Even newer details

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
For all the apple haters, show me something microsoft has done which trumps the iphone.

Even my old dumbphone trumps the iPhone at least in three areas - chat, MMS and 3rd party apps. It actually even has a movie-editing app (when will iMovie make it to the iPhone?)

I'm not an Apple hater by a long shot, just not in illusion that the iPhone is the best mobile device with the most features ever created. It is just another phone with it's own benefits and drawbacks. It could be best for some people and terrible for others. Apple's hype and the fanboy's rantings say otherwise so here we are discussing it.

Munir

Sep 25, 2003
Visit site
In 5 years, we will also have more advanced versions of the iPhone. I have been looking forward to this device, and appreciate how it has shaken things up. There have been a lot of criticisms about this phone that assume it will not be evolving or new features won't continue to be unveiled even for the 1st gen. model. Apple is playing it safe so that things don't get all mucked up, but we can be sure that (unlike Palm) they will respond to market demands from a technology and user-experience standpoint.

Open carrier temporary? I thought AT&T had a 5 year lock. In 5 years, we will have smartphones that are far more advanced/functional.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
For all the apple haters, show me something microsoft has done which trumps the iphone.

And what do you mean by "trump"? If it takes functionality to trump something I'd say any phone that came out in the past year or two. if you mean oooh-aaaah coolness factor then as it IS the latest thing not many..for now. But then again i don't buy things for coolness myself - fads pass away.

For my money I like function, e.g. an XBox 360 or a Wii are in the same range as a desktop PC yet you can play as many if not more games on the PC plus be much more productive (though if you get the formers you can go down the block and say "ooh-aah! I have a Wii")- if I had none and someone gave me $600 I'll go for a PC every time.

Why is MICROSOFT the focus of your question? This isn't a PC debate so to speak and there are other (and bigger maybe) players e.g. Symbian OS. And note I use both macs and pcs..done so for nigh on 6 yrs now.

treobk214

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
41H8%2BKqt5yL._AA280_.jpg

:D

is that a phone? does it do email? web? does it have a virtual keyboard? sms? :D

treobk214

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
Even my old dumbphone trumps the iPhone at least in three areas - chat, MMS and 3rd party apps. It actually even has a movie-editing app (when will iMovie make it to the iPhone?)

I'm not an Apple hater by a long shot, just not in illusion that the iPhone is the best mobile device with the most features ever created. It is just another phone with it's own benefits and drawbacks. It could be best for some people and terrible for others. Apple's hype and the fanboy's rantings say otherwise so here we are discussing it.

Youve just described every type of phone. EVERY phone has its own benefits and drawbacks.. whether it runs windows 6 or anything else. For all the anti-apple ranting here, you might as well categorize that as microsoft hype and fanboy rantings, right? please.

treobk214

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
And what do you mean by "trump"? If it takes functionality to trump something I'd say any phone that came out in the past year or two. if you mean oooh-aaaah coolness factor then as it IS the latest thing not many..for now. But then again i don't buy things for coolness myself - fads pass away.

For my money I like function, e.g. an XBox 360 or a Wii are in the same range as a desktop PC yet you can play as many if not more games on the PC plus be much more productive (though if you get the formers you can go down the block and say "ooh-aah! I have a Wii")- if I had none and someone gave me $600 I'll go for a PC every time.

Why is MICROSOFT the focus of your question? This isn't a PC debate so to speak and there are other (and bigger maybe) players e.g. Symbian OS. And note I use both macs and pcs..done so for nigh on 6 yrs now.

Fads pass away, but innovation leads to enhancement and improved designs. Look at the treo. People said the same about that, but would you consider it a fad? How do you know this is just a fad, and that it wont lead to better more capable devices down the road? Do you have a crystal ball?

treobk214

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
Sorry, but WM6 trumps the IPhone already.

Surur

Tell me, how does WM6 trump the iphone? To answer your question, I think the iphone is a very innovative new device. The multitouch technology is interesting. I think there is room for improvement, but i feel it`s the start of something very successful down the line for apple. EV-DO, availability with other carriers after the 2 year exclusivity contract, among other things. Its a cool device. Whats wrong with finding it to be an interesting product, surur?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
tell me, how does WM6 trump the iphone?

1) support 3rd party apps.
2) supports 3G
3) Exchange integration
4) remote device management - remote wipe, remote policy enforcement
5) You can search your contacts instead of having to scroll.
6) support a wide variety of hardware.

There's more but thats enough for now. Please now tell me
a) why these do not trump the IPhone
and
b) how the IPhone trumps WM6.

Surur

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Fads pass away, but innovation leads to enhancement and improved designs. Look at the treo. People said the same about that, but would you consider it a fad? How do you know this is just a fad, and that it wont lead to better more capable devices down the road? Do you have a crystal ball?

But what exactly is the innovation? Is it taking existing technologies (touchscreen,PMP, phone and putting it into a phone but not increasing the functionality (by exlcuding even more already-existing techonology - 3G, replaceable power units, hard keys)?

Not in my book - it's a new gadget but not evolutionary or even revolutionary yet to me.

The only thing I consider "new" is the multitouch and in my case it doesn't add ANY functionality (keys, scrollers and d-pads do the same thing), but it IS cool (I think I'd rather have that on my 20" apple monitor than a 3 " phone screen if you see what I mean) and a new way to do the same things on a phone. When they add in the total voice domination feature where I can stop using my hands to do stuff THEN I'll be impressed! Perhaps the OS is prettier and faster(?) but that is aesthetics really and things are slowly converging to that form.

Looking at the iPhone there is nothing on it that would make me think..add that to my treo (or my TV, radio, fridge, monitor etc) and it will be more capable. It's like saying I can be more productive with multitouch.

What Tom Cruise did in Minority report was nice (with the images and the orchestra movements of them) but it also looked like a pretty tiring way to look through 5-7 images on a screen!

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
hey, i got one....the iPhone's sleek design (lots less thin than the Treo). it's even less heavy. oops, that would be two.

forgot, we're debating operating systems which consumer america really cares about.

treobk214

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
1) support 3rd party apps.
2) supports 3G
3) Exchange integration
4) remote device management - remote wipe, remote policy enforcement
5) You can search your contacts instead of having to scroll.
6) support a wide variety of hardware.

There's more but thats enough for now. Please now tell me
a) why these do not trump the IPhone
and
b) how the IPhone trumps WM6.

Surur

Youve given me the capabilities of wm6, but what DEVICE with wm6 out there has the ability to blow the iphone out of the water?

treobk214

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
But what exactly is the innovation? Is it taking existing technologies (touchscreen,PMP, phone and putting it into a phone but not increasing the functionality (by exlcuding even more already-existing techonology - 3G, replaceable power units, hard keys)?

Not in my book - it's a new gadget but not evolutionary or even revolutionary yet to me.

The only thing I consider "new" is the multitouch and in my case it doesn't add ANY functionality (keys, scrollers and d-pads do the same thing), but it IS cool (I think I'd rather have that on my 20" apple monitor than a 3 " phone screen if you see what I mean) and a new way to do the same things on a phone. When they add in the total voice domination feature where I can stop using my hands to do stuff THEN I'll be impressed! Perhaps the OS is prettier and faster(?) but that is aesthetics really and things are slowly converging to that form.

Looking at the iPhone there is nothing on it that would make me think..add that to my treo (or my TV, radio, fridge, monitor etc) and it will be more capable. It's like saying I can be more productive with multitouch.

What Tom Cruise did in Minority report was nice (with the images and the orchestra movements of them) but it also looked like a pretty tiring way to look through 5-7 images on a screen!

You could say the same thing about a device with a tiny little keyboard - a tiring way of typing out messages.

treobk214

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
That wasn't the question, was it? MS does not make phones. There are plenty pretty nice WM phones with much better specs than the IPhone.

Surur

That WAS the quesition. Go back and read. Show me something microsoft has done which trumps the iphone. I also asked for a list of devices with better specs AND form factor while we are at it, than the iphone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR