Here is the link:
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/usingiphone/keyboard.html

I would check it out, not because it verifies things that I said that no one else knew, like:

• it DOES suggest proper nouns as you type including names and cities and everything else that reside in your address book and it learns as you type.
    • word prediction of course
    • word prediction itself is also used in conjunction with a process of dynamically enlarging tap zones behind the scenes for virtually larger keys.
    • big bubble (magnifying glass) editing lets you touch and hold the screen to get a zoomed in area of text for precise cursor placement with your finger.
    • context sensitive keyboard of course shows up only when needed but also changes appropriately based on the context (like in the case of entering URLs - the space key is replaced with "." "/" and ".com". Utility at its best.

...but check it out because it is rather enlightening and should prove to allay some fears.

40 words a minute
    06-27-2007 02:19 PM
    So..in essence it's T9 (or T9.5 if you like)?
    06-27-2007 02:29 PM
    So..in essence it's T9 (or T9.5 if you like)?
    This makes no sense. Why would this keyboard be like T9?
    06-27-2007 02:40 PM
    Because T9 does spell correction, prediction, and you dont have to aim for a small key, but a larger group of letters. Not much different really, except it will be slower due to no tactile feedback.

Surur
    06-27-2007 02:43 PM
    This makes no sense. Why would this keyboard be like T9?
    T10 then? i10? Still predictive...so what is the dictionary? (we aleady knwo the KB is virtual)
    06-27-2007 02:44 PM
    Here is the link:
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/usingiphone/keyboard.html

I would check it out, not because it verifies things that I said that no one else knew, like:

• it DOES suggest proper nouns as you type including names and cities and everything else that reside in your address book and it learns as you type.
    • word prediction of course
    • word prediction itself is also used in conjunction with a process of dynamically enlarging tap zones behind the scenes for virtually larger keys.
    • big bubble (magnifying glass) editing lets you touch and hold the screen to get a zoomed in area of text for precise cursor placement with your finger.
    • context sensitive keyboard of course shows up only when needed but also changes appropriately based on the context (like in the case of entering URLs - the space key is replaced with "." "/" and ".com". Utility at its best.

...but check it out because it is rather enlightening and should prove to allay some fears.

40 words a minute
    If verifies what you knew and no one else did?

Amazing...you are shown to be wrong, and suddenly you are saying it's what you said all along.

UFB, but you know what, at least you are consistent with the RFD.
    06-27-2007 02:48 PM
    If verifies what you knew and no one else did?

Amazing...you are shown to be wrong, and suddenly you are saying it's what you said all along.

UFB, but you know what, at least you are consistent with the RFD.
    I can't follow your babbling. Can you speak more clearly?
    06-27-2007 03:06 PM
    Mike, you need to speak a bit slower for Acrhie.

Surur
    06-27-2007 03:10 PM
    Will it know what characters to use when I want to use profane language on message boards! F*@&%ing iphone/ jk
    06-27-2007 03:23 PM
    It doesn't learn new words? Tengo thumb, a 10 dollar wm program, sure does...
    06-27-2007 03:28 PM
    It doesn't learn new words? Tengo thumb, a 10 dollar wm program, sure does...
    ???
    I said it does learn.
    06-27-2007 03:35 PM
    ???
    I said it does learn.
    It learns the words you use the most and recommends them first. It said nothing about learning NEW words...
    06-27-2007 03:48 PM
    It DOES learn new words.
    06-27-2007 03:56 PM
    I hope so...it would be nice if they said that (if I am wrong, give me a timeline in the video to check, I'm all ears)
    06-27-2007 03:57 PM
    I can't follow your babbling. Can you speak more clearly?
    Speaking more clearly will not improve your comprehension.
    06-27-2007 04:36 PM
    Mike, you need to speak a bit slower for Acrhie.

Surur
    Helmets and short bus, on the way...
    06-27-2007 04:38 PM
    The 2 thumbs were fast so credit to the 5-day learning curve (or has that guy been doing that a few months in prep for the video??) BUT

1. still no tactility - not only the voicemail is visual
    2. imagine how reduced the effficiency would/could be with one finger (as Jobs demoed at WWDC) and/or one HAND (not seen that in the videos yet)
    3.I'm sure plenty ppl can type as (or almost as) fast using 2 thumbs and 100% eyes (as you must with this) on a hard keyboard with their own integrated phone dictionary

4. I don't trust anything that can't eat breathe or crap..so i won't trust dictionaries too much myself - don't use one on my own phone (wonder if they have jamaican dialect in 'em??)
    06-27-2007 05:44 PM
    Now in landscape, but only for Safari (currently):

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/28/te...in&oref=slogin

EDIT. 1000
    06-28-2007 05:10 AM
    Good news about the keyboard. Hopefully they'll issue updates for most/all of the other apps to support widescreen mode as well.
    06-28-2007 07:23 AM
    bruckwine, Surur, mikec, Pattycerts...

What is the big deal here? Like you, I think archie is over the top most of the time in his pro-Apple views, but this thread just proved to me that you guys are acting like a pack of wild dogs to the scent of fresh meat. If he's spreading bull, why not just ignore his post? It's like the old saw about a a tree falling in the forest...who heard it?
    06-28-2007 10:44 AM
    bruckwine, Surur, mikec, Pattycerts...

What is the big deal here? Like you, I think archie is over the top most of the time in his pro-Apple views, but this thread just proved to me that you guys are acting like a pack of wild dogs to the scent of fresh meat. If he's spreading bull, why not just ignore his post? It's like the old saw about a a tree falling in the forest...who heard it?
    dstrauss,

Ignore? Where's the sport in that? :-)

As for the simile that we are "wild dogs", I take great offense at the "wild" adjective. ;-)
    06-28-2007 11:03 AM
    2 points, insulting other members.
    06-28-2007 11:05 AM
    :stick: :cheers:

I KNOW you two are secretly numbers 1 & 2 in the NYC Apple store line. Enjoy your new iPhones tomorrow.

Oops; is that two more points?
    06-28-2007 11:47 AM
    2 points, insulting other members.
    Oops! No more speculation about x's intelligence.:o

Surur
    06-28-2007 11:52 AM
    In the video he says "Of-TEN", instead of "offen".

Tsk tsk.
    06-28-2007 02:24 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD