How to buy a subsidized iPhone

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
as the iPhone has a "special" SIM by all accounts.
This from today indicates that's probably not the case:

Can I use a SIM card from another phone? The iPhone comes with an installed SIM card, the tiny circuit board that stores your account information and phone number. Apple says that you should be able to replace it with any recent AT&T card, once you activate it in iTunes. No other company?s SIM card works in the iPhone.​

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/28/t...db6efe7a2c97ec&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

davidg4781

Jan 11, 2006
Visit site
This is probably just like I said on another thread. The reason the SIM is pre-installed is so that you'll have a recent one when you leave. Unlike when you normally go to buy a phone, the rep. puts everything together and makes sure that it works, this one is going to be just like buying cereal at the grocery store. The cashier scans it, you pay, and you take it home to put it all together.

What kind of chaos would happen if some reps forgot to toss in a SIM inside the bag in all the confusion, and the store was already close. This is done just to ensure nothing silly like that happens.

I think this guy's plan may work, but, if I plan to do it, I would wait a couple of days to see how the activations process works, unless you're willing to take one for the team.

davidg4781

Jan 11, 2006
Visit site
I just thought of something...

If you're planning on buying an iPhone, I'd get a 2nd one and use as a play around phone, and get the discount on that one. I wish I could do that with my Treo, but I'm with Sprint now, and that's not possible.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
This from today indicates that's probably not the case:

Can I use a SIM card from another phone? The iPhone comes with an installed SIM card, the tiny circuit board that stores your account information and phone number. Apple says that you should be able to replace it with any recent AT&T card, once you activate it in iTunes. No other company?s SIM card works in the iPhone.​

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/28/t...db6efe7a2c97ec&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
My interpretation was that it IS special.

Pogue said:
If you mean to insert some other country?s SIM card, no.
So you are locked to AT&T and only AT&T, much like Sprint is via ESN numbers of the device.

You can swap the SIM for another AT&T phone and keep the same account, like I can swap my ESN# for another Sprint phone and keey my account.

Scott R

Oct 29, 2001
tapland.com
The Kaiser doesn't do a whole lot for me.

Tilting screen? Is that really necessary? I'm not going to sit this thing on a desk and poke at the keys like a full-size keyboard. I'm going to hold it in my hands to type, which means that I can tilt the whole thing manually.

3MP camera? I'm not impressed by megapixels. Does it offer noticeably better real-world PQ than other phones? I have no interest in printing photos, but I want a phone with a camera that can take decent photos worth keeping. Unfortunately, there aren't very many phones that fit that bill.

GPS? I like the idea but I wonder how well it would work in my most common GPS-usage scenario: while driving. I don't want to put the phone up near my windshield (where it's harder to reach getting hit with direct sunlight), but if I put it lower (near my stereo), I'd be worried that the GPS chip might have too hard a time picking up a strong signal. If it has an external GPS antenna connector, that would be great, and I'd probably make use of that when in the car. Overall, I do like the idea of having a GPS built-in because it's one less thing to charge/carry, and it could be useful in some scenarios unrelated to door-to-door driving directions (e.g., logging where a photo was taken, getting directions on-foot, etc.).

But it seems like that's it for improvements, and other than the GPS, that seems kind of weak. Any idea why we're not seeing more 640x480 WM devices? The first one came out a long while back and the cost of the screens must surely be a lot more affordable now.

FWIW, sanity has prevailed and I've decided against buying an iPhone tomorrow. My brother is an Apple fanboy and will likely be buying one tomorrow. So my new gameplan is to play with his and see how much I like it. Chance are, though, that I'll end up buying a Sprint Mogul instead, because I really want something that I can develop apps for (and hopefully sell and make lots of money), which is something I wouldn't be able to do with the iPhone.

Interstink

Jan 13, 2007
Visit site
Not sure if this was posted, but this wont work according to ATT. Seems your iphone also stores itunes account info and other information. I guess if you dont plan on syncing it to itunes you are ok...

Im just getting an iphone, adding to a family plan for $20.00 a month. nahhh, im keeping my treo... Ill play with your iPhone.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW