2 year contract
=$1,979

iphone
600 phone
60 monthly phone & data
2 year contact
=$2,040

Seems pretty close to me.

That seems close, but other plans are much cheaper.

You can get Sprint Treo WX plan, unlimited data (3G) and equivalent minutes for $30-40 a month; if you have more than one phone, it gets even cheaper.

I think the bigger point is that with the iPhone, price is no object. People will pay whatever is shown to them.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
I'm surprised at these rates. The voice plan part is identical to all current voice plans. And the data plan portion is identical pricing to Media Max, the cheapest category of data plans.

Add on for current users:
iPhone 200 $20 = Media Max 200 ($20
iPhone 1500 $30 = Media Max 1500 ($30)
iPhone unlimited $40 = Media Max Unlimited ($40)

Just add those to the standard $40 and $60 voice plans and you have your packages.

Nice. I was convinced they were going to go with PDA data pricing.
Lucky bastards.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
Lucky bastards.

I agree, and was equally wrong about the data price. But that raises another question:

If BUSINESS phones are 40/month for data, why 20 for the iPhone? Must be one of two reasons:

-Looking at this as a CONSUMER device, not a BUSINESS device

or

-No 3G, makes that pill a little easier to swallow.

I guess number two, since that is the biggest gripe people have w/the phone

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
I agree, and was equally wrong about the data price. But that raises another question:

If BUSINESS phones are 40/month for data, why 20 for the iPhone? Must be one of two reasons:

-Looking at this as a CONSUMER device, not a BUSINESS device

or

-No 3G, makes that pill a little easier to swallow.

I guess number two, since that is the biggest gripe people have w/the phone
There is another option that is actually the correct one.

- AT&T is not subsidizing the phone, so they have no costs to recoup in data plans. Much better dealings. I for one am actually able to acknowledge and thank Apple for this new methodology.

Anyway, this correct option is the one I stated back in late February or early March I believe. Remember?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site

- AT&T is not subsidizing the phone, so they have no costs to recoup in data plans. Much better dealings. I for one am actually able to acknowledge and thank Apple for this new methodology.

Anyway, this correct option is the one I stated back in late February or early March I believe. Remember?

More likely they could not get away charging the PDA data plan for a 2G toy.

Surur

byronchurch

Feb 13, 2006
Visit site
If there's not a $100.00 to $200.00 discount to go along with the 2 year contract it would be a first . no ? Isn't it common only hearing the list price up to release date ?

rsnadel

Feb 9, 2007
Visit site
If there's not a $100.00 to $200.00 discount to go along with the 2 year contract it would be a first . no ? Isn't it common only hearing the list price up to release date ?

I realize that AT&T is handling the release of the iPhone differently than other products...but has anyone heard whether "Premier" customer pricing will be different than "walk in the door" pricing for the devices? Example: AT&T discounted the Blackberry Curve by a couple hundred dollars for Premier customers when it came out last month.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com

It's the same plan as the media max plan AT&T already offers, for non-smart phones. I'll go with the non-3G theory, because it coincides with Apple's past behavior.

jlczl

Jan 21, 2004
Visit site
rsnadel:

We (at&t employees) have been told that due to the projected demand for the iPhone, we will not get ANY discounts.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
I'm surprised at these rates. The voice plan part is identical to all current voice plans. And the data plan portion is identical pricing to Media Max, the cheapest category of data plans.

Add on for current users:
iPhone 200 $20 = Media Max 200 ($20
iPhone 1500 $30 = Media Max 1500 ($30)
iPhone unlimited $40 = Media Max Unlimited ($40)

Just add those to the standard $40 and $60 voice plans and you have your packages.

Lucky bastards.
Yeah, I was surprised the pricing wasn't higher; happily surprised.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
More likely they could not get away charging the PDA data plan for a 2G toy.

Surur
The 8125 and Treo 680 are both still only 2G, and they require the same $40 data plan as all of the 3G devices. And a Treo 680 arguably uses less data than an iPhone.

So this theory doesn't hold water. While logical to you and me, that's not how AT&T works.

I think it's more because the data plan is required for 2 full years and there's no subsidy.

Also it's considered a 'consumer' device, not a business device, so I imagine that helps. But they recently created "PDA personal" plans for consumer PDAs. Also it appears iPhone will have exchange activesync support eventually after all, so now it's going to support business use.
Go figure.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info

I wish this was an option with all phones. Skip the discount, get a % off your rate plan. I'd rather have that than the subsidy.

robbrick

Dec 12, 2003
www.dimensiondvd.com
Also it appears iPhone will have exchange activesync support eventually after all, so now it's going to support business use.
Go figure.

Please taylorh, show me where you read/heard that! i wonder if this current iphone model will be upgradeable to this once released?

thanks.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73