 60-80%.

Surur
    appreciate the correction, seriously. i was going by what one of the little ones had mentioned.

does it have something to do with only the new games benefitting from the graphics capability of the new platform?

i would think that anyone with the first mover boxes (xbox 360/live, whatever it's called!) wouldn't purchase the ps3. oh well, something i don't care all that much about anyway.

regards
    06-29-2007 07:57 AM
    does it have something to do with only the new games benefitting from the graphics capability of the new platform?
    In a way. The old games would not be up-converted to HD resolution, and would in fact look worse than they did on normal SD TV's, but things have improved with the various PS3 firmware upgrades, and apparently its not such an issue anymore.

The PS3 however is still suffering a lot in the market, being outsold 2:1 by the Xbox 360 and 4:1 by the Wii.

Surur
    06-29-2007 08:14 AM
    PS3's major issue is the lack of compelling games to buy. Most offered up to this point are not very different from PS2 albeit with improved graphics.
    06-29-2007 08:21 AM
    I use my XBox360 to stream media all the time from my computer. The PS3 and the XBox360 are better media boxes than AppleTV.

Just thought Id bring back this thread
    06-29-2007 08:25 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD