new iPhone tour posted

dutchtrumpet

Dec 20, 2003
Visit site
And you can view Excel, Word and PDF email attachments.

[URL="https://www.apple.com/iphone/usingiphone/guidedtour.html#mn_p]http://www.apple.com/iphone/usingiphone/guidedtour.html[/URL]

meyerweb#CB

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
View office documents! Gee, how exciting. As much as anything, that lack of ability to edit these documents demonstrates Apple's focus on the consumer, rather than the business, user.

Not saying it's good or bad, but it sure doesn't look like a replacement for a Treo to me.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
It's better than nothing.

One thing I would hope you could do at least would be to copy text from an office doc. Otherwise it may be near worthless in a lot of situations.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
some business users still don't need to edit documents...just have access to them for reading purposes...edit when you get back to the hotel room/office.

really isn't that big of a deal...again, go out into the real world (outside of this place) and ask around....see for yourselves how many actually have to be able to "edit" their documents/spreadsheets.

regards

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
ok, saw the docs demo, if you can call it that. It was 2 seconds maybe? I like that you can do the pinch zoom, but it looks like it views docs like you would view a PDF: it doesn't zoom the text size but zooms the document view size, so I don't think docs will be particularly readable. Anyhow, hopefully they come up with a better system by v2.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
some business users still don't need to edit documents...just have access to them for reading purposes...edit when you get back to the hotel room/office.

really isn't that big of a deal...again, go out into the real world (outside of this place) and ask around....see for yourselves how many actually have to be able to "edit" their documents/spreadsheets.

regards

This topic again??? Geez :)

I'm sure most that need this functionality don't post here anyway, so who knows

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site

regards

I live in the real world of Excel documents and Word. What business are you in? I may need to make some change to a doc, or to grab info out of a doc and paste into a memo etc. The fact is I don't know what I need until I need it and having the flexibility to edit is a huge +.

Why don't you just admit when there is a shortcoming to the iPhone? You are as bad as surur just on the other side of the coin. This is a big flaw for me, one that would make me thing twice about going for any length of time without a laptop. I want my phone to fill the gap in a pinch so I can leave the laptop at my desk, in the office, or off the plane. It doesn't have to be the best platform for doc editing but it does have to at least be able to interact with the document beyond PDF-esq viewing.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
iphone, treo, whatever....i don't think the non-ability to edit a doc or spreadsheet is a deal-killer for the general public or some business users. to you it is. the short-coming of the iPhone for the business user is going to be its email capability (or lack thereof), not its lack of doc editing. that's my opinion.

zrs70

Oct 21, 2003
Visit site
Four things I didn't see on the video:

1) in the phone, the ability to dial the "+" symbol (for international dialing)

2) THE CALENDAR!!!!!!!! The was nothing about how ical works on this. I really want to know about adding stuff onto the device.

3) Syncing. I'd love to know how the syncing will initiate.

4) When the phone is syncing, or attached to the power cord, will the phone be usable?

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
iphone, treo, whatever....i don't think the non-ability to edit a doc or spreadsheet is a deal-killer for the general public or some business users. to you it is. the short-coming of the iPhone for the business user is going to be its email capability (or lack thereof), not its lack of doc editing. that's my opinion.

I agree email will be a bigger issue but don't discount Docs to Go and MS Office for WM, they are big Smartphone sellers.

I took issue with your contention that business users don't care about this. As a business user, I can tell you we do.

But anyway, AT&T/Apple look to be aiming for the feature phone market, not the smartphone market, people who haven't gotten videos, email, or the web on their phones before, or have done so on far lesser devices. Maybe they will be ready for business users with v2. By then hopefully it is more of a complete business solution. If Palm doesn't pull their head out their behinds I'll definitely switch over.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
I took issue with your contention that business users don't care about this. As a business user, I can tell you we do.

no, "you" do. i am a business person and use my blackberry (used to be Treos until i had an option not to carry a brick on my person no longer) for business purposes. you need to edit docs, i don't.

:);) :D :( :eek: :p :cool: and all of those other stupid icons and the like!

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Nice demo.

But a couple things..."fastest keyboard on any phone"...um faster than a treo or BB? Doubtful. (But I would love to be proven wrong).

I like how they give tell you to look at your phone while driving.... Opps!

dutchtrumpet

Dec 20, 2003
Visit site
Thanks Dutch; cause of you I had to eat crow elsewhere.
http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=145913&page=3

But needless to say, they've done a good job with the strip tease so far. Jobs drops the big one, then others mop up with
  • longer battery
  • glass screen
  • doc/xls/pdf viewer
  • threaded SMS
By this time next week, they'll be announcing it can slice a ripe tomato without any juice hitting the counter...

Crow is good fixed right:D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner