There is another option that is actually the correct one.

- AT&T is not subsidizing the phone, so they have no costs to recoup in data plans. Much better dealings. I for one am actually able to acknowledge and thank Apple for this new methodology.

Anyway, this correct option is the one I stated back in late February or early March I believe. Remember?
    More likely they could not get away charging the PDA data plan for a 2G toy.

Surur
    06-26-2007 05:39 PM
    If there's not a $100.00 to $200.00 discount to go along with the 2 year contract it would be a first . no ? Isn't it common only hearing the list price up to release date ?
    06-26-2007 05:41 PM
    If there's not a $100.00 to $200.00 discount to go along with the 2 year contract it would be a first . no ? Isn't it common only hearing the list price up to release date ?
    I realize that AT&T is handling the release of the iPhone differently than other products...but has anyone heard whether "Premier" customer pricing will be different than "walk in the door" pricing for the devices? Example: AT&T discounted the Blackberry Curve by a couple hundred dollars for Premier customers when it came out last month.
    06-26-2007 05:51 PM

- AT&T is not subsidizing the phone, so they have no costs to recoup in data plans. Much better dealings. I for one am actually able to acknowledge and thank Apple for this new methodology.

Anyway, this correct option is the one I stated back in late February or early March I believe. Remember?
    It's the same plan as the media max plan AT&T already offers, for non-smart phones. I'll go with the non-3G theory, because it coincides with Apple's past behavior.
    06-26-2007 06:03 PM
    It's the same plan as the media max plan AT&T already offers, for non-smart phones. I'll go with the non-3G theory, because it coincides with Apple's past behavior.
    Maybe its actually the non-smartphone part thats relevant?

Surur
    06-26-2007 06:29 PM
    rsnadel:

We (at&t employees) have been told that due to the projected demand for the iPhone, we will not get ANY discounts.
    06-26-2007 06:47 PM
    rsnadel:

We (at&t employees) have been told that due to the projected demand for the iPhone, we will not get ANY discounts.
    Kinda what I expected. Not surprising, given the expected short-term demand. Maybe by end of summer...
    06-26-2007 07:26 PM
    I'll go with the non-3G theory, because it coincides with Apple's past behavior.
    That's right, I forgot about Apple's other phones and the way they had complete disregard for the consumer.
    06-26-2007 07:27 PM
    I'm surprised at these rates. The voice plan part is identical to all current voice plans. And the data plan portion is identical pricing to Media Max, the cheapest category of data plans.

Add on for current users:
    iPhone 200 $20 = Media Max 200 ($20
    iPhone 1500 $30 = Media Max 1500 ($30)
    iPhone unlimited $40 = Media Max Unlimited ($40)

Just add those to the standard $40 and $60 voice plans and you have your packages.

Nice. I was convinced they were going to go with PDA data pricing.
    Lucky bastards.
    Yeah, I was surprised the pricing wasn't higher; happily surprised.
    06-26-2007 09:03 PM

Surur
    The 8125 and Treo 680 are both still only 2G, and they require the same $40 data plan as all of the 3G devices. And a Treo 680 arguably uses less data than an iPhone.

So this theory doesn't hold water. While logical to you and me, that's not how AT&T works.

I think it's more because the data plan is required for 2 full years and there's no subsidy.

Also it's considered a 'consumer' device, not a business device, so I imagine that helps. But they recently created "PDA personal" plans for consumer PDAs. Also it appears iPhone will have exchange activesync support eventually after all, so now it's going to support business use.
    Go figure.
    06-26-2007 11:33 PM

I wish this was an option with all phones. Skip the discount, get a % off your rate plan. I'd rather have that than the subsidy.
    06-26-2007 11:45 PM
    Also it appears iPhone will have exchange activesync support eventually after all, so now it's going to support business use.
    Go figure.
    Please taylorh, show me where you read/heard that! i wonder if this current iphone model will be upgradeable to this once released?

thanks.
    06-27-2007 12:35 AM
    06-27-2007 12:56 AM
    thanks, Pattycerts!
    06-27-2007 01:00 AM
    The 8125 and Treo 680 are both still only 2G, and they require the same $40 data plan as all of the 3G devices. And a Treo 680 arguably uses less data than an iPhone.
    The toy part is the important part.

Surur
    06-27-2007 02:24 AM
    Unfortunately, this confirms the iPhone is off my list for the time being. I cannot deal with MORE contract strangulation.

I will play with any testers they have at the Apple store. But I cannot add this to my ownership.
    06-27-2007 10:23 AM

Surur
    A web site was giving odds on things like people being trampled while trying to buy an iPHONE I will offer 10-1 odds Surur commits suicide when the iPHONE is a hit.
    06-27-2007 10:32 AM
    A web site was giving odds on things like people being trampled while trying to buy an iPHONE I will offer 10-1 odds Surur commits suicide when the iPHONE is a hit.
    Toys can be hits too. I think, in it's present form, iPhone is more toy than tool, but I also think it will sell well, at least initially.

How it sells after the first few months depends not only on what we know now, but also on how "cute" it is in the hand and how much it becomes fashionable. The first can only be gauged after using one, the second defies analysis! Logically, it ought to do badly, but hey, you've still got Bush, and we've just replaced Blair with Brown!
    06-27-2007 10:43 AM
    Llarson, Llarson, Llarson, I always thought iPhone was a guaranteed hit.

Apple knows there are a lot of iMorons in the world. You know, iPhone's natural audience, the people who can not use their phone's address book.

Surur
    06-27-2007 10:44 AM
    Aren't you taking this all just a bit too personal then?! :crazy:

One thing to offer odds on him running thru Times sq naked with an HTC Touch screaming "The End is Near" but to even joke about suicide is a bit crass imo.

When you start writing things like that maybe it's time to leave the conversation.
    06-27-2007 10:47 AM
    To lighten things up after that suicide remark:

A bit off topic but I've seen some people start to sell perfectly good phones and iPods so they can get the iPhone. I wonder if that's a good idea since the phone may not work out for some. You might miss that 80GB and your less restricted phone.

Anyway, I can't wait to see the list on Craigs List ads of all the cool phones and 80GB iPods people will dump to get the iPhone. *rubs hands excitedly*
    06-27-2007 11:02 AM
    I have to agree with bruckwine; this is way too far over the top to ignore. :thumbsdn:
    06-27-2007 11:04 AM

Surur
    LOL you've got a great point there!
    Now all I need to do is convince them that my Treo 750 is a toy.

It just struck me earlier today. Could the reason the iPhone data is only $20 because it's not possible to tether? Since it's garunteed you can't tether, they can reason with the lower cost.
    06-27-2007 06:52 PM

Surur
    eWeek says that I'm right.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2151715,00.asp
    06-28-2007 04:40 PM
    No talk about data plans there, only "selling price."

They came out with a "keyboard instructional video" due to large amounts of bad keyboard reviews, a large amount of doubters, tons of questions, etc.

This was there way of combating the same reviews/doubters of non-3G cellular data.

I will say this though, anyone w/AT&T contemplating getting the iphone that owns a smartphone has at least a 20.00/month reason to keep contemplating..
    06-28-2007 04:56 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD