The iphone Impact on Palm....

treobk214

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
....from palminfocenter....

Posted By: Ryan Kairer on Monday, June 25, 2007 10:46:12 AM
Piper Jaffray wireless hardware analyst T. Michael Walkley has released a new research report on Palm and the potential impact of the coming of the iPhone. Walkley says Palm will be the hardest hit by the iPhone and reports on claims that the continued introduction of new Blackberry devices will further hurt sales.

"With the BlackBerry Curve ramping and iPhone launching June 29th at AT&T, we view Treo as the most impacted by these launches and anticipate even further declines in sell through trends." He says clerks at AT&T stores had already reported “frustration” in trying to sell Palm’s "750" series of Treo phones. Moreover, the upcoming introduction of a new model of BlackBerry, the 8830, at Sprint stores, will hurt sales of Palm’s recently introduced Treo 755p model."

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2007/06/25/here-comes-the-iphone-coverage-deluge/

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
have you noticed the increased number of TV advertisements (evening) including both Palm Treos and other cell providers touting their music playing devices? pretty interesting, and telling i suppose.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Now this is a good thread.. will Palm fight back or will they continue to shrivel up and die?! For no matter what Jobs says this IS a foray into the smartphone market!

beachtrader

May 16, 2006
Visit site
I would love to see Palm come out with a Treo which is the next gen--faster processor, more memory, better screen, --must have wi-fi--, etc. You know, all those things they should have to begin with. The true top of the line smart phone.

beachtrader

May 16, 2006
Visit site
"The one big issue for Palm is that, by the time it brings out its new, revolutionary device, Apple will already be on to its next-generation iPhone, which, as evidenced by the progression of the iPod, will be significantly better."

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6717372-1.html

This is the true threat to Palm. The current iPhone is not a problem and can be dismissed as a threat to the current Treo. However, the 2nd and 3rd generations are going to be vastly superior to the 1st generation of iPhone. Apple doesn't tend to rest on its laurels with a product. If Palm doesn't come out with something dramtic in the Treo line (no re-packaging of the same thing) Apple will blow by Palm and consumers will never look back.

volwrath

Oct 11, 2006
Visit site
If Palm were smart, they would have started advertising this week showing a 800w with 320x240 widescreen similiar to Q(or 320x320 sq as now), with sexy curves and thin, tout the broadband similiar to sprint cingular commercials, show pocket player (for media) built in, built in GPS, slingbox, point out what it can do vs the iphone, then end the ad with iWhat? Instead they are conceding the launch of the iphone to apple

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
If Palm were smart, they would have started advertising this week showing a 800w with 320x240 widescreen similiar to Q(or 320x320 sq as now), with sexy curves and thin, tout the broadband similiar to sprint cingular commercials, show pocket player (for media) built in, built in GPS, slingbox, point out what it can do vs the iphone, then end the ad with iWhat? Instead they are conceding the launch of the iphone to apple

Oh no they did not...they lauched Foleo ahead of iPhone...:p

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
If they were smart they would have made that device.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
All though that woudl be awesome and that may happen this fall if the 800w rumors are accurate (I think they are), in fairness to Palm they cannot announce a device for Sprint, Verizon or any U.S. Carrier until they are allowed to.

In other words, what good would it be to show a device that cannot be sold?

The real blame here would be the carriers: had they wanted to do the above, they could have commisioned anyone to make that device and do that campaign, assuming the device was done testing and ready to launch.

Don't forget, these device manufactures are bound by contracts to the carriers, not the people. Hence the problem in the industry. :thumbsdn:

volwrath

Oct 11, 2006
Visit site
All though that woudl be awesome and that may happen this fall if the 800w rumors are accurate (I think they are), in fairness to Palm they cannot announce a device for Sprint, Verizon or any U.S. Carrier until they are allowed to.

In other words, what good would it be to show a device that cannot be sold?

The real blame here would be the carriers: had they wanted to do the above, they could have commisioned anyone to make that device and do that campaign, assuming the device was done testing and ready to launch.

Don't forget, these device manufactures are bound by contracts to the carriers, not the people. Hence the problem in the industry. :thumbsdn:

Well that is a good point, but if Sprint could market properly we wouldnt have all these SERO plans and I wouldnt have my $5 EVDO service, so it is a double-edged sword.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Well that is a good point, but if Sprint could market properly we wouldnt have all these SERO plans and I wouldnt have my $5 EVDO service, so it is a double-edged sword.
lol, ahhh SERO, the land of the free ;)

Well, begingin July 1st, Sprint, dropping the Nextel brand, will be repositioning itself by emphasizing it's super fast and low-priced network.

It's a tiny, tiny start.

Like I've said before: the benefit of the iPhone will be huge for everyone, as now everyone is scrambling to compete which ='s risk taking. That's what is needed for innovation.

volwrath

Oct 11, 2006
Visit site
lol, ahhh SERO, the land of the free ;)

Well, begingin July 1st, Sprint, dropping the Nextel brand, will be repositioning itself by emphasizing it's super fast and low-priced network.

It's a tiny, tiny start.

Like I've said before: the benefit of the iPhone will be huge for everyone, as now everyone is scrambling to compete which ='s risk taking. That's what is needed for innovation.

Hmm I dont know that risk taking is what is needed, but rather a fully functional, and quick GUI interface. One must tweak (ok, overhaul) the 700WX (which is the best smartphone IMO) for maximum functionality and flexibility. And for the average Joe, the interface simply is too tough. The smartphones do a little better in that regard. So when Apple comes out with a flashy gui thats easy to operate and ties the apple mystique to it, it does shake the market up, which as you correctly point out is a good thing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh