Is the iPhone an unfinished product?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
So we have all read the reviews, and while the iPhone appears slick, it appears to lack many basic software features.

These features are found in most $0 phones, like MMS and Video recording, and it lacks obvious features like A2DP found in most modern smartphones.

The fanboys insist these will be added soon after release, but the question then arises why release a device lacking basic functionality? Did Apple miss its own deadlines and is still rushing out an unfinished product?

Surur

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
So we have all read the reviews, and while the iPhone appears slick, it appears to lack many basic software features.

These features are found in most $0 phones, like MMS and Video recording, and it lacks obvious features like A2DP found in most modern smartphones.

The fanboys insist these will be added soon after release, but the question then arises why release a device lacking basic functionality? Did Apple miss its own deadlines and is still rushing out an unfinished product?

Surur
Why don't you buy one, try it out, THEN ask that same question. It will not appear unfinished.

For the record, I do consider myself a fanboy and I am assuming you see it that way too, but I haven't insisted on waiting for anything.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
My comment above was of course hypothetical. I know full well you would have a very difficult time in dealing with the purchase of an Apple iPhone; especially with the dog & pony show you have been pulling here at TreoCentral for the last 6 months.

How you can commit so much of your time to being so negative? Your posts on the iPhone alone are in the thousands - and they are all negative hype. Can you verbalize your intentions here or are we just to assume the obvious.

shadowboxer

Jun 28, 2003
Visit site
Um,
excuse me for asking, but,

do either of you two have a job?

I mean, I sneak a minute or two here, to check the forums, occasionally say something, but GEEEZ

;)

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
, but I haven't insisted on waiting for anything.

I did not say waiting. I said patched after release. Obviously people are expected to put up with limited features now in hope of future fulfillment.

Why would Apple do it this way? Why release on June 29th? It seems they gave themselves a deadline they could not meet, despite pulling people of the Leopard team.

Surur

skfny

Nov 1, 2002
Visit site
Every product on the market is an unfinished product. POS doesn't have voice dialing in the box. WM devices come with a browser that doesn't have a find on page feature. Some people might not care about these features specifically, but every product is missing some features that make people wonder what the designers were thinking.

Dunc

Jun 9, 2002
www.dunc-it.com
Even if Apple releases a half baked iPhone it'll still blow away the current Palm (is that their name today?) offerings. If anyone is release half baked crap it's Palm - what do we pay for a new color, couple more Mbs and the removal of an antenna? Whose are the real suckers here?

Dunc

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Every product on the market is an unfinished product. POS doesn't have voice dialing in the box. WM devices come with a browser that doesn't have a find on page feature. Some people might not care about these features specifically, but every product is missing some features that make people wonder what the designers were thinking.

True, but its the lack of basic features which suggests its a rush job.

Surur

sxtg

Jun 7, 2004
Visit site
Even if Apple releases a half baked iPhone it'll still blow away the current Palm (is that their name today?) offerings. If anyone is release half baked crap it's Palm - what do we pay for a new color, couple more Mbs and the removal of an antenna? Whose are the real suckers here?

Dunc
What does it do thats so far advanced compared to the Treo? Serious question.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Um,
excuse me for asking, but,

do either of you two have a job?

I mean, I sneak a minute or two here, to check the forums, occasionally say something, but GEEEZ

;)
My total number of posts since the introduction of iPhone: 375

surur total number of posts since the introduction of iPhone: over 2,250

ktm97

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
If they put everything on it, then they would have no reason to come out with a new shiny model every 6mos to keep the shareholders happy, not us. When I bought my Treo 600 it was suppose to have wifi, I'm still waiting.

beachtrader

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Anyway, back on topic, does anyone feel the iPhone has been shipped before its fully ready?

Surur

No. If you look at what Jobs says (cut through the marketing hype), the iPhone is a stepped up version of a normal phone which incorporates an iPod. There have been no promises of a end all product. Jobs created the iPhone as a high end phone with new features that a normal phone doesn't have.

You could say the same of a Treo which lacks Wi-Fi and the Windows Treo which lacks threaded messaging (yeah there is a hack but it didn't ship with this). These features are basic to some people, extra non-needed features to others. I've never known one product to fit the needs of every person, and every person has different basic needs.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Anyway, back on topic, does anyone feel the iPhone has been shipped before its fully ready?

Surur

Well, we live in a world where beta products are released and people pay premium prices.

Palm is guilty of this as much as anyone else.

I think the iPhone is being shipped to make the assertion of shipping in Q2. Steve drew the line in Jan, and come hell or high water, he will make the date.

I'm sure there will be all sorts of issues to be fixed, but they will still ship.

Would they like a few more months to tighten it up? Sure. But Steve said Q2.

I really don't fault Apple for any glitches or bug...they comes with the territory.

What unforgivable are the design issues:

- No 3G
- No replaceable battery
- No A2DP
- No cut and paste
- No 3rd party apps (open dev platform)
- Locked to carrier

Visual voicemail - whoo dee doo. Not enough to make me switch whole hog to ATT

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads