Palm Treo and Apple iPhone: lets hear it

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
I think everyone is happy that other companies see Apple as a threat (rather than laugh them off - the iPod history has made sure of that). We all want to see further innovation. That said it doesn't mean any device including said iPhone has reached where we want it to go (it could've imo but they left out a lot they thought wassn't necessary etc), hence why A LOT of ppl including those supposedly "bashing" the iPhone are eagerly awaiting v2.0 and so on i.e. future phones.

Now that the ante is upped let's see in the next year or two who comes out on top. And let's hope they don't come out with good technology that is tied down to bad options (here I refer to AT&T's iPhone monopoly lock on a GSm phone for 5 yrs)!

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
I think everyone is happy that other companies see Apple as a threat (rather than laugh them off - the iPod history has made sure of that). We all want to see further innovation. That said it doesn't mean any device including said iPhone has reached where we want it to go (it could've imo but they left out a lot they thought wassn't necessary etc), hence why A LOT of ppl including those supposedly "bashing" the iPhone are eagerly awaiting v2.0 and so on i.e. future phones.

Now that the ante is upped let's see in the next year or two who comes out on top. And let's hope they don't come out with good technology that is tied down to bad options (here I refer to AT&T's iPhone monopoly lock on a GSm phone for 5 yrs)!

Good points all, particularly the highlighted passage above. Hubris gets many companies and Apple is far from immune (ie - you don't really need a two button mouse - geez). Like you, I'm amazed at the long term tie-in with AT&T, but maybe that's only for GSM versions (we can only hope)? It could also be a sad reflection of the fact that Verizon and Sprint are so controlling they can't even envision releasing any control to handset manuafacturers? Look at the phenomenal Samsung i550; the POS 5 device that could have ruled the converged universe BEFORE Treo; and Sprint killed it because it didn't fit their perceived needs. Then look at the GSM world - HTC releases WM5 adavanced phone overseas, and customer clamor forces Cingualr and T-Mobile to get in line because idiots like me spend a fortune importing and unlocking Q8500 and other WM5 devices and switching SIMS. At least we get a choice that way.
:mad:

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Motorola, Verizon...just about everyone has said the iPhone is great for the industry.

Only 1 of 4 carriers has the iphone, the other 3 need something. For once they might allow more experimentation and risk taking on design and functionality. Till now, the carriers have been quite conservative in what they'll take. If you actually talk to these companies, they'll tell you that carriers are the #1 impediment to new technology/form factors, etc b/c they don't like risk.

Plus now people will expect more from "smartphones" and see them as a consumer, not just a business device. I can't wait to see what happens in the next 12 months. No one will match the iPhone, but it'll drive innovation elsewhere.

UnclePunk

Nov 20, 2004
Visit site
Link re: virtualized Blackberry software (Blackberry Application Suite), in case anyone asks. Thing is supposed to be fundamentally different than Blackberry Connect, which as everyone knows was vaporware for the longest time and never really turned into much when it finally came out:

http://rim.com/news/press/2007/pr-23_04_2007-01.shtml

At this point they're aiming at Windows Mobile 6, but can you imagine if they got this thing running on the iPhone what a boost that would give to it as a corporate device? Again, the crippling factor of the iPhone is the AT&T network. I know Apple was in talks with other carriers... unfortunately Apple wanted too much control, way more than Sprint or Verizon were willing to give up.

syphex#IM

Jun 11, 2007
www.myspace.com
Really? What features are those?

Surur

Thats what im saying!! what features does the iphone have that the treo doesn't? You haven't personally used this phone you don't really know how crappy its going to be. That commercial they have showing You Tube is a joke... are you kidding me??? You Tube over EDGE?? no way in hell it would ever be that smooth and watchable.... There are no great features of the iphone over a treo. I can't wait to see how disapointed people are at this phone after they use it a while. No innovation at all.. the iphone doesn't have one thing NEW on it that some other phone doesn't already have... and btw treo users already have the ability to watch you tube.. and its not that great.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
I think where teh iPhone will inspire competition is the GUI..as said b4 none of the FUNCTIONS are new..but i wouldn't mind the next Palm OS looking like a cross between OS X and Vista myself! Esp as they should b moving to Linux..getting things like Beryl to work on smartphones would sell!

UnclePunk

Nov 20, 2004
Visit site
Thats what im saying!! what features does the iphone have that the treo doesn't? You haven't personally used this phone you don't really know how crappy its going to be. That commercial they have showing You Tube is a joke... are you kidding me??? You Tube over EDGE?? no way in hell it would ever be that smooth and watchable.... There are no great features of the iphone over a treo. I can't wait to see how disapointed people are at this phone after they use it a while. No innovation at all.. the iphone doesn't have one thing NEW on it that some other phone doesn't already have... and btw treo users already have the ability to watch you tube.. and its not that great.

Heh do you work for Palm? Face it, if you're carrying a Treo, you have a dinosaur in your pocket. You don't have to have personally used the device to know what it's capable of. There have been several reviews posted over the past few days by reputable technical columnists (David Pogue, Walt Mossberg) that give you an idea of how it performs. Here's a link to a matrix summarizing many of the reviews thusfar:

http://valleywag.com/tech/critical-consensus/the-iphone-scorecard-272765.php

Since you've asked what it can do above and beyond the Treo, let's review. Bear in mind, some of the functionalities are similar but done much better. Others are truly groundbreaking.

1. Visual voicemail (the ability to see the voicemails that you have and listen to any one without having to listen to others first)
2. The best web browsing experience ever. Have you seen how the web navigation works? No mobile browser comes close to the real deal than this one. Granted, the big issue here is that the iPhone uses the horrible EDGE network. The saving grace here is that the iPhone has wifi and will prioritize wifi over EDGE for data connections wherever possible
3. Multitasking. Palm OS.... hahah Need we go there?
4. On screen keyboard. You have to watch the demo from Apple's website to see how truly intelligent it is. It actually increases the on screen key availability for certain letters based on the remaining word possibilites in the dictionary. Early reviews say it's great. 2-3 days of use, it's horrible. A week or more, you're flying with it. You need to get used to it. The advantages are clear... reclaiming all of that screen space it KEY
5. Cursor movement. Did you see how to reposition the cursor? When you put your hand on the screen it brings up a magnifying glass enlarging the type and easing the move of the cursor to another position
6. Best implementation of google maps to date
7. A mini version of OS X... an awesome, up to date, fully featured OS
8. The first touch screen iPod
9. The likely future ability to download music from the iTunes store directly to the iPhone
10. Breathtaking user interface
11. Custom ringtone support in iTunes 7.3 (any song in the iTunes store can be made into a ringtone). This is rumored but likely true come tomorrow (today at this point)
12. Phone activation from home, not in store, through iTunes... to avoid pressure from pushy salespeople in stores
13. Multitouch. No phone/pda can handle more than one touch at a time to do anything. A first time feature anywhere
14. gyroscopic sensors that sense how the phone is held, changing the orientation of the screen from portrait to landscape automatically
15. Coverflow. Wow... scroll through your music collection by album cover and seelect albums and songs from them. Try doing that on your Treo
16. Answer a call while listening to music by clicking on a point on the cord. The music fades out and is put on hold and you get the call. Click again it hangs up the call and fades the music back in from where you left off

Again, can the Treo do a lot? Yes. Has Palm innovated AT ALL in the past 5 years? NO. The Folio? What an embarassment. Remember my comment earlier about companies that innovate? How RIM was one of them? Well, since my earlier post, RIM has announced a 3 for 1 stock split and reported better than expected earnings. Palm has also annonced earnings. A disappointing quarter, as expected. Quarterly profits and revenues are both down

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
1. Visual voicemail (the ability to see the voicemails that you have and listen to any one without having to listen to others first)
2. The best web browsing experience ever. Have you seen how the web navigation works? No mobile browser comes close to the real deal than this one. Granted, the big issue here is that the iPhone uses the horrible EDGE network. The saving grace here is that the iPhone has wifi and will prioritize wifi over EDGE for data connections wherever possible
4. On screen keyboard. You have to watch the demo from Apple's website to see how truly intelligent it is. It actually increases the on screen key availability for certain letters based on the remaining word possibilites in the dictionary. Early reviews say it's great. 2-3 days of use, it's horrible. A week or more, you're flying with it. You need to get used to it. The advantages are clear... reclaiming all of that screen space it KEY
5. Cursor movement. Did you see how to reposition the cursor? When you put your hand on the screen it brings up a magnifying glass enlarging the type and easing the move of the cursor to another position
9. The likely future ability to download music from the iTunes store directly to the iPhone
11. Custom ringtone support in iTunes 7.3 (any song in the iTunes store can be made into a ringtone). This is rumored but likely true come tomorrow (today at this point)
12. Phone activation from home, not in store, through iTunes... to avoid pressure from pushy salespeople in stores
13. Multitouch. No phone/pda can handle more than one touch at a time to do anything. A first time feature anywhere
14. gyroscopic sensors that sense how the phone is held, changing the orientation of the screen from portrait to landscape automatically
15. Coverflow. Wow... scroll through your music collection by album cover and seelect albums and songs from them. Try doing that on your Treo
16. Answer a call while listening to music by clicking on a point on the cord. The music fades out and is put on hold and you get the call. Click again it hangs up the call and fades the music back in from where you left off
Archie?

Alrights, lets fisk this:

1) Visual VoiceMail as I pointed out, is now available on BB and coming to WM devices. Same thing, in fact you can even have it transcribed. So yawn.

2) EDGE does suck and there is no Wifi on a train, in a car or just walking about the city. Paying for hotspots is not convenient.

3) WM Treos multitask.

4) Text prediction is standard in WM. In fact, I can choose between 1 and 4 words to be suggested and I even tweaked it to 6 suggestions for extra coverage. It just pops up as you type. You can even select after how many letters it should "guess" what you are saying.

5) Cursor movement. Yeah, awesome.

6) Google Maps: What makes it better than what is on Palm OS or WM5/6? It does all the same, unless you know more? I get directions, turn by turn, address book integration and traffic. satellite and maps view. Did I miss something?

7) WM can use MP3, wav, wmv or midi files for ringers, all at your choosing. No restrictions and for free.

8) I can buy any Sprint phone now on the internet and choose my plan online. I can also buy a phone in store and activate it at my leisure.

9) The taking calls while music playing? Yeah, WM does that too. It'll pause your music, even over BT and take the call.

10) Youtube is done too, though not as pretty as the iPhone (then again I can stream on 3g, so it's a wash):

Screen007-3.png

Sure, I'll give you gyroscopes, sleek UI, multitouch, coverflow, etc.

Now give me Slingbox, 3g, 3rd party apps, a2dp, MMS, IM, one-hand usage and we can call it even? :thumbsup:

Look, it's all relative that's all that matters.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
1. a program away on wm or palm. But props to apple on this one.
2. best web experience? lol
3. mutitasking? i don't care.
4. on screen keyboard is a negative.
5. cursor movement? what? can apple copy and paste? nope? what?
6. iphone has no gps built in. google maps?? get a bt gps
7. so what?
8. so what?
9. umm..so what? lol
10. ooohh..its pretty
11. ringtones? who cares
12. lol...its expensive compared to SERO
13. so what
14. neat..my camera does this
15. so what

Iphone can't tether a laptop. Can't use any third party programs. Can't use slingbox. Slow network. Can't change battery (that has limited charges). No insurance. Can't edit office apps. Can't take video. Can't record calls. Can't control your pc remotely. Can't play any games. Can't download songs or anything really. Can't IM. ETC...

Try doing these things on the iphone :)

UnclePunk

Nov 20, 2004
Visit site
1. a program away on wm or palm. But props to apple on this one.
2. best web experience? lol
3. mutitasking? i don't care.
4. on screen keyboard is a negative.
5. cursor movement? what? can apple copy and paste? nope? what?
6. iphone has no gps built in. google maps?? get a bt gps
7. so what?
8. so what?
9. umm..so what? lol
10. ooohh..its pretty
11. ringtones? who cares
12. lol...its expensive compared to SERO
13. so what
14. neat..my camera does this
15. so what

Iphone can't tether a laptop. Can't use any third party programs. Can't use slingbox. Slow network. Can't change battery (that has limited charges). No insurance. Can't edit office apps. Can't take video. Can't record calls. Can't control your pc remotely. Can't play any games. Can't download songs or anything really. Can't IM. ETC...

Try doing these things on the iphone :)

:shake: Are you serious? "So what" to all those features? :confused:

I'm not sure how many of those "missing features" were available day 1 for the Treo, so let's see what the iPhone can do after being out for a few days/weeks. If you think that the iPhone won't be able to do everything the Treo can do and WAAAAY more further down the line, you're sadly mistaken. Interestingly enough, it's been floating around on many of the forums that AT&T has *jest* upgraded their EDGE network in some locations, and supposedly the speeds are drasticly better. Not sure why they didn't do this a week or two ago before people started reviewing the iPhone.

Understand this... I have a Treo 700P and don't plan to ditch it to migrate over to AT&T. AT&T sucks as a carrier, for both voice and data. I love my Sero plan and can't see myself paying huge data rate plans. But as a technology enthusiast I can't help but love the iPhone and all the features it has an how it shakes up the whole industry. Let's face it, it's in all ways a superior device. Out the gate it may not have all the identical functionalities of the Treo, but boy! Does it ever have potential to do everything the Treo does and so much more. There's a lot that it does right out the gate that the Treo can only wish it could do. Even the Palm CEO admits it's tough to compete with.

Seems like Treocentral knows that the writing is on the wall for Palm too... just announced the brand new "phonedifferent.com" website, the iPhone version of Treocentral :D I always wondered what the people that run Treocentral would do long term since Palm is a sinking ship

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
10) Youtube is done too, though not as pretty as the iPhone (then again I can stream on 3g, so it's a wash):

Screen007-3.png
Can you actually watch that? It's a square(ish) video on a square screen and still it's using what, 25% of the pixels (120x120?)?

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Can you actually watch that? It's a square(ish) video on a square screen and still it's using what, 25% of the pixels (120x120?)?
It goes "full screen" and does landscape at a single click (see the lower left icon)

As far as can I actually watch that, frame rate and audio are quite high and it is very watchable, though the content kinda sucks :p

Considering it's streaming full from Youtube over 3g and it's free, I'm content.

Screen008-2.png

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
Run UnclePunk RUN!

Heh do you work for Palm? Face it, if you're carrying a Treo, you have a dinosaur in your pocket. You don't have to have personally used the device to know what it's capable of. There have been several reviews posted over the past few days by reputable technical columnists (David Pogue, Walt Mossberg) that give you an idea of how it performs. Here's a link to a matrix summarizing many of the reviews thusfar:

http://valleywag.com/tech/critical-consensus/the-iphone-scorecard-272765.php

Since you've asked what it can do above and beyond the Treo, let's review. Bear in mind, some of the functionalities are similar but done much better. Others are truly groundbreaking.

Again, can the Treo do a lot? Yes. Has Palm innovated AT ALL in the past 5 years? NO. The Folio? What an embarassment. Remember my comment earlier about companies that innovate? How RIM was one of them? Well, since my earlier post, RIM has announced a 3 for 1 stock split and reported better than expected earnings. Palm has also annonced earnings. A disappointing quarter, as expected. Quarterly profits and revenues are both down

You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and anti-iPHONE ideas. You've just crossed over into the iPHONE-HATER ZONE!:cry:

iPhonehavenots

Jun 29, 2007
iphonehavenots.blogspot.com
I have a Treo 750v (Vodafone) that I bought right when it came out at $900 CDN. I am dying to get the iPhone (it will take a while as I am in Canada) Im ok with the 750v except for WM and except for the fact that we are waiting forever for the first update and WM6. So, there is a 95% chance that when the iPhone comes here, I'm right on it. If this thing was offered unlocked, Id be buying it tonite.