750 users and the IPHONE

skyking517

Nov 20, 2006
Visit site
Hello All,

I just got done watching the new demo video and I must say I was rather impressed. I am loyal 750 user, but I really want to touch an iphone and see for myself if it as easy to use as the video shows. Most important is the keyboard use. Is anyone else raising an eye brow here, or is it just me??

Tim

skyking517

Nov 20, 2006
Visit site
I did, but it did not answer my questions when it comes to us 750 users...Nice little story and all, but I want to hear from other 750 users.

maevro

Apr 4, 2007
www.homersays.com
Go read the madness that is the iphone forum..

I agree, it is all madness. You think the video on the iPhone is that smooth and they can load and watch youtube videos with no loading time? You think they can browse the internet with no page load on EDGE?

It is all theatrical for the iSheep. I do like how thin they were able to get the iPhone and hope you start to see PPCs that are comparable.

Edit: I am a 750 user and now you have heard from me.

fkpalm

Feb 20, 2002
Visit site
I must say i have the itch but when i stop and start to think about every thing i do on my 750 like tom tom and sling player i say to myself i must be nuts. will not be able to use a nav or sling on the i phone as it is now maybe in the future

Fred

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
Maevro understood me. I was just as much implying that the forum is madness as I was recommending you to read it...

It's probably a download-then-watch system, or at least that's an option. They also mention a new compression method that gives superior quality and lower bandwith, so who knows.

I will probably buy one and try it. I am a phone freak. I have 30 days to return it anyway, so me buying it really doesn't say much. The lack of slingbox will probably make me return it, we'll see.

skyking517

Nov 20, 2006
Visit site
I totally understand....I am not sold at all on the iphone, but I for sure want to check one out at the local store. I love my 750, I am also sure that Telenav will have something up and running for the iphone soon.

aetherion

Jul 21, 2004
Visit site
(coming from an owner of a T650, 700wx, and 750)

I had a weird experience watching the video:
In the first few minutes of the video, I really wanted an iPhone.
By the end, I didn't want one.

There's no question that the interactions with the phone were simple and beautifully executed. What surprised me most was how much touching is required to perform simple tasks. This is especially surprising coming from Apple, of all companies.

Look at each of the tasks, and see how many touches (or "clicks" in the PC world) it takes to do very simple things.

All after you unlock the phone...
Dial a phone number: 2 touches (launch phone app, select Dial Pad, then dial)
Call a contact: multiple touches (launch phone app, flick to contact, choose contact, choose number)
Write an email with punctuation or numbers: constantly toggle between a numbers-only keyboard and a letters keyboard.

As compared to a device with dedicated keys and soft-keys, it takes a TON of user interaction on the iPhone to do relatively simple tasks. And kiss 1-handed operation goodbye, until they go and add something like voice recognition.

skyking517

Nov 20, 2006
Visit site
(coming from an owner of a T650, 700wx, and 750)

I had a weird experience watching the video:
In the first few minutes of the video, I really wanted an iPhone.
By the end, I didn't want one.

There's no question that the interactions with the phone were simple and beautifully executed. What surprised me most was how much touching is required to perform simple tasks. This is especially surprising coming from Apple, of all companies.

Look at each of the tasks, and see how many touches (or "clicks" in the PC world) it takes to do very simple things.

All after you unlock the phone...
Dial a phone number: 2 touches (launch phone app, select Dial Pad, then dial)
Call a contact: multiple touches (launch phone app, flick to contact, choose contact, choose number)
Write an email with punctuation or numbers: constantly toggle between a numbers-only keyboard and a letters keyboard.

As compared to a device with dedicated keys and soft-keys, it takes a TON of user interaction on the iPhone to do relatively simple tasks. And kiss 1-handed operation goodbye, until they go and add something like voice recognition.

Good points

seaflipper

Feb 14, 2005
Visit site
The iPhone is not a business phone, plain and simple. It can't compete with any of the Treo line or Blackberry for true enterprise level functionality. In that regard I don't think any comparison is needed - it's just not the same.

That being said, it sure is a cool device, it would be fun to have and play with but in the end it's not going to be the device I need to use for work on a day in and day out basis

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
one handed

To me, one handed use key...the iPhone seems to require two hands to do most things.

Unless you can use it one handed easily and they aren't showing that.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I just bought a Blackjack and I'm a 750 owner also. I guess I need functionality more than coolness at this point. The QWERTY keyboard has already come in handy! Plus I didn't have to beg ATT for a contract renewal since the Blackjack is more open to just accepting SIM cards.

I will probably still play with one in the store. I just am torn about contract requirements and price. Even the 750 is now lower than the iPhone!!

PalmFive

May 23, 2007
Visit site
I think the comments here are right on.

It's a way cool, slick device. But it's not for business. My Treo doesn't look as good, but it's got more stuff I need, that's for sure.

I also liked the comments about the "iSheep". funny. I know better, browsing will not be that fast. It's on AT&T, it'll be slooooooooooow. YouTube? It's not for me, I don't care about it.

I ski a lot. I wonder how it'll do in the cold? On the chair lift, you'd have to take your gloves off to use it?? Brrrr. I can keep my gloves on while using my Treo.

As I watched the video, I was thinking, "Hmm. It's not good for business, so who really is the customer for a 600 dollar phone"?

You can't use the phone as a modem, no removeable battery, it's missing other key stuff I've come to rely on since my first Palm.

It looks cool and all that, you bet. But it's not for me, not yet anyway. Now I just hope Palm one ups them.

treobk214

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
LOL. You're right :) It's been years since anything from palm wowed the masses like this. My treo looks like old palm visor technology compared to the iphone's innovative user interface.
Fresh new feel vs tired old same ole.

I think it was extremely wise for apple to release a public demo (tutorial) like this prior to the phone's release. Palm should have done the same with their earlier treos to have helped in introducing it to the market. I can see colligan watching that and saying, " dammit, that was a good idea. "

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
^^ bingo! snoop around the forums....more and more "do i need a treo?", "goodbye Treo/Palm" or "i've made the switch to a Blackberry" threads are popping up......why i wonder :)

as for being able to use a Treo with ski gloves on, how couldn't you? it's so freakin big!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2