Even newer details

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Perhaps you should replot the graph for him. I'm sort of surprised you haven't done that already :D

Maybe not yet, but to show again Jobs prefer to have his device compared to a high end smartphone:
LHA20070125022523_OR.jpg

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I rather suspect that one was selected for its price point. C'mon, you don't seriously think Apple are targeting this at the enterprise market, do you?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
He's going after the high-end phone market, which just happens to be occupied by smartphones, and claiming his is better.

Surur

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
Clearly of course there is an emphasis on text input in that slide and the iPhone has a requirement for text input - but if you look at the examples of when text input is used in the keynote (personal email, google maps, SMS etc) there's little indication of intended enterprise use.
Oh really? Like when Jobs says the following in his keynote?
Jobs during Jan 07 Keynote said:
10:18am - "It connects to any POP3 or IMAP email -- Yahoo Mail, MS Exchange, Mac Mail... POP3: Gmail, AOL mail, and most ISPs... let's highlight one, Yahoo mail. Today we are announcing Yahoo will offer free push-IMAP email to iPhone customers. This isn't just IMAP, this is push-email, same as a BlackBerry."
Hmmm - that almost sounds like he's comparing iPhone's email to a Blackberry's email. :rolleyes:

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
C'mon chaps, we could bicker back and forth like this for hours, but you know and I know that this product is absolutely not designed for the enterprise market.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
We know, but do those prosumers wlling to spend $600 on a phone know this? If they watched the keynote they may not. He said its smarter than a blackberry, with a better keyboard, gets exchange e-mail and is easier to use. Why would it not work with enterprise?

Surur

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
C'mon chaps, we could bicker back and forth like this for hours, but you know and I know that this product is absolutely not designed for the enterprise market.
That's because we're adaptable mammals...sentient beings, if you will. Steve's not necessarily targeting us - he's after the pod-people - the ones that only ask "How much?" when Steve tells them to spend money. ;) He only needs to whisper such phrases as "like a Blackberry" or "first time ever" and the assimilated begin drooling in Pavlovian fashion. :eek:

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Thank you!

but do those prosumers wlling to spend $600 on a phone know this? If they watched the keynote they may not. He said its smarter than a blackberry, with a better keyboard, gets exchange e-mail and is easier to use. Why would it not work with enterprise?
I've been soundly bashed here before hoping that users do their homework before they buy, but frankly if you expect it connect to your corporate BES because you saw a picture of it next to a BB Pearl, I think you deserve what you get.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Hey, at least they're asking rather than buying and hoping. My faith in the American consumer is restored :D

But while Apple is not marketing the iPhone specifically to businesses, there is little doubt companies will have to accommodate the thousands of employees and executives who will insist on buying the device.

"As if that will stop people from buying them anyway when they hit the market in the US next week," writes Seth Weintraub, editor of Computerworld, in response to the Gartner report.

"The reality is that no matter how hard IT administrators try, the iPhone will be snapped up by their employees - and not just the average Joes either. The device is a status symbol that will likely be bought by business leaders as the digital technorati. Try telling your CEO the iPhone doesn't play well with your IT systems."

Mr Weintraub believes the iPhone will prove popular in business, in part because the Apple handset is expected to be easy to use, making some tasks faster and "companies love productivity from their workers".

And also, he says, because "everyone knows that this is the phone to have".

"As much as the enterprise IT guys will want to recite better specs for rival Windows Mobile devices, nobody wants to hear that. I can imagine any number of CEOs saying: 'I don't care! Just make the iPhone work on our systems!' And if it works for the CEO, you can bet the sales folk will want in on the action, too."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/06/23/wiphone123.xml

You cant fight the hype.

Surur

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
ha

IT depts will do whatwver their business wants, and if hooking up $600 PMP's to their network is what the execs want, so be it. I just thing when they have to sign off on the costs and risks, many will pause.

The iPhone is an entertainment device/toy. It is not a "productivity" enhancer.

GMAFB

HowardH

Jun 20, 2007
Visit site
Just thought I should go on record and say that I'm not "marcol".

Glad to know I'm not the ONLY one that picked up on the "iPhone <> Enterprise" space.

That's not me ramping my own opinion. :)

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
Apple has repeatedly (and repeatedly) said the they are "reinventing the smartphone." This is clearly a device in Apple's vision that will cater to a NEW market, taking people away from many different types of phones. They hope some of those people are Treo users, some have Razr's, etc. We can try and label it all day, but it's a different device. I think it is a great idea, because if they target only one market they can lose. Target the "dumb phone" user and you will have price issues for some. Target the business user and you will have performance issues for some. This way they get some of both. Great idea IMO, and I could give 2 shytes about Apple personally

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen