new iPhone tour posted

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
By your own description you have just declared the Moto Q's keypad the best keyboard ever.
You dismissing the other 5 issues that I wrote about.

Its keyboard is not at the bottom, thumb doesn't cover 5 keys,
That is not true. Your thumb most certainly does cover up and obscure your view of the keys as you type.

small "nipples" on D(5) and J key (for tactile, non-visual orientation),
Are you telling me you can rely on these "nipples" so that you can keep typing without being slowed down and without looking at the keyboard?

This question is of course hypothetical. There is no way this is possible.

tactile feedback, aural feedback (if desired), visual feedback (if needed).
Can you elaborate on this visual feedback you speak of? I am quite aware of this Moto phone and it has no visual feedback that I have seen.

I personally feel the Moto Q is far from the best keyboard around, but using your criteria I guess it is. That you somehow think the iPhone's "keyboard" is just proof you haven't used the Q's.
These sorts of comment that are directed at me are exactly what causes me to think of TreoCentral users as completely disconnected from the real world and truly uninformed.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Braj - Hahahahhahaha

Archie,

Nice try, but no banana.

Tactile feedback is important...it actually requires one sense. Visual requires two senses - tough and sight.

Most prefer tactile response.
You are ignoring one of my main points (others as well), you still have to look at the keyboard as you type. Tactile feedback is important but in the case of small keyboards as those we find on a small handheld, this visual feedback process that i described is MORE important. To sit at a desk and type on large keys is one thing (here you can type without looking at the keyboard because it is of a different design and scale - a human being can quickly gain orientation by position and touch), to hold a miniature keyboard in the palm of your hand is something else and this something else has other rules which have not been fully discovered yet - well, that is until Apple performed the research to discover what works.

So you are saying not only will typing be better (more accurate) and faster, but one handed operation will be better as well?
Yup!

But we'll have to wait and see won't we. You ask as if to clarify to understand what you will believe, but in reality there is no way you will believe me, is there?

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
You dismissing the other 5 issues that I wrote about.
Why not - they are equally false.

That is not true. Your thumb most certainly does cover up and obscure your view of the keys as you type.
Are you daft? Of course it covers up the key I'm punching and the keys below it - like on your desktop's keyboard - like on your iPhone. It does not, however, obscure the key next to my thumb(s) or beyond that.

Are you telling me you can rely on these "nipples" so that you can keep typing without being slowed down and without looking at the keyboard?
Of course. It's how I dial, one-handed, without looking at the phone. Clearly you've never used something like this. Doesn't your desktop keyboard have a raised bit on your J and F keys? All 7 of the keyboards I just checked here in my house do - Even the crappy keyboard on my UX-380N and the Think Outside BT keyboard I use with it. Are you saying you can't figure out how to place your fingers on the home row of a keyboard without looking or are you saying you don't know how to type? :confused:

Can you elaborate on this visual feedback you speak of? I am quite aware of this Moto phone and it has no visual feedback that I have seen.
Umm - sure - it's really very complex: I look at the screen and observe the letters I'm typing on the keyboard are neatly flowing into the application I'm typing into. Is there some sort of better visual feedback than direct visual feedback? :shake: I'd like to modify my earlier comment - you've actually never used an electronic device before, have you? Is your mom reading and replying to these threads for you? :rolleyes:

These sorts of comment that are directed at me are exactly what causes me to think of TreoCentral users as completely disconnected from the real world and truly uninformed.
Again, with a single statement, you impeach all other points you attempt to make. :cool: How does it feel to be on the baby seal end of the club?

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
Archie - here's some new information from people who have already seen, touched, and used an iPhone - check out this article where they post:
Engadget said:
- The keyboard was simply described as "disappointing". Keyboarding with two thumbs often registers multiple key presses (two or three at a time) resulting in a lot of mistakes. The best way to type is with a single finger (as shown in most of Apple's demos), but two thumbs is supposedly very difficult. After trying it for a number of days our source gave up using their thumbs.
- The text auto-correction only works well for simple words, but doesn't work for proper names. We can only assume this bit will get better with time as Apple fills out its predictive text dictionary.
- "It won't replace a BlackBerry. It's not good for text input. It's just not a business product."
- The touchscreen was said to, in general, require somewhat hard presses to register input, and needs some getting used to.
Tactile feedback is simple a must for anything but the most casual finger-pointing form of typing. Sounds like the iPhone keyboard may not be the miracle machine you've been describing here, does it? ;)

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
ouch, just read that...it's only one opinion but it suggests what many of us have felt would be limitations.

This surprised me:
Users must scroll through the address book (or use the alphabet-drag on the side) -- one cannot bring up the keyboard and type in a name, as many of us are used to.

It seems to contradict this statement from Archie, unless he meant just email, which I think he did:

Here is a fact for you: you CAN "simply type a few characters of the name in the address box" on the iPhone. I am not sure why you say that a person cannot do this.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Archie - here's some new information from people who have already seen, touched, and used an iPhone - check out this article where they post:
Tactile feedback is simple a must for anything but the most casual finger-pointing form of typing. Sounds like the iPhone keyboard may not be the miracle machine you've been describing here, does it? ;)

Yep, and I'll take that first-hand account a lot more seriously than a rabid fanboy's speculations about it. If you rely on a lot of data entry and need to use it one0handed the iPhone probably isn't for you - yet. What all smartphones need is speech to text. I know these have a learning curve (the software as well as the user) and what would be best is some sort of long-tyerm user database that you can use across different platforms so you can use the same speech-recognition DB an Mac, Windows, on the phone, everywhere.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
What all smartphones need is speech to text.
Looks like MS thinks the same way...

"Microsoft is internally dogfooding a beta version of voice-enabled Windows Live Search that allows users to speak into the mobile device using the inbuilt microphone and search categories, maps, driving directions, traffic or movies from the search application." (source)

Too bad the DL links don't work :eek: Seems like a great idea though...especially when, you know...driving, lol.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
This surprised me:
It seems to contradict this statement from Archie, unless he meant just email, which I think he did:

Why are you surprised that something Archie says is not accurate. I would actually be surprised by the opposite.

Surur

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Why are you surprised that something Archie says is not accurate. I would actually be surprised by the opposite.

Surur
lol, I was surprised that Apple didn't implement the feature, not so much that Archie was wrong in assuming they of course, would ;)

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
You are ignoring one of my main points (others as well), you still have to look at the keyboard as you type. Tactile feedback is important but in the case of small keyboards as those we find on a small handheld, this visual feedback process that i described is MORE important. To sit at a desk and type on large keys is one thing (here you can type without looking at the keyboard because it is of a different design and scale - a human being can quickly gain orientation by position and touch), to hold a miniature keyboard in the palm of your hand is something else and this something else has other rules which have not been fully discovered yet - well, that is until Apple performed the research to discover what works.
:confused:

Have you EVER used a mobile QWERTY keyboard ?! When I use my treo 680 I rarely look..if I do I look for the first key and after that it's as easy as desktop typing..hence my ability to text and do other things with both my free hand and my eyes...

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Engadget said:
- The keyboard was simply described as "disappointing". Keyboarding with two thumbs often registers multiple key presses (two or three at a time) resulting in a lot of mistakes. The best way to type is with a single finger (as shown in most of Apple's demos), but two thumbs is supposedly very difficult. After trying it for a number of days our source gave up using their thumbs.
- The text auto-correction only works well for simple words, but doesn't work for proper names. We can only assume this bit will get better with time as Apple fills out its predictive text dictionary.
- "It won't replace a BlackBerry. It's not good for text input. It's just not a business product."
- The touchscreen was said to, in general, require somewhat hard presses to register input, and needs some getting used to.

I can assure you this is a bogus report. these things are all false and I can point out 5 things in this list that are tell-tale signs this person has never used the phone.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods