5 reasons not to get iPhone

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
That may be the "rule of thumb" for a savvy consumer, but it's not the MO of a true geek. A *true* geek is an early adopter, usually overpaying and acting as a beta tester for the "privilege."
Geeks are not the iPhone market. Heat-seekers, not Geeks, buy iPhones.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Face it guys, it is all about the money.

If money were no object, everyone would want one. Imagine the length of the lines if the price were not this high.

Apple is the most savvy of pricing strategists. Apple products sell on the street at list, or even slightly above. Yes, they will add features and capacity and lower the prices over time. They will do it at just the right rate to keep sales and margins high.

Yes, there will be a 3G version when AT&T finally builds out their 3G network. Heat-seekers will buy a 2G version and then buy a 3G version when it is available. And yes, they will buy out their old 2 year agreement and sign a new one. (For the GSM user, there is no place to go anyway.) For the real heat-seeker, money is no object.

Since I cannot use my old number or my old SIM, and since I do not plan to give up my 650, I expect that the life total cost of ownership of the iPhone is about $3000-. However, I just reminded myself that I have made thousands of dollars in Apple stock in this year alone. I can pay and pay and pay.

The iPhone is free!

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
I agree but here in the States...

In Europe its not just techies which swap SIM's, its also normal people with more than one cellphone number who want to save on call costs. Remember than in Europe cellphone penetration is > 105%, meaning many people have more than one handset or contract. That is why dual sim phones are increasingly in demand.

Surur

where the iPHONE is being released what do you think the percentage of people who swap SIMs is?

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
correct. not to be argumentative, but, if you ask those around you (friends, family) i'd think that many of the responses would be "what's a sim card?"

maybe i am completely wrong and that's ok too.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
where the iPHONE is being released what do you think the percentage of people who swap SIMs is?

You mean its not coming to Europe? Anyway, we already know that you can swap sims in the iphone. The question was if normal people do this, and the answer is that in Europe they do. In Asia also.

Surur

RICHINMJ

May 28, 2004
Visit site

If money were no object, everyone would want one. Imagine the length of the lines if the price were not this high.

Apple is the most savvy of pricing strategists. Apple products sell on the street at list, or even slightly above. Yes, they will add features and capacity and lower the prices over time. They will do it at just the right rate to keep sales and margins high.

Yes, there will be a 3G version when AT&T finally builds out their 3G network. Heat-seekers will buy a 2G version and then buy a 3G version when it is available. And yes, they will buy out their old 2 year agreement and sign a new one. (For the GSM user, there is no place to go anyway.) For the real heat-seeker, money is no object.

Since I cannot use my old number or my old SIM, and since I do not plan to give up my 650, I expect that the life total cost of ownership of the iPhone is about $3000-. However, I just reminded myself that I have made thousands of dollars in Apple stock in this year alone. I can pay and pay and pay.

The iPhone is free!

Its not about the money at all for me. I have made over 20g in Apple stock and still don't want one. I like my TREO, the slingbox, the games, the e-mail, financial packages, standard palm applications, 8g interchangeable memory cards. If someone were to give me an iPhone, I still wouldn't get it set up. I haven't yet figured out in my inner self if it is a problem with Apple or AT&T.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
Where can you get iPHONE insurance

I understand AT&T WILL NOT OFFER INSURANCE ON THE iPHONE.

Anyone have outside providers?

I also see we are no longer part of TreoCentral?

taroliw

Apr 5, 2005
www.billsden.org
I'm not sure it's the most unexpected of news to be honest. I seem to recall that removable and interchangeable SIMs is a long-standing part of the GSM standard. Can anyone confirm?
You are correct. The surprise had been the suggestion that the iPhone wasn't supposedly going to allow people to remove the SIM. That was apparently an error.

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site

The iPhone is free!

I also have to disagree. You could give me all the money in the world and I wouldn't buy one. You could hand me a free iPhone and I might play with it for a few minutes before setting it down and never touching it again. I certainly wouldn't ever make it my main cell phone.

I don't care how pretty it is, I refuse to use a device that's that restrictive. Especially after using an open platform, it's just impossible to go back.

taroliw

Apr 5, 2005
www.billsden.org
OK, I think I have the answer from the horse's mouth, which is better than hearsay. Looks like all you need to do is get an iPhone data plan and you can use the phone if you already have a contract.

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...mUvbUpU1297756%26subId2%3Dvbim&token=BrLL0Hcx

So I guess you can move your existing SIM over after the phone is activated, since they claim you can pop open the SIM door with a pin.
But doesn't activating the iPhone cause a rate plan (contract) to be associated with it's SIM? Seems to me you'd want to purchase the device and just pop a SIM in, after having the data services enabled on that account.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
correct. not to be argumentative, but, if you ask those around you (friends, family) i'd think that many of the responses would be "what's a sim card?"

maybe i am completely wrong and that's ok too.

OMG I think it's really the US seriously. For example here in the caribbeean even a 8 yr old knows what the SIM card is...kids here have cellphones from age 10 upwards andd it's all GSM (CDMA is inthe US only isn't it). So i guess you'e right for the US , but outside of you guys everyone will know what a SIm is and how to swap it...I would say only the elderly (over 70) here don't know - they just take the phone ffrom their children and sue it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2