5 reasons not to get iPhone

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
I think people underestimate the general public (especially the ones willing to poay $600 for a phone).

These guys are going to want to MMS, . It will be sad really.

Surur

but they'll be able to send photo images via email as an attachment. i don't understand the horror of not having MMS.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I use bloglines too. Its near perfect, especially with the skweezer integration. Even less reason to do RSS first.

Surur

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
c'mon, you know what I meant.

I'm not saying everyone who buys the phone is dumb, but there will be lots of new people who have never used such a device.

It was an off-hand compliment to Apple for offering those services.

Put it this way: do you feel you'll need to attend? I'll assume "no". But some people will need to be walked through it.

(I could have reversed this all by saying "how easy is it to use if they are offering a seminar!!", but I didn't, lol).

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
but they'll be able to send photo images via email as an attachment. i don't understand the horror of not having MMS.

I'll break it down a bit then.

MMS is mobile to mobile, and most mobiles do not have email setup.

The work around is to email a picture via the MMS gateway.

To do this you need to know which network the person is on, which is cumbersome and inelegant. (or there's a service which sorts it for you, but still not elegant).

Lastly, MMS gateways only take pictures < 100 kb, and 2 Megapixel pictures tend to be around 200 kb. The picture will be rejected if its not resized, which may not be possible on the device, and is also inelegant.

Finally, not having an MMS client on your device, you can not receive MMS messages yourself, but I guess those SMS messages with links will be workable.

All in all, its far from slick working around Apple's omission. I am surprised you are defending this, as you have not supported hacking by users to get things working on WM and POS.

Surur

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
i understand what you are saying, and i do have some knowledge on what you are speaking of. all i am saying is that i don't find it to be as terrible as some make it out to be. i will also say that i am surprised that it is not available just as songs in your iTunes library not being able to be used for ringtones. it is odd that it would really turn out to be the case.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
I mean, all kidding aside, the iPhone will be a sleek device and it'll do a lot of neat things and it'll do them well. As much as a WM device? No, but it'll do what it says it'll do (except for EDGE, god help them).

With no 3rd party apps, you'll have stability. Apple is giving free "workshops" for the really dumb to learn everything. It's a device for the masses without needing to think too much (and honestly, I mean that in a sincere sense, not mocking). It's limited now, but no one can deny that with siginificant upgrades (at least an RSS reader) and 3g it could be the new standard.

How about all those Apple employees who just a free 8gb one? Yikes.

I though they had RSS (inside the safari browser)?

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
Seriously Bruckwine...

Archie's sidekick :D nex time tell you iFriend that when he makes sweeping statements about a device of which half are false (First, Largest, Period, bestest etc) and itemises so-called "unique" features then each item is subject to comparison to any other item out there!'

Btw you sure have a way of trying to put words into ppl's mouths! Even I can re-read that post and see he simply pointed out that not having speakers on the back of a hpone isn't unique as archie claimed :crazy:

And resorting to personal insults. How old are you anyway? First the "suicide" post and now implying ppl are on drugs. I wonder if there's any moderation here at all!

The personal insults? Are you just playing devils advocate or are you really that obtuse?

I have seen people make this type of statement many times as to Archie, don't drink the bong water and such, and have yet to see you or anyone else stand up and say stop these personal attacks on Archie.

I really find your additions here far less insightful then most and that is saying a lot.

What I get from your post is you are personally offended by the way the press and Apple have "Hyped" the iPHONE.

We can go back through every board here and find comments from people on Palm and WM devices saying, "They lied to us about this or that."

Call it what you will, pretty, cosmetic, fluff, whatever but it is a HUGE step forward in how people will interact with a phone.

If you have a problem with the way it is marketed who cares. Start a thread about the marketing practices of APPLE and the complicit press.

The iPHONE is not perfect I don't think there is a perfect phone for everyone but it does have several "Revolutionary" interface options that will change the way phones are built in the future.

And to say PALM and WM have been "Heading down that road for a longtime" is a sad and fallacious statement. Apple delivered it first give them credit.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
The personal insults? Are you just playing devils advocate or are you really that obtuse?

I have seen people make this type of statement many times as to Archie, don't drink the bong water and such, and have yet to see you or anyone else stand up and say stop these personal attacks on Archie.

I really find your additions here far less insightful then most and that is saying a lot.

What I get from your post is you are personally offended by the way the press and Apple have "Hyped" the iPHONE.

We can go back through every board here and find comments from people on Palm and WM devices saying, "They lied to us about this or that."

Call it what you will, pretty, cosmetic, fluff, whatever but it is a HUGE step forward in how people will interact with a phone.

If you have a problem with the way it is marketed who cares. Start a thread about the marketing practices of APPLE and the complicit press.

The iPHONE is not perfect I don't think there is a perfect phone for everyone but it does have several "Revolutionary" interface options that will change the way phones are built in the future.

And to say PALM and WM have been "Heading down that road for a longtime" is a sad and fallacious statement. Apple delivered it first give them credit.

Do you need some sleep? when did I post anything about Palm and WM? I don't even use WM!

And here we go with personal insults when you don't have it your way! Yep some ppl do personally insult archie with comments but none involved derogatory taunts about suicide or drug use..they were more like "can you read" and " get real facts next time"...and I personally wasn't one of them (except a reference to dunning kruger syndrome :D ). The things I have seen you posted aimed at persons here have been a first for me on THIS forum .

Next this specific thread is about NOT getting the iPhone, so if you want to talk about "getting the iPhone" then it's YOU who need a new thread :rolleyes: But of course i wouldn't tell you to do that as forums have free speech to a certain extent. As you may or may not notice when I want to start a thread I just click the "next thread' button. :rolleyes:

Finally your "insight" into my posts is irrelevant to me, as you are obviously very insecure (on the web at that). Ppl like you who actually have to resort to making derogatory remarks about others during a discussion amuse me. Why would I care about what you say unless you say it logically? If my comments don't contribute to YOUR experience there is an ignore button if you don't know! :confused:

And wash taht potty mouth :p

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site

well, as embarrassing as it may seem, i have. the analogy i keep making is to that of Rambo, First Blood. I remember Archie's first posts on the iPhone subject matter and i also remember what followed (direct insults and the such); Archie was immediately put on the defensive. then the defensive was taken as an offensive and as true to form a vicious circle was what ensued. i'm not suggesting that one was right and the other bad, only stating what i remember and how i know it to be. the thing is that there are so many around here that simply hate all things iPhone (and i pretty much all things Treo) that it has become easy for them to group, band, gang against anything the individual has to say. remember, this is TreoCentral and anti-Palm is pretty much the minority. i'm not smart enough to follow along with all of the technological dialogue but the individual has had his fair share of criticism and the like. again, think about the movie First Blood, it's up to you to determine who was wrong to begin with.

spirited debate is fun, it's great exercise to take a side and defend one's own thought, but in this case it really has turned beyond silly.

regards

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
Again and this will be that last I mention it...

Do you need some sleep? when did I post anything about Palm and WM? I don't even use WM!

And here we go with personal insults when you don't have it your way! Yep some ppl do personally insult archie with comments but none involved derogatory taunts about suicide or drug use..they were more like "can you read" and " get real facts next time"...and I personally wasn't one of them (except a reference to dunning kruger syndrome :D ). The things I have seen you posted aimed at persons here have been a first for me on THIS forum .

Next this specific thread is about NOT getting the iPhone, so if you want to talk about "getting the iPhone" then it's YOU who need a new thread :rolleyes: But of course i wouldn't tell you to do that as forums have free speech to a certain extent. As you may or may not notice when I want to start a thread I just click the "next thread' button. :rolleyes:

Finally your "insight" into my posts is irrelevant to me, as you are obviously very insecure (on the web at that). Ppl like you who actually have to resort to making derogatory remarks about others during a discussion amuse me. Why would I care about what you say unless you say it logically? If my comments don't contribute to YOUR experience there is an ignore button if you don't know! :confused:

And wash taht potty mouth :p

The comments you took offense to and a few others did as well were sarcasm.

Maybe in poor taste but did you miss the Whitney Houston reference in the "Crack" comment?

I am sorry if they offended you but please look back at some of your own recent posts and see if the tone in them isn't just a little abrasive to those you are responding to and demeaning.

I will take your comments to heart and refrain from future use of my poor use of sarcasm.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site

Maybe in poor taste but did you miss the Whitney Houston reference in the "Crack" comment?

I am sorry if they offended you but please look back at some of your own recent posts and see if the tone in them isn't just a little abrasive to those you are responding to and demeaning.

I will take your comments to heart and refrain from future use of my poor use of sarcasm.

Well tbh as long as you get that. Bante ris somethign I don't mind but when it does get personal it's a no-no (and i missed that Whitney thing). As to abrasive, I have been abrasive with regards to the iPhone - but then it IS a vicious cycle. I critque iPhone, some poster critiques ME for my critique then I go and respond. . .Apart from that I may have been abrasive when faced with illogical arguments (imo) but have never insulted anyone on a personal nature (though I admit implying that dunning kruger thing a few days back about archie due to him implying all us iPhone critics didn't have a clue).

I have already taken it upon myself to ignore such things from now on and thus there will be no cycle - a win-win situation. I think I have already given what I think are the positives (GUI, screen, forcing others to innovate etc) and negatives (no removabe battery, no unlocked models, no keys, tethering to iTunes etc) so it may be that I can now sit back and simply browse witht he occasional post on a new fact!

volwrath

Oct 11, 2006
Visit site

You attacked me and my poor Vols football team... I demand an apology.

PalmFive

May 23, 2007
Visit site
Only 5 reasons? Here's 15 reasons why I won't buy one.

1) No removeable battery

2) No support for Office docs

3) Can't install third party apps
a) No Remote Desktop

4) No keyboard

5) Doesn't sync with Exchange

6) AT&T network sucks

7) No video camera

8) Can't use it as modem

9) No SIM card support, except from AT&T

10) Can't use songs as ring tones, you have to use the 20 ring tones it comes with.

11) No IM

12) No Java support (even though I don't find much use for Java).

13) Requires a 2 year contract with a has been (never was?) company

14) 600 bucks is way too much to pay for a phone. I got my Treo for half of that.

15) No real BT support; can't beam stuff back and forth to my PC, can't beam to a printer.

The only positive I see is that'll push the market, push other companies to out do it.

But out do what? In Palm's case, the Treo is already way ahead.

If I was Palm, the most compelling thing I see is the way the screen changes landscape.

The iPhone will be popular with poseurs, or people who's only use for it is recreation, not, business. Sorry, my Treo buries the iPhone.

iPhone? iHype.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Other then Jason Bourne who really swaps SIM chips between devices? Remember the people on this board are in the minority so I was wondering what percentage of people who buy GSM phones really buy them with the selling point that they can just switch chips?

As an aside, since the chip switch is a no go with the iPHONE I was told you will be able to migrate your contacts and such to the iPHONE through a program some how?

Of course it is an extra $15 bucks!!!

Always the dollars!

I do ALL THE TIME! Others I know do too. Also look on Howard Forums for all the GSM users who swap SIMs. This is one BIG convenience of GSM.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Sarcasm aside, I know it is tough for you but try big guy, do you really think the majority of people who buy GSM phones buy them not because the phone has great features but because they can always swap out chips?

In the case of unlocked phones, yes! But even with locked phones, sometimes you just want or need to use another phone.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Just remember that there is a 10% restocking fee if you open the box. Also, the return period is 14 days. No being able to try this out for 30 days like any other ATT phone and return it with no fee if you don't like it.

Another strike if you can't use the usual ATT return policy! They're making things really NON-consumer friendly for the iPhone if all these things turn out to be true!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods