Even newer details

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site

Thats all fine and dandy, but I believe it was treobk214 who claimed the ultimate superiority of the IPhone. Will he now concede its just the thinnest device around, (not even the smallest) but otherwise roundly beaten on features?

Surur

treobk214

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
You must be related to Alice in wonderland. You keep expecting me to read your mind and understand what you mean instead of what you write.

Surur

you must be an immature or insecure child, who takes pleasure in posting rude comments.

I believe what i have written expresses what I mean perfectly. I only expect you to understand what I have written, but it would appear you are having trouble doing so. Thats ok. when you get to the fourth grade youll be better at reading comprehension, surur. There, there.

treobk214

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
Thats all fine and dandy, but I believe it was treobk214 who claimed the ultimate superiority of the IPhone. Will he now concede its just the thinnest device around, (not even the smallest) but otherwise roundly beaten on features?

Surur

You show me WHERE exactly i said that the iphone was superior. Wow, youve got issues, surur! Im not kidding. I think you have this obsession with projecting that onto anyone who has even the mildest interest in the iphone. There`s nothing wrong with getting "checked out" for obsessive tendencies you know.

treobk214

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site

Surur

Does it have a virtual keyboard?

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Now we're getting there! Advantage is a very powerful device, no doubt. It's also absolutely massive. 359 g! It's not really the same sort of device as an iPhone at all.

Kaiser is more comparable. Still larger and heavier (160 g) though. Also has a screen half the resolution of an iPhone and, as does the Advantage, lacks the UI and hardware aesthetics (which I personally think are very much better). Also lacks iTunes integration and GBs of integrated storage.

That's not to say that the iPhone is better than the Kaiser or Advantage in every single way. Each of the three has its, ahem, advantages. But to my mind there is no single WM device that's better than the iPhone in all ways and there are probably no current WM phones that are bested by the iPhone in every department either. It's about the blend of what devices can do and how well they do those things. Silly to think otherwise really.

Once again it depends on who you are...in my case for example having a phone screen 2.5" or 3-3.5" makes no difference...my home laptop is 14" my work screen is 20"...3.5 inches doesn't do much more for me if I want to call someone or surf the internet. When I want to do serious stuff I go to the REAL computers.

The iTunes integration is a no-brainer - i don't use that software except on acs because it alrady is integrated..other wise I use better sotware. Thata may be a plus for ppl hooked on iPods, but for those who aren't 9esp if you download rather than buy music) it's a nonissue.

Integrated storage is nice now..but it limits the machine. if you ever want more than 8 GB you MUSt buy a new iPhone whilein my case 16 GB SDHC cards will be available soon and I can get 8 GB right now for less than $100..so add that to the $399 for a treo 680 which comes iwth a 1 GB card and it's the same as a 4GB iPhone (but of course no multitouch).

If you focus on the UI then fine - that's your bag on what makes a good phone. I like nice GUIs but after a week you even forget that they're even there,much less nice and it's about function (at least that's how it is with OS X Tiger and Vista for me).

Hardware aesthetics is subjective as I think curved devices fit my hand better than square ones (e.g. BB curve, treos which curve to the back, better fitting the shape of my irregular cupping palm)

Off topic(?) someone mentioned a good point about the "real internet" keynote comment. There is a reason other phones have not gone the "full" internet road - pl on the road want quick news akin to RSS not fullvblown pages to scroll through while grabbing a cup of coffee on the way to work. Mobile sites are best for mobile uses imo.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Will he now concede its just the thinnest device around, (not even the smallest) but otherwise roundly beaten on features
I'm not going to speak for treobk214, but I certainly wouldn't. My next phone could well be a WM device, but that doesn't mean that I won't be looking enviously at some of the features of the iPhone. As I posted above, I really like the look of UI and hardware. I'd value iTunes integration. Storage looks good. Browser looks like it knocks any other out of the water. Etc, etc. There are big downsides for me too, especially no 3G and possibly the absence of a physical keyboard. I'd also like my next device to have integrated high quality GPS and turn-by-turn navigation software.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I'm not going to speak for treobk214, but I certainly wouldn't. My next phone could well be a WM device, but that doesn't mean that I won't be looking enviously at some of the features of the iPhone. As I posted above, I really like the look of UI and hardware. I'd value iTunes integration. Storage looks good. Browser looks like it knocks any other out of the water. Etc, etc. There are big downsides for me too, especially no 3G and possibly the absence of a physical keyboard. I'd also like my next device to have integrated high quality GPS and turn-by-turn navigation software.

As I said, roundly beaten on features.

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I asked for devices that beat the iphone. i did not say the iphone was superior to ALL devices out there. cripes!

And you dont understand this is the same thing? I dont want to get personal on you, but you seem to have logic problems.

Surur

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I second the mobile sites being better for mobile uses. Even Apple suggests developers create iPhone-specific sites. The Safari system looks nice and I like it, but even for the desktop RSS feeds are getting more popular. Google's RSS is awesome and I can use the desktop to manage what I will see on my Palm. So it is a bit of a stretch to say that Safari feature gives any real usability improvement (we'll have to see in practice, playing with Opera's version in an emulator on the web wasn't incredible really), not to say it isn't nice.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh